PDA

View Full Version : Lift from Glasgow to Route 66 this Friday ????

Wendy
18th-January-2006, 11:52 AM
Can anyone give me a lift to R66 on Friday ???

Please PM me.

Wxxx

ducasi
18th-January-2006, 11:56 AM
:yeah:

Me too! :flower:

Wendy
18th-January-2006, 01:28 PM
Sorted !!! Me and Ducassi singing Bohemian Rhapsody at 1 in the morning. It's going to be great !!!! :D

Wxxx

ducasi
18th-January-2006, 01:32 PM
Hey, no-one said anything about singing! :eek:

Wendy
18th-January-2006, 01:36 PM
There's no such thing as a free lunch wee chum.

Wxxx

ducasi
18th-January-2006, 01:46 PM
There's no such thing as a free lunch wee chum.

Wxxx
OK, in that case I'll bring a CD of some good sing-a-long music... :D

Wendy
18th-January-2006, 03:26 PM
OK, in that case I'll bring a CD of some good sing-a-long music... :D Can you make it tapes ?? She's getting on a bit and doesn't have a cd player ???

Wxxx

ducasi
18th-January-2006, 03:57 PM
Can you make it tapes ?? She's getting on a bit and doesn't have a cd player ???

Wxxx
Um...

I could bring my iPod & speakers? :D

Wendy
18th-January-2006, 09:04 PM
Um...

I could bring my iPod & speakers? :D Magic !!! Does it have a karioke attachment thing so the words flash across the windscreen ??? I'll bring a disco ball that works off the cigarette lighter !!!

:clap: :cheers: :clap: :cheers: :clap:

Wxxx

Piglet
18th-January-2006, 09:39 PM
Hey you two! Forget Route 66 - at least for this week and head for Brechin instead! It's grrrrreat!

Heather
18th-January-2006, 10:13 PM
Think I'll head to Route 66 . Brechin may be OK but Route 66 is 'miles' better:wink:
Be great to see you again Wendy! Anyone might get the idea that you are missing Scotland!!!!:rofl:

:hug: :kiss:

Heather,
xx

Piglet
18th-January-2006, 10:16 PM
Think I'll head to Route 66 . Brechin may be OK but Route 66 is 'miles' better:wink:
Can't argue with you cos I've not tried Route 66 yet. Were you at Brechin last Friday then? I didn't spot you, but I know there were lots of lovely dancers there from Dundee (and the new dancers were simply lovely - a delight) - well worth the journey from my point of view :clap:

Dance Demon
18th-January-2006, 11:15 PM
Hey you two! Forget Route 66 - at least for this week

Ah, but....you can go to Brechin any Friday, but Route66 is only once a month...so even more worth the trip:wink:

ducasi
19th-January-2006, 01:13 AM
Magic !!! Does it have a karioke attachment thing so the words flash across the windscreen ??? I'll bring a disco ball that works off the cigarette lighter !!! Sorry, the karaoke attachment cost too much.

We'll just have to make up our own words... :)

Heather
19th-January-2006, 08:45 AM
Ah, but....you can go to Brechin any Friday, but Route66 is only once a month...so even more worth the trip:wink:

:yeah: :yeah:

Saving Brechin for another Friday, when there's no Route 66.
You try Route 66 and I'll try Brechin!!:grin:

:hug:
Heather,
xx

TheTramp
19th-January-2006, 11:09 AM

Interested to know how you can have an opinion on this without actually having been there?

Or are you just turning into David James?

TheTramp
19th-January-2006, 11:44 AM

Just to be pedantic (who me??), the fact that it's only on once a month doesn't in any way make it "more worth the trip".

(I'm not in any way saying that it's not worth the trip of course, just that the fact it's only on once a month doesn't affect the worthiness).

Piglet
19th-January-2006, 01:45 PM
You try Route 66 and I'll try Brechin!!:grin:
Sounds like a jolly good deal to me!
Didn't realise it was a once a month thing - so when's the next one?
Not the same time as the Beach Ballroom? :eek:

Heather
19th-January-2006, 02:02 PM
Interested to know how you can have an opinion on this without actually having been there?

Or are you just turning into David James?

I have my sources, Trampy!!!!!
I can form an opinion, based on what I have heard surely?
HOWEVER, I will put my money where my mouth is and pay Brechin a visit in person.
:hug:
Heather,
xx

TheTramp
19th-January-2006, 02:10 PM
I can form an opinion, based on what I have heard surely?

Not really. You can have someone else's opinion, or even an amalgamation of other people's opinions. But then, that's all that it is, can't be your own without experiencing it (or anything else) for yourself.

Anyhow, can I recommend Monika's opinion to you....

Lorna :worthy: :worthy: Respect! What a night!!! :clap: :cheers:
Must be one of the most succesful opening nights ever! :flower:
Had a brilliant night! Fab music - fab dancers and lot's of enthusiasm and energy and just fantastic! :)

Dance Demon
19th-January-2006, 06:32 PM
Just to be pedantic (who me??),

I suppose thats one description;)

Heather
20th-January-2006, 08:51 AM
can't be your own without experiencing it (or anything else) for yourself.

This is utter b*****cks Trampy.
Of course it's possible to form an opinion about something without actually experiencing it.
Following your hypothesis, I'd have to actually try out crack cocaine and heroin in order to have the opinion that these drugs are bad for you!
I don't have to actually physically break a leg in order to form the opinion that it hurts!
People form opinions every day, based on what other people say, in politics for instance. We can either agree or disagree with what we are told.
For someone who may at sometime be unleashed on the legal profession, you'll have to present a more convincing argument than that, or opposing council will wipe the floor with you!:wink:

:cheers:
Heather

ducasi
20th-January-2006, 09:13 AM
Dragging this thread almost back on-topic, I hope to see lots of you at Route 66 tonight, though (even without having experienced it!) I'm sure Brechin will be a great night too, and I'm looking forward to visiting hopefully sometime soon. :)

And now back on topic... Wendy, besides Bohemian Rhapsody, any requests?

TheTramp
20th-January-2006, 10:25 AM
This is utter b*****cks Trampy.
Of course it's possible to form an opinion about something without actually experiencing it.
Following your hypothesis, I'd have to actually try out crack cocaine and heroin in order to have the opinion that these drugs are bad for you!
I don't have to actually physically break a leg in order to form the opinion that it hurts!
People form opinions every day, based on what other people say, in politics for instance. We can either agree or disagree with what we are told.
For someone who may at sometime be unleashed on the legal profession, you'll have to present a more convincing argument than that, or opposing council will wipe the floor with you!:wink:

:cheers:
Heather

No. You'd have to listen to medical advice to find out the drugs are bad for you. You could listen to other people's opinions on what taking the drugs do for you. But until you took them, you could never form an opinion for yourself on how they would actually affect you. Which is the analogy we're using here - whether or not you would like the night in question.

If you break a leg, you know it'll hurt. Someone else can tell you how it'll feel. But again, until you do it yourself, you'll never find out what it's like. Same analogy.

Experiencing something is the only way to have your own opinion. As I said above, and I'll stand by it, until you've done something yourself, you have other people's opinions about it. Without having tried it myself, I have no idea exactly how cocaine or heroin would affect me. I know it's bad for me. That's a fact, not an opinion. And I can listen to other people's comments on how trips affect them. From that information, I can make an informed decision that I don't want to try it myself. But until I do, I'll still never know for sure whether I'd like it, or how it would actually affect me.

There's plenty of times that I've heard vastly differing opinions of certain dance nights. There have been nights where people have told me it's been fantastic, and other people have told me that they've had an awful time at the same night. Until I've been I'll still not have my own actual opinion of the said night. I'll just have other people's opinions. From which I may, of course, make a decision on whether or not I'll go to the said night. But that's a different thing to having my own opinion, having experienced it for myself.

And personally, I try to avoid forming any opinion based on anything that someone involved in politics tells me! :rolleyes:

Back to you..... counsel

(Oh, and for the record, I didn't feel a need to be personally offensive about anything you said, no matter what my own personal opinion of it was :whistle: )

TheTramp
20th-January-2006, 11:25 AM

People form opinions every day, based on what other people say

Incidentally, what you have said above would be labelled as hearsay (ie. something not actually experienced, but based on what you've been told by someone else (or overheard etc.)).

As such, should opposing counsel actually ever try to introduce that into a trial as an argument, I wouldn't have to wipe the floor with them, the judge would do that, as hearsay evidence is totally inadmissible.

Dance Demon
20th-January-2006, 11:42 AM
Looking forward to seeing everyone tonight for the first Route 66 of 2006, including the people who have travelled from as far afield as France, and Manchester to be there. To everyone going to Brechin, I hope you have a great night ( I'm sure you will). The nights are far enough apart, not to have any adverse effect on each other, and are different enough to offer a choice to those willing to travel. And to those who will probably not be at either, but seem intent on doing a bit stirring.......you won't be missed:wink:

Jive Brummie
20th-January-2006, 11:17 PM
Just as a point of interest, one of the most succesful opening nights around here was Perth a couple of years ago when, if I remember rightly, it attracted over 200! Not many for some of the English classes, but a lot for up here.

I'm sure the Brechin class was/is/will be a good night but as such it's a Ceroc night and therefore, factually, follows a set evening plan, no opinion or hearsay there. Route 66 however is a monthly party night and as mentioned by some on other threads promotes dancing at their dance night as opposed to conducting a class and/or cabaret. I think that is pretty factual too.

I think, on reflection Heather can have an opinion on the Brechin class without ever going. She knows lorna and how she teaches, she knows the format of an average ceroc night and she'll probably know many of the dancers who attend. Certainly those that travel from Dundee and Aberdeen. The only ones she may not know are the newbies. So, if I'm right (and I'm sure I'll be told that i'm not), the only real difference is the venue. So am I right to assume that it's the venue that makes the night soooo fantastic? A genuine query.

Back to Route 66 though. No class to take part in...more dancing. Runs to about the same time if not later than a Ceroc class...more dancing and has within it's hallowed walls, arguably the best modern jive dj in Scotland who appears to be rising through the UK dj rankings to boot ( if there are such things). ALL HAIL THE DEMON:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

In brief I'm sure both nights are brill. Can only speak factually about Route66 and not Brechin as I've not been there. But being perfectly honest and I'm sure it comes as no surprise, I think I'll go back to R66 for nothing more than the people, the host and the music.

Well done to both.

J.

David Bailey
21st-January-2006, 12:10 AM
That's exactly the argument I use too - and yes, I also always have multiple trusted sources for my opinions. believe it or not. I usually use the "space travel" analogy - do I have to be an astranaut to have an opinion on the matter? Of course, the ultimate is the Nazi analogy, but I'd fall foul of Godwin's Law if I used that.

So yes, it does indeed look like you are turning into me. Sorry :flower:

Experiencing something is the only way to have your own opinion. As I said above, and I'll stand by it, until you've done something yourself, you have other people's opinions about it.
So:

You'll never be able to have any opinion about any aspect of woman's rights?
Non-parents will never be able to have any opinion about child-raising?
Live people will never ever be able to have any opinion about the death penalty?
Non-criminal jurors will never be able to have an opinion about criminal guilt?

I'd agree that experiencing something directly is usually the best way to have an opinion about it. But if that's not possible, then an opinion based on several trusted sources of information (expert opinions) can be a reasonable substitute I think.

Lorna
21st-January-2006, 01:40 AM
Oh dear,

opening Brechin was not an attempt to rival any other night. As DD says, we are no-where near each other so it won't have an effect on numbers/turn out.

I opened Brechin for a number of reasons but the main reason was because I wanted more work. Franck couldn't afford the time or energy to dedicate to another night so as an experiment he has allowed me to open the night under his franchise.

Also if you know Brechin at all you will know that there is nothing to do here and it is crying out for something like this. I am pleased to say that the whole place is talking about it and I had a very busy night again tonight, which as I have said to loads of people, is great for Brechin!!!!. I knew when I opened this night that I wouldn't and couldn't rely on numbers from the other venues. My target audience is the locals and the surrounding local communities. I have been lucky so far and have had a lot of support from other venues which is great and I am really grateful. They have helped to make the past 2 nights really successful.

Just enjoy your dancing wherever you go.

I'm sure, in fact I know that, you guys all had a great time at R66 and you will carry on to do so.

So please just leave it at that.

Thank you,

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

ducasi
21st-January-2006, 03:49 AM
I was at Route 66 tonight. I had a great time.

The next time it's on, I think it's the weekend of the Beach Ballroom event in Aberdeen, which I'm thinking of going to via Brechin. I expect I'll have a great time there too.

:flower:

Buttons
21st-January-2006, 12:55 PM
Whilst I agree that DD is a Fantastic DJ at Route66 We must not forget that Dave Cassidy Also plays fantastic sets. Last night both DJ sets were great. For me it is the different styles that make Route66 unique. If you don't like one style you most certainly will like the other

Dance Demon
21st-January-2006, 03:09 PM
Whilst I agree that DD is a Fantastic DJ at Route66 We must not forget that Dave Cassidy Also plays fantastic sets. Last night both DJ sets were great. For me it is the different styles that make Route66 unique. If you don't like one style you most certainly will like the other`

:yeah: ...glad someone has said this. Dave has had his critics on here in the past, but he played some lovely stuff last night, including a wee gem by Pink Floyd called San Tropez. :waycool:

Piglet
21st-January-2006, 07:05 PM
So, if I'm right (and I'm sure I'll be told that i'm not), the only real difference is the venue. So am I right to assume that it's the venue that makes the night soooo fantastic? A genuine query.

To answer your query - my best night this week was definitely Brechin yet again - same teacher and different venue to one of my other nights, but it was the variety of lovely people who were there that helped make the night special. The Brechinites (or whatever the term is) are very friendly and enthusiastic people and a pure joy to dance with. Also - it has to be said that its lovely to get another opportunity to dance with Dundonians or other Southern dancers, so big thanks to Brechin for that. And of course the delightful Aberdonians that make the journey too. (I would say that you would find similar enjoyment from Route 66 for the same reasons, but I'm guessing - need to try it first!)

So I wouldn't say it was the venue that makes the night at all. What is a venue without lovely dancers around? And why I made the hour and a bit journey down to Perth on a Thursday for a good half a dozen nights even though I could have danced in Aberdeen:D

Did Wendy get to Route 66 then? (back on topic - almost sorry I took it off topic, but I was just being really enthusiastic about Brechin and it certainly couldn't be described as simply an "ok" night from my perspective).

ducasi
21st-January-2006, 07:28 PM
Did Wendy get to Route 66 then? Yep, we went over together for what was a great night. (And like you say, it's the people that make the night.)

Didn't get round to Bohemian Rhapsody on my iPod (thank goodness!)

Cheers for the lift Wendy! Looking forward to seeing you next time you're back in Scotland. :)

Hope to have a full report of the night on my blog soon...

Piglet
21st-January-2006, 07:32 PM
Didn't get round to Bohemian Rhapsody on my iPod (thank goodness!)

Drat - when you mentioned it second time around I thought you were referring to dancing to it!

I have at Chicago Rock after one ceroc night - think it might have been Stuart that I grabbed, but can't remember now. Brilliant fun!

Glad Wendy made it and you had a great night! See you soon :hug: :hug:

Wendy
22nd-January-2006, 07:59 PM
Had a lovely night (as always) at R66. Thanks everyone.

:hug: :kiss: :hug:

Wxxx

ducasi
23rd-January-2006, 02:03 AM
Hope to have a full report of the night on my blog soon... As promised, my blog entry (http://ducasi.org/blog/2006/01/22/second-journey-along-route-66/) for Route 66 on Friday night. :)

Baby Peaches
23rd-January-2006, 09:13 PM
Oh dear,

opening Brechin was not an attempt to rival any other night. As DD says, we are no-where near each other so it won't have an effect on numbers/turn out.

I opened Brechin for a number of reasons but the main reason was because I wanted more work. Franck couldn't afford the time or energy to dedicate to another night so as an experiment he has allowed me to open the night under his franchise.

Also if you know Brechin at all you will know that there is nothing to do here and it is crying out for something like this. I am pleased to say that the whole place is talking about it and I had a very busy night again tonight, which as I have said to loads of people, is great for Brechin!!!!. I knew when I opened this night that I wouldn't and couldn't rely on numbers from the other venues. My target audience is the locals and the surrounding local communities. I have been lucky so far and have had a lot of support from other venues which is great and I am really grateful. They have helped to make the past 2 nights really successful.

Just enjoy your dancing wherever you go.

I'm sure, in fact I know that, you guys all had a great time at R66 and you will carry on to do so.

So please just leave it at that.

Thank you,

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Well done Lorna :clap: :clap: I hope you didn't mind a couple of gatecrashers from Norway popping in to support. Ian and I had a great time and I am soooo pleased for you. It has really taken off and you should be very proud of yourself!!:worthy: Great music, great dancing and lovely new people!:flower:

Take care

Shaz.xxx:hug: