PDA

View Full Version : Expectations and Aspirations

Gadget
14th-February-2003, 04:08 PM
What did you expect from Ceroc when you first started, and how have those aspirations turned out (so far)?

I started Ceroc to learn how to lead a partner on the dance floor, to have an opportunity to dance as often as I could and to be able to show off/ show off to any partner I danced with. (I'll admit, if no-one else will)

I can now lead with some degree of competence, I am seldom off the dance floor and am still working on the 'show off' factor. I don't think that there is a more enjoyable way to spend an evening without the danger of reproducing.

TheTramp
14th-February-2003, 04:19 PM
I was told that I had to go :na:

Although, mainly I was hoping that I'd have a good time and meet some new people (having just moved up to London at that point).

Steve

Dreadful Scathe
14th-February-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
What did you expect from Ceroc when you first started, and how have those aspirations turned out (so far)?

I started going to Ceroc classes after a few Le Roc classes. I didnt realise at first what a big organisation Ceroc was, I thought it was just another local concern as there didnt seem to be much difference. I've always loved jumping about madly to music so it made sense to learn how to do it 'properly' and with a partner :). I actually looked for dance classes on my own but never found anything locally (except ballroom which wasnt what i had in mind), it was a friend who introduced me to Jive in Edinburgh. So my aspirations were to do 'proper' dancing - and I ended up with Jive :)

(would anyone belive me if i told you i did ballet when i was 5 :) )

Dancing Veela
14th-February-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe

Now what could we change in the team routine to make best use of those skills...........????????

Dancing Veela
14th-February-2003, 05:26 PM

I always loved to dance rock and roll and when my friend from Edinburgh told me that Ceroc was coming to Dundee I went along to the first beginners workshop - I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it. Jenni and Franck were such great teachers (well Franck I'm sure you still are - I just haven't been to one of your classes in ages :what: ).

I don't think I had any aspirations - I just wanted to have fun - well no ok I guess I wanted to be good at it........as for how those aspirations have turned out.....I do have fun !!!!!!!!

Sal
16th-February-2003, 07:10 PM
My fiance and I started ceroc because we wanted to do something a little different for the first dance at our wedding. The wedding is in 8 weeks, I'll let you know how it goes!

Boomer
24th-September-2003, 11:56 AM
My expectations were/are quite modest – simply to learn how to dance, reduce my fear of the dance-floor and have some fun. Why Ceroc? After some initial research the key was ‘No footwork involved!’ I’ve also come to like the fact that when I hit a few beats, with a suitable move I get this big lovely happy natural grin, that I cannot hide:nice: . Never been too fond of the night-club “two people dancing AT each-other, trying to outcool one-another” style of dancing. Ceroc, I salute you:cheers: :D

Aleks
24th-September-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
I started going to Ceroc classes after a few Le Roc classes. I didnt realise at first what a big organisation Ceroc was, I thought it was just another local concern as there didnt seem to be much difference. I've always loved jumping about madly to music so it made sense to learn how to do it 'properly' and with a partner :). I actually looked for dance classes on my own but never found anything locally (except ballroom which wasnt what i had in mind), it was a friend who introduced me to Jive in Edinburgh. So my aspirations were to do 'proper' dancing - and I ended up with Jive :)

I would - you still point your toes sometimes!

Millimole
17th-November-2003, 08:48 PM
My partner and I started Ceroc, firstly as a form of excersize - we are both just a little overweight:( and secondly as a way of meeting new people.
We are somewhat older than the average age here in Leicester, and being a couple sometimes feel a little left out of things - as other dancers seem to assume we only want to dance with each other (despite each of us making the effort to ask for dances).
We get the excersize, and have met some really nice people - the problem seems to be that I'm a really rubbish dancer :tears: once it comes to the intermediate lesson, but my partner seems to be able to follow almost any lead - so we've come to a bit of an impass! (Which has been part of a reason why we haven't been for a few weeks)
A further, maybe hidden agenda, was to surprise the people I work with at the Christmas works do!

ChrisA
18th-November-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Millimole
- the problem seems to be that I'm a really rubbish dancer :tears: once it comes to the intermediate lesson, but my partner seems to be able to follow almost any lead -
It is perfectly normal for the guys to have a harder time of it than the girls to start with... they have to:

- learn the moves
- learn how to lead them
- learn how to link them in freestyle
- take responsibility for avoiding the other dancers

... not to mention any of the finer points of musical interpretation.

Whereas the girls don't have to do any memorising at all, they just need to learn a few basics like spinning without falling over, and following without anticipating.

So don't be surprised if your lady picks it up quicker than you do to start with.

I recommend just go to four times as many lessons as she does for the first six months... :D

Chris

bigdjiver
18th-November-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Millimole
We are somewhat older than the average age here in Leicester, and being a couple sometimes feel a little left out of things - as other dancers seem to assume we only want to dance with each other (despite each of us making the effort to ask for dances).

I am very reluctant to invite a lady to dance if she is with a guy. I suggest that the guy invites other ladies at every opportunity and so gets the practise he requires, and, hopefully, if the lady looks keen to dance, she will get invited too.

Rougeforever
23rd-January-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by bigdjiver
I am very reluctant to invite a lady to dance if she is with a guy. I suggest that the guy invites other ladies at every opportunity and so gets the practise he requires, and, hopefully, if the lady looks keen to dance, she will get invited too.

I go with my boyfriend, and am always delighted when I am asked to dance. I know it may seem offputting in some way, but it's best for us (as beginners) not to dance with each other at the moment so we don't pick up bad habits in dancing.

I get asked more often than he does - ladies - please don't forget to ask men to dance !

ChrisA
23rd-January-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Rougeforever
I get asked more often than he does - ladies - please don't forget to ask men to dance !
This is fairly typical... despite it being perfectly Ok for the gals to ask the guys to dance, it does tend to be mostly the other way round.

So tell him to get up and ask people to dance :D :D

Seriously, being a beginner, even a very new beginner, is no bar to asking people to dance.

It's just the confidence barrier in one's mind that's the problem - and it's never too early to start getting over that.

Look at this way - even if you feel foolish to start with, the upside is that you get more dancing practice. And then improvement and much more fun follow.

Keep telling yourselves it's worth that feeling foolish to start with - and everyone has been through that.

Just do it :cheers:

Chris

Bill
24th-January-2004, 12:59 AM
I started Ceroc because I saw the busk in Aberdeen and although had never been to any formal dance classes I loved dancing and it seemed like fun.

I'd also recently separated and wanted to do something - but not to get into another relationship :sick: So it was a bit of exercise, a social thing and an opportunity to do something I'd always enjoyed. I never ever thought I'd still be going along over 6 years later and still be having fun. And certainly never ever expected to either be a taxi dancer or a demo - or enter a competition. Should probably thank dancing vela for helping me overcome that fear :D

Zuhal
24th-February-2004, 02:13 PM
Newly separated with two teenage daughters. I wanted to do something that I could do with them.

I only take one at a time and they compete with each other in competence.

Sadly one organisation refuses entrance to the younger one and refuses to discuss why.

Now I am hooked and go somewhere once a week. One day I may even get good!!:waycool:

Martin
25th-February-2004, 03:07 PM

Expected nothing apart from a fun night out.
I had done ballroom jive and my mate asked if I wanted to go to something called Le Roc that had just started up, which was a form of Jive.

Great fun, great people - You can travel around the UK (and the world) and meet new and interesting people on day one.:waycool: