PDA

View Full Version : Hypnotised While Dancing?

tomboh
19th-January-2006, 12:59 AM
I've just had a very strange experience: I think I ended up momentarily hypnotised while dancing this evening.

I don't mean stage hypnotism, where people do ridiculous things on command, but the relaxed, detached state of hypnotism.

First, some background: as a teenager, a friend had a book about hypnotism and a few of us tried a practical section that involved reading some relaxing words. My friend had a very soothing, friendly voice and I found myself comforted by what he read. When another friend, who this had no effect on, got a fit of the giggles I found myself suddenly aware of my surroudings without realising what had happened or how long I had switched off for. My friends told me I couldn't have been hypnotised for more than ten seconds, but I lost any concept of time.

So, tonight I was dancing to a slow tune with someone I dance with regularly. It was towards the end of the evening and we both felt tired, so we danced simple moves slowly. I led the moves without thinking too hard, but enjoyed the calmness and simplicity.

I remember leading a yoyo, bringing my right hand up to my left shoulder. After that, I don't know what happend, but I next remember the end of the yoyo move. My partner apologised, "Sorry, I was leading" as I tried to figure out what to do next. Knowing the move, my lack of awareness can only have lasted a few seconds, but recovering really startled me.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I haven't danced for very long, so I wonder how common it is. Although I had a wonderful dance, losing track of absolutely everything freaked me out a little.

I guess if nobody replies, then I've just completely lost the plot..

JonD
19th-January-2006, 01:44 AM
I can't say that I've ever "drifted off" and lost all awareness of my partner and the music. I have had some wonderful dances where I've been in a kind of trance like state where I have been aware of nothing but my partner and the music - the movement just seems to flow, there's no conscious lead and follow; you just seem in perfect harmony. Bliss! But it has only happened to me in the most perfect circumstances of connection, music and on an almost empty floor (5.15am, Rock Bottoms, Torquay, January 2005 springs to mind - JB on the decks; me feeling tired but elated after a brilliant night; a fantastic follower who was a complete stranger. Pure magic).

As you say, it sounds like you were "out" for just a second or two. It must have been a really strange feeling to wake up having missed the middle of the move! It sounds kind of fun - although I wouldn't have wanted to do it at Taunton tonight as there would probably have been an ugly collision.

Feelingpink
19th-January-2006, 10:42 AM
There's one particular guy with whom I go into a hypnotic trance when we dance blues. Especially after a couple of tracks, I need to go and lean against a wall - I would be useless at dancing with anyone else. It's delicious. When we're dancing, I'm just aware of his warmth and the fact that he is male, but it's not sexual - just fabulously relaxed and happy. It's great that it appears that leaders can get into the same state as well.

This is different from "dreamstate" following, where I just go with a lead without thinking. I'm now so used to doing this that when I was leading some beginner moves in a lesson last week I had to fight the urge to totally relax into the leading, or else I would have drifted off into follow mode, rather than giving my partner a lead.

johnthehappyguy
19th-January-2006, 02:09 PM
There is a girl I often dance with who is a Clinical Hypnotherapist.:eek:

AFAIK she has never used her powers on the dancefloor.:what:

Johnthehappyguy:nice: