PDA

View Full Version : Euro Millions Its a roll over !

stewart38
20th-January-2006, 03:41 PM
If you take part in the draw tonight and you are the only Jackpot winner you walk away with £85,000,000

What would you do with that money ?

Good luck everyone :yeah:

ps if anyone knows the winning numbers now could they post them :whistle:

WittyBird
20th-January-2006, 03:42 PM
2, 5, 11, 17,29,47 happy now? :rolleyes:

TiggsTours
20th-January-2006, 03:43 PM
I knew there was something else I meant to get at lunchtime!:what:

Dreadful Scathe
20th-January-2006, 03:44 PM

I find it funny that people shout "you've just GOT to play the lottery as its 85 million pound tonight" as if the usual 10 million quid is too little to bother entering for.

muppets :)

.....I'm off to buy a lottery ticket

Rhythm King
20th-January-2006, 03:57 PM

I find it funny that people shout "you've just GOT to play the lottery as its 85 million pound tonight" as if the usual 10 million quid is too little to bother entering for.

muppets :)

.....I'm off to buy a lottery ticket

Yes please do - it'll be more for me to win!

:rofl:

Apparently if you were to bank it, the interest would be in the region of £8000 a day. I think I could just about scrape by on that. When not flying to California for WCS lessons in my private jet, of course :whistle:

R-K

TheTramp
20th-January-2006, 04:02 PM
Apparently if you were to bank it, the interest would be in the region of £8000 a day. I think I could just about scrape by on that. When not flying to California for WCS lessons in my private jet, of course :whistle:
I'd have thought that you'd get much more than £8000 a day.

At just 5% non-compounded interest, you'd get £4.25million a year. That's around £11,500 a day. But I bet that you could get a much better rate of interest if you had that much to invest...

senorita
20th-January-2006, 04:04 PM

At just 5% non-compounded interest, you'd get £4.25million a year. That's around £11,500 a day. But I bet that you could get a much better rate of interest if you had that much to invest...

Is this where you call yourself...pedantic :rolleyes: :D :wink:

Oh sorry its ...sir pedantic ;-)

CJ
20th-January-2006, 04:07 PM

what's that minus inflation, though?!?

killingtime
20th-January-2006, 04:08 PM

I'd hire Icey as an accountant to deal with all that sort of stuff. I'm sure she wouldn't embezzle :rolleyes:.

Jenni
20th-January-2006, 04:13 PM
Yes please do - it'll be more for me to win!

:rofl:

R-K

How much would you charge us poor plebs who don't win to come with you for WCS? :flower:

TheTramp
20th-January-2006, 04:14 PM
what's that minus inflation, though?!?
Sure. If it was me, I'd be putting at least half the interest back into the principle, so that it never became worth less in real terms....

Should be enough keft for a pretty good time though!

Clive Long
20th-January-2006, 04:19 PM
I have been pretty much against "The Lottery" since it came out.

Is it called regressive taxation? I think the theory goes (although I don't know the figures so I may be way, way wrong on this) those on lower incomes play it more, and spend a greater proportion of their incomes on tickets, than those on higher salaries because a win might just lift them out of the economic misery they are in. It's invisible taxation dressed up as "a bit of fun" - I think the principles and purposes behind it border on the corrupt.

I'm not against anybody making money (by fairly legal means) but these lotteries trade on people's discontent and hopes.

And I've never won a bean on it.

Have a nice day

Clive Long M.O.G.

but I wouldn't say no to a couple of million meself

senorita
20th-January-2006, 04:28 PM
If you take part in the draw tonight and you are the only Jackpot winner you walk away with £85,000,000

What would you do with that money ?

What would I do if I won.....Fullfill my parents dreams and my brothers. I would go off travlling around the world again, buy myself a lovely home. Would love to open my own art sudio and fitness & holistic health centre. I also would like to open my own dance venues (have already lined up my teachers and DJ's :) )
Dont want much really :rofl:

El Salsero Gringo
20th-January-2006, 04:28 PM
But I bet that you could get a much better rate of interest if you had that much to invest...Not on bank deposit you couldn't. The London Interbank Offered Rate (LIBOR) on Sterling is currently around 4.6% for deposits up to 12 months.

TheTramp
20th-January-2006, 04:45 PM
Not on bank deposit you couldn't. The London Interbank Offered Rate (LIBOR) on Sterling is currently around 4.6% for deposits up to 12 months.
What about offshore banking?

killingtime
20th-January-2006, 04:47 PM
What about offshore banking?

Like... on an oil rig? :confused:

El Salsero Gringo
20th-January-2006, 04:56 PM
What about offshore banking?We don't have currency import/export restrictions any more, so why would anyone pay you more than 4.6% to borrow your £80m, if they can borrow the same amount for exactly that rate in the London markets?

If you find someone who will pay you more - anywhere - and it's a real deal - then let me know. I shall borrow the cash in London at 4.6% and loan it out for more. I shall then keep the difference (it's called arbitrage.)

David Bailey
20th-January-2006, 05:02 PM

Is it called regressive taxation? I think the theory goes (although I don't know the figures so I may be way, way wrong on this) those on lower incomes play it more, and spend a greater proportion of their incomes on tickets, than those on higher salaries because a win might just lift them out of the economic misery they are in. It's invisible taxation dressed up as "a bit of fun" - I think the principles and purposes behind it border on the corrupt.

Me too - to quote Viz (!), a "tax on the poor and stupid".

I remember it took me ages - months - when it came out, to grasp the concept that the state was encouraging citizens to gamble. I'm still flabbergasted by it in fact, the hypocrisy behind it is quite breathtaking.

And I work in the gambling industry - but at least I don't have the gall to pretend it's a charity.

TiggsTours
20th-January-2006, 05:15 PM

Is it called regressive taxation?

Mmm, yes, but I've never had a tax rebate that big!

philsmove
20th-January-2006, 05:18 PM
for starters may be a new Vettriano's (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4630828.stm) for the Kitchen

Lee
20th-January-2006, 05:23 PM
I did 30 lucky dips.

philsmove
21st-January-2006, 11:39 AM
I could afford my ultimate dream car (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4633986.stm)

LMC
21st-January-2006, 12:04 PM
Nobody has said that they would make an offer for Ceroc?

No, I wouldn't want it either... :devil:

stewart38
21st-January-2006, 12:58 PM
I decided not to win the £85m and made sure no one else did by ripping up all the other tickets !!!

Feel its better to win a round £100,000,000 million next friday :yeah:

The wining numbers are

12,17,23,36,47 02 07

Now wouldnt that be ironic if they were :whistle:

LMC
21st-January-2006, 01:03 PM
If you win, you'll get so many begging letters that you'll really wish you hadn't told everyone the numbers.

Never mind, you only have a one in about 76 million chance of winning (IIRC, can't be bothered to check) so I wouldn't lose sleep over it :D

Alternatively, if enough people believe you, they'll buy the same numbers and you'll have to share :whistle:

fletch
21st-January-2006, 01:21 PM
ooooooo I love threads like this, especially when I have nothing else to do, I wonder how many dresses I can get with it................................:waycool:

I would have more diamonds than Liz taylor.............................:D

Wonder if I would get any male company then?:whistle: suppose not,:what: I would be even more unapproachable,:eek: but then I could buy some:wink:

djtrev
21st-January-2006, 01:41 PM
As I said on another thread(same subject) Last week there were 20 odd people who were 1 number short of the jackpot,this week there were about 18 who were 1 short.

That one number(if only I'd...)was the difference between 220 thousand and 87 MILLION

I dont know about you but I think it would haunt me forever.

LMC
21st-January-2006, 02:25 PM
That's sad.

Rather than wasting the rest of your life on "if only's" how about celebrating the fact that you had £220K that you wouldn't otherwise have had - for most people, that's enough to pay off the mortgage and hopefully leave some over for a new car and/or a holiday. I'd be over the moon with that.

ducasi
21st-January-2006, 03:09 PM
I'd be over the moon with that. :yeah:

I don't need millions – sure it's be cool, but I would be very happy and wouldn't lose sleep if I'd just won almost a quarter of a million.

stewart38
21st-January-2006, 03:26 PM
That's sad.

Rather than wasting the rest of your life on "if only's" how about celebrating the fact that you had £220K that you wouldn't otherwise have had - for most people, that's enough to pay off the mortgage and hopefully leave some over for a new car and/or a holiday. I'd be over the moon with that.

Many including myself wouldnt :sad:

LMC
21st-January-2006, 04:27 PM
Well, if you're that unhappy with £220K, then hand it over to me :D

(I was there first ducasi, but if I've got enough left over I'll buy you a pony)

I know a number of people (through work) who have the kind of money that the rest of us can only dream of (some have more than the Euromillions jackpot even). And it ain't all it's cracked up to be. So you've got the big house and land, the yacht, the private jet, the Caribbean island getaway, etc. etc. - where does that leave your friends and family? - where do you draw the line on who you're going to make "presents" to? Do new people you meet really like you? - or do they prefer your money. Imagine having to worry every day about your children being kidnapped. Imagine having to manage the people you will need to manage the lifestyle that comes with that amount of cash - at least one full-time accountant/investment manager, security staff, staff to look after the mansion and 50 acres of grounds, the pilot, maintenance for the jet, the cars, the yacht - etc. Or imagine having to place your absolute trust in one person who could manage all those people for you while you sun yourself on your private beach.

Of course, having stupid amounts of cash would make up for all these "traumas". But money is only important if you haven't got any - and most folks, rich or poor, are as happy as they want to be.

Of course the jackpot would be better - but any significant amount of cash (say, more than a year of your salary) will make some positive change (even if it's just the memories of p***ing it away on partying!). And you can carry on buying tickets and still have the same chance of winning - the machine doesn't know that you've already had a prize.

Dreadful Scathe
21st-January-2006, 05:26 PM

You clearly arent all that happy with your life if that would haunt you. What about if every single number you picked was exactly one above the actual winning number - would that haunt you more because it won you nothing at all ? :)

ducasi
21st-January-2006, 05:49 PM
(I was there first ducasi, but if I've got enough left over I'll buy you a pony) :clap: I get a pony! I wonder what I'll call her...

I'd probably spend the £220K mostly on property... A nice flat here, and maybe one somewhere in the Med...

Of course, both would have a fair-sized dance floor for the occasional wee party, or when I have the best teachers round for private lessons... :nice:

El Salsero Gringo
21st-January-2006, 06:35 PM
:clap: I get a pony! I wonder what I'll call her...

I'd probably spend the £220K mostly on property... A nice flat here, and maybe one somewhere in the Med...

Of course, both would have a fair-sized dance floor for the occasional wee party, or when I have the best teachers round for private lessons... :nice:A nice flat round *here* would cost considerably more than that, and for one with a fair-sized dance floor, probably £1m!

TheTramp
21st-January-2006, 07:43 PM
A nice flat round *here* would cost considerably more than that, and for one with a fair-sized dance floor, probably £1m!
That's why we live round *here*, rather than round *there* :whistle:

Robin
22nd-January-2006, 02:23 AM
As I said on another thread(same subject) Last week there were 20 odd people who were 1 number short of the jackpot,this week there were about 18 who were 1 short.

That one number(if only I'd...)was the difference between 220 thousand and 87 MILLION

I was being silly an worked out that at the very least, if you won 87million, you'd have to spend about £11,000 a day not to get any richer !! :eek:

Or save up and buy a Ferrari every week.

Begs a new thread - how would you spend 11k a day!

stewart38
24th-January-2006, 05:21 PM
Nobody has said that they would make an offer for Ceroc?

How much is ceroc worth ? Im winning the £100m this week

Id get rid of coffee queues :yeah:

WittyBird
24th-January-2006, 05:25 PM

Let me guess more cake?

stewart38
24th-January-2006, 05:31 PM
Let me guess more cake?

there was no 'fixed' allocation of 'cake' at Amersham :whistle:

Robin
24th-January-2006, 05:47 PM
there was no 'fixed' allocation of 'cake' at Amersham :whistle:

neither at finchley or cheshunt I hasten to add

anyway - you can't win it this week, Adam is still over so you'll have to wait until he leaves - otherwise you'll probably not go to his x-rated workshop on sunday

hehe - how many different plugs can i get in a single post ehhhh????

damn - forgot to plug cerocSPAIN's weekenders - DAMN!
:innocent:

stewart38
27th-January-2006, 03:10 PM
2, 5, 11, 17,29,47 happy now? :rolleyes:

They are todays ??

what if they were that would be a good definition of being ****** Off :whistle:

LMC
28th-January-2006, 02:06 AM
I won :clap:

Only £8.90, so I won't let it change me.

stewart38
28th-January-2006, 02:44 AM
I cant believe its another roll over as sales were up 1000%

It makes no sense at all

chance of wiining must be 1/50 * 1/49 * 1/48 * 1/47 *1/46 then is it * 1/9 * 1/8 is that 1 in 76000000 ? Much more tickets we sold then that :sick:

ducasi
28th-January-2006, 12:09 PM
I won :clap:

Only £8.90, so I won't let it change me.
I'd just like you to know that I've always really liked you... :flower:

So how are you going to spend your money on me? :wink:

LMC
28th-January-2006, 01:05 PM
I thought I'd go with the George Best option, except I'd waste half on wine, men and song (rather than women) before wasting the rest.

WittyBird
28th-January-2006, 01:38 PM
Hey push the boat out LMC :rofl:

ducasi
28th-January-2006, 02:58 PM
I thought I'd go with the George Best option, except I'd waste half on wine, men and song (rather than women) before wasting the rest.
I can think of two men you'll have reason to spend money on come June... :whistle:

TheTramp
28th-January-2006, 03:06 PM
I can think of two men you'll have reason to spend money on come June... :whistle:
Half on wine, men and song? That'd be about £4.45 then?

Lucky that you can get Glasgow men for about £1.30 each! :whistle:

ducasi
28th-January-2006, 03:16 PM
Half on wine, men and song? That'd be about £4.45 then?

Lucky that you can get Glasgow men for about £1.30 each! :whistle:
£4.45 will buy two pints of Tennent's – one each...

I'm not that cheap though... Make it a Stella and I'm yours. :flower:

Clive Long
29th-January-2006, 02:59 AM
£4.45 will buy two pints of Tennent's – one each...

I'm not that cheap though... Make it a Stella and I'm yours. :flower:
I went to a bar in Covent Garden last night.

It was happy hour - I rubbed my hands with glee.

No draught beer - oh well!

"Sorry sir, bottled beer is not in the happy hour. Cocktails are"

At £6 a go for cocktails, someone was happy.

"OK. How much for a bottle of beer?" :nice:

"£3.30"

"'Ow much? !" :what:

"£3.30, sir" 'tight-fisted old git' left unsaid:cool:

"You're 'avin me on!" :wink:

"Sorry sir?" :confused:

"You're being serious aren't you .... ?" :tears:

"I'll drink it very slowly ..."

ducasi
29th-January-2006, 03:30 AM
"£3.30" Hmm... Sounds a bit like Tiger Tiger... Don't go there very often – since "happy hour" has been banned in Glasgow.

bigdjiver
29th-January-2006, 09:31 PM
I cant believe its another roll over as sales were up 1000%

It makes no sense at all

chance of wiining must be 1/50 * 1/49 * 1/48 * 1/47 *1/46 then is it * 1/9 * 1/8 is that 1 in 76000000 ? Much more tickets we sold then that :sick:Many people choose "lucky" numbers, such as house numbers and birthdays. These bias the selections towards the lower numbers. When the lower numbers do come up there is a much greater probability that the prize will be shared.

Minnie M
29th-January-2006, 10:43 PM
How much is ceroc worth ? Im winning the £100m this week

:rofl: :rofl:

stewart38
1st-February-2006, 03:21 PM
Many people choose "lucky" numbers, such as house numbers and birthdays. These bias the selections towards the lower numbers. When the lower numbers do come up there is a much greater probability that the prize will be shared.

Id really like to know why there has been so many roll overs

Ticket sales up 1000% last week 600% week before

It usually gets won once every 3 or 4 weeks (if you look at the last year stats)

the odds of winning must be 1/50 * 1/49 * 1/48 * 1/47 * 1/46 = 0.00000000391

then you have * 1/9 * 1/8 = 0.00000000005% (Bonus nos)

ie 1 in a 20,000,000,000 ie 1 in 20 billion chance

lets assume 100,000,000 million 'lines' are bought by 20 million people (i havent a clue what the nos are)

the fact is we can assume at least 10 times more people are playing then on average and still not won

Id have to go with the above people are going with birthdays etc

I cant check this theory as i cant access gambling sites at work so dont know the pattern of nos . if there all below 31 that theory is out of the window

If a set of low nos are won this week i bet there will be 23 winners so im going to put all high in and keep £125m . Ill give a million to BJ if i win the big one :yeah:

nos are

34, 37, 41, 43 ,46 and 8 and ---- (Ill keep the other one to myself :wink: )

stewart38
3rd-February-2006, 03:24 PM
The queues are building up

Good luck everyone !

£125,000,000 !

David Franklin
3rd-February-2006, 03:44 PM
the odds of winning must be 1/50 * 1/49 * 1/48 * 1/47 * 1/46 = 0.00000000391Assuming you need 5 matching numbers from 1...50, the odds of winning are 5! = 120 times higher than you've calculated. What you have calculated is the odds of winning and the numbers coming out in a particular order. Similarly, the odds of getting two particular bonus numbers is 2 / (9*8) = 1 / 36. The correct odds of winning are 1 in 76275360.

Unfortunately this is nearly 250 x bigger than your calculation, so the rest of your argument is moot...

stewart38
3rd-February-2006, 04:57 PM
Assuming you need 5 matching numbers from 1...50, the odds of winning are 5! = 120 times higher than you've calculated. What you have calculated is the odds of winning and the numbers coming out in a particular order. Similarly, the odds of getting two particular bonus numbers is 2 / (9*8) = 1 / 36. The correct odds of winning are 1 in 76275360.

Unfortunately this is nearly 250 x bigger than your calculation, so the rest of your argument is moot...

would suggest a conspiracy to me :yeah:

if its won on average every 4 /5 weeks . Its not been won for 13 weeks and 13 times more people playing it me thinks its being won but no one is being told :mad:

Donna
3rd-February-2006, 06:19 PM
I don't play the lottery no more because I'll be lucky if I ever get 1 number, let alone millions! :tears: By the time I win, I would have spent millions buying my lottery tickets! :D Think I'll stick to the raffles at my dance classes. I always win those!:clap:

ducasi
3rd-February-2006, 06:24 PM
Apparently you can buy every possible combination of numbers for about £110-ish million. Guaranteed win! :D

Just have to hope no-one else does the same, or just by fluke gets the winning numbers, or you're onto a loser. :(

So, can anyone lend me a few million? ;)

Donna
3rd-February-2006, 06:27 PM
So, can anyone lend me a few million? ;)

Not until I've won the lottery!!:D

Gadget
3rd-February-2006, 10:32 PM
You clearly arent all that happy with your life if that would haunt you. What about if every single number you picked was exactly one above the actual winning number - would that haunt you more because it won you nothing at all ? :)
:rofl: I've done that about three times now! :rofl: (I've actually won... erm,... about £30 in four years. :tears: )

Barry Shnikov
3rd-February-2006, 10:47 PM
Assuming you need 5 matching numbers from 1...50, the odds of winning are 5! = 120 times higher than you've calculated. What you have calculated is the odds of winning and the numbers coming out in a particular order. Similarly, the odds of getting two particular bonus numbers is 2 / (9*8) = 1 / 36. The correct odds of winning are 1 in 76275360.

Long time since I did maths, but isn't 5! nothing more than 5*4*3*2*1?