PDA

View Full Version : What is neuro linguistic programming?

Ste
17th-January-2006, 01:52 PM
Being interested in peroformance enhancement since a youngster, I have been interested in a number of things like superlearning etc I have heard about neuro linguistic programming but am constantly frustrated because I cannot find a definition although I have heard about its benefits.

What EXACTLY is it?

Is it linked to Anthony Robbins and is he a real NLP practitioner.

Is it linked to a philosphy or is it pure psychology?

WittyBird
17th-January-2006, 01:55 PM
:non existant yawn smiley: :whistle:

azande
17th-January-2006, 01:58 PM
you mean...
http://www.azande.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/smilies/yawn.gif

WittyBird
17th-January-2006, 02:07 PM
you mean...
http://www.azande.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/smilies/yawn.gif
Absolutely thank you :worthy:

ChrisA
17th-January-2006, 02:23 PM
Being interested in performance enhancement since a youngster
You'll go blind if you don't just delete all those emails you know...

McJester
17th-January-2006, 03:04 PM
NLP is about learning about the ways someone sees the world and communicating with them on a subconcious level to alter what they see. ie communication and influencing skills.

Not the best definition, sorry. One of my friends is a practitioner and I am interested it myself. I will be doing the training this year.

Big names in the field are :

Richard Brandler - The Grandaddy of the who NLP thing
Paul McKenna - Has a large training program of books, seminars and tv shows, concentrates more on the self help side of things
Derren Brown - uses the techniques in a lot of his TV work

For further information look at Trance-formations by Richard Brandler, great book, hard to find but if you need it I can send you the PDF

regards

McJester

ajs
17th-January-2006, 03:29 PM
Being interested in peroformance enhancement since a youngster, I have been interested in a number of things like superlearning etc I have heard about neuro linguistic programming but am constantly frustrated because I cannot find a definition although I have heard about its benefits.

What EXACTLY is it?

Anthony Robbins is indeed linked to NLP and was I believe one of the founders/inventors of it way back in the dawn of time, although I may be wrong.

What I do know is that he's been doing that kind of thing for 25 years or so and has actually developed his own version which is NAC - Neuro Associative Conditioning.

It's basically sorting out why you do and think things the way that you do - it is psychology. You use your thoughts and what you associate with them, and then if you change the way you think about things you can reprogram your mind to associate different things to these thoughts (e.g. bad feeling to good feeling or vice versa etc)

One of his key tools is the pleasure and pain theory: everything anyone does is controlled by pleasure or pain.

If for example you go on a diet to lose weight but then give up, the pain of eating healthy food and exercising is greater than the pain of being overweight. To change this, you can focus on all the good things which will come from losing weight (the pleasure), and think of the pain of not losing weight.

Think of the pleasure of not losing weight - you get to eat a load of crap and can sit around all day watching tv
Think of the pain of not losing weight - think of how you look, how you feel, what people think of you
Think of the pleasure brought through losing weight - you can fit into all the clothes you wanted to, you look good, you feel good, you have more energy etc
Think of the pain brough through losing weight - you might have the initial embarrassment of going to the gym and being surrounded by fit people

Think of how you'll be in a year if you haven't made the change, 5 years, ten years...and vice versa.

If you address each of those four scenarios, you can then find out what's important to you and what you have to do to change.

If you can get enough desire to change, enough leverage, you can change how you feel in an instant. If you can make something seem so important to you then nothing will stand in your way.

ducasi
17th-January-2006, 03:34 PM
We're discussed this before a few months back, but I can't find it – probably because we were mainly talking about "NLP" and the forum's search system ignores words with three or fewer letters in them. (Its biggest failing, IMHO.)

WittyBird
17th-January-2006, 03:36 PM
We're discussed this before a few months back, but I can't find it – probably because we were mainly talking about "NLP" and the forum's search system ignores words with three or fewer letters in them. (Its biggest failing, IMHO.)
Many times this has been discussed
I'm sure LMC or DavidJames will link it at some point. I have a problem with the Ar$e factor today :eek:

Rhythm King
17th-January-2006, 05:03 PM
I have a problem with the Ar$e factor today :eek:
Can't you get off it? :devil:

WittyBird
17th-January-2006, 05:05 PM
Can't you get off it? :devil:
That is the main problem :wink:

Tazmanian Devil
17th-January-2006, 05:09 PM

What EXACTLY is it?

A great book all about Nero Linguistic Programming is Frogs into Princes By Richard Bandler and John Grinder :flower:

WittyBird
17th-January-2006, 05:37 PM
Ok I'm in a nice mood.
One of my favourite easy reading books is here (http://www.butler-bowdon.com/awakenthegiantwithin.htm). There are loads of good books but this is one I really like. When I was doing my NLP training the key was to take it slowly and not rush. :D

Anthony Robbins

Born in 1960, Robbins grew up in a low-rent suburb of Los Angeles, but was thrown out of home by his mother at age 17 for being ‘too intense’. He obtained a reputation as a super-salesman, selling tickets to other motivational speaker’s events. Claiming to have read over 700 personal growth books, he came across NLP in 1983 and went on the road to promote his brand of it, promising to heal people of phobias in fifteen minutes. He was a millionaire by age 24. These incidents and others are related in The Life Story of Anthony Robbins, by former Robbins associate Michael Bolduc.

Robbins is now America’s most well known ‘peak performance consultant’ and has worked with IBM, AT&T, American Express and the US Army, as well as professional sports teams and Olympic athletes. He has been a private coach to Bill Clinton (who apparently relied on Robbins for support during the Monica Lewinsky crisis), Andre Agassi, Mikhail Gorbachev and even had some sessions with Princess Diana.

The Anthony Robbins companies (dreamlife.com) runs seminars and events around the world, including a ‘Mastery University’. His Foundation runs programs to help youth, the elderly, the homeless and people in prison. The author lives in Del Mar, California, with his wife Becky and children

LMC
17th-January-2006, 06:38 PM
There was a bit of a discussion in the religions thread and the Landmark Forum thread, but since Google hasn't come up with either of them, I assume said threads are now on "members only" forums and the forum search facility gives me "CBA* syndrome" - so over to you DJ.

My favoured text is The NLP Workbook, Joseph O'Connor (Amazon slinky linky (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0007100035/qid=1137519186/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_3_2/026-3609302-7228428)). The "Dummies" series (yellow books with pictures) also did an "NLP for" (and I expect there's an orange-book-with-pictures "Idiots Guide to...") - but these tend to be confusing and bitty rather than helpful. NLP just has a lot of jargon. You like it or you don't :shrug:. I like NLP, and the jargon makes things quicker to explain if someone knows what you're talking about...

The great thing about NLP is that you can start "straight away" with some of the principles - although WB is right IMO not to rush. Pick the bit that appeals to you to start with. The other great thing is that you can "take what you like and leave the rest".

NLP coaches are not regulated. If you decide to see one, go on recommendation from someone you trust. Personally, I wouldn't bother - you can quite easily do most of it yourself or with the assistance of a trusted friend to talk you through some of the visualisation stuff.

EDIT: Oops, nearly forgot

*CBA= canna be ar*ed