PDA

View Full Version : London Ceroc Champs - 30 April 2006

DavidY
22nd-January-2006, 06:29 PM
Web page here. (http://www.cerocchamps.com/)

Is it just my imagination or has the date been announced earlier this year?

DavidY
22nd-January-2006, 06:34 PM
Oooh - there's a new category called the "Ceroc X Trophy":
This section is open to all dancers who know or can learn the 16 basic beginners moves and feel that they can dance them with style and flair.This feels like a very interesting idea - open to teachers too.

Andy McGregor
22nd-January-2006, 07:36 PM
Oooh - there's a new category called the "Ceroc X Trophy":This feels like a very interesting idea - open to teachers too.And teachers can enter this category too. Just need to learn 6 new (to me) moves and find out what the shoulder drop is :confused: And find a sexy partner :wink:

FirstMove
22nd-January-2006, 07:59 PM
Oooh - there's a new category called the "Ceroc X Trophy":This feels like a very interesting idea - open to teachers too.

To win this has got to be the most difficult Ceroc competition ever! :worthy: I can't imagine it's going to be much of a crowd pleaser though. :(

alex
22nd-January-2006, 08:26 PM
This section is open to all dancers who know or can learn the 16 basic beginners moves and feel that they can dance them with style and flair. so is hitting a break in the middle of a first move still a first move?

Andy McGregor
22nd-January-2006, 08:28 PM
so is hitting a break in the middle of a first move still a first move?Probably. But fitting the first move to the music so the break comes at the end of the move is probably better:waycool:

DavidB
22nd-January-2006, 08:37 PM
But fitting the first move to the music so the break comes at the end of the move is probably better
??? What difference does it make?

:flower: (I tried :Morrissey: but it didn't work.)

Andy McGregor
22nd-January-2006, 09:35 PM
??? What difference does it make?It probably makes no difference to someone who doesn't move. But for the rest of us not moving marks some of the drama in the music :innocent:

ChrisA
22nd-January-2006, 10:55 PM
so is hitting a break in the middle of a first move still a first move?
Not sure the risk of having breaks in the music for this category is one worth worrying about.

DavidY
22nd-January-2006, 11:21 PM
Not sure the risk of having breaks in the music for this category is one worth worrying about.
The judges will be looking for musicality and style expressed by strong adroit dancers who can make the most basic moves look amazing.When I first saw this category I was expecting the main entrants to be dance gods who can make any moves look musical and amazing (ie I wouldn't bother entering myself as I'd be hopelessly outclassed) - and with music to match. Who do you expect would enter?

ChrisA
22nd-January-2006, 11:46 PM
When I first saw this category I was expecting the main entrants to be dance gods who can make any moves look musical and amazing (ie I wouldn't bother entering myself as I'd be hopelessly outclassed) - and with music to match. Who do you expect would enter?
I can't really work this out. It's clearly not a beginners' comp, since pros, teachers, and those entering the other categories are allowed to enter.

They make a big deal out of doing the 16 beginners Ceroc moves

but with no variations, adaptions, modifications, innovations or additions.

So beginners moves only, but pros, as well as everyone else, are allowed to enter. Doubtless the really good dancers could make the beginners moves look better than beginners do, but I'd be forced to ask, "so what"?

I'm forced to conclude (not all that profoundly) that it's about the moves, not the dancers, and a desire to promote the dancing of Ceroc moves? So much of MJ these days is about the influence of other dances, and the people that have been winning competitions recently are very non-Cerocy in their "look".

Is this an attempt to swing the pendulum back the other way?

ChrisA
22nd-January-2006, 11:58 PM
I'm forced to conclude
"conclude" is far too strong, in retrospect. "Speculate vaguely, with mild curiosity" is probably closer to the mark. :blush:

Andy McGregor
23rd-January-2006, 01:40 AM
and the people that have been winning competitions recently are very non-Cerocy in their "look".There's a "Cerocy" look? How will I know what that is?:innocent:

Heather
23rd-January-2006, 08:29 AM
There's a "Cerocy" look? How will I know what that is?:innocent:

:rofl: :yeah: :rofl:

:hug:
Heather
x

ducasi
23rd-January-2006, 09:09 AM
Oooh - there's a new category called the "Ceroc X Trophy":This feels like a very interesting idea - open to teachers too.
From the description, this sounds a bit like the concept of "stock car" racing – everyone has the same car and engine, etc., and so it's only how you put it all together and drive it that should make the difference.

Here everyone has the same moves, and so what matters is how you put them together and lead them.

What do you think?

Andy McGregor
23rd-January-2006, 09:19 AM
What do you think?Think :what:

Now they're asking us to think :eek:

ducasi
23rd-January-2006, 09:50 AM
Think :what:

Now they're asking us to think :eek:
Sorry, should have known better... :rolleyes:

ChrisA
23rd-January-2006, 09:53 AM
Here everyone has the same moves, and so what matters is how you put them together and lead them.

Well yes, obviously.

I'm just wondering why. A beginners comp makes sense. An open comp makes sense. But a comp where the pros can enter but do only beginners moves?

Most of the people that go to the comps (even if they aren't competing) have been around long enough to know that good dancers can make simple moves look good.

So I say again ... so what?

Cruella
23rd-January-2006, 10:01 AM
Well yes, obviously.

I'm just wondering why. A beginners comp makes sense. An open comp makes sense. But a comp where the pros can enter but do only beginners moves?

Most of the people that go to the comps (even if they aren't competing) have been around long enough to know that good dancers can make simple moves look good.

So I say again ... so what?
Could be a useful way for Ceroc to talent spot for future teachers. Spot the dancer with the X factor! :whistle:

robd
23rd-January-2006, 10:03 AM
Maybe the limitation on quantity and complexity of moves is a belated attempt to show that Ceroc as an organisation believe that MJ is about 'More than moves' (and there's an FAQ somewhere on the Ceroc London webpages by Mike Ellard making this same point).

I think it's actually a good idea and at least they're trying something different.

Robert

ducasi
23rd-January-2006, 10:04 AM
Most of the people that go to the comps (even if they aren't competing) have been around long enough to know that good dancers can make simple moves look good. So let's hold a competition to see who does it best. :nice:

It's no longer a competition about who can do the flashiest move, but who can make the simple moves look the best.

Missy D
23rd-January-2006, 10:17 AM
I think there should be a category for beginners that have been dancing less than a year.

The intermediate section makes me laugh. There are so many good advanced dancers that have been dancing for years enter this one. What chance has an intermediate dancer. *send off application to enter this one*

Andy McGregor
23rd-January-2006, 10:18 AM
So let's hold a competition to see who does it best. :nice:

It's no longer a competition about who can do the flashiest move, but who can make the simple moves look the best.I have a funny feeling that young, attractive people who already look good will do well in this competition. I'd like to think that ugly guys like me, the Tramp and DavidB would be able to enter this and find there isn't a youth and beauty element to the judging. But it's human nature to be attracted by attractive people and I'm sure the judges will be no different, no matter how hard they try to judge based on dancing skills alone.

David Franklin
23rd-January-2006, 10:23 AM
I'm just wondering why. A beginners comp makes sense. An open comp makes sense. But a comp where the pros can enter but do only beginners moves?I definitely remember suggesting something similar to this category a couple of years ago; and it was only somewhat tongue-in-cheek! The serious point was to promote musicality over "flashy, crowd-pleasing steps" - and an absense of moves you could never use in normal freestyle would also be a good thing.

But in practical terms, it would always have been difficult to define "simple moves" without getting something overly restrictive. I'd have gone for something vague like "you will be marked down for complex moves, dips and drops" - (so you can do a complex move, and if it really works well with the music, it might even gain you marks. But it won't score as highly as a simple move that worked equally well). Disallowing variations, as Ceroc are doing, just seems crazy. (And leaves you open to arguments about exactly what is a variation: is stopping on a break a variation, for example? What about changing speed half-way through a move?).

Most of the people that go to the comps (even if they aren't competing) have been around long enough to know that good dancers can make simple moves look good.It's not just a question of making the individual moves look good, but making the dance look good and reflect the music - use of light-and-shade, body shaping and styling, hitting breaks and accents, etc.

If you look at the recent posts about "how many aerials can you do at Blackpool", it's clear many dancers still use "the flashy stuff" to make their dance look good. Not that I think there's anything wrong with that (I couldn't, really, could I?) - but maybe a route forwards is to force people to throw away that particular crutch...

ChrisA
23rd-January-2006, 10:51 AM
Disallowing variations, as Ceroc are doing, just seems crazy. (And leaves you open to arguments about exactly what is a variation: is stopping on a break a variation, for example? What about changing speed half-way through a move?).

Well AFAICS, if we're talking about the 16 beginners moves in the list,

but with no variations, adaptions, modifications, innovations or additions.
(apart from double spins which are explicitly permitted), then I don't see how doing the move other than the way it's taught in the classes can be acceptable.

There's scope for looking nice doing these moves, without a doubt. But I'll be surprised if we see much musicality, with constraints like this.

Lory
23rd-January-2006, 10:54 AM
Well, I think it's a good idea. :nice:

It might inspire new people to realise, it's NOT all about MOVES MOVES MOVES :clap:

I for one, will be very interested to see how each couple will achieve their 'different' look :waycool:

To add some spice, I think if a couple are caught doing any deviations, they should be tapped on the shoulder and sent off there and then! :cool: And the audience should be encouraged to shout the number out, if they see anyone cheating! :devil: :D :rofl: :whistle:

ChrisA
23rd-January-2006, 10:55 AM
The serious point was to promote musicality over "flashy, crowd-pleasing steps" - and an absense of moves you could never use in normal freestyle would also be a good thing.

Now if they had a category like this, it would be great.

Would they be a bit more restricted in their choice of judges, do you think?

David Franklin
23rd-January-2006, 10:59 AM
I don't see how doing the move other than the way it's taught in the classes can be acceptable.Well, it being Ceroc, you could probably argue they shouldn't force people to use a specific count (just like specific footwork) :devil: ! But...

There's scope for looking nice doing these moves, without a doubt. But I'll be surprised if we see much musicality, with constraints like this.:yeah: Kills the point of it, if you ask me...

It might inspire new people to realise, it's NOT all about MOVES MOVES MOVESThe problem with that is that it's very explictly about 16 moves in particular...

Andy McGregor
23rd-January-2006, 11:32 AM
Well, it being Ceroc, you could probably argue they shouldn't force people to use a specific count (just like specific footwork) :devil: ! But...
:yeah: Kills the point of it, if you ask me...

The problem with that is that it's very explictly about 16 moves in particular...Maybe we should find 16 couples to enter with each couple doing just one move for the whole track. Now that would be a challenge. Especially for the couple that got the comb.

Daisy
23rd-January-2006, 12:07 PM
I think there should be a category for beginners that have been dancing less than a year.

The intermediate section makes me laugh. There are so many good advanced dancers that have been dancing for years enter this one. What chance has an intermediate dancer. *send off application to enter this one*

I emailed Ceroc with this idea a couple of years ago, as I felt that there wasn't an opportunity for the true beginners to strutt their stuff and have a chance (outside the intermediates).:sad:

After all, the Australian comps all make room for a beginner catagory :whistle:

Ray & I were the last couple to win the biginners in 2000....that was the last time it was held. It was a wonderful step up for us in Ceroc and MJ in general and we never looked back....:clap: :clap: :clap:

The reply I recieved said that it had been considered but that not enough interest was shown for this catagory:sick: :rolleyes: ...therefore it wouldn't be held.

Now they are holding a catagory that restricts the dancers to the basic 16 moves (as they did with us in 2000) ....but a beginner couple won't have a chance of winning, up against the superstars!!:confused:

When are the beginners going to get a look in? After all, they are the bread & butter to Ceroc and many other MJ organisations.

Bring back the beginners :clap: :clap: :clap:

TheTramp
23rd-January-2006, 12:33 PM
Disallowing variations, as Ceroc are doing, just seems crazy. (And leaves you open to arguments about exactly what is a variation: is stopping on a break a variation, for example? What about changing speed half-way through a move?).
I think that there needs to be some clarification on this. I quite like the idea, but the way that it's worded, appear to mean that people can only do the moves, as taught, to the basic count (but with no variations, adaptions, modifications, innovations or additions.). Which isn't really going to allow for musicality or anything else.

Just what exactly are they after?

TheTramp
23rd-January-2006, 12:35 PM
Oh, and I also think that there should be a beginners competition. There's only 15 spaces in the Open. I'd have thought that they could have got that many people who've been dancing for less than (say) 6 months to compete.

Andy McGregor
23rd-January-2006, 01:25 PM
Oh, and I also think that there should be a beginners competition. There's only 15 spaces in the Open. I'd have thought that they could have got that many people who've been dancing for less than (say) 6 months to compete.Just one question Mr Justabeginner.com, are you saying that beginners who've been dancing for over 5 years couldn't enter?

TheTramp
23rd-January-2006, 01:37 PM
Just one question Mr Justabeginner.com, are you saying that beginners who've been dancing for over 5 years couldn't enter?

Only if they're really bad. Like me. :rolleyes:

Sheepman
23rd-January-2006, 02:09 PM
- snip - Which isn't really going to allow for musicality or anything else.
Musicality has been mentioned a few times in relation to this category, but it occurs to me that perhaps the aim is similar to that in ice dancing, where the compulsory figures have to be done, (or I believe in Ballroom, where set moves have to be performed to gain medals?) I wouldn't expect musicality to be part of those exercises (nor an audience!)

So if the aim is truly to judge how well (technically & stylisticly) those moves are performed, perhaps music shouldn't be getting in the way, just a simple drum beat would do it.
Or playing Call On Me? :devil:

Greg

Tessalicious
23rd-January-2006, 05:27 PM
Am I the only person who has noticed that there are three beginners' moves missing from the list? Namely the Pushpin variations of First Move and Armjive, and the one beginners' move that allows any musical interpretation at all, the direly-named Slo-comb.

Of course, on this page (http://www.ceroc.com/members/cerocshops.htm) it states that there are only 12 beginners moves. But then what do I expect, consistency? :whistle:

Andy McGregor
23rd-January-2006, 05:32 PM
Am I the only person who has noticed that there are three beginners' moves missing from the list? Namely the Pushpin variations of First Move and Armjive, Thank goodness for that. I've removed pushspins from my beginners teaching altogether because there's something not quite right about them :confused:

DavidB
23rd-January-2006, 09:09 PM
Years ago (I think late '80s/early '90s) there used to be a 'Basics' dance in professional Latin comps. So as well as the standard 5 dances, the couples would have to do one extra dance that just included basic moves. One of the best dances I've ever seen was Sammy Stopford and Barbara McCall doing a basic rumba. I am guessing that this is what Ceroc are trying to recreate.

Not too sure if it will work - the rigidity of their definitions seems a bit too much. It would be nice if they had a trial run first so that people know what they can and can't do.

Also - if 'professionals' are allowed, then why not make it so that they can't dance with their regular partner. It would level the playing field a bit.

Feelingpink
23rd-January-2006, 10:46 PM
Am I the only person who has noticed that there are three beginners' moves missing from the list? Namely the Pushpin variations of First Move and Armjive ....Are these where you stick short sharp objects into your partner? It's quite a pointed remark on a noticeboard like this you've made, young TL!

I will now go and hide for having made such a feeble attempt at schoolyard humour using a hardly noticeable typo

ducasi
23rd-January-2006, 11:35 PM
Are these where you stick short sharp objects into your partner? It's quite a pointed remark on a noticeboard like this you've made, young TL!

I will now go and hide for having made such a feeble attempt at schoolyard humour using a hardly noticeable typo
Not sure it's a typo, as that's what Ceroc™ call push spins (at least on some of their publicity...)

Little Monkey
24th-January-2006, 12:56 AM
For those of you who can't be bothered actually looking up the link in the first post and reading the rules, before getting confused as to what exactly the rules are...:whistle:

I've taken the liberty to highlight some of the rules there's been confusion about..... Like using breaks, musical interpretation, pushspin variations etc..... Yeah, I'm bored!:D

I actually think this would be an interesting category to watch just to see how people will actually try and use these moves to 'stand out from the crowd', when they are not allowed any "variations, adaptions, modifications, innovations or additions" :confused: But after the first heat, surely this must get quite dull to watch?? So, anyone thinking of entering?

"Competition Rules

Your dancing in all the heats and finals must consist of some or all of the 16 basic Ceroc beginners moves ONLY in any combination and with no variations, adaptions, modifications, innovations or additions.

The permitted moves which can be danced in this category are:

The First Move *

The Armjive **

The Armjive Swizzle

The Manspin

The Shoulderslide

The Step Across

The Octopus

The Basket

The Side to Side Shoulders

The In and Out (Double Handed)

The Yoyo

The Comb

The Cerocspin

The Catapult

The Backpass

The Shoulder Drop

* the First move must end with a ladies under arm turn and return. No variations of the First Move are permitted other than the First move pushspin.

** The Armjive pushspin are permitted.

If you are not familiar with any of these moves you can either refer to the New Ceroc beginner's DVD or ask your local Ceroc teacher or Taxi dancers.

Competitors who dance even one move that is not permitted will be disqualified. There are no exceptions to this rule whether you do a move accidentally or not.

'Freezes' , or dancing at either half-time or double time is permitted providing the move still maintains the correct structure and content. For example, freezing in a Shoulder Drop or adding rocks to a Comb will be permitted.

Please refer to these rules closer to the Competition as this is a new category and the rules may change slightly if we receive appropriate feedback from our judging panel.

All judging will be by a points system. Dancers are encouraged to dance to the end of their heat. Qualifying dancers will be asked back to the next round. Judges decisions are final.

Points will be awarded for style, musical interpretation, quality of dancing, execution and synchronisation of dancers.

Judges will also award points for dress and presentation.

Airsteps, (lifts, jumps and acrobatic moves), will not be permitted. Disqualification from the competition will be automatic should a couple attempt these moves.

No drops, dips or leans are permitted.

This is a freestyle category and consequentially points will be deducted for obvious choreography of moves.

Partners must not release hand hold or break contact for more than four beats.

Single and double spins allowed.

The lead and follow aspect of the dance must clearly be demonstrated.

Couples will dance to music chosen by the organisers. This could be anything from the 40's to 00's.

Dance Teachers and/or dance professionals are allowed to enter this section.

Competitors from all other categories including the Intermediate, Advanced and Open Freestyle Trophy sections are permitted to enter this section."

ducasi
24th-January-2006, 01:07 AM
For those of you who can't be bothered actually looking up the link in the first post and reading the rules, before getting confused as to what exactly the rules are... Have you got a link for this? The only rules I can find do not go into these details.

DavidY
24th-January-2006, 01:11 AM
Have you got a link for this? The only rules I can find do not go into these details.It's here. (http://www.cerocchamps.com/categories.htm#cerocx)

I must admit I don't remember reading the stuff about freezes/half-timing etc. the first time I read it though.

ChrisA
24th-January-2006, 01:13 AM
Have you got a link for this? The only rules I can find do not go into these details.
Try this:

http://www.cerocchamps.com/categories.htm#cerocx

Competitors who dance even one move that is not permitted will be disqualified. There are no exceptions to this rule whether you do a move accidentally or not.

'Freezes' , or dancing at either half-time or double time is permitted providing the move still maintains the correct structure and content. For example, freezing in a Shoulder Drop or adding rocks to a Comb will be permitted.

Please refer to these rules closer to the Competition as this is a new category and the rules may change slightly if we receive appropriate feedback from our judging panel.

Little Monkey seems very scathing of those raising questions about this, but I think the section I've quoted here was not there even as recently as yesterday.

DavidY
24th-January-2006, 01:17 AM
Btw I reckon the hardest thing that about this wouldn't be making the dance look good, it would be not losing concentration and dancing a banned variation (which I'd find downright impossible).

I reckon there are bound to be some people who accidentally do an "improved" first move or some such, and thereby get disqualified. A beginner who only knows how to lead 4 moves could win by default ...

TheTramp
24th-January-2006, 01:18 AM
Yeah. That's changed even since yesterday. Be interesting to see what further changes there are between now and the competition...

Oh, and looks like you won't be able to use Amir's first move then! :waycool:

DavidY
24th-January-2006, 01:19 AM
Little Monkey seems very scathing of those raising questions about this, but I think the section I've quoted here was not there even as recently as yesterday.:yeah: It's not just me that thought this then.

ducasi
24th-January-2006, 01:24 AM
The version I'm seeing is still the old one...

* Couples will dance to music chosen by the organisers. This could be anything from the 40's to 00's.

*All judging will be by a points system. Dancers are encouraged to dance to the end of their heat. Qualifying dancers will be asked back to the next round. Judges decisions are final.

* Points will be awarded for style, musical interpretation, quality of dancing, execution and synchronisation of dancers.

* Judges will also award points for dress and presentation.

* Airsteps, (lifts, jumps and acrobatic moves), will not be permitted. * Disqualification from the competition will be automatic should a couple attempt these moves.

* No drops, dips or leans are permitted.

* This is a freestyle category and consequentially points will be deducted for obvious choreography of moves.

* Partners must not release hand hold or break contact for more than four beats.

* Single and double spins allowed.

* The lead and follow aspect of the dance must clearly be demonstrated.

* The dance must consist of some or all of the 16 basic Ceroc beginners in any combination but with no variations, adaptions, modifications, innovations or additions.

* The permitted moves which can be danced in this category are:
The First Move
The Armjive
The Armjive Swizzle
The Manspin
The Shoulderslide
The Step Across
The Octopus
The Basket
The Yoyo
The Comb
The Cerocspin
The Catapult
The Backpass
The Shoulder Drop

* Dance Teachers and/or dance professionals are allowed to enter this section.

* Competitors from all other categories including the Intermediate, Advanced and Open Freestyle Trophy sections are permitted to enter this section.

* This event is for over 18s only.

* Competitor numbers are strictly limited to 20 couples so places are allocated on a first come first served basis.

* Ceroc Enterprises Ltd reserves the right to change the programme and competition if necessary without consultation.

* The event will be recorded by film, video and photograph; these may be used for Ceroc promotional purposes without any obligation.

* The organisers accept no responsibility for loss or injury to persons or possessions in relation to this event. They must have changed it sometime this evening I'd guess and my ISP's stupid web cache system hasn't caught up yet... :angry:

ChrisA
24th-January-2006, 01:25 AM
Yeah. That's changed even since yesterday. Be interesting to see what further changes there are between now and the competition...

I expect they'll take out the obvious contradictions, such as that between "no variations etc" and "double time, half time, and freezes are fine" (my paraphrase).

I think it's clear that they've not thought it through properly yet, but credit to them for the fact that they're actually changing it to reflect the feedback they've had.

If only some of the other comps put as much effort into the wording of their rules.

ChrisA
24th-January-2006, 01:26 AM
The version I'm seeing is still the old one...

They must have changed it sometime this evening I'd guess and my ISP's stupid web cache system hasn't caught up yet... :angry:
Don't knock the cache - save the old version quick, so that we can see what changed and when. I've got a copy of the current version :D

ducasi
24th-January-2006, 01:29 AM
Don't knock the cache - save the old version quick, so that we can see what changed and when. I've got a copy of the current version :D
OK, if anyone's interested I've saved a complete copy of the "previous" version of the rules.

Daisy
24th-January-2006, 04:42 AM
Years ago (I think late '80s/early '90s) there used to be a 'Basics' dance in professional Latin comps. So as well as the standard 5 dances, the couples would have to do one extra dance that just included basic moves. One of the best dances I've ever seen was Sammy Stopford and Barbara McCall doing a basic rumba. I am guessing that this is what Ceroc are trying to recreate.

Not too sure if it will work - the rigidity of their definitions seems a bit too much. It would be nice if they had a trial run first so that people know what they can and can't do.

Also - if 'professionals' are allowed, then why not make it so that they can't dance with their regular partner. It would level the playing field a bit.

Good idea David. :clap: Maybe you should email Ceroc direct with it.:whistle:

TheTramp
24th-January-2006, 08:41 AM
Ah. Yes. Which regular partner was that then? :rolleyes:

Andy McGregor
24th-January-2006, 08:48 AM
I've been thinking about the Ceroc X category. It's going to make a great spectator event. We'll all be watching intently for people getting it wrong and looking to see if a judge spotted it.

stewart38
24th-January-2006, 12:03 PM
Your dancing in all the heats and finals must consist of some or all of the 16 basic Ceroc beginners moves ONLY in any combination and with no variations, adaptions, modifications, innovations or additions.

The permitted moves which can be danced in this category are:

The First Move *

The Armjive **

The Armjive Swizzle

The Manspin

The Shoulderslide

The Step Across

The Octopus

The Basket

The Yoyo

The Comb

The Cerocspin

The Catapult

The Backpass

The Shoulder Drop

* the First move must end with a ladies under arm turn and return. No variations of the First Move are permitted other than the First move pushspin.

** The Armjive pushspin are permitted.

If you are not familiar with any of these moves you can either refer to the New Ceroc beginner's DVD or ask your local Ceroc teacher or Taxi dancers.

Excellent idea , these are the only moves i know anyway :yeah:

Little Monkey
26th-January-2006, 11:30 PM
Have you got a link for this? The only rules I can find do not go into these details.

Ummm..... I just clicked on the link posted in the first post on this thread....

Little Monkey seems very scathing of those raising questions about this, but I think the section I've quoted here was not there even as recently as yesterday.

Well, seeing as I posted it the day before you posted this....... Methinks it was.:whistle:
It does also state on the webpage page that the rules for this category may change before the comp, which is why the rules, ahem, seem to change....:wink:

I was just being sarcastic / scathing as it seemed like a lot of the people posting here hadn't actually bothered looking up the link before raising questions, that's all. But as the rules for this category seem to change a lot, maybe none of the things people have been wondering about and discussing was actually in the original rules? Who knows......

Barry Shnikov
27th-January-2006, 12:13 AM
There's a "Cerocy" look? How will I know what that is?:innocent:

I think I know what he means. Dancers (I expect you know who you are) whose routines look less like modern jive and more of a cross between West Side Story, acrobatics, and all in wrestling.

Barry Shnikov
27th-January-2006, 12:17 AM
Thank goodness for that. I've removed pushspins from my beginners teaching altogether because there's something not quite right about them :confused:

Whew!!:sick:

I was racking my brain there for a while trying to remember what a PUSHPIN might be...I know it's a while since I was a beginner but I didn't think I'd been doing MJ long enough to forget any beginners' move...:)

ducasi
27th-January-2006, 09:05 AM

It does also state on the webpage page that the rules for this category may change before the comp, which is why the rules, ahem, seem to change....:wink:

I was just being sarcastic / scathing as it seemed like a lot of the people posting here hadn't actually bothered looking up the link before raising questions, that's all. But as the rules for this category seem to change a lot, maybe none of the things people have been wondering about and discussing was actually in the original rules? Who knows...... No, we all had read the rules, but they had changed by the time you read them to address all the points we had raised. Perhaps you were the first person to see the revised rules.

The original rules did not state that the rules may change (though it did say they could change the rules, the emphasis was very different.)

Here's what the original rules said (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=195406&postcount=48).

David Bailey
27th-January-2006, 09:26 AM
Here's what the original rules said (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=195406&postcount=48).
I'm a geek, I know, but I keep thinking "diff, must do a diff" when I see these posts... :blush:

ducasi
27th-January-2006, 09:52 AM
I'm a geek, I know, but I keep thinking "diff, must do a diff" when I see these posts... :blush:
Except you know that because of the formatting differences, a straight "diff" will be useless... :wink:

David Bailey
27th-January-2006, 10:02 AM
Except you know that because of the formatting differences, a straight "diff" will be useless... :wink:
I'm not that much of a geek. :na:

But a "change history" would be interesting...

Andy McGregor
6th-February-2006, 12:18 PM
I've now booked into the Lucky Dip and Ceroc X categories.

I've got a new partner called Trixie: she's attractive,young, sexy and a lovely mover with a great figure and especially long and shapely legs - you may have difficulty telling us apart :whistle:

All it need to do now is find out how to do the "backpass" and "shoulder drop" - and I'm not 100% certain what the "Cerocspin" is either :confused:

Maybe I'll stick to the octopus and first move...

David Bailey
6th-February-2006, 12:21 PM
Maybe I'll stick to the octopus and first move...
Actually, do you have to do all 16 (or however many) moves?

How about doing, say 6, but doing them really well...?

Andy McGregor
6th-February-2006, 12:41 PM
Actually, do you have to do all 16 (or however many) moves?

How about doing, say 6, but doing them really well...?Or maybe 2 ...

.. really badly :devil:

LMC
6th-February-2006, 12:58 PM
3, I reckon. One left handed (first move), one right handed (yo yo) one double handed (armjive)

Sorted.

Tessalicious
6th-February-2006, 01:03 PM
3, I reckon. One left handed (first move), one right handed (yo yo) one double handed (armjive)

Sorted.Don't be silly, that won't work - how do you plan to get into the RH hold for the yoyo, and then out of it for the LH moves? Honestly girl, you've got to put more thought into it than that!

... or you could just take out the yoyo, then it works. :waycool:

foxylady
6th-February-2006, 01:07 PM
Don't be silly, that won't work - how do you plan to get into the RH hold for the yoyo, and then out of it for the LH moves? Honestly girl, you've got to put more thought into it than that!

She just forgot to tell you she was doing a push spin exit from the first move with a right hand catch (the only first move variation that *is* allowed)...

minor details ....

Andy McGregor
6th-February-2006, 02:45 PM
Of course the Ceroc X competition has a clue about dress code. X-dressing :devil:

What other category could we enter? :whistle:

Bubbalou
19th-March-2006, 12:09 PM
:D :D Ok guys I'm going to be really brave, got out on a limb, possibly open a can of worms and hopefully not upset anybody!!:D :D

I shall be entering Ceroc X this year! The past 2 years Craig and I have entered intermediate and really enjoyed ourselves:grin:
We have done ok, first year quarter finals, last year semis and this year he wants us to get to the finals (no pressure then!). This will be our last year competing together.

For us, the buzz of getting out there and dancing on such a fab day is just wonderful and Ceroc X gives us another chance to do that. It will be a hard competition to stay in, granted. However, I think the "crowd pleaser" aspect of it will be to demonstrate it's not what you do its the way that you do it! All join in now..........thats what gets results! <Sorry couldn't let it go>

I think Ceroc have been brave to introduce something new and for that :clap: :clap: :clap:

If people are there just to see the aerials or showcases, it's an excellent opportunity to nip out to the restaurant down the road and get some lunch!!

I guess, Ceroc have thought this can be a category that everyone feels they can enter to gain a little bit of that experience of what it feels like to be on the competition floor...........regardless of if they get knocked out in the first round or not. Dance, for most of us, is about fun, about living life and enjoying what you do with your brilliant partner and amazing friends.

Those who are really serious about competitions are fab too but I think Ceroc X is adding just a little bit of fun to those who want to "give it a go".

Good luck to all who do!!!!!!!!! :kiss:

Lou xxx

thewacko
19th-March-2006, 12:18 PM
:D :D Ok guys I'm going to be really brave, got out on a limb, possibly open a can of worms and hopefully not upset anybody!!:D :D

I shall be entering Ceroc X this year! The past 2 years Craig and I have entered intermediate and really enjoyed ourselves:grin:
We have done ok, first year quarter finals, last year semis and this year he wants us to get to the finals (no pressure then!). This will be our last year competing together.

For us, the buzz of getting out there and dancing on such a fab day is just wonderful and Ceroc X gives us another chance to do that. It will be a hard competition to stay in, granted. However, I think the "crowd pleaser" aspect of it will be to demonstrate it's not what you do its the way that you do it! All join in now..........thats what gets results! <Sorry couldn't let it go>

I think Ceroc have been brave to introduce something new and for that :clap: :clap: :clap:

If people are there just to see the aerials or showcases, it's an excellent opportunity to nip out to the restaurant down the road and get some lunch!!

I guess, Ceroc have thought this can be a category that everyone feels they can enter to gain a little bit of that experience of what it feels like to be on the competition floor...........regardless of if they get knocked out in the first round or not. Dance, for most of us, is about fun, about living life and enjoying what you do with your brilliant partner and amazing friends.

Those who are really serious about competitions are fab too but I think Ceroc X is adding just a little bit of fun to those who want to "give it a go".

Good luck to all who do!!!!!!!!! :kiss:

Lou xxx
I was gonna clip the quote, but unfortuantely agree with everything you said - so kept the whole quote.

:worthy: go for it girl and best of luck, I will be there hooting for yer:worthy:

Bubbalou
19th-March-2006, 12:22 PM
I was gonna clip the quote, but unfortuantely agree with everything you said - so kept the whole quote.

:worthy: go for it girl and best of luck, I will be there hooting for yer:worthy:
Not unfortunately!! :D :D

Lou xx

bigdjiver
19th-March-2006, 08:20 PM
I love the idea of this category. I hope it really works, and that Ceroc have made the proper arrangements to own the copyright of the video and the music so that it can be freely used as a Ceroc promo.

Andy McGregor
19th-March-2006, 09:02 PM

-snip-

Lou xxxAnd those of us who get knocked out in the first round of the CerocX can join them for pudding.

p.s. The bit I'm still not sure about is if both partners are X-dressing or just the guys :confused:

LilyB
25th-March-2006, 04:11 PM
AERIALS SECTION

Anyone fancy a go at this section? There's only one entry so far, so those of you brave enough to enter are highly likely to end up with a medal of some sort:D .

Still another 5 weeks to practise those supergirls, back-flips, death-dives etc ... :devil:

Andreas
25th-March-2006, 04:14 PM
AERIALS SECTION

Anyone fancy a go at this section? There's only one entry so far, so those of you brave enough to enter are highly likely to end up with a medal of some sort:D .

Still another 5 weeks to practise those supergirls, back-flips, death-dives etc ... :devil:
Is it alright if one of the two just performs all those flips while the other person looks pretty? :yum:

Kev F
25th-March-2006, 05:28 PM
AERIALS SECTION

I'm going to speak to Lory about entering......at least we'd come second! :devil: :flower:

Is it permissable for her to wear head protection?? I will try that doughnut move (That lily and david do sooo well:worthy: ) with her at the t-jive and take it from there.:D

DavidB
25th-March-2006, 05:51 PM
Is it alright if one of the two just performs all those flips while the other person looks pretty?That's all me & Lily do

Andy McGregor
25th-March-2006, 07:12 PM
That's all me & Lily doI would like everyone to note that I'm not posting the obvious question...

Lory
25th-March-2006, 07:22 PM
I'm going to speak to Lory about entering......

HA bl**dy HA :rolleyes:

Andreas
25th-March-2006, 07:35 PM
That's all me & Lily do
I know! Do you think I am going to try and re-invent the wheel? NO!! :na: :D

I would like everyone to note that I'm not posting the obvious question...
There are in fact TWO obvious questions. So I am not sure which one you are not posting. :na:

stewart38
25th-March-2006, 08:36 PM
AERIALS SECTION

Lets post the obvious question

why have it ??

Last year only two couples entered and the runners up were well short

ChrisA
26th-March-2006, 12:17 AM
Thank heavens we have people with as much dance ability as a telephone directory, to make incisive analyses like this.

stewart38
26th-March-2006, 10:38 AM
Thank heavens we have people with as much dance ability as a telephone directory, to make incisive analyses like this.

Good to see you will put yourself forward :wink:

I think the runners up saw that the winners were worthy , no disrespect to the couple who are 10000s better then me :respect:

Andy McGregor
26th-March-2006, 10:52 AM
Thank heavens we have people with as much dance ability as a telephone directory, to make incisive analyses like this.And thank heavens we don't have to work this out for ourselves.

David Franklin
26th-March-2006, 10:53 AM

why have it ??

Last year only two couples entered and the runners up were well shortBecause who knows what will happen in a competition?

In point of fact, we've beaten Steve and Jo (who came 1st at Ceroc) in an airsteps competition, and Tony and Mary (the "well short" couple, as you describe them) have beaten us. So I can't see how the result is that predictable - different day, different music...

Of course, if David and Lily :respect: were to enter it might well be too predictable!

Though I admit the lack of entrants is an issue. I think part of the problem is the attitude above. When you have couples who've won titles like Mary and Tony being written off, how the heck are you going to get "intermediate" airsteps couples to put themselves forward?

TheTramp
26th-March-2006, 11:17 AM
and the runners up were well short

If it was Tony and Mary, maybe he was just talking about how tall they are?? :flower:

Lory
26th-March-2006, 11:43 AM
why have it ??

Because it's something we don't get to see in our local venue, it's something most of us can't do:worthy: it has a WOW factor :waycool: and it's entertaining?

I for one, really enjoy watching it.:cheers:

Tiggerbabe
26th-March-2006, 11:51 AM
Because it's something we don't get to see in our local venue, it's something most of us can't do:worthy: it has a WOW factor :waycool: and it's entertaining?

I for one, really enjoy watching it.:cheers:
Nothing more to add really :hug: Well said Lory :respect:

Andy McGregor
26th-March-2006, 01:58 PM
There are in fact TWO obvious questions. So I am not sure which one you are not posting. :na:It isn't as obvious as I thought. The obvious question was about who the "pretty one" is...

Andreas
26th-March-2006, 05:58 PM
It isn't as obvious as I thought. The obvious question was about who the "pretty one" is...
And the second obvious question is: Since we all know what Lily would do to look pretty, what'd David do? :eek: :D

DavidB
26th-March-2006, 06:59 PM
what'd David do?I don't need to do anything

Mary
26th-March-2006, 07:38 PM

why have it ??

Why thank you sir, for pointing out that I am only 5'2" short.

Hmm, definately wouldn't feel encouraged to enter again this year now. And I'm sure many more people would be put off by this way of thinking.

Who said competitions are fun?!!! I take it then Stewart38 that you won't bother entering any category this year as after all, what's the point?

I really shouldn't rise to this should I?

M

Will
27th-March-2006, 12:56 AM
AERIALS SECTION

Anyone fancy a go at this section? There's only one entry so far, so those of you brave enough to enter are highly likely to end up with a medal of some sort:D
Not after what happened to Rod Hull! :sick:

Andy McGregor
27th-March-2006, 07:35 AM
Why thank you sir, for pointing out that I am only 5'2" short.I demand a recount! I think all those landings for a great height may have made Mary shorter - and shorter is, of course, better :flower:

We love short. In fact, short is not short of anything, it's perfection :waycool:

On the subject of airsteps competitions, I'm not surprised there aren't many entries, doing lifts and jumps and drops for a whole track is too much, IMHO, compared to slipping in a couple of lifts in the Open or Advanced. It's a great spectacle but I believe people should be paid to do it, you need to practice for very many hours, you need to go on special diets, get fit/strong, get help, buy special outfits, buy a swimmnig pool, etc, etc, etc. Everybody who enters the airsteps should be made Queen for a day IMHO.

p.s. Is it time to start talking about how little practice we're doing? Me? I haven't even seen my partner for weeks ...

Andreas
27th-March-2006, 08:58 AM
p.s. Is it time to start talking about how little practice we're doing? Me? I haven't even seen my partner for weeks ...
I haven't for months :eek:

Tony M
27th-March-2006, 09:14 AM
I have decided not to enter the aerials category this year.
But I will be there, in the audience, to watch and learn from the master, Stewart38.

Stewart, I am willing to pay your entry fee for the aerials category, so you don't feel it is a waste of time.(PM me with your details).

I hope to be dazzled by your display and not be left feeling a little short changed.

regards,

Tony aka Shorty

David Franklin
27th-March-2006, 09:36 AM
Stewart, I am willing to pay your entry fee for the aerials category, so you don't feel it is a waste of time.(PM me with your details).

I hope to be dazzled by your display and not be left feeling a little short changed.
I would like to match this generous offer to ensure your partner isn't left short changed either...

ChrisA
27th-March-2006, 09:43 AM
I would like to match this generous offer to ensure your partner isn't left short changed either...
Could I point out a drawback with this otherwise cunning plan?

As it stands at the moment, he'd come second. :really:

I think at the very least we should club together for one additional entry... I've heard the Yellow Pages dances very well with the Thomson Local. :whistle:

Feelingpink
27th-March-2006, 10:19 AM
Could I point out a drawback with this otherwise cunning plan?

As it stands at the moment, he'd come second. :really:

I think at the very least we should club together for one additional entry... I've heard the Yellow Pages dances very well with the Thomson Local. :whistle:Having him come 2nd would be great. Then we could make nasty comments about him, aerials in general and slag off anything he may have achieved. Oh, I've just seen the drawback in this cunning plan ... we're above that, AREN'T we guys?!

SilverFox
27th-March-2006, 12:35 PM
I really shouldn't rise to this should I?Well not without Tony hoisting you....

:devil:

stewart38
27th-March-2006, 04:10 PM
Why thank you sir, for pointing out that I am only 5'2" short.

Hmm, definately wouldn't feel encouraged to enter again this year now. And I'm sure many more people would be put off by this way of thinking.

Who said competitions are fun?!!! I take it then Stewart38 that you won't bother entering any category this year as after all, what's the point?

I really shouldn't rise to this should I?

M

Look no bloody person on here as actually asked why there is ONLY ONE entrance. If EVERYBODY loves it why ??????

I thought the couple who won last year was better thats all sorry :flower:

Im fully aware you competed and you 10,000 times better then me and I cant lift a tin of soup

I will entering again and again even if i am sh**

why does everyone just jump down peoples throats

stewart38
27th-March-2006, 04:19 PM
Because who knows what will happen in a competition?

In point of fact, we've beaten Steve and Jo (who came 1st at Ceroc) in an airsteps competition, and Tony and Mary (the "well short" couple, as you describe them) have beaten us. So I can't see how the result is that predictable - different day, different music...

Thats good then , so Mary why not enter this year and win it ?

The problem why there are only 12 people now left on this site is you get -ve rep for errrr stating a 'opinion'. I thought last yrs couple were a lot better so sorry you can all -ve rep me now

Toby re your -ve rep sorry ,I thought the runners up last year were ten times better +ve rep please

----------------------------------

Stewart, can I encourage you to engage your brain before typing your posts, but perhaps you did? Toby

----------------
Not cool, Stewart. Divissima
-------------------

-------------------------

Northants Girly
27th-March-2006, 04:21 PM
Maybe folk are trying to say that perhaps you could be abit more tactful :)

stewart38
27th-March-2006, 04:30 PM
Maybe folk are trying to say that perhaps you could be abit more tactful :)

Ok I felt last years winner diserved to win, it just a opinion from a phone directory and is worth no merit what so ever , i apologise to Mary and her partner if ive cause offence :flower:

on the subject of yellow pages

we need more plumbers and electricians as i couldnt get one when my bathroom flooded into my kitchen and short circuited the boiler on saturday:sad:

Will
27th-March-2006, 04:50 PM
I thought the couple who won last year was better thats all sorry :flower:

No one has a problem with you thinking that the couple that won were better on the day.

But instead you just said that the other couple "came up well short". That's a very negative and hurtful thing to say.

Tony & Mary have spent years working on their arials, and if you tried to do what they can do, then you'd soon realise why. Indeed they have 1 move that I've not seen anyone else on the circuit do at all!

Apart from all the hard work, it takes a great deal of courage to do some of these moves, and an exceptional amount of courage to do them infront of well over 1000 people at the UK Ceroc Championships. And top of that, the fact that T&M are prepared to actually compete and put their reputations on the line also is worthy of respect in my book.

No-one is asking you to pay lip service as you would to a childs drawing. What Tony & Mary do is VERY difficult and they do it superbly well. This is why people are offering to pay for you to enter, because you just don't seem to understand this.

Why not acknowledge that both did some amazing stuff, and that it took a superb performance to win the event?

Rhythm King
27th-March-2006, 04:58 PM
:yeah:

R-K

ChrisA
27th-March-2006, 04:59 PM
Ok I felt last years winner diserved to win, it just a opinion from a phone directory and is worth no merit what so ever , i apologise to Mary and her partner if ive cause offence :flower:

Well as it happens, I think Steve and Jo deserved to win last year as well. They've improved hugely as dancers, as well as at aerials (IIRC, they were also placed in the Advanced comp), and have a colossal relative strength and size advantage over Mary and Tony, so they are in a position to tackle far more difficult lifts.

That said, Mary and Tony put in a damn good performance last year, and did what they did really well - in no sense were they out of place in that competition. My memory is that what they did, they also did musically, in itself a big achievement in that category.

But that's not the point.

Merely saying what you did is about as useful as going somewhere and saying that the music was crap - ie no use whatsoever.

And since you have something of a reputation for making off-the-cuff, ill-thought-out, and uninformed remarks on this forum, you shouldn't really be surprised if you get taken to task when you come out with more of the same.

Why don't you actually put some time into explaining exactly why you thought the runners up were "well short", if you have any actual contribution to make?

And perhaps explain also how, as Dave F pointed out, it's going to encourage anyone at all to compete, if your attitude of "one couple was miles better on the day so what's the point of having a competition" was to prevail?

If your argument had any substance, competitions would be completely pointless - you can pretty well predict who's going to be in the top few in most categories, so with your argument, why bother to hold them at all?

But fortunately, as well as being about winning and losing, competitions are about demonstrating to an audience what you can do, about putting on a show for the spectators, having an opportunity to see and learn from the best, and be inspired to improve, win or lose.

In that sense, the runners up weren't in anyway wanting, let alone "well short".

ElaineB
27th-March-2006, 05:27 PM
On the subject of airsteps competitions, I'm not surprised there aren't many entries, doing lifts and jumps and drops for a whole track is too much, IMHO, compared to slipping in a couple of lifts in the Open or Advanced. It's a great spectacle but I believe people should be paid to do it, you need to practice for very many hours, you need to go on special diets, get fit/strong, get help, buy special outfits, buy a swimmnig pool, etc, etc, etc. Everybody who enters the airsteps should be made Queen for a day IMHO.

For practice, you also need a riding hat/helmet, a top you don't fall out of and a load of plasters! :D :sick:

Elaine

David Franklin
27th-March-2006, 05:50 PM
And perhaps explain also how, as Dave F pointed out, it's going to encourage anyone at all to compete, if your attitude of "one couple was miles better on the day so what's the point of having a competition" was to prevail?As a thought experiment, what if Victor da Silva and Hanna Kartunnen (World Exhibition Champions) had entered the airsteps last year? With due respect to the other competitors, they would all would have been left "well short" competing against those two. Does that mean Steve and Jo would have suddenly become rubbish as well?

why does everyone just jump down peoples throatsWhen everyone jumps down your throat, it's usually because they're taking advantage of the huge opening left after you've put your foot in your mouth.

It seems your attitude is "I have no need to be polite or respectful to anyone who competes or performs in front of an audience". When you know the competitors or performers are likely to read or hear of your comments, that comes across as rude and hurtful.

To be fair, when you look at our media, we do have a tendancy to say "Tim Henman's rubbish, he always loses to Roger Federer", while ignoring the fact that he's the best male player we've had for a decade. So you could say there's precedent. But do you really want to equate your morals with those of the British tabloids?

TheTramp
27th-March-2006, 05:51 PM
And since you have something of a reputation for making off-the-cuff, ill-thought-out, and uninformed remarks on this forum, you shouldn't really be surprised if you get taken to task when you come out with more of the same.

But fortunately, as well as being about winning and losing, competitions are about demonstrating to an audience what you can do, about putting on a show for the spectators, having an opportunity to see and learn from the best, and be inspired to improve, win or lose.

In that sense, the runners up weren't in anyway wanting, let alone "well short".

Competitions are also about having fun, and enjoying yourself. And anyone who can do all of that at a competition, deserves respect, not ill-thought-out, unadvised comments.

They weren't at all wanting, but, as per my previous post, I'd say that 5'2" might be classed as well short. In some circles (obviously not those that Andy McGregor is in though!) :flower:

Mary
27th-March-2006, 06:31 PM

Apology accepted. I agree that Steve and Jo deserved to win - they can do some amazing aerials :worthy: However, to be 'rubbished' in such a fashion can make one a teensy weensy bit sensitive.

That said I would like to think we can now join some of those illustrious names who have been equally insulted like David & Lily, Will & Kate, and the Jivemasters finalists. :respect: :respect: :D

I hope you managed to get your boiler fixed btw - I had a similar problem recently and it was very expensive!!!:mad:

M

Alice
28th-March-2006, 06:23 AM
Darn it. I seem to be thwarted at every turn- a friend:whistle: just tried to book me in for the lucky dip and there's no more female places. :mad:

does this mean it's all over, there's no chance or might there be more places if more guys enter?

and if that's the case, how do I pursuade them all to enter?:devil: :flower: :flower:

stewart38
28th-March-2006, 09:43 AM

Why don't you actually put some time into explaining exactly why you thought the runners up were "well short", if you have any actual contribution to make?

You know Chris you a pretty sad man

You running out of people to attack as everyone seems to be leaving the forum :sad:

I made a comment and apologise the INDIVIDUAL involved who i hope will still dance with me again. I though the winners were better

If you have nothing better to do in life i feel sorry for you

Ill negative rep you and leave it as ive had enough

Gus
28th-March-2006, 10:07 AM
Hey! I know what .... HOW ABOUT TALKING ABOUT THE COMPETITION instead of slagging off each other :wink:

As I've not been able to slag off Ceroc(tm) [aka The Evil Empire] for ages seems like I've got a lot of making up to do so .......

..... actually, and it hurts me to say this, can't really think of anything nasty to say(:mad: :eek: :eek: :eek: ). Though I won't be there it promises to be a real fight. Simon & Nicole trying to get revenge over Phil & Yuko in the Open with hopefully Will & Kate back in the frame to make the Open another exiting contest ... plus who know which new blood will be there to upset the old guard. With Dave Bradley organising and Erik's team on the decks it should be a good one ....... if only there was room to dance :whistle:

Sparkles
28th-March-2006, 10:12 AM
... and if only it wasn't so expensive just to spectate!

Anita
28th-March-2006, 10:17 AM
Darn it. I seem to be thwarted at every turn- a friend:whistle: just tried to book me in for the lucky dip and there's no more female places. :mad:

does this mean it's all over, there's no chance or might there be more places if more guys enter?

and if that's the case, how do I pursuade them all to enter?:devil: :flower: :flower:

That's interesting I'm sure that the competition web site still showed that loads of places were available. Maybe it hasn't been updated. I think if all 120 places have gone, that your lot :( Maybe there is a "reserves" list where you turn up on the day and hope that places become available ???? Does anyone know????

Hope you get to dance at the champs Alice :flower:

stewart38
28th-March-2006, 10:37 AM
Hey! I know what .... HOW ABOUT TALKING ABOUT THE COMPETITION instead of slagging off each other :wink:

[/i]

yes pleaseeeeee

Im on 666 reps points :devil:

what competition ?

Anita
28th-March-2006, 10:54 AM
I noticed that the place availability figures on the Ceroc website are different depending on which bit you look at.

For example 20 places or 15 places are available for the Open category depending on where you look.

I'm sure a few people will want to get their entries in quickly if it is only 15 :really:

Tiggerbabe
28th-March-2006, 11:37 AM
Maybe there is a "reserves" list where you turn up on the day and hope that places become available ???? Does anyone know????

I think there usually are ladies on a reserve list, in case people don't turn up/are injured and can't dance on the day. However, if they are telling you the list is closed it possibly means they now have a full reserve list too. Sorry :(

Alice
28th-March-2006, 02:47 PM
I think there usually are ladies on a reserve list, in case people don't turn up/are injured and can't dance on the day. However, if they are telling you the list is closed it possibly means they now have a full reserve list too. Sorry :(
I suspected that might be the case:( I've emailed the organisers anyway...you never know.... Thanks for the advice everyone! :hug:

Would be great to be able to compete in it- it's more fun when you're involved (and I need the practice). Still- if I can't compete I'll have lots of time to watch....:whistle:

Paul F
28th-March-2006, 09:11 PM
Im still trying to decide if I can commit myself to getting there early enough to do the lucky dip.

One of these days I will make a decision without any procrastination. :rolleyes:

drathzel
28th-March-2006, 09:31 PM
Im still trying to decide if I can commit myself to getting there early enough to do the lucky dip.

One of these days I will make a decision without any procrastination. :rolleyes:

by the sounds of the amount of women over it could be Double trouble lucky dip!

Get yourself down there man and make a woman very happy!:D

Alice
29th-March-2006, 12:15 PM
by the sounds of the amount of women over it could be Double trouble lucky dip!

Get yourself down there man and make a woman very happy!:D
Yep- no procrastinating for boys allows:) (and bring some friends)

Missy D
29th-March-2006, 11:00 PM
well looks like i am not competing this year:tears: My regular dance partner has been drafted to work on this huge contract for 5 months:sad: I did get asked by someone else but, I am told he is practising with some one else. :angry:

Oh well! will enjoy the event all the same. Will be great to see everyone again too.:clap:

drathzel
29th-March-2006, 11:58 PM
Yep- no procrastinating for boys allows:) (and bring some friends)
:yeah: whats i try in my classes, some weeks it works, some weeks it doesnt!:hug:

Alice
30th-March-2006, 12:04 AM
:yeah: whats i try in my classes, some weeks it works, some weeks it doesnt!:hug:
Tee hee...
Although at my last night of dancing (the last in sydney for quite some time- :eek:) I did have some fun watching three girls doing triples:) Who said we need boys to dance!! :rolleyes:

drathzel
30th-March-2006, 12:20 AM
Tee hee...
Although at my last night of dancing (the last in sydney for quite some time- :eek:) I did have some fun watching three girls doing triples:) Who said we need boys to dance!! :rolleyes:

I do that too! but only when i have danced with all the beginners and my intermediate women are sitting out! its a good laugh:hug:

mikeyr
30th-March-2006, 11:28 AM
well looks like i am not competing this year:tears: My regular dance partner has been drafted to work on this huge contract for 5 months:sad: I did get asked by someone else but, I am told he is practising with some one else. :angry:

So someone told you I was practising with someone else. :really: This is the first I have heard of this:confused: Did you think to find out if this was true by asking me before making that statement. I should be the one who is :angry:

Also Practising What ?? We have no routine to practise. I cant get time with you to even start to put together a routine:angry:

Also practising for What?? The above is the first definite that you were not doing this event with your previous partner.

Its a shame there isnt a Smiley for extremely P***ed off :mad:

drathzel
30th-March-2006, 11:56 AM
So someone told you I was practising with someone else. :really: This is the first I have heard of this:confused: Did you think to find out if this was true by asking me before making that statement. I should be the one who is :angry:

Also Practising What ?? We have no routine to practise. I cant get time with you to even start to put together a routine:angry:

Also practising for What?? The above is the first definite that you were not doing this event with your previous partner.

Its a shame there isnt a Smiley for extremely P***ed off :mad:

Firstly, how do you know she is talking abuot you, she may have been asked by someone else!

Secondly, when someone is unreliable in the past, you tend to believe it will happen again

I think your post should have been pm-ed to Missy D, rather than put it out publically.

mikeyr
30th-March-2006, 12:05 PM
Without going in to the details. I know its me. And if I could get an answer from Missy D in the normal fashion then I wouldnt need to put it in the public domain. And also it would have been nice for Missy D to have contacted me prior to making false allegations in public.

drathzel
30th-March-2006, 12:10 PM
Without going in to the details. I know its me. And if I could get an answer from Missy D in the normal fashion then I wouldnt need to put it in the public domain. And also it would have been nice for Missy D to have contacted me prior to making false allegations in public.

Dont worry about the details! How do you know its you, she did not put your name down. It still would have been nicer for you to try and contact her through pm before posting on the forum publically.

Its the forum, we all post things we should have checked first, but we dont, we plunder straight in! We however normally dont make personal allegations. At least Missy D didnt name the person, whoever they were!

Andy McGregor
30th-March-2006, 12:26 PM
STOP!!!

please :flower:

This is real thread about a real competition. It'll be outside if this line of argument continues.

Me, keeping the peace? Whatever next?

drathzel
30th-March-2006, 12:30 PM
STOP!!!

please :flower:

This is real thread about a real competition. It'll be outside if this line of argument continues.

Me, keeping the peace? Whatever next?

sorry:blush: but he started it:D

Andy McGregor
30th-March-2006, 12:39 PM
sorry:blush: but he started it:DRemember the sound of one hand clapping. Don't be the other hand :wink:

And BTW, has anybody got their tickets, numbers, etc? I entered ages ago and haven't had anything yet.

And I still don't have a clue what the shoulder drop is or half of the other moves as recommended by Ceroc. And I haven't seen my partner for ages or done any practicing - but I've been thinking a lot about outfits, obviously :waycool:

drathzel
30th-March-2006, 12:48 PM
And I still don't have a clue what the shoulder drop is
Men offer your right hand to the ladies right
1. draw a semi circle to the right and both step back
2. Both step in as the man raises his right hand to turn the lady in an anit-clockwise direction
3. Men, turn clockwise until your back is to the lady and lower the ladys hand onto your right shoulder
4.Step to you left as you straighten your right arm, Ladies step to the right
5.. Men bring the ladys hand back to your right shoulder as you step to the right. Ladies step to your left
6 Men let go wit you right hand as you step forward offering your left hand behind your take. Ladies step back and take hold of the mans left hand with your right hand
7. men as you step back raise your left hand to turn the lady in an anticlockwise direction to face
8. lower your hand and both step back

Andy McGregor
30th-March-2006, 12:56 PM
Men offer your right hand to the ladies right

snip

8. lower your hand and both step backThank you :flower:

So that's 3 moves from the list for Ceroc X. Should do nicely :wink:

dee
30th-March-2006, 01:34 PM
Secondly, when someone is unreliable in the past, you tend to believe it will happen again

Sis just do the comp with me less hassle and i won't even asked you to come to bed with me :flower:

I've not got my ticket yet but i always really love this event. Will look forward to meeting you all again :hug:

Andy McGregor
30th-March-2006, 01:52 PM
i won't even ask you to come to bed with me :flower: Now this is one of us guy's universal fantasies. Please don't tease us like this :devil:

drathzel
30th-March-2006, 01:56 PM
Now this is one of us guy's universal fantasies. Please don't tease us like this :devil:

You should have been on the sofa the other day! There were three of us girlies! and only one rythym king!:D

Andy McGregor
30th-March-2006, 02:10 PM
You should have been on the sofa the other day! There were three of us girlies! and only one rythym king!:DAre you saying that what you needed was a nice pink rabbit? :what:

Missy D
30th-March-2006, 02:13 PM
Firstly I was not refering to Mikeyr!!!

Thank you Drathzel for sticking up for me whilst i am at work.

The person i was talking about is not on the forum hence not mentioning his name.

My dance partner of five years on and off is Ray who is not on the forum. He couldnt do the comp with me as he has a huge contract has come up and he has to work very long hours.

Mikeyr asked me to do the comp but i never gave him a straight answer. I went for a ballroom lesson with him on sat. The teachers talked to us about our dancing (them being professionals) said i needed to do this and that. With Mikeyr they said he looked like he had left his horse behind.

Meanwhile i had been in contact with a friend who i have danced with for 3 years and who always asks me to compete. He is not on the forum!!!!! I rang him to ask if he was competing and he said he was but, with his girlfriend.

So Mikeyr I do have a home number your know. We did date for 8 months last year (probably a shock to some). None of which i wrote was about you! Get your facts straight before accusing me of anything.:mad: If you had rang my home number you would have found it engaged owing to being on the phone to the Police re:- cash card fraud!! So i was not ignoring you or talking about you behind your back. Oh and just checked my pm does work!

And Dee you know i always have the baby oil ready for you baby!!:rofl:

Right ok who wants to compete with me?:flower:

Andy McGregor
30th-March-2006, 02:22 PM
And Dee you know i always have the baby oil ready for you baby!!:rofl:
Where are those :very scared: and :gulp: smileys when you need them?

Right ok who wants to compete with me?:flower:I'll do it. I'm already in the Ceroc X and Lucky dip. How about double trouble with me, you and your sister* - although we'll all need to wash the baby oil off our hands before we do any lifts** :innocent:

*Can we base the whole outfit theme on glitter?

**I only weigh 68 kilos, I'm sure that you can cope with 34 kilos or rabbit each :wink:

drathzel
30th-March-2006, 02:27 PM
Are you saying that what you needed was a nice pink rabbit? :what:

I colour doesnt matter but if a pink one is on offer then....:devil:

dee
30th-March-2006, 02:30 PM
Where are those :very scared: and :gulp: smileys when you need them?

I'll do it. I'm already in the Ceroc X and Lucky dip. How about double trouble with me, you and your sister* - although we'll all need to wash the baby oil off our hands before we do any lifts** :innocent:

*Can we base the whole outfit theme on glitter?

**I only weigh 68 kilos, I'm sure that you can cope with 34 kilos or rabbit each :wink:

Now that is an offer i can't refuse, how about you sis? :yum:

Mikeyr and his horse :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Andy McGregor
30th-March-2006, 02:33 PM
Now that is an offer i can't refuse, how about you sis? :yum: It's the temptation of glitter. Works every time :innocent:

Andy McGregor
30th-March-2006, 02:35 PM
I colour doesnt matter but if a pink one is on offer then....:devil:I only come in pink*.

*Surprisingly, this might be taken as even ruder than I'd intended. But, in the immortal words of Frankie Howerd "suit yourselves"...

dee
30th-March-2006, 02:47 PM
I only come in pink*.

*Surprisingly, this might be taken as even ruder than I'd intended. But, in the immortal words of Frankie Howerd "suit yourselves"...

*dee calls ceroc champs hotline to book her ticket* :yum:

Missy D
30th-March-2006, 03:02 PM
I only come in pink*.

Young man! can you say things like this on this forum:eek:

I feel this thread could be upstairs by the end of the day:whistle:

bigdjiver
30th-March-2006, 03:06 PM
I was tempted to break my own idle-chatter rules and post something about pink glittering chocolate shoes, but instead I will post about how difficult the judges task is. I have been looking at the Bugg clips on http://www.video.nackswinget.net/
The first thing that struck me was the number of competitions that they had. The second was how nice it was to be able to see all of the competitorsat the same time, and the third was the utter impossibility, for me at least, of making any sensible judgement about whou should be placed where. I have looked at one of the clips three times now, and still have no idea of whom Ishould place first.
It did strike me that one or two of these clips could be used by prospective judges as a training exercise, comparing views. They have the advantage that (presumably) none of the competitors would be known to the judges, and so any unconcious biases would be eliminated.

drathzel
30th-March-2006, 04:20 PM
I only come in pink*.

Woohoo!!!!! Altho blue is my favorite colour, pink is a lot heathier!

Rhythm King
30th-March-2006, 04:41 PM
Woohoo!!!!! Altho blue is my favorite colour, pink is a lot heathier!
Personally, I'd have thought green was a lot heathier.

drathzel
30th-March-2006, 04:50 PM
Personally, I'd have thought green was a lot heathier.

Um, R-K maybe you should take your rabbit to a vet!:devil:

Andy McGregor
30th-March-2006, 05:20 PM
Woohoo!!!!! Altho blue is my favorite colour, pink is a lot heathier!You're mixing up your rabbits and your Smurfs - and pink rabbits are a lot healthier than blue smurfs as it's easier to tell when they're clean.

drathzel
30th-March-2006, 05:26 PM
You're mixing up your rabbits and your Smurfs - and pink rabbits are a lot healthier than blue smurfs as it's easier to tell when they're clean.

I thought smurfs were wipe clean?:confused:

Missy D
30th-March-2006, 05:37 PM
You're mixing up your rabbits and your Smurfs - and pink rabbits are a lot healthier than blue smurfs as it's easier to tell when they're clean.

But where do you put the batteries in a smurf:confused:

Andy McGregor
30th-March-2006, 05:44 PM
I thought smurfs were wipe clean?:confused:But how do you know when you've wiped them enough? They'll never tell you to stop wiping...

p.s. Anybody remember what this thread was about? At least they've stopped fighting :innocent:

So, back to the plot. There's this double trouble team made up of me Missy D and Dee and this vat of baby oil and some other stuff that I didn't listen to as my mind was elsewhere :innocent:

Oh, we probably need to talk a lot about how we've not done any practice but I think we'll actually need a huge amount of practice to be able to dance while slippery :devil:

drathzel
30th-March-2006, 05:55 PM
But where do you put the batteries in a smurf:confused:

The same place you would put them in a rabbit!:devil:

drathzel
30th-March-2006, 05:56 PM
But how do you know when you've wiped them enough? They'll never tell you to stop wiping...

Thats the fun part!:innocent:

Missy D
30th-March-2006, 05:59 PM
Back on track now! so who is actually competing this year?

WittyBird
30th-March-2006, 06:14 PM
Without going in to the details.{yak yak yak snip out the bull }

MikeyR your bang out of order.:mad: MissyD didn't give names and I know for a fact she wasn't referring to you. I think you owe her an apology :eek:

Andy McGregor
30th-March-2006, 06:41 PM
MikeyR your bang out of order.:mad: MissyD didn't give names and I know for a fact she wasn't referring to you. I think you owe her an apology :eek:Where were you witty? We're not talking about that any more. We've had a talk about the sound of one hand clapping, moved onto rabbits and where you put their batteries, then debated how long it takes to wipe a smurf clean - all via a fantasy world inhabited by two very sexy sisters, me and a vat of baby oil. All in all a quite satisfying debate :clap:

dee
30th-March-2006, 11:25 PM
Where were you witty? We're not talking about that any more. We've had a talk about the sound of one hand clapping, moved onto rabbits and where you put their batteries, then debated how long it takes to wipe a smurf clean - all via a fantasy world inhabited by two very sexy sisters, me and a vat of baby oil. All in all a quite satisfying debate :clap:

On that note im off to bed :yum:

WittyBird
31st-March-2006, 12:14 AM
Where were you witty?

Working :D Then I had to rush thru the thread before I went to taxi at St Albans then back to work for a meeting :mad: No rest for the wicked, and a wicked little birdie I am :rofl:

So tell me more about this baby oil, 2 sisters and the other things you dream about :flower:

Andy McGregor
31st-March-2006, 12:16 AM
So tell me more about this baby oil, 2 sisters and the other things you dream about :flower:I haven't dreamt about it yet as those naughty, naughty sisters only suggested the whole thing today. But I expect I will dream a very odd dream tonight - I just hope it's in colour with glitter vision.

WittyBird
31st-March-2006, 12:19 AM
But I expect I will dream a very odd dream tonight - I just hope it's in colour with glitter vision.

Sorry if I'm being thick but.........
Your a bloke (so they say :rofl: ) don't you only see in black and white ?

Andy McGregor
31st-March-2006, 01:00 AM
don't you only see in black and white ?Due to some trick of nature I'm actually a male lesbian. That means I'm male but I think like a woman - but a gay one. And I dream in colour, like musical theatre and Kylie. Confused? I am.

WittyBird
31st-March-2006, 01:07 AM
Confused? I am.

Doesn't take a lot to confuse you though does it my sweet:D
So are you going to wear your Austin Powers shirt for the comp? :yum: Look forward to seeing you there.

I will be competing :eek:
But only under these catagories....

person whose trousers fall down the most
dancer who looks the most pregnant
female who can't keep breasts in clothing
most served at the bar

According to Ladbrooks I am favourite in all catagories :clap:

Andy McGregor
31st-March-2006, 01:10 AM
most served at the bar
5 Shortest entrant.
6. Most sexy entrant.
7. Worst hair day.
8. Loveliest female.
9. Female with scariest friend.

WittyBird
31st-March-2006, 01:17 AM
5 Shortest entrant.
Pot - Kettle - Black

6. Most sexy entrant.
Absolutely :rofl: *will pay you later*

7. Worst hair day..
Why do you think I have the hat :blush:

8. Loveliest female..
Will you have my children? :D
*cos I need a babysitter on Saturday night*

9. Female with scariest friend.
Who that then? :really:

bigdjiver
31st-March-2006, 09:57 AM
One thing I liked about the way Bugg handle their comps when they get down to the last few in the finals is that the couples rotate around the dance floor in a counter-clockwise direction. This gives the audience and judges a better chance to see something of all of the competitors.

One thing I did not like - their version of double trouble is very choreographed. with some independent "formation" segments.

robd
31st-March-2006, 01:31 PM

most served at the bar

What about furriest moonboots, you're a shoe-in for that one.

WittyBird
31st-March-2006, 06:35 PM
What about furriest moonboots, you're a shoe-in for that one.

Yeah and you with your colour co-ordinated socks we should enter together :respect:

Andy McGregor
31st-March-2006, 06:39 PM
Pot - Kettle - BlackNot if a certain dancer from Clevedon is in the competition :innocent:

thewacko
31st-March-2006, 11:26 PM

most served at the bar

According to Ladbrooks I am favourite in all catagories :clap:
According to William Hill I am favourite for 1 and 2 and level pegging with you on 4

as far as 3 goes - well Iam the biggest t1t going but unfortunately I am in womens clothing a lot more than yours so I lose out on that one
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

WittyBird
1st-April-2006, 08:46 PM
According to William Hill I am favourite for 1 and 2 and level pegging with you on 4

No one level pegs with me :rofl: Unless dancing to ' I close my eyes' then you win *hands down

*or should that be pants down

robd
2nd-April-2006, 03:31 AM
Wait until you see the socks I bought last week. Stripey sensations :D Just the thing to set off the all black look.

Yeah and you with your colour co-ordinated socks we should enter together :respect:

Angel
2nd-April-2006, 01:09 PM
Just thought i would look in on this thread in hope of some infomation on the Ceroc Champs, i take it it's just another thread about innuendos :confused:

Paul F
2nd-April-2006, 01:21 PM
Just thought i would look in on this thread in hope of some infomation on the Ceroc Champs, i take it it's just another thread about innuendos :confused:

Unfortunatey thats the way threads seem to go. They all start off on topic and appropriate and then it ends up down the usual route :rolleyes:

I dont think thats anyones fault, its just down to 'thread evolution' (new university course looming there :grin: )

DavidY
2nd-April-2006, 01:27 PM
Just thought i would look in on this thread in hope of some infomation on the Ceroc Champs, i take it it's just another thread about innuendos :confused:Well back at the start of the thread, I did put a link to the Champs website. And there a fair amount of on-topic discussion about the new Ceroc X trophy. So Page 1 (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7539) was pretty good...

Zebra Woman
2nd-April-2006, 02:10 PM
Wait until you see the socks I bought last week. Stripey sensations :D Just the thing to set off the all black look.

Stripey Sensations? :really:

Just the thing to set me off too, please wear them to Daventry Rob. :flower:

WittyBird
2nd-April-2006, 02:15 PM
Just the thing to set me off too, please wear them to Daventry Rob. :flower:
:rofl: How did Missy D get hold of your log in's ZW?

karlhudds
5th-May-2006, 07:21 PM
well to anyone looking on this thread

the cerox was really hard

i got disqualified

Northants Girly
5th-May-2006, 11:46 PM
well to anyone looking on this thread

the cerox was really hard

i got disqualifiedNevermind - well done for giving it a go :clap:
. . . . and welcome to the forum :flower:

karlhudds