PDA

View Full Version : A few moves well? or a lot of moves?

timbp
17th-January-2006, 09:45 AM
thank you to all of you for being so patient with me - one day I will learn some more moves, I promise

So even though women tell us it's better to lead a few moves well, they really believe moves maketh the leader:)

TheTramp
17th-January-2006, 09:55 AM
So even though women tell us it's better to lead a few moves well, they really believe moves maketh the leader:)

Ah... But Sparkles leads more than a few moves very well. Which is a good time to go learn a couple more. That doesn't stop the fact that it's better to lead a few moves well, than a lot of moves badly....

Sparkles
17th-January-2006, 10:06 AM
That doesn't stop the fact that it's better to lead a few moves well, than a lot of moves badly....
:yeah: Yup, I agree.
If I ever don't perform a move well, I hope someone will tell me; but now that I have a few I can do (hopefully quite well :blush: ) I think maybe I should try to learn one or two more.

timbp
17th-January-2006, 10:34 AM
Ah... But Sparkles leads more than a few moves very well. Which is a good time to go learn a couple more. That doesn't stop the fact that it's better to lead a few moves well, than a lot of moves badly....
OK. I'm willing to agree with that.

But (terrified of being shot down in flames) maybe I'm ready to learn the next secret: is it better to lead a lot of moves well rather than a few moves well?

Tim

pjay
17th-January-2006, 10:51 AM
OK. I'm willing to agree with that.

But (terrified of being shot down in flames) maybe I'm ready to learn the next secret: is it better to lead a lot of moves well rather than a few moves well?

Tim

I know that some might claim it's semantics... but, if you're looking for "the next secret" I think it's better to dance well than it is to lead moves....

jivecat
17th-January-2006, 10:53 AM
... is it better to lead a lot of moves well rather than a few moves well?

Tim

Sorry, hadn't read previous bits properly.

LMC
17th-January-2006, 10:58 AM
From the follower's point of view, a few moves led well is :drool:

But obviously, different moves suit different tracks and different followers - so a larger repertoire will give a leader more choice.

DavidB
17th-January-2006, 11:00 AM
is it better to lead a lot of moves well rather than a few moves well?The aim is to lead the moves the lady likes doing.

This is where Sparkles has an advantage, because it is biologically impossible for a man to know what a lady wants.

stewart38
17th-January-2006, 11:08 AM
So Stewart38 did we ever get past 6? I know we were counting them in Jaks :rofl:

Im not known for the number of moves I do on the dance floor. I learnt a new move in August on a dance holiday. Kind of learnt one with ZW last year but get a bit afraid of grabbing women by the waist :sick: but apart from that probably dance the same moves that I did 10 years ago :sad:

I try and dance them with more style and grace , id say max about 20/25

Some people have made the comment this is 'boring'

What do ladies or even men think

1. As many moves as possible (keeps it interesting)

2. Fewer moves but well excuted

3. Throw me anywhere Im game (for WB) :wink:

4. Grammar and spelling are more important then how many moves you do

5. None of the above its in the eyes /smile and left hand pocket ?

David Bailey
17th-January-2006, 11:12 AM
I think the progression is usually something like:
- learn lots of moves
- forget lots of moves, learn to dance in time to a few moves
- learn to dance out-of-time
- learn to dance

:)

WittyBird
17th-January-2006, 11:26 AM
3. Throw me anywhere Im game (for WB) :wink:

Whatever do you mean? :what:

stewart38
17th-January-2006, 11:29 AM
Whatever do you mean? :what:

I see there is a similar thread :blush: :whistle:

timbp
17th-January-2006, 12:00 PM
The aim is to lead the moves the lady likes doing.
I agree, and that's what I try to do (and ladies keep asking me to dance!).

This is where Sparkles has an advantage, because it is biologically impossible for a man to know what a lady wants.
I'm sorry, but this is completely wrong. Biologically, men are programmed to attract women. How can one possibly attract women without knowing what women want?

jivecat
17th-January-2006, 12:16 PM
I'm sorry, but this is completely wrong. Biologically, men are programmed to attract women. How can one possibly attract women without knowing what women want?

I don't think it's got much to do with powers of attraction, it's to do with understanding how the dance feels from a female (or follower's) point of view. Most men could learn more about that if they tried - for example, by consenting to be led. It's usually good leaders that are willing to lead other guys, but I think, possibly, even more could be learnt by being led by a variety of good, bad & average.

Whenever I've tried to lead, mostly I've learnt how bl**dy difficult it is.:worthy: :worthy:

foxylady
17th-January-2006, 12:56 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

marty_baby
17th-January-2006, 01:06 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My thought exactly!
I'm not being a defeatist... just a realist!.... :)

Its a Mars and Venus thing....

Lynn
17th-January-2006, 01:09 PM
So even though women tell us it's better to lead a few moves well, they really believe moves maketh the leader:)No - its leading that maketh the leader. The moves just help you learn how to lead.

marty_baby
17th-January-2006, 01:15 PM
Back to the question mind...
Its got to depend on a lot of things surely?

1. The Ability of the Leader to fluidly lead moves
2. The Ability of the follower to fluidly follow moves
3. The music
4. The level of connection, and dance appreciation
5. How tired both are respectiviely
6. How "switched on" the Leader is that night - to string together good moves to the music being played... Muscality, Breaks, variation etc...
7. Oh... and also how many moves the Leader knows!

David Bailey
17th-January-2006, 01:28 PM
How about "No moves" - seriously, that's what I'm aiming for...

jivecat
17th-January-2006, 02:10 PM
How about "No moves" - seriously, that's what I'm aiming for...

Can you elaborate on this a bit ? Are you going to just stand there, shifting from side to side, with maybe the occasional twitch?

Little Monkey
17th-January-2006, 02:28 PM
Can you elaborate on this a bit ? Are you going to just stand there, shifting from side to side, with maybe the occasional twitch?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I want to see that!!

But seriously, as many people (including me) have said on similar threads before, it's more important to do the moves you know right (even if it's just a few moves), than to do lots of moves but badly. Obviously to learn new moves, you'll have to practice them, and occasionally make mistakes before you get them right.

I think it's important to pick one or two moves from a class or workshop that feel right for you, and try to perfect them and fit them into your repertoire, instead of trying to get in as many moves as possible.

Another important thing in my opinion, is to have a few 'basic' moves that can be varied to suit the music you're dancing to, or the partner you're dancing with. And also to understand that some moves are best for slower music, and others more suited for faster tracks. There are some dancers who do the same moves (without variation) regardless of what music is being played. Certain moves can be lethal when danced to very fast tracks (particularly if poorly executed!!), and can completely ruin the dance experience for me.

So, for me it's important that the moves are well executed, and that my partner has some kind of idea about musicality..... How many and fancy moves he does are less important.

Oh, and a smile and eye contact makes the dance soooo much more enjoyable! (Spice'n'Easy, you really need to work on this! :wink: :rofl: )

jivecat
17th-January-2006, 02:39 PM
So, for me it's important that the moves are well executed, and that my partner has some kind of idea about musicality..... How many and fancy moves he does are less important.
For me, this might mean learning how to do nothing much in between the occasional move. Are we getting warmer, DJ?

TheTramp
17th-January-2006, 03:09 PM
For me, this might mean learning how to do nothing much in between the occasional move. Are we getting warmer, DJ?

Nope. I'm going for the shifting from side to side, with maybe the occasional twitch version of dancing from now on.... :rofl:

WittyBird
17th-January-2006, 03:19 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I want to see that!!

come to Finchley on a Monday :blush: :rofl:

David Bailey
17th-January-2006, 04:01 PM
Yep, that sounds about right. :)

No, seriously, I'm working on my "all MJ moves are inherently wrong" theory of dancing at the moment; the basic idea is that all moves involve some level of anticipation from the lady, and therefore don't help develop lead-and-follow technique.

Therefore, by breaking moves down into interesting steps, I can just do the interesting-step parts, but continuously vary "what happens next", so that I don't really do moves. I just move.

Realistically, there are some moves I love so much I'll probably always do them; straightjacket, cross-body leads, that sort of thing. But I reckon, in an average dance, I do maybe half the number of "moves" I did, say, 10 years ago.

Hmmm.... does that make sense?

If not, you'll easily recognise me on the dance floor, I'm Mr Twitchy. :tears:

Little Monkey
17th-January-2006, 05:27 PM
come to Finchley on a Monday :blush: :rofl:

And miss Monday Lush? You've gotta be kidding, girl! :eek: Wouldn't want to miss that for the world, even to see DJ's new 'shuffle and twich' style! :D

David Bailey
17th-January-2006, 05:55 PM
And miss Monday Lush? You've gotta be kidding, girl! :eek: Wouldn't want to miss that for the world, even to see DJ's new 'shuffle and twich' style! :D
Hmmm... "SAT", I like it :clap:

jivecat
17th-January-2006, 05:57 PM
Therefore, by breaking moves down into interesting steps, I can just do the interesting-step parts, but continuously vary "what happens next", so that I don't really do moves. I just move. I find this is the only style of dancing that keeps me awake these days. Can you teach it to some other people, please. (Tic)

David Bailey
17th-January-2006, 05:58 PM
I find this is the only style of dancing that keeps me awake these days. Can you teach it to some other people, please. (Tic)
But, but... that'd be.. work! :eek:

Nah, let them work it out for themselves, the lazy beggars. I did :devil:

Caro
17th-January-2006, 08:37 PM
From the follower's point of view, a few moves led well is :drool:

But obviously, different moves suit different tracks and different followers - so a larger repertoire will give a leader more choice.

:yeah: indeed....
I do understand what Sparkles meant when she said she wanted to learn new moves, I too try to lead sometimes and there are a few moves I can lead well (hopefully), a few moves I lead badly and many many moves I just don't remember (although I did them in a class or like them as a follower). So I'd like too to learn new moves, not for the sake of doing them all in one dance, but so that I have that larger repertoire to choose from and adapt to the music / follower (although I am far from there yet, but it's something I'd like to be able to do).

Also, there are a few moves that I really don't like to do as a follower, and although they might be handy to lead sometimes, I tend not to do them to other ladies, because I know how they feel for me, no matter how well they are lead!!! :rolleyes:

David Bailey
17th-January-2006, 10:38 PM
:yeah: indeed....
I do understand what Sparkles meant when she said she wanted to learn new moves,
The more I think about it, the more I think I want to forget moves. Maybe it's just my well-known oddity, but I now almost feel like I've failed if I have to do a "move", with the exception of the ones I really love and can't give up on.

I don't know how to explain it, but doing moves doesn't really feel like dancing now, it's almost like the moves are what you do when you're trying to shape the dance. Or something...

I remember advice ages back from Mike Ellard, he recommended always having a "backup" move for when you can't think of what move to do next. It's now almost like Ceroc Moves(TM) are my backup.

I know, I'm rambling, I'll shut up now.

Katie
17th-January-2006, 10:58 PM
What do ladies or even men think

If I were to have two or three dances with a man and he did the same moves in the same way over and over then I would get bored (sorry :blush: ); I'd hope that if there was a change in music tempo or style then the man would recognise it and adapt in some way, not necessarily with complicated moves.

Caro
17th-January-2006, 11:58 PM
I don't know how to explain it, but doing moves doesn't really feel like dancing now, it's almost like the moves are what you do when you're trying to shape the dance. Or something...

I'd love to have a dance with you to understand what you mean... have to say I struggle to imagine your style?! :confused: guess it would all make sense on the dancefloor :whistle:

where do you dance? planning any trip to Scotland?

LMC
18th-January-2006, 12:05 AM
:rofl: Caro...

Seriously, I like dancing with DJ, because he's NOT predictable - even though, like many guys, he has signature moves, he does tend to throw them together in different ways which means a follower has to pay attention. He gets all cross if you anticipate :devil:

Cruella
18th-January-2006, 12:06 AM
If I were to have two or three dances with a man and he did the same moves in the same way over and over then I would get bored (sorry :blush: ); I'd hope that if there was a change in music tempo or style then the man would recognise it and adapt in some way, not necessarily with complicated moves.
I think (if Sparkles is on the same wavelength as me) this is why she said she would like to learn more moves. I lead too and i get bored of the few moves i do! If you get bored dancing with a lead for 3 tracks because he's using the same moves, how bored do you think he must be, leading the same moves all night long!! It's much more fun being a follower. ;)

ChrisA
18th-January-2006, 12:17 AM
I think (if Sparkles is on the same wavelength as me) this is why she said she would like to learn more moves. I lead too and i get bored of the few moves i do! If you get bored dancing with a lead for 3 tracks because he's using the same moves, how bored do you think he must be, leading the same moves all night long!! It's much more fun being a follower. ;)
As it happens, I'm currently a bit bored with my repertoire, but in my limited experience I certainly don't lead what I do in the same way with everyone.

And with the enormous variation that there is between followers I'd chance my arm and suggest that any guy that does do it the same with everyone needs a bit of the haddock treatment.

Gadget
18th-January-2006, 02:15 AM
I'd love to have a dance with you to understand what you mean... have to say I struggle to imagine your style?! :confused: guess it would all make sense on the dancefloor :whistle: Do you dance on a Tuesday? {Do you know me?}
I think that from DJ's description, the mentality behind the dance sounds spookily similar to mine (...although in practice mine is probably not as acoumplished.)

I find this is the only style of dancing that keeps me awake these days. Can you teach it to some other people, please. (Tic)
Workshop: Moves, moves, moves (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4742) Feel free to use, abuse and critique.

Re: moves Vs leading
Moves are just a collection of movements that you learn how to lead. When free-styling, it's all about choosing the right option for the music and the partner at just that moment.

The more movements you know, the more options you have. The more ways you can connect these movements, the more options you have. If you can't lead something, then you are limiting your options. Leading something well will open up lots of options you didn't even know existed. {leading something poorly could, but it is more likley to close options than open new ones}

So in answer, yes. And no. :wink:

TheTramp
18th-January-2006, 02:21 AM
Do you dance on a Tuesday? {Do you know me?}

Yes. And yes. :whistle:

And so does Caro! :D

under par
18th-January-2006, 03:59 AM
I have learned many moves and many sequences of moves and many micro routines during the last 2 and half years since I took the learning of the moves as a serious past time.

My book of moves is incomplete as stopped updating from my notes about a year ago.

I still refer to the notes and lists to help me when I feel a little stale in what moves I am currently dancing.

Although I still dance a lot of variety in my moves, a lot of the dancing I do now is , I hope, less move lead and more mood lead to reflect the music being played at the time.

Although I still have a long, long way to go to get my dancing where I would like to be.

I understand David James "not moves but bits of moves" theory because I feel I spend lots of time in my dance breaking up the "whole" move or micro routine with use a great amount of blocks, checks, walks and pauses.

Some of the blocks, pauses, walks and checks can be end up being quite unorthodox in maybe using an arm, finger,elbow, shoulder, head etc in an attempt to translate the motion/shape of the dance into the music as I hear it.

It is obviously better to do fewer moves well than too many poorly but if you can strike a balance and increase the variety of moves or bits of moves the followers will benifit as will the leader in the long run.

David Bailey
18th-January-2006, 08:44 AM
I'd love to have a dance with you to understand what you mean... have to say I struggle to imagine your style?
Style? You want style as well? :eek:

:confused: guess it would all make sense on the dancefloor :whistle:
Err... :blush:

where do you dance? planning any trip to Scotland?
You're kidding, right? I can't even be bothered to go across from North to West London... :rofl:

Anyway, whilst I think "no moves" is probably an extreme aim, but it gets the point across. Whenever I dance and use, for example, a cleaver / neckbreak, it almost feels like marking time - there are only so many variations of it you can use, and it's fairly predictable, there's no surprises in it...

He gets all cross if you anticipate :devil:
Well, who doesn't? In fact, the reason I originally played with the Straightjacket was because it was described as an anticipation trap... :devil:

Lynn
18th-January-2006, 11:37 AM
Seriously, I like dancing with DJ, because he's NOT predictable - even though, like many guys, he has signature moves, he does tend to throw them together in different ways which means a follower has to pay attention. He gets all cross if you anticipate :devil:Now that just makes me want to anticipate just to see what happens :devil: :rofl:

But I'll repeat what I said earlier - I think we learn moves to learn how to lead and follow. Once we know how to do that, then the moves aren't as important, IMO.

(Maybe I'm coming from a different angle of not having had classes to go to for 2 years so not actually learning any moves, but hopefully improving my dancing somewhat during that time with weekender freestyling.)

Sparkles
18th-January-2006, 11:47 AM
He gets all cross if you anticipate :devil:
:yeah:
even when he has given a completely ambiguous lead :angry:
NOT appreciated.

ChrisA
18th-January-2006, 11:56 AM
He gets all cross if you anticipate

NOT appreciated.
Ah, the old "lead badly and blame the girl" trick...

I'm forming a mental picture now... :devil:

Sparkles
18th-January-2006, 11:57 AM
Cruella and Chris A are right, it's not about learning to lead loads of moves, it's about trying to make the dance interesting for your partner and also trying not to bore yourself to death.

As a follower I'm frequently lead into moves that are awkward or uncomfortable, and I find myself making a mental note of them so that I don't do them to ladies when I'm leading, in order to provide my partner with a comfortable and enjoyable dance. I do, however, find this restricts me in the number and types of moves I am willing to lead.
The problem is, of course, that I (unlike most men) do not lead all the time and so have limited amounts of practice, especially with those moves that I, as a follower, find more difficult. So when a night like last Monday comes along, when I was leading for about half the night, I suddenly feel slightly inadequate - and this also means that I do not ask ladies to dance with me for two songs together, for fear they will get bored (as Katie suggests).

LMC
18th-January-2006, 12:06 PM
...even when he has given a completely ambiguous lead :angry:
This is where "experience" in dancing with someone comes in real handy.
Because you get to recognise their "signature" moves and can have a b***y good guess at translating an ambiguous lead (enough times falling flat on my face getting something wrong gets things into even my thick head eventually). It's not necessarily *actually* anticipating (in terms of weight transfer/movement). Call it "expectation" maybe - whatever, it's still dodgy ground and for all I'm joking about it, I actually don't like myself very much when I get to that point with someone and try to make a conscious effort to stop it!

If leaders really really love a certain move, perhaps the best way around a regular follower falling into the "expectation" trap is to learn as many variations as possible of that particular move to make sure followers keep paying attention :D (and it's the best feedback that your lead is clear?).

David Bailey
18th-January-2006, 12:17 PM
NOT appreciated.
:confused: Have we danced?

Clearly it wasn't fun for you, I apologise unreservedly.

And I'll alter my sig accordingly :blush:

Sparkles
18th-January-2006, 12:28 PM
:confused: Have we danced?

Clearly it wasn't fun for you, I apologise unreservedly.

And I'll alter my sig accordingly :blush:

Yes, we have danced on a few occasions.
... the last time we did so was particularly memorable for me. If you wish I will PM you the particulars. Thank you for your apology, it is appreciated.
:flower:
S. x

Lory
18th-January-2006, 12:32 PM
The other night, my eye was drawn to a guy and I thought, hmm, he's good:worthy: he was dancing to a fast clubby track at the time. Then a few minutes later, I noticed him again, he was dancing exactly the same way as before but I thought, oh noo! :sick: The thing was, the music had changed, it was now smooth and slow but he still danced exactly the same way, completely ignoring the music. So even if his moves were clear and easy to follow, to me, it would feel wrong :rolleyes:

I think as long as one can adopt a different 'feel' to the dance, then it's fine. :nice: I'd definitely vote for less moves done well, than hundreds of moves done badly.:cheers:

But like Katie said, i think i'd get bored if I danced with the same person, doing the same few moves, over and over again, all night.:blush:

My ultimate choice, is dancing with someone who can change styles completely, to suit each individual track e.g....

Sway - cha cha
One, two step - WCS
Better the devil you know - MJ
LiberTango - AT
Lady in red - Rumba
:worthy:

Msfab
18th-January-2006, 12:47 PM
It taken a long time for me to stop anticipating the lead and then getting it wrong. This happened at the Bognor weekend. I saw someone dancing who i thought looked quite good. When I got a dance with him, I found his lead very indistinct so i had to start anticipating and this meant i got few things wrong.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Now with quite a few dancers/leads I rely on the lead/follow connection thing, which means i can relax and not worry about what move is coming up or variation they are going to try next. And because im not anticipating im not having to think and therefore not counting the number of moves, just enjoying the music and partner. <o:p></o:p>
I usually find I can spend more time dancing with the lead/follow type dancer, as no one move is ever the same.<o:p></o:p>
Surely its more about quality than the quantity of moves during a dance.<o:p></o:p>
I havent read the whole thread!<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> :blush: <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype>
DJ, please dont scrutinize every word ive written!

pjay
18th-January-2006, 12:48 PM

I suggest trying making something up that you haven't learnt when you get to this stage of being bored with what you've learnt... or try doing what you've learnt in a different way...

ElaineB
18th-January-2006, 01:13 PM
My ultimate choice, is dancing with someone who can change styles completely, to suit each individual track e.g....

Sway - cha cha
One, two step - WCS
LiberTango - AT
Lady in red - Rumba

Heaven! sigh! :)

Elaine

foxylady
18th-January-2006, 01:49 PM

Sway - cha cha
One, two step - WCS
LiberTango - AT
Lady in red - Rumba

Change styles or change dances ???

Both are worthy, but I certainly appreciate an MJer who can alter their style to the style of the music ie MJ with a cha cha flava'..... as much as someone who can actually cha cha....

Foxy

Lory
18th-January-2006, 05:17 PM
Change styles or change dances ???

Both really but as I said here .....

I think as long as one can adopt a different 'feel' to the dance, then it's fine. :nice:

Franck
18th-January-2006, 05:23 PM
I think we learn moves to learn how to lead and follow. Once we know how to do that, then the moves aren't as important, IMO.
Yes, I would agree with that :nice:

If anyone wants to learn to lead better, they should start by cutting down moves, and playing with a few moves they feel 'in control of'. Having too many moves in your dance repertoire will make it harder to notice the glaring mistakes in your lead.

I would, however, add that we never really stop learning to lead / follow and once we feel pretty good at leading our small (but perfectly formed) collection of moves, we need to learn new moves / patterns to test our leading / following skills. This throws new challenges and will allow you to learn new ways of leading, which until then, had not been required and at the same time, will prevent the boredom effect.

In effect, a better rule might be: 'fewer moves at any particular time' (but updating regularly), rather than just 'few moves'

timbp
19th-January-2006, 03:31 AM
A lot of useful discussion arising from a throwaway, tongue-in-cheek comment.
I agree with all those who say a larger repertoire is good, as it allows one more options to choose moves that fit the music.

And I would say I'm in the "no moves" camp.

Last year I read the remarkable document "Moves, moves, moves" by one Gadget. It had a significant effect on my approach to dancing (I just hope it was a good effect). I became very willing to break moves down, and recombine the parts in different ways.

Although I still think in terms of moves at one level ("I'm going to try that move we learned yesterday"; "It's about time I did that move that makes the girls go 'wow, I like that'"), in the actual execution I am thinking in terms of positions and options ("We are in this position, where can we go?"). In most cases the logical or most comfortable or my learned response to a position is the next step of the specific move, so we do the move. BUt sometimes I see another option, and lead that instead. Sometimes, for whatever reason, we end up in an unexpected position -- rather than thinking "that move went wrong", I am thinking "We are in this position, where can we go?".

Probably 90% of my dancing would be the same core moves (whatever the music, although I hope I dance them differently to different music). But the experimenting I do brings me comments along the lines of "how do you remember so many moves?", or "you've got moves nobody else does", or "I really have to follow when I'm dancing with you". And I think they're all positive comments -- at least the girls keep asking me to dance.

I think what I'll work on now is changing the feel/style of the dance to match the music. that should keep me busy for a few years.

Trousers
19th-January-2006, 05:20 PM
Cruella and Chris A are right, it's not about learning to lead loads of moves, it's about trying to make the dance interesting for your partner and also trying not to bore yourself to death.

Errrmmmm Really???

I was going to disagree strongly about the above phrase but it's not that the phrase is wrong it's that the phrase seems to miss what I see as the point.

Dance is, surely, apart from being a way to get a womans attention for 3 minutes, a way to represent how you (the lead) hear music in your head.

My memory for moves is appalling and I do try and remember the new ones but it all works like a 'Last In Last Out' Stack - as I pop a new move in an old one falls out.
But even with my limited reportoire I hear the music and am almost lead into an action that may be a move or part of a move because it felt right to the music.

I know if I achieve the aim of dancing musically i personally feel like the dance was good.
The ability to dance your reportoire well is paramount to being able to dance musically - cut a move short to save a beat, slow down to add a beat, gauge how long that move will take etc. etc. all so as the music changes the style or move changes in responce.

The word interesting was used - I think it's wrong Interesting is like looking under rocks on the beach
but dancing is looking at the sunset.

Entertaining, consuming, overwhelming they're words that fit I think and on a good day with a following wind i.e. the right track and the right lady I can, even with my limited reportoire, lead a dance that hits those descriptions.

Well thats my feeling/opinion.

oooh another essay - sorry!

ChrisA
19th-January-2006, 06:17 PM
The word interesting was used - I think it's wrong Interesting is like looking under rocks on the beach
but dancing is looking at the sunset.

I think you're limiting dancing by saying that.

I think dancing is (with the right partner) engaging on a lot of levels - physical, emotional, and intellectual too.

That's why it's so nice. If you can't get the "interesting" from dance, and that's ok with you, then fine. But I think it's wrong to deny that others can find it interesting in a mental sense as well as, not instead of, an emotional sense.