PDA

View Full Version : Learning with a partner..

Lory
23rd-January-2006, 11:50 PM
There's been quite a bit of discussion on the Learning Ballroom thread, as well as the Learning AT thread, about learning/practising with a partner...

Have you ever considered it?

ducasi
24th-January-2006, 12:31 AM
I've partnered up a few times for fixed-partner workshops and the like, and I have a "just-a-friend-not-a-partner" who I sometimes do a little practising with and we can discuss aspects of our dancing without fear of offending...

But I'd a proper partner whom I can practice and learn new things with on a regular basis.

It'd be a big commitment though, and there's not that many folks who are that committed to their own dancing never mind those prepared to commit to helping someone else. :flower:

Lynn
24th-January-2006, 12:34 AM
There's been quite a bit of discussion on the Learning Ballroom thread, as well as the Learning AT thread, about learning/practising with a partner...

Have you ever considered it?I would love one! Even for a while as a trial.

The main reason I've never gone to ballroom classes is because you really need a partner to attend.

Also for doing workshops - not having to be fixed partners during the workshop, but attending the same workshop and then going over what was learnt later would be very useful.

Problem is that most the guys here (so far) are mainly 'social dancers' - happy to learn a bit more, but not fussed on actually working on improving dancing to the point of having distinct practice time, and the few that are already have dance partners.

(And I have a sneaking suspicion that I'd now also like a dance partner to be interested in AT, which further narrows the field.)

Barry Shnikov
24th-January-2006, 12:51 AM
Can I just say...

(Not that I have a better alternative, but...)

I loathe the phrase 'gender balanced'.

(got that off my chest:wink: )

LMC
24th-January-2006, 12:57 AM
What Lynn said.

Can we clone Kev F a few dozen times so there's enough for one each?

Lynn
24th-January-2006, 01:01 AM
Can we clone Kev F a few dozen times so there's enough for one each?:yeah:

I have just been thinking about this (having a partner that is, not cloning Kev F :rofl:, I'm waiting till the doll hits the shops) and have just commented in the ballroom thread that if a class is rotated (which I greatly prefer) I would want to rotate even if I had a dance partner, and still mix as much with other dancers in the freestyle. It would be for additional practice sessions or working out a particular problem, that I would love a partner.

JonD
24th-January-2006, 01:03 AM
I'm incredibly lucky to have Julie to dance with and really value the time we spend together. She has danced since she was a child and has a huge fund of knowledge and experience which she shares with me. She competed in ballroom and latin for years and is going to start studying for her ballroom teaching qualifications in February so can really help a relative novice like me. Added to that, we seem to "feel the music" in the same way and can work together to improve our technique or study a figure without any impatience, friction or antagonism (it can get a bit heated but never unpleasant). I'd never have improved so much or enjoyed my dancing so much if I hadn't met her - we spent a couple of hours on Sunday working on some stuff and it was a pure pleasure. She's a beautiful person.

At classes or socials we don't dance together exclusively but "touch base" every now and then and relish a few dances together. I just wish she didn't have so many "special" tracks though - I can never recognise the damn things from the first couple of bars and always end up dancing with someone else which makes for an unquiet life!

philsmove
24th-January-2006, 12:34 PM
I have “partnered” with someone for my AT beginners class

We do not fix during the class, none of the beginners fix during lessons,

But we do practice together and compare notes, before and after the lessons

And this has proved a great help

Having a partner for your fist Milonga is really nice, as it can be an intimidating experience

LMC
24th-January-2006, 05:11 PM
: (in class) I would want to rotate even if I had a dance partner, and still mix as much with other dancers in the freestyle. It would be for additional practice sessions or working out a particular problem, that I would love a partner.
:yeah: (shame you can't make smileys bigger for emphasis)

Looking forward to my first AT lesson tonight :clap: :clap:

philsmove
24th-January-2006, 06:18 PM

good luck hope you make it this time :hug:

Tazmanian Devil
24th-January-2006, 08:58 PM
:yeah: (shame you can't make smileys bigger for emphasis)

Good luck

jivecat
31st-January-2006, 11:33 AM
I'd be interested in hearing more about the kind of stuff that people work on with a partner and methods of working. Do people plan an agenda in advance or just dance and see what transpires? What kind of things would people put on an agenda for the session? Does it make a difference if you're working towards competing or just wanting to improve in general? Are there any pitfalls that should be avoided? And how do you measure how successful it's been? (Sorry, I'm an infant teacher, my brain is now controlled by OFSTED.)

Hope some old-hands at this will reply.

Mary
31st-January-2006, 12:34 PM
I have partnered up with a few people over the last few years and enjoy any intensive practise sessions.

First off I was partnering with Sheepy for our first competition together (Blackpool). Didn't really know what to do with our first session (I use a local church hall which doesn't cost very much!), but thought we should have some kind of agenda for the session. As I remember we started off just freestyling to some music and videoing it (that one is always a shock first time!). Once you get going an agenda then starts to develop naturally depending on what you are practising for. When Tony and I were practising for the aerials category we would practise the aerials, but when we tried to freestyle them, nothing happened so the sessions came to be about how to work the aerials into freestyle.

Another dance friend and I spent some time doing practise sessions just for the hell of it. We both had different approaches which worked really well. I would hate some of the moves he wanted to work on and he would hate some of the stuff I liked! But between us we developed some stuff that we both liked and spent a lot of time working out the lead and follow aspects of developing these moves (all of them nicked and adapted of course :devil:)

I found that different people work differently with each other. And even when Tony and I have a really bad session with big rows and even bigger sulks, we always come away having achieved something.

Not sure if any of this helps, but thought I would pass it on anyway.:D

M

El Salsero Gringo
31st-January-2006, 05:24 PM
Another dance friend and I spent some time doing practise sessions just for the hell of it. It did wonders for me.

Lory
31st-January-2006, 05:35 PM
It did wonders for me.
I can vouch for that!

Your dancing (connection and lead) improved dramatically after you'd been practising with Mary ;)

Zebra Woman
31st-January-2006, 06:16 PM
I can vouch for that!

Your dancing (connection and lead) improved dramatically after you'd been practising with Mary ;)

Yes I think we all benefitted from Mary's efforts. ISTR not liking some of the moves ECG was liking too. I think I liked the same moves Mary liked....

I have finally answered the poll.

Over the last few years I have never been that fussed about having a dance partner as I love to be free. But this Christmas I enjoyed a free sample of having Kev F as a dance partner while Lory was away.

I did find I was looking forward to going out dancing far more knowing that Kev would be there and he would be up for doing as many Tangos and Cha Chas as I was up for. I deliberately didn't ask him for anything in terms of commitment because I never ever want anyone to dance with me out of a sense of duty plus wasn't sure if Kev wanted a week of complete freedom.

Anyway, I was most chuffed to find that we seemed to be drawn together when the tango/cha cha tracks started and I'm sure my dancing improved as he gave me those special :drool: dances over the three evenings we had. I also enjoyed the fact that the usual stresses over the male/female balance was greatly reduced too.

Thanks Kev :hug: I loved it all.

So now the answer is YES I would like to have a dance partner, but he would have to be very special (and patient)....

like Kev :flower:

ZW

Ps I was great to have you back though Lory, really it was :hug: .

Cruella
31st-January-2006, 06:37 PM
Isn't it typical that all the voters on 'I want a dance partner' are female! :rolleyes: The problem isn't just finding a man thats willing, it needs to be someone with the same agenda. You both need to discuss want you want out of the partnership and hope it's the same thing. i.e doing workshops, comps, learning a completely new dance or just working on moves and so much more. Your personalites and level of commitment also need to be compatable. It's no wonder it's so difficult to find a dance partner.:(

Mary
31st-January-2006, 07:16 PM
It did wonders for me.

:blush: :hug:

The only person I know of who can lead a Columbian (and it's variations) without shouting "COLUMBIAN" !!:wink: :D

M

Kev F
31st-January-2006, 07:32 PM
Isn't it typical that all the voters on 'I want a dance partner' are female! :rolleyes: ..... learning a completely new dance or just working on moves and so much more. (

A very good point, made above, is that learning a new dance is sooo difficult for a man. Lets be honest, who wants to be bottom of the class again?? It is a daunting prospect for both parners.

With a partner it is slightly easier, but I've discovered something which hadn't crossed my mind.

The lady in most dances will progress much quicker than the man. :sad: You start equal, with no experience in say tango and then the lady can go on to dance will men of all abilities performing all types of figures etc.:clap: but the mans repertoire is limited to his experience in the respective dance forms.

When you return to your partner it is like 'coming home' as you understand each others styles sooo well, which is lovely......but will our failure to keep up with the ladies natural progression hinder the partnership??? Will the ladies get bored??

We shall see......but does this mean that us men partners days are numbered?? :eek: Will I be advertised on e-bay next week so a newer model can be installed :tears: Hopefully not ! :D

This is a small insight into the mans perspective and you can be sure I'll do everything possible to keep up :clap:

But there is also the flip side which I haven't mentioned... of all the great experiences of dance you and a partner can share :flower:

El Salsero Gringo
31st-January-2006, 07:36 PM
:blush: :hug:

The only person I know of who can lead a Columbian (and it's variations) without shouting "COLUMBIAN" !!:wink: :D

MSomeone else said exactly the same to me on Saturday :blush:

ducasi
31st-January-2006, 08:05 PM
Isn't it typical that all the voters on 'I want a dance partner' are female! :rolleyes: Well I voted "I'd like a partner..." :nice:

The possible partners I have come across either have not been able to commit to the sort of partnership I'd like, or live too far away for a partnership to be more than a fleeting affair for a workshop or two...

I'd love to have a proper partner for all the reasons given in this thread.

In particular:

For workshops
For practice
For learning new dances with
For weekenders

PMs from interested ladies in Glasgow are welcome... :flower:

Andybroom
1st-February-2006, 12:37 AM
Isn't it typical that all the voters on 'I want a dance partner' are female! :rolleyes: The problem isn't just finding a man thats willing, it needs to be someone with the same agenda. (

I guess, from the perspective of a mere male :whistle: I have to say that, if single, the usual attitude is "I don't really want to tie myself to a dancing only relationship in case it gets in the way of something rather more intimate with someone else" and, if not single, the attitude is "My life partner is never gonna believe we are only dance partners". If she's not single it'll be "Her partner is never gonna believe I'm not trying to hit on her".

I've been dancing for donkey's years and I don't think I've ever seen a "dance partner only" relationship last for very long except in one or two cases where the guy concerned was gay.

OK, I know that statement is going to produce a few people who can site examples of long term "dance partner only" relationships that do work, but it's not going to be many. Mostly they either become something more than that or fall apart quite quickly.

In a way I've always considered it slightly odd that women seem to crave "dance partner only" relationships - case of "vive la difference" I guess.

Andy

ducasi
1st-February-2006, 01:12 AM
I guess, from the perspective of a mere male :whistle: I have to say that, if single, the usual attitude is "I don't really want to tie myself to a dancing only relationship in case it gets in the way of something rather more intimate with someone else" and, if not single, the attitude is "My life partner is never gonna believe we are only dance partners". If she's not single it'll be "Her partner is never gonna believe I'm not trying to hit on her". It's funny, but I came to the conclusion recently that intellectually I actually want a dance partner at the moment more than I want a life partner...*

Here's the thinking...

I'd like a life partner.
But there's so much dancing in my life, she'd have to be a dancer.
In fact, she'd have to really share my passion for dancing.
In fact, she'd have to be the sort of girl who I could have as a dance partner.
Hmm... That really limits me...
I know, let's find a dance partner first, and worry about a life partnership later.
Sounds good to me.

Does that make any sense?

This is a conclusion based on pure logical thinking of course... I tend though to allow my emotions to make these sorts of decisions... (Typical male! :rolleyes:)

* I really don't like the term "life partner", but in conversations like this it's good to use the terms "life partner" and "dance partner" to emphasis the similarities between them...

Andybroom
1st-February-2006, 11:34 AM
It's funny, but I came to the conclusion recently that intellectually I actually want a dance partner at the moment more than I want a life partner...*

Here's the thinking...

I'd like a life partner.
But there's so much dancing in my life, she'd have to be a dancer.
In fact, she'd have to really share my passion for dancing.
In fact, she'd have to be the sort of girl who I could have as a dance partner.
Hmm... That really limits me...
I know, let's find a dance partner first, and worry about a life partnership later.
Sounds good to me.

Does that make any sense?

Except that you haven't added point 8 - But if I do that what happens if the door opens and the woman of my dreams walks through .... :wink:

* I really don't like the term "life partner", but in conversations like this it's good to use the terms "life partner" and "dance partner" to emphasis the similarities between them...

:yeah: - Only used the term because it seems to be the politically correct/polite why of differentiating the two at the moment.

Andy

Graham W
1st-February-2006, 12:09 PM
I couldnt do without a dance partner, now,

G

Alice
1st-February-2006, 12:52 PM
Well- Ive had a couple of dance partners in the last year- did a group routine with each and one I also competed with (I found practicing freestyle really hard!!!)
Just agreed to get together with a friend every now and again to work out some JANGO!! Will and Kate are coming out to Sydney and we've both just started some tango- keen to experiment with the hybrid style before they get here.
I would LOVE a regular dance partner who had the same level of commitment and who I could do routines and workshops with, as well as competing (one down and so many more to go:)) Problem is, I think I'm pretty hard to work with, I get a bit perfectionist and have yet to find someone who a) I dance well with and b) wants to put the same amount of time in. (Actually, each of the previous dance partners have had one of these attributes, just not both together! Guess I'm learning what to look for)

In the meantime I'm working on dancing with lots of advanced dancers, working on my freestyle (etc) and finding dance partners as required for routines (these are group routines btw, I hear they're not done much in the UK). Just booked in for two routines for a gala in march but still looking for a partner for the second one. Wish me luck:)

Donna
1st-February-2006, 03:01 PM
I get a bit perfectionist and have yet to find someone who a) I dance well with and b) wants to put the same amount of time in.

It does take a while to adjust to your new partners style before you can start learning new things together. (Unless you are both beginners of course) My partner has been dancing for about 10 years and I've only been doing this for 3. Now I have got used to his way of dancing after one year, we are still learning a heck of lot together. There is the ballroom as well of course and it could take months or even years until it starts to look perfect. My advice would be to practice everyday together, but then nobody seems to have that much time on their hands these days.:sad:

I'd give up my day job to do dancing but then where would I get the money to pay for it all?!

working on my freestyle

Very important to keep freestyling with others if you do have a dance partner because (like me) you start anticipating some of the moves.

Tessalicious
1st-February-2006, 03:17 PM
It did wonders for me.And for me, in turn. :worthy:

I'm now lucky enough to have a partner can teach me loads as well as being thoroughly fun and wonderful to dance with - and can (usually) be relied upon to be going wherever I am! :hug:

Now, if only someone can explain to me how you persuade a donkey to want to go to weekenders or compete...

WittyBird
1st-February-2006, 03:19 PM
Now, if only someone can explain to me how you persuade a donkey to want to go to weekenders or compete...
Give it a kick up the ass.
Give it half an hour lunch like they get at Southend

Tazmanian Devil
1st-February-2006, 03:24 PM
Tell him how great he is, and how if he goes on weekenders he will get to dance with even more amazing dancers. It's challenging and good for the brain. You pick up new styles and moves and get to dance as much as you like.
Or.......

Give it a kick up the ass.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

David Bailey
1st-February-2006, 03:34 PM
Well for goodness sakes, if you find out, don't tell anyone, they'll try it on me next :eek:

Tell him how great he is, and how if he goes on weekenders he will get to dance with even more amazing dancers. It's challenging and good for the brain. You pick up new styles and moves and get to dance as much as you like.
I'm about 96% sure that won't work.

And I'm still waiting for the killer "you must compete, because..." argument.

Zebra Woman
1st-February-2006, 03:38 PM

Have you tried waving a carrot in front of him whilst walking slowly backwards along the road?

El Salsero Gringo
1st-February-2006, 03:40 PM
Have you tried waving a carrot in front of him whilst walking slowly backwards along the road?That's the most appealing suggestion so far. Never understimate the power of a donkey's stomach.

LMC
1st-February-2006, 03:40 PM
And I'm still waiting for the killer "you must compete, because..." argument.
:devil:

"If you loved me..."

David Bailey
1st-February-2006, 04:05 PM
:devil:

"If you loved me..."
Still waiting... :whistle:

ChrisA
1st-February-2006, 04:16 PM
That's the most appealing suggestion so far. Never understimate the power of a donkey's stomach.

Will it get you ruminating on the possibility of competing then?

(yeah, yeah, I know....)

Sparkles
1st-February-2006, 04:27 PM
If you are happy and enjoy dancing with him then maybe that should be enough? Maybe you should consider yourself lucky that you have a guy who is a good dancer to partner you on a regluar basis for practice and freestyle nights? Perhaps it would be wrong of you to try and persuade him to compete or go to weekenders if he doesn't want to?

It is a shame, especially about the weekenders because they're such fun, but it seems you can only lead a horse to water...

David Bailey
1st-February-2006, 04:57 PM
"If you loved me..."
"... you wouldn't ask me to do that" ? :innocent:

LMC
1st-February-2006, 04:59 PM
It took you over an hour to think of that get-out though :rolleyes:

David Bailey
1st-February-2006, 05:01 PM
It took you over an hour to think of that get-out though :rolleyes:
It's worse than that, I didn't even think of it - I was just rephrasing Sparkles' comment as a comeback.

jivecat
1st-February-2006, 07:12 PM
Except that you haven't added point 8 - But if I do that what happens if the door opens and the woman of my dreams walks through .... :wink:

Andy
:confused: Don't see any problem with this. At best he gets a life partner, at least he gets a lovely dance partner. Sounds like a win-win situation to me, espcially as the two are presumably not mutually exclusive.

Thanks for some excellent replies on this thread so far.

This

And even when Tony and I have a really bad session with big rows and even bigger sulks, we always come away having achieved something.
is making me a feel a bit nervous, though. If there's going to be all THAT you might just as well be with your life partner!

(Please don't all write in and say how blissfully happy you are with your LP, never a cross word in 46 years of Ceroc etc. You should know by now I am the official forum cynic. x jivecat)

ducasi
1st-February-2006, 08:04 PM
:confused: Don't see any problem with this. At best he gets a life partner, at least he gets a lovely dance partner. Sounds like a win-win situation to me, espcially as the two are presumably not mutually exclusive. Exactly. Though if my new life partner were also a keen dancer... I guess we could always specialise in Double Trouble... :nice:

Andreas
1st-February-2006, 08:32 PM
The poll is missing the option 'Had a partner, worked well, but also happy to be w/o.'

I have learnt lots FROM and WITH my dance partner and certainly benefited from that partnership. Both of us were extremely determined to progress and for that matter things worked out well for a long time.

There is a danger with dance partners, though: people get lazy. One gets used to each others deficiencies and compensates for them. Hence the desired and apparent progress does not actually happen, at least not to that extent. A lot of people who dance regularly with their dance partner look great when they do so but become harder to dance with for others. In fact, I have seen a large number of very good competition dancers who could certainly strutt their stuff when it counted but were pretty lousy freestyle dancers. the guys couldn't lead a fraction of the moves they danced with their respective dance partners. The girls were pretty bad followers because they were used to the signals, combinations, leads(?) of their respective dance partners, hence anticipated a lot and tried to guess moves and combinations.

So there is obviously a balance to be kept to really make this all work out well.

Andreas
1st-February-2006, 08:35 PM
- and can (usually) be relied upon to be going wherever I am! :hug:
Too much detail. :eek:

You can't because them Asses are actually quite smart biests. :waycool:

Mary
1st-February-2006, 08:42 PM
:

This

is making me a feel a bit nervous, though. If there's going to be all THAT you might just as well be with your life partner!

(Please don't all write in and say how blissfully happy you are with your LP, never a cross word in 46 years of Ceroc etc. You should know by now I am the official forum cynic. x jivecat)

Tony is my 'life partner' (so far anyway :D :wink: ), and he's happiest if am practising with someone else - he sympathises with what they have to put up with.:whistle:

M

Barry Shnikov
1st-February-2006, 09:52 PM

>evil grin<

tell him....>chuckle< tell him you'll let him control the chalet lights with his mobile phone...

Tessalicious
2nd-February-2006, 12:58 AM
If you are happy and enjoy dancing with him then maybe that should be enough? Maybe you should consider yourself lucky that you have a guy who is a good dancer to partner you on a regluar basis for practice and freestyle nights? Perhaps it would be wrong of you to try and persuade him to compete or go to weekenders if he doesn't want to?Yes, and that's why I'm neither pushing the issue nor going out looking for someone else to do those things with - they're just not important enough to fall out over, or to reduce the amount of time we get to spend dancing together.

If either of us were to do competitions or weekenders, I'd love to do them together, but neither is the be-all and end-all - which is why the comment I made was an afterthought in my post, although I didn't make that clear...
stuff about carrots
stuff about being evil...and as soon as I have to resort to carrots or guilt-trips I'll know I've lost both my touch and my sense of perspective.

Sparkles
2nd-February-2006, 10:27 AM
which is why the comment I made was an afterthought in my post, although I didn't make that clear.......
Sorry, Tess, it's just that your afterthought seemed to take on a mind of it's own :flower:

azande
2nd-February-2006, 10:38 AM
>evil grin<

tell him....>chuckle< tell him you'll let him control the chalet lights with his mobile phone...
:rofl:

Zebra Woman
2nd-February-2006, 10:38 AM
Sorry, Tess, it's just that your afterthought seemed to take on a mind of it's own :flower:

Yeah sorry Tess I concenrated on your after thought too. :flower:

Once I get started on donkeys, and carrots :yum: , and sticks :devil: , and as Sparkles says 'leading him to water'....

...making him drink....

....pinning the tail on :eek: (oh no we hadn't got to that bit had we?)

ZW

Rachel
2nd-February-2006, 12:44 PM
... There is a danger with dance partners, though: people get lazy. One gets used to each others deficiencies and compensates for them. Absolutely true. At least, in my case! But I'm particularly spoilt with Marc because he makes up for all my errors/mis-judgements/whims ... I can do anything I want and he will just follow me and turn it into something really good. Sometimes I forget, when dancing with other people, that I should be trying to follow properly. :blush:

... A lot of people who dance regularly with their dance partner look great when they do so but become harder to dance with for others. In fact, I have seen a large number of very good competition dancers who could certainly strutt their stuff when it counted but were pretty lousy freestyle dancers. the guys couldn't lead a fraction of the moves they danced with their respective dance partners. The girls were pretty bad followers because they were used to the signals, combinations, leads(?) of their respective dance partners, hence anticipated a lot and tried to guess moves and combinations. Again, agree with this. Many men I know have danced with some of the modern jive competition winners and have said they can be very hard to lead. I can't say the same for the likes of James Greary, Clayton, JiveBrummie, MissyD's Ray, .... though - they are all amazing leaders :drool:

Rachel

robd
2nd-February-2006, 01:43 PM
Sometimes I forget, when dancing with other people, that I should be trying to follow properly. :blush:

That's OK because anyone dancing with you is usually too busy talking to notice :wink:

Rachel
2nd-February-2006, 02:07 PM
That's OK because anyone dancing with you is usually too busy talking to notice :wink: Good tactic, eh? :D

Anyway, I came back to this thread, cos there I was, happily back at work (well, eating lunch) and I started thinking about all the female comp winners who are undisputably fantastic followers - Lily B and such.

And I suddenly got concerned that any of them might read my post above and think it might be referring to them as poor followers. (I'm sure they're not that paranoid and know far better, but it worried me in any case.)

So ... It wasn't any of you. Promise. :flower: It's the other ladies ... And no, I'm definitely not naming names.

R xx

Gadget
2nd-February-2006, 02:30 PM
That's OK because anyone dancing with you is usually too busy talking to notice :wink:
Talking? :what: :confused: I'm generally having too much fun dancing with her to spoil it by opening my big mouth :)

Kev F
2nd-February-2006, 07:23 PM
When you return to your partner it is like 'coming home' as you understand each others styles sooo well, which is lovely......but will our failure to keep up with the ladies natural progression hinder the partnership??? Will the ladies get bored??

We shall see......but does this mean that us men partners days are numbered?? :eek: Will I be advertised on e-bay next week so a newer model can be installed :tears: Hopefully not ! :D

Have I spoken too soon ! :confused: :sad: :tears:

Lory
2nd-February-2006, 07:45 PM

He wasn't too bad :whistle:

But I don't think he couldn't offer the level of commitment I expect and I'm not too sure how he'd take critism from me? :rolleyes: And just to be nit picky, he's just that BIT too tall for me! :wink:

So Kev, your more than OK for now :hug:

bTW, Who have you lined up for next week? :devil: :innocent:

under par
27th-March-2006, 08:08 AM

He wasn't too bad :whistle:

But I don't think he couldn't offer the level of commitment I expect and I'm not too sure how he'd take critism from me? :rolleyes: And just to be nit picky, he's just that BIT too tall for me! :wink: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: So Kev, your more than OK for now :hug:

bTW, Who have you lined up for next week? :devil: :innocent:

Not me it seems:tears: :sad: :tears:

Donna
27th-March-2006, 02:04 PM

:respect: This is a fab picture of you two!

Frankie_4711
27th-March-2006, 07:06 PM
Do I want a dance partner? Yes and no - I voted for No, but in some ways I would! (Yeah, I know, confusing ... :confused: ). I'll try and explain ...

I would dearly love to have someone that I like dancing with, who likes dancing with me (if there is anyone like that!) that I could share my passion for dancing with BUT

although I LOVE dancing more than, well, anything else, my husband can't stand it, and therefore I tend to get the guilt pangs every time I go, let alone if it was with just one partner
my life is so full I wouldn't really have the time to commit (especially considering my first point above) to extra practice (well, when I say 'full', I suppose I really mean I could make the effort to find the time, but again, that would mean deserting hubby again - not conducive to a happy relationship!)
I do enjoy dancing with lots of different people because you learn something from each of them that you wouldn't have from another
as has been said by others, you can 'get into a rut' or routine where you know what's coming which then can spoil freestyling with others

So, to summarise, if I was single I'd be gagging for a dance partner (or a partner who could dance!)(but would still want to dance with others). But as it is I am either best off not having one, need to get hubby dancing (impossible) or get divorced ... hmmm.