PDA

View Full Version : Dance Addict?

Gus
15th-February-2003, 11:02 AM
Following on from a number of recent threads re addiction to the dance ... wondered just how addicted people were. Care to share how many times a week you need to get a fix? :nice:

Will
15th-February-2003, 12:08 PM
Including my Salsa & Tango Fusion classes I'm a 6 times a week man. Although this week its all 7 days as I am demonstrating a Cerocshop on Sunday.

Sad eh! :sick:

Heather
15th-February-2003, 02:29 PM
:D :D You don't take into account how many times in the week a person would LIKE to go dancing but for reasons outwith their control, it is simply NOT POSSIBLE!!!!
I go dancing twice a week, three times if I am lucky enough to have a weekend like last weekend where there were TWO dances on (Friday+Saturday). I know I am totally addicted to dancing but unfortuately due to circumstances, cannot satisfy my addiction as often as I'd like!!!!!
Hope I don't overdose at Blackpool!!!!!!:D :D :wink: (As if that were possible!!!)
:cheers:
Heather,
:kiss:

Jayne
16th-February-2003, 12:37 PM
I'm with Heather on this one - I'm addicted to dance but I have other commitments/restrictions which prevent me from dancing every night of the week. If you base it on how often I go dancing I have a minor addiction but if you base it on things like not being able to listen to music without doing a wee routine in my head or finding myself suddenly doing a dance step to get across the office/kitchen then I'm totally addicted!

J :nice:

TheTramp
17th-February-2003, 02:03 AM
*sigh*

I'm not even gonna tell you where I come on this poll!! :what:

Steve

Gadget
17th-February-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Jayne
I'm with Heather on this one - I'm addicted to dance but I have other commitments/restrictions which prevent me from dancing every night of the week. If you base it on how often I go dancing I have a minor addiction but if you base it on things like not being able to listen to music without doing a wee routine in my head or finding myself suddenly doing a dance step to get across the office/kitchen then I'm totally addicted!

And I thought I was in the minority {:wink:}
I've even caught myself in the car twiddling my fingers and drawing small circles in the air to represent various parts of moves and returns...

OK So we know that Ceroc is addictive, we know the symptoms, we know the addicts, but what are the consequences of long term addiction ??

Jayne
17th-February-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
OK So we know that Ceroc is addictive, we know the symptoms, we know the addicts, but what are the consequences of long term addiction ??

You end up like Franck and Steve...

*ducks*

J :wink:

Gus
17th-February-2003, 12:50 PM

Boring the hell out of muggles who aren't into dance:wink:

Seriously though ... ANY form of activity 'addiction can be harmfull in that it removes balance from your life. It could be argued that Ceroc should be but one part of your life, and should not prevent you form enjoying other interests and activities. Look at football fanatics ... one of my mates twice failed his accountancy exams because his favourite team did badly ... he even missed my last party 'cause his team lost. (Considering he supports Spurs you can see how his life has been one long road of misery and dissapointment).

So ... enjoy the dance ... but keep it in perspective?:waycool:

TheTramp
17th-February-2003, 01:01 PM
You end up like Franck and Steve...And the problem with this is....?? :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I'm not addicted. I could give it up any time. And, I'm not dancing tonight!!

Steve

Heather
17th-February-2003, 10:19 PM
:wink: Not dancing tonight Steve ??? I know there's a Full Moon, but I didn't realise it was a Blue one!!!!!:wink:
I'm willing to bet you'll be on the Forum for most of the night!!!(Seeing as that is your other 'addiction' - or maybe they form two parts of one and the same thing!!!!)
Fellow addict,
Heather,

TheTramp
17th-February-2003, 10:32 PM
Ummm. Not dancing tonight. After the weekend, I have enough trouble walking, let alone dancing. Still, that's what painkillers are for. Wonderful things!!

Haven't been on the Forum hardly at all. Been 'talking' to DS and Sheena though. And eating curry. And listening to the new CD I just got (Acme Swing).

And I'm gonna have an early night. Ready for dancing tomorrow (and Wednesday, and Thursday, and Friday, and Saturday, and Sunday) :D

Steve

John S
18th-February-2003, 01:16 AM
I've even caught myself in the car twiddling my fingers and drawing small circles in the air to represent various parts of moves and returns...

Aahh - that explains it - I had thought the guy in the car behind me was upset after I overtook him tonight on the A90, but it was only Gadget practicing his moves.:cheers:

Gadget
18th-February-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by John S
Aahh - that explains it - I had thought the guy in the car behind me was upset after I overtook him tonight on the A90, but it was only Gadget practicing his moves.:cheers: Overtook on the M90 !? Couldn't have been me. {Unless you drive a Merc at over 90...I seem to recall letting one past :rolleyes:}

Bill
10th-July-2003, 04:09 PM
I was an addict but I'm all right now :D

A while ago I'd have grabbed the chance to dance every night if I could but now.........as Gus suggets, I'm trying to keep a balance so that I can have a night to do domestic things, go to the cinema ( at least once a week) and read/listen to music etc...... So I usually dance twice a week and sometimes three times.

Think I lost my enthusiasm for a while and went though a real trough so have not missed it as much as I thought but Adam's workshop gave me some renewed enthusiasm.

It doesn't help of course that two of the women I dance best with are not in Aberdeen :sad:

However, what is really good is the number of really good female dancers coming though in Aberdeen. Reckon they're catching up with the high standard in Dundee and Edinburgh !

And the other 'kick' is from watching dancers improve over time.... saw Mel and James in Perth practicing and they were simply superb.

Looking forward to more dancing when I do my next 'mini' English dance tour. :D :cheers:

LilyB
11th-July-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Bill
........ Looking forward to more dancing when I do my next 'mini' English dance tour. :D :cheers:

And when might that be? ;) :D

LilyB

Bill
11th-July-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by LilyB
And when might that be? ;) :D

LilyB

Will be heading to Manchester probably around the 3/4 August for most of a week and then maybe have time to go further south later in August.

Would be great to meet up with you and David again........and especially I can have the pleasure of a dance :na: :D ....... Hope you're having a good summer.

Sheepman
11th-July-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Heather
:D :D You don't take into account how many times in the week a person would LIKE to go dancing but for reasons outwith their control, it is simply NOT POSSIBLE!!!!
Too true, and for some of us, the body can't take all that punishment! I'm normally a 2 to 3 times a week man, but currently 4 to 5 with a competition looming.

I feel a better measure of the addiction would be over a dance w/e or hol (Camber/Beach Boogie/Rock Bottoms) (all events we can't "talk" about in London) How many nights do you stay on the dance floor till the DJ stops (i.e. normally 5 to 6 am.)
1 night
2 nights
every night
anyone care to start a new poll? Obviously this excludes all those poor deprived people who've never been on one/all of these?

Originally posted by Bill
Think I lost my enthusiasm for a while and went though a real trough so have not missed it as much as I thought but Adam's workshop gave me some renewed enthusiasm.

Doesn't this happen to all of us? To think, I used to give it up completely for the summer (and still do for skiing.)
Greg

Aleks
11th-July-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Jayne

Exactly what I would have said myself.

Mary
14th-July-2003, 10:41 AM
So what night a week is the Cerocaholics Anonymous meeting? (hmmmmm)(wanted to put little smiley here!)

M

Graham
14th-July-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Mary
So what night a week is the Cerocaholics Anonymous meeting? (hmmmmm)(wanted to put little smiley here!)

M Franck, is there really no way to configure the software to allow vb code insertion at the cursor instead of at the EOM?

Chicklet
14th-July-2003, 11:17 AM
here here, I don't post nearly as much as I should because of frustration at this issue.

PeterL
14th-July-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Graham
Franck, is there really no way to configure the software to allow vb code insertion at the cursor instead of at the EOM?

Having coded these sort of editors myself, I would like to point out that that would not be as easy as it sounds. All you have to do to insert a smilie whereever you want is insert it and then copy the inserted text to wherever you want.:)

Franck
14th-July-2003, 11:51 AM
Franck, is there really no way to configure the software to allow vb code insertion at the cursor instead of at the EOM? Sorry Graham, there is no 'obvious' way for me to change that frustrating aspect of the posting form.

The best way for everyone, is to learn the text form of all the smilies, and type them in as they type their messages instead of clicking on the smillie icon, it is much quicker and efficient that way... ie, type :nice (with an extra colon at the end) and a big smile will appear instead :nice:

If you don't know the text for your favourite smillie, you can click on them to see them appear. I hope this helps :wink:

Franck.

Graham
14th-July-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by PeterL
Having coded these sort of editors myself, I would like to point out that that would not be as easy as it sounds. I can understand that, but the software used by the Ceroc London forum *washes mouth out* :wink: does actually do this, so I was just thinking that this software might have had it too as a configurable option. Oh, well. Never mind. Doesn't personally affect me anyhow as I type in smilies, although it would be nice if they ALL had : at the end: :sorry and :reallymad don't.

Dreadful Scathe
14th-July-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Chicklet
here here, I don't post nearly as much as I should because of frustration at this issue.

err...yeah right :)

Mary
14th-July-2003, 12:29 PM
OK. Here goes. :grin: :grin:

Yesssssssss. Thanks Franck.:kiss: :kiss:

M

Franck
14th-July-2003, 12:56 PM
although it would be nice if they ALL had : at the end: :sorry and :reallymad don't. That, I can sort :D

I have now updated both :blush: ( now blush between colons ) and :angry: (now angry between colons)

Franck.

P.S. The older typing is still available as removing it, changed all the previous posts made using it.

Graham
14th-July-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Franck
P.S. The older typing is still available as removing it, changed all the previous posts made using it. Thanks Franck! So you couldn't be bothered taking the forum offline and doing a global search and replace? :wink: :rofl:

Chicklet
14th-July-2003, 01:38 PM
taking the forum offline :eek: :eek: :eek:
tell me this can never actually happen:tears: :tears:

Graham
14th-July-2003, 01:40 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:
tell me this can never actually happen:tears: :tears: I'm afraid so, Chickie - what's more, he's going to have to do it again quite soon :what: :what: :really: :really: Maybe you can persuade him to do it while you're on holiday :grin:

TheTramp
14th-July-2003, 03:30 PM
here here, I don't post nearly as much as I should because of frustration at this issue. So, I guess that we should all be grateful that this issue is in place, and should Franck ever find a way round it, beg him not to implement it :D

I think I've found somewhere to live now, so will soon be back online full time. Just wanted to give you all something to look forward to :na:

Steve

Graham
14th-July-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
I think I've found somewhere to live now, so will soon be back online full time. Just wanted to give you all something to look forward to :na: :confused: :confused: And what was the thing to look forward to? :confused:

Andy McGregor
19th-July-2003, 05:53 PM
:confused: :confused: And what was the thing to look forward to? :confused:

For us guys who live hundreds of miles south of Aberdeen we look forward to not having to witness the Tramp eating :devil:

Daphne
7th-October-2003, 08:59 PM
I'm talking about dancing.......

Tazmanian Devil
7th-October-2003, 11:57 PM
I try to dance 4-5 times a week depending on what shifts I get given at work. Never less than 3 times a week though. Always at Charlton on wednesday and sunday, Greenwich on tuesday as I either book an early or day off for these days. I try to go to Welling on monday and bromley on thursday but that doesn't always work out. :kiss: :hug:

Boomer
9th-October-2003, 11:06 AM
Hmmmm, I think it's beginning to happen:what: Even though I only had my handful or so of dances it was the first time I actually really relaxed, and enjoyed what I was doing as a dance , and not just as a learning experience etc. A big thank you to Angela, who simply likes to dance and have a giggle and wasn't/isn't interested in looking the biz:hug: :cheers:

Now, I can't bloody wait for tonights class, 2 beers and a bit of confidence to get me on the dancefloor.

P.S. Oh, the reason for the new buzz is that, again, for the first time more than the step across and arm-jive came unbidden to my mind as moves to do . Oh what a lovely morning:cheers: :grin: :grin: and just to make sure :grin: :grin:

Jon L
9th-October-2003, 08:30 PM
:) First to all members greetings from Jon L the man who dances anywhere from London to the South Coast.

To all ex ceroc London members - sorry I have been away for a while.

I dance 3 - 4 times a week on average. The weekend I am often out Fridays and Saturdays. During the week Monday and Wednesday.

I try to keep three nights at least when I am not out, these are usually Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday

Chris
14th-October-2003, 01:05 PM
I find this poll subjective and difficult to answer - though it meant something when I first started coming. I could still now answer 'yes' to every question - given the enthusiasm I attend any night south of the border when I get the chance (!) I'd say I'm still addicted, though going from three nights+ a week to zilch back home in Scotland is an easy way to get less obsessive about it. :wink: I'm addicted to it when I feel comfortable, which would go for most people, and love some of the venues others have found a tad unfriendly, but haven't been ceroccing for nearly nine months in Scotland and only briefly to one 'non-ceroc' jive event. Doesn't mean I don't think about it and all the people there practically daily - I hope it continues to flourish and you raise lots of money for charity on Saturday!! Being addicted is great, but being a nice person is more important.

thewacko
14th-October-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Heather
:wink:
I'm willing to bet you'll be on the Forum for most of the night!!!(Seeing as that is your other 'addiction' - or maybe they form two parts of one and the same thing!!!!)
Fellow addict,
Heather,

:wink:
I'addicted freely admit it and when i'm not dancing i seem to be on this bloomin web site - :tears: maybe they do form two parts of one!:what:

I am also with other members where i have to do menial things like work and sleep instead of going to ceroc.:wink:

baldrick
30th-September-2004, 08:45 AM
Addiction has many forms, and symptoms,. I may not dance as much as some, but I've just ordered my first dance trainers and will be going dance clothes shopping in the comming week. This is a major change of habbits. I'm hooked :D :clap:

Gojive
30th-September-2004, 10:11 AM
...will be going dance clothes shopping in the comming week. This is a major change of habbits. I'm hooked :D :clap:

Real addicts go shopping in their dance clothes! :yum:

Andy McGregor
30th-September-2004, 10:35 AM
and will be going dance clothes shopping in the comming week. This is a major change of habbits. I'm hooked :D :clap:

This isn't enough. You should be dance clothes shopping every week. I've shopped for dance clothes so much I've got some glittery tops I haven't even worn yet, and a couple of pairs of braces and 3 jackets with the label still on - and a wig, suspender-belt, some hold-ups, a garter, glittery tights, spiked collar, strappy top, ... :waycool:

MartinHarper
30th-September-2004, 11:10 AM
spiked collar

Doesn't that fall into the category of "dangerous jewelry" that one should remove prior to dancing? Eg Combs, Neck Breaks, etc...

Andy McGregor
30th-September-2004, 03:18 PM
Doesn't that fall into the category of "dangerous jewelry" that one should remove prior to dancing? Eg Combs, Neck Breaks, etc...

It's made out of squashy plastic so is probably only dangerous if swallowed :sick:

fletch
28th-May-2006, 06:46 PM
This isn't enough. You should be dance clothes shopping every week. I've shopped for dance clothes so much I've got some glittery tops I haven't even worn yet, and a couple of pairs of braces and 3 jackets with the label still on - and a wig, suspender-belt, some hold-ups, a garter, glittery tights, spiked collar, strappy top, ... :waycool:
ooooo I need to have a rummage in your draws:D

Gadget
31st-May-2006, 08:11 PM
Just thought I would post something to stop Fletch rummaging in Andy's draws. :whistle:

drathzel
1st-June-2006, 11:20 AM
What if you dance less than you want to dance? I dance twice a week but i would happily dance 5 or more:D

Twirly
1st-June-2006, 12:21 PM
:yeah:

I'm a twice a week girl mostly, but would probably do more if my feet would let me! But they complain, bitterly...

Donna
1st-June-2006, 01:51 PM
I dance mon,(linedancing) tues,(jive) wed, (when I demo) thurs, (at my mums class) and anything that is on Friday or Sat night. so sometimes 5 or 6 xs a week. Sad or what?! :rofl:

Frankie_4711
2nd-June-2006, 05:50 PM
What if you dance less than you want to dance? I dance twice a week but i would happily dance 5 or more:D

Same here - mostly I do twice a week, occasionally three times, this week 5 days, as I went to 3 classes plus I'm helping out at two weekend workshops! But this is the first time I've done that much in one week - my previous record was 2 classes and 2 busks.

Twirly
13th-June-2006, 10:23 AM
Do the conditions you dance in have any bearing on the degree of your addiction? If so, I must've won my Ceroc wings last night at Clapham.

The journey there was hell (it felt cool in the 30 degree heat when I got OFF the train!), and I think the humidity must've been around 99% in the Grand. I've never before "glowed" in the beginners class :blush: The dancefloor was so sticky no-one could spin at the start - but with a generous helping of bodily fluids from everyone, it was like an ice-rink by the end of the evening!

The upside was I think that the heat put off all but the most dedicated of dancers so despite the sauna-like conditions I still had a great time, both dancing and watching. :nice:

Wendy
13th-June-2006, 03:56 PM
You possibly don't realise you are an addict till you have to stop. It's almost a year since I haven't danced regularly and after dancing at Southport I realise how much I miss it. I went dancing in France when I came home and it was pretty depressing. Girls don't ask people to dance for a start :eek:. They sit around waiting to be asked and then when they do dance they don't seem to sweat :sick: So I asked and I sweated and probably stood out like a sore thumb.

I'm off to try again tonight though.

Wx

David Franklin
15th-June-2006, 08:29 AM
Talking about addicts - how does spending $13m on dance lessons sound? :eek:

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,108302,00.html

I'm frankly astounded - OK, it was for 8 years of lessons. But even at 8 hours of lessons a day, 365 days per year, that's still more than $500 per hour!

Twirly
15th-June-2006, 09:22 AM
The words "more money than sense" spring to mind. I also wonder how, being head of HSBC's private banking arm, she had the time to do 6 lessons a day? Was each one 5 minutes long?!

Wendy
15th-June-2006, 05:39 PM
I am an addict. My fix at Southport wasn't enough so now I'm crabby depressed and impossible to live with. What do you mean I've always been like that :innocent: :flower: :innocent:

So I danced to songs that had "boogie" in EVERY SINGLE one Tuesday night :tears: :tears: :tears: Even Murder on the Dancefloor would be appealing these days :eek:

Wx

Beowulf
15th-June-2006, 06:42 PM
I'm (cough) not an addict. I just (sniff) use it for recreational use. I can stop when ever I want (fidget). I just don't want to stop just yet.. out of choice (cough fidget fidget sniff) I only do it once a week but I think about it a lot. I fi had the time, the money and more importantly... THE ENERGY I would go much more often.

Been dancing 2 weeks (this time round) and I have the beginners DVD , watched it through 3 times , tend to dance with the vacuum when I'm tidying and If I hear a particularly "ceroc-y" track on the radio or my MP3 player I'm thinking of moves in my head.

I'm hooked.. (sniff snort Fidget) but I don't have a problem I can't control (fidget snort sniff)

Twirly
16th-June-2006, 09:43 AM
tend to dance with the vacuum

How are it's following skills?! :na: :rofl:

ducasi
16th-June-2006, 03:52 PM
How are it's following skills?! :na: :rofl:
I bet it sucks!

:eek:

Beowulf
16th-June-2006, 05:33 PM
drat beat me to it :)

:rofl:

Whitebeard
16th-June-2006, 10:47 PM
...... tend to dance with the vacuum ......

Does it "beat as it sweeps as it cleans ?"

Beowulf
16th-June-2006, 11:18 PM
No .. but as it's cyclonic it does like doing an awful lot of spins...

Whitebeard
16th-June-2006, 11:40 PM
No .. but as it's cyclonic it does like doing an awful lot of spins...

Ahh, one of those plasticy things now made in China (like everything else it seems these days). I inherited a Kirby which is built like a tank and costs the Earth, but will last forever. It has a sort of self propelling mechanism, so is a little like those larger majestic ladies who are nevertheless divine to dance with.

Dazzler
22nd-August-2006, 08:04 PM
Ok i i have had to nominate 2 or so a week but when you take into consideration i dance in Inverness (which is a fab class by the way) there is only one night a week.... BUT ...... i make every attempt possible to travel for 3 hours on a sat after work to the central belt for a venue and the tea-dance if there is one on the sunday....I would say that constitutes as a Ceroc Junkie....wouldn't you? :whistle:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: