PDA

View Full Version : ghedlp I ghave spilt coffee on my keyboared

under par
19th-January-2006, 12:48 PM
Do I need a nedw kedyboared ijfv szpijlt cofvfveded makedsz your ltededrsz sztijck toghedtghedr
]
I have spilt coffee on keyboared and it types like above,:blush: will it get better when dry or do I need a new keyboard?

Msfab
19th-January-2006, 12:50 PM
Do I need a nedw kedyboared ijfv szpijlt cofvfveded makedsz your ltededrsz sztijck toghedtghedr
]
I have spilt coffee on keyboared and it types like above,:blush: will it get better when dry or do I need a new keyboard?

Are you bored UP?:rolleyes:

under par
19th-January-2006, 12:52 PM
Are you bored UP?:rolleyes:
]
]No read it,. I neeed help,.:flower:

El Salsero Gringo
19th-January-2006, 12:54 PM
Was it proper fresh-ground coffee, made from finest beans grown on the foothills of the Blue Mountain, washed with purest rainwater and picked by the hand only of virgins, or was it "instant"?

under par
19th-January-2006, 12:55 PM
Was it proper fresh-ground coffee, made from finest beans grown on the foothills of the Blue Mountain, washed with purest rainwater and picked by the hand only of virgins, or was it "instant"?
]
]ijnsztant

ducasi
19th-January-2006, 12:59 PM
Make sure as much of the coffee is out as possible – shake it upside-down, etc... Then let it dry in a warm place at least over-night. Stand it up on one of it's sides to help it...

If it is still not working, I'm told a dish-washer might help (on a low/warm/gentle setting? – I'm not familiar with their operation.) Make sure after the dish-washer treatment that it is completely dry before trying to use it – again, leave it to dry at least over-night.

If it still doesn't work, then you can get a new keyboard for about a tenner.

El Salsero Gringo
19th-January-2006, 01:00 PM
]
]ijnsztantShame.

under par
19th-January-2006, 01:00 PM
Make sure as much of the coffee is out as possible – shake it upside-down, etc... Then let it dry in a warm place at least over-night. Stand it up on one of it's sides to help it...

If it is still not working, I'm told a dish-washer might help (on a low/warm/gentle setting? – I'm not familiar with their operation.) Make sure after the dish-washer treatment that it is completely dry before trying to use it – again, leave it to dry at least over-night.

If it still doesn't work, then you can get a new keyboard for about a tenner.

]Tghankyou fvormyour aszszijsztanced,.:hug:

ChrisA
19th-January-2006, 01:27 PM
]Tghankyou fvormyour aszszijsztanced,.:hug:
When this happened to me some years ago, I ran it under the tap to wash the coffee out, then left it to dry for a couple of days in the airing cupboard.

When I plugged it back in, it still didn't work, so I took it apart and freed up the keys that were still stuck.

It was fine... but they were much more expensive in those days - not sure I could be bothered to go through all that faff now.

philsmove
19th-January-2006, 01:46 PM
Yes you need a new keyboard

Buy a plant pot drip tray at the same time and put you coffee cup in it :whistle:

http://uk.insight.com/apps/nbs/index.php?C=106&S=1040

under par
19th-January-2006, 01:52 PM
so i want to buy new kedyboared for my PC do all kedyboareds work on all PCs or are they variable,.

El Salsero Gringo
19th-January-2006, 02:06 PM
Go to PC world, with the old keyboard (or cut the connector off the end of the cord and just take that. Which will have the advantage of preventing anyone else trying to use your dead keyboard by mistake.)

Unless you have a PC that's >5 years old, there are only regular (round connector) keyboards and USB (flat rectangular connector) keyboards.

McJester
19th-January-2006, 02:08 PM
so i want to buy new kedyboared for my PC do all kedyboareds work on all PCs or are they variable,.

there are 2 types of keyboard

PS2 - has a round end
USB - has a rectangle end

both easily aquired, plus most systems these days work with a USB one.

Apart from that they virtually all work with any system

:hug:
McJ

WittyBird
19th-January-2006, 02:09 PM
Zip off to PC World you will get one for less than £20

under par
19th-January-2006, 02:16 PM
tghankyou evedryone fvor your ghedlp:flower:

Dreadful Scathe
19th-January-2006, 02:20 PM
Zip off to PC World you will get one for less than £20

NOOOO! You can get an excellent fancy black and silver keyboard with extra buttons for a fiver or a bog standard one for less than a pound.
In fact £20 will get you fancy silver shiny keyboard with a blue backlit behind every key.

All from ebuyer.co.uk - unsurprisingly :)

PCworld? For peripherals? with my reputation?

El Salsero Gringo
19th-January-2006, 02:23 PM
NOOOO! You can get an excellent fancy black and silver keyboard with extra buttons for a fiver or a bog standard one for less than a pound.
In fact £20 will get you fancy silver shiny keyboard with a blue backlit behind every key.

PCworld? For peripherals? with my reputation?Depends on how much you value the time until EBuyer (or whoever) deliver -during which you can't use your PC properly because you don't have a functioning keyboard.

And, if you go to PCWorld (or somewhere similar) you get to choose one where you like the feel of the keys, which is where the "three-for-a-paaand" ones don't measure up.

WittyBird
19th-January-2006, 02:24 PM

PCworld? For peripherals? with my reputation?
I was thinking that it was an emergency and £20 was just a round number, and there is a PC World within a few miles of everyone, that's all.

Dreadful Scathe
19th-January-2006, 02:25 PM
a fair comment from furry ears

a better bet if you must have a quick grope before purchase then is MAPLIN they usually have them out on display

El Salsero Gringo
19th-January-2006, 02:29 PM
Am I right in thinking that if you have only USB keyboard that it might be hard to access anything before windows starts up (like the BIOS settings, or heaven forbid, if you ever have to boot DOS for any reason) or do they have that sussed now with built-in USB drivers in the ROM?

WittyBird
19th-January-2006, 02:31 PM
If using XP it will automatically detect the new keyboard surely?

El Salsero Gringo
19th-January-2006, 03:57 PM
If using XP it will automatically detect the new keyboard surely?the BIOS settings are before XP loads, and DOS is instead of XP. You might not ever need to use DOS, but someday you'll probably need to change your bios settings.

Do modern BIOS's never give that famous error, "keyboard missing, press F9 to continue" any more?

Dreadful Scathe
19th-January-2006, 04:11 PM
Most motherboards ive used seem ok with usb keyboards on boot. In fact most can boot from a USB device too.
Handy for securing your computer, boot from USB stick and just have files but no OS on the internal HD.

Not that I'd do that - Id lose the USB stick no doubt :(

under par
19th-January-2006, 05:39 PM
Well I'm back from the PC World sale and I have a brand new keyboard to boot .......... only £12.99... bargain? Well I needed to get it because the old one was slowly seizing up.:rofl:

thankyou to all of you for putting up with my hjkhd' h;jop'jdp earlier on.
:clap: :clap: :cheers:

WittyBird
19th-January-2006, 05:40 PM
:clap: :clap: :cheers:

Glad you got it sorted :grin:

Stuart
19th-January-2006, 05:43 PM
I did this at work once and was told it was possible to dry them out if you hadn't put sugar in your tea/coffee. Apparently, or so the IT guy said, the heat generated causes the sugar to solidify on the contacts.

McJester
19th-January-2006, 06:12 PM
Am I right in thinking that if you have only USB keyboard that it might be hard to access anything before windows starts up (like the BIOS settings, or heaven forbid, if you ever have to boot DOS for any reason) or do they have that sussed now with built-in USB drivers in the ROM?

Most modern pc's ( those less than 3 years old ) shouldn't have any problems, those older are a little more hit and miss, mainly depends on who made the mother board.

:hug:
McJ

killingtime
20th-January-2006, 02:16 PM

I'm quite certain most modern PCs know of USB keyboards on their own USB ports without an issue (if you are using a weird external hub they might have issue). Certainly mine does. Probably maps that as a device for legacy OSs like DOS. I haven't been into DOS for a long time though.

there are 2 types of keyboard

PS2 - has a round end
USB - has a rectangle end

Don't forget Bluetooth! Alright; forget Bluetooth then.

killingtime
20th-January-2006, 02:19 PM
Hey look another page I didn't notice :blush:.

killingtime
20th-January-2006, 02:25 PM
Do modern BIOS's never give that famous error, "keyboard missing, press F9 to continue" any more?

My BIOS will talk to me if it has an error. I can even customize the audio file so no one else will ever be fix my PC again "anyone know what an 'out of cheese' error means?".

What ever happened to the good ol' days of counting beeps and wondering whether it was a short or long beep?

I found it rather amusing. It's like you had a cold; just typing. Not that I find colds particularly amusing.

philsmove
20th-January-2006, 03:44 PM
My BIOS will talk to me if it has an error. .

There is a simple fix for this

Turn the speaker off

Alternatively lay off the bake beans and brussel sprouts