PDA

View Full Version : Travelling all over the floor

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
19th-January-2006, 12:55 AM
When I was dancing tonight I noticed that when I dance I often feel like I 'travel' too much when i'm being lead into a move. I'll try to explain :rolleyes: say a guy leads from a return into a yo-yo; I sometimes feel like i'm walking, or dancing too far in the direction i'm being lead, kind of like i'm gonna travel right past him. I can't think of a better move to use as an example. But I don't know if what I am doing is wrong, or if I am just thinking too much, maybe i'm not doing it wrong. Help! :tears: I've noticed that it doesn't happen with ALL guys, but still got me thinking when it did happen.

Ash x

Gadget
19th-January-2006, 01:15 AM
Take smaller steps. :flower:
I think that you may find that those folk you feel you are 'traveling' a lot with are the ones who don't step in with a return and move very little from the spot.

The yo-yo is a good example because most ladies take an additional step behind for the 'fold out' bit so that they pivot on the corrrect foot. And the lead is told to just transfer weight to the right.
If there is no step in with the preceeding move (like the return) then you are taking a step to come in, a step on the fold and a step on the pivot. While you may be taking the same steps with a more mobile dancer, they will be closer to you for the whole thing and moving with you.

{BTW, I would step back with the left during a yo-yo to match the follower's travel, but it's not the taught way}

Trousers
19th-January-2006, 04:37 PM
When I was dancing tonight I noticed that when I dance I often feel like I 'travel' too much when i'm being lead into a move. I'll try to explain :rolleyes: say a guy leads from a return into a yo-yo; I sometimes feel like i'm walking, or dancing too far in the direction i'm being lead, kind of like i'm gonna travel right past him. I can't think of a better move to use as an example. But I don't know if what I am doing is wrong, or if I am just thinking too much, maybe i'm not doing it wrong. Help! :tears: I've noticed that it doesn't happen with ALL guys, but still got me thinking when it did happen.

Ash x
I quite like walking my partner out of moves to give the dance some width, which dependent on the music may make a more pleasing image (well i hope at least).

As to travelling past in moves like the YoYo as you describe - there are followers (oooh PC alert) that do not perform the 'step in side to side' part of the YoYo, First move, Neck break etc and you find them already turned out a whole beat t'wurly!
Could this be your problem?

I have yet to find a way through my lead, bar subtle violence, to inhibit this early turn. I'm a reasonable lead and I know I can lead the First move by now. So I resort to telling the follower not to turn out so early. They can get the hump if they want or they can do the move properly.

This does in my experience tend toward a begginner bad habit.

tsh
19th-January-2006, 04:49 PM
I have yet to find a way through my lead, bar subtle violence, to inhibit this early turn. I'm a reasonable lead and I know I can lead the First move by now. So I resort to telling the follower not to turn out so early. They can get the hump if they want or they can do the move properly.

I'm not sure how effective it is, but I have tried experimenting with delaying my lead of the turn out, so she comes in and twists out, then I lead her out slightly further.... and back. I feel that what I'm trying to lead here is more of a sweeping turn than the snap-snap which the lady is interpreting for herself.

Sean

David Bailey
19th-January-2006, 05:18 PM
When I was dancing tonight I noticed that when I dance I often feel like I 'travel' too much when i'm being lead into a move. I'll try to explain :rolleyes: say a guy leads from a return into a yo-yo; I sometimes feel like i'm walking, or dancing too far in the direction i'm being lead, kind of like i'm gonna travel right past him.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with travelling per se, assuming you have the space and the floorcraft to do it safely.

But I'm with Gadget* - if you're a relative beginner, it's always best to take small steps to give you more control. And you need to be clear about when you're supposed to be doing a return on the spot and a travelling return. If you feel off-balance after a return, that could be an indication that you're travelling a bit too much.

Of course, that's largely up to the leader, so it's possible that you're doing everything right, but some leaders are taking you into a return and some into a travelling return.

*I was told last night that I do indeed dance like Gadget, as previously hypothesized. Should I feel :waycool: or :eek: ?

LMC
19th-January-2006, 05:24 PM
Hi Ash

Smaller steps is good advice - if the guy is taking large steps then I try to step really really small! Sometimes the travelling is down to the force of the lead - if s/he is really slinging you around then try adapting the tension between you - I can't really explain, it might be easier for one of the forum resident experts, but I would recommend asking proper advice from someone locally :)

ducasi
19th-January-2006, 05:56 PM
Hi Ash,

I don't think you've got a big problem here – at least the last couple of dances I've had with you, I didn't notice any particular travelling issue with you.

There's a common problem of travelling during a return – you don't suffer from this. (This is what I thought you were worried about, and so I was paying attention to this. :))

Stepping in too far in moves like a yo-yo, I don't think is a very common problem, but as some people have already said, trying to take smaller steps might make a difference...

Probably more common are ladies who anticipate the step in and so when they are then actually led may end up going too far. My favourite favourite dancers always wait for a lead.

Gadget
20th-January-2006, 12:24 AM
I have yet to find a way through my lead, bar subtle violence, to inhibit this early turn.Lead a variation that starts like that first move bit. In fact lead every variation you can think on that starts left to right, drawing the follower into your right side. (See below)

To prevent the 'turn out', don't lead into the bit before it {bad wording, but bear with me...} When leading the first bit, keep the left hand quite low, take a slight step back while the lead is pulling the follower forward and raise it quite late (but sharper) to the shoulder. You can actually use this as a 'tease' move to lead the follower to take a couple of steps forward before stopping with the upper body coming forward slightly to meet the left hand at your left shoulder and catching the follower's left hip with your right hand.

Variations:
- Slide out. Push laterally with the left hand and take a side step left, right hand ending up catching follower's right. Make sure the right hand either comes up to shoulder height or trails the midriff before coming up; anywhere in-between may end up with follower's right hand leaving imprint on lead's left cheek. On the side-step, what normally has to happen is that the lead takes a small step forward and rotates so that both partners line-up - it can be easier to actually lead it like this with a definite step forwards as you slide.

- Rotate into swizzle. The idea is to keep the follower on the same spot and walk round as you pivot them. Raise the left hand out and over their head as you move round the follower, keeping them in position with the right hand. (Right hand rotates up and over to have the thumb pointing down and palm resting on the follower's right hip.) Left hand extends out and you are in the swizzle position.
Another version of the same move is to use the right hand to push the follower back where they came from and start them turning as you step in front, raising the left hand, then extend to the left as per swizzle.

- Lady's promenade into first move. {Just discovered this one recently - I like it :cool:} Lift the left hand over your head and drop it again so that the follower's right arm is over the back of your shoulders. Remove the right hand and lead the follower all the way round you until they are back where they started. I normally finish with a "first-move follow", but you can do any other variation.

- Man's straight-jacket Tangley move; Lead turns towards follower, raising the left arm between partners (keeping right on follower's outer hip). Lead continues turning as they step in front of the follower, presenting their back to them and dropping the left hand over the head and right shoulder to rest on right hip. (Keep the left elbow tucked in as much as possible and you need to get quite close to the follower.)
I normally release and step forward, offering both behind to finish as a catapult.

- Arm jive Simply rotate 180ยบ taking the left hand from shoulder down to lady's outer hip. Trick to this is initially using the right hand to rotate the follower, then collecting the follower's left hand with it. Pulling back with the left hand to your left hip should be enough of a hint to go into the second phase of the arm-jive if you don't get any connection to lead with the right hand in time.

- Basket Involves quite tricky timing and leading: Initially you want to keep your hand positions where they are and the follower moving forward as you start moving round behind your partner. As you do this, the lead from the left hand becomes negligible while it's taken over the follower's head. The right hand has to keep the follower in position and move to their right hip. Finish stepping round the follower so they are in to your right side, take the lead back with the left hand while lowering to encourage the follower to step back. Follower will probably place their hand over your right.

These are the more "common" moves I use to disrupt an anticipated first move :devil: Followers soon discover if they are anticipating when they dance with me :whistle:

TheTramp
20th-January-2006, 10:33 AM
*I was told last night that I do indeed dance like Gadget, as previously hypothesized. Should I feel :waycool: or :eek: ?

Maybe :sick: or :tears: ??

:whistle:

cheeks
20th-January-2006, 10:57 AM

I personally think you should feel :waycool: as all my dances with Gadget can be described as :yum: /:drool: and a bit :devil: ish...............:clap:

Gadget
20th-January-2006, 01:58 PM
*I was told last night that I do indeed dance like Gadget, as previously hypothesized. Should I feel :waycool: or :eek: ?:eek:, definetly :eek:... with perhaps :tears: or :sick: depending on what goes wrong.

The bit I'm flattered about {:blush:} is that someone thought of me as a comparison :flower:

Cheeks... :flower::hug::blush::confused: what are you after?? It takes two you know - you can't have a :drool::yum::devil: dance without a :drool::yum::devil: partner.......:wink:

{smilie overload :what:}

{BTW the Mans Straight-jacket isn't a straight-jacket - it's a mans basket/wrap infront}

David Bailey
20th-January-2006, 02:11 PM
The bit I'm flattered about {:blush:} is that someone thought of me as a comparison :flower:
I'm not sure if it was a flattering comparison or not though :devil:

LMC
20th-January-2006, 04:57 PM
*smacks David*

It was intended to be flattering, but I hope Gadget won't be insulted :innocent:

*mental note to self: must be nice to DJ in future so he will let me practise tango with him*

*applies TTD stamp to thread*

cheeks
20th-January-2006, 05:01 PM
Cheeks... :flower::hug::blush::confused: what are you after?? It takes two you know - you can't have a :drool::yum::devil: dance without a :drool::yum::devil: partner.......:wink:

{smilie overload :what:}

More dances as always babe....x:flower:

cheeks
20th-January-2006, 05:07 PM
Also DJ I am looking forward to meeting you and having many dances real soon :drool:

Hugs
Pauline
x

Andreas
20th-January-2006, 07:17 PM
Take smaller steps. :flower:

:yeah:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
27th-January-2006, 04:02 PM
Thank you for all the advice you gave. But, after dancing on tuesday I got even more confused :confused: I danced with a woman during the first freestyle, and found that she was rapidly changing direction throughout our dance, do you guys like this? Is it just that I am only noticing this now?

LMC
27th-January-2006, 04:52 PM
Presume you were leading?

Were you getting out of her way? It's practically impossible for followers to stay in a slot (i.e. continue to travel in the same direction) if the leader is not moving to the left or right (as appropriate, depends on the move).