PDA

View Full Version : Jive Bar Advanced Class Wed 18 Jan

LMC
16th-January-2006, 11:40 AM
Well, I'm not taxi-ing this Wednesday, so thought I'd go and investigate the Jive Bar Advanced classes (http://www.ceroclondon.com/advanced.htm). Has anyone actually been to one of these classes yet (they only started 4 January) and just been keeping quiet about it? Feedback please? :flower: - or are there arcane rituals that have to be kept deadly secret, like the Freemasons? :D

I'm disappointed that the blurb says that people should have been dancing at least 12 months - as noted on about 360 million other threads, we all know that some people who have been dancing for years are scary. IMO, after about 6-12 weeks, time is a lot less relevant than number of classes attended, natural ability and attention to style/technique.

I'm not sure that I'll be up to the classes - but just finding out what actually happens will be interesting and hopefully give me something to aspire to.

Anyone else fancy coming along?

Tessalicious
16th-January-2006, 12:01 PM
I've been to the freestyle only of these nights, and am not yet sure what to make of them. I was certainly disappointed at the absence of some of the 'advanced dancers' that used to be regulars at JB, and am not quite sure why this has happened.

Since I didn't get there in time for the classes, I couldn't comment on them first-hand. I did hear, however, that although complex moves were involved, they were not much harder than some intermediate classes taught there by the likes of Simon R, except without *enough* focus on advanced technique.

The music (by DJ Annette) definitely had a different feel about it to the average class night. It ranged from some really fast R'n'R type tracks to some unusual latin and swing, and I think was quite a challenge to some of the less-advanced-than-they-think-they-are dancers there. The musical difficulty, I hear, is likely to be maintained at a similar level to encourage the more advanced dancers to attend, and discourage too many early intermediates.

All the advanced Londoners, particularly the forumites that have been hankering for a venue and classes that tailor for them, have pretty much two options with this:

a) go, even if at the moment it isn't exactly what you want it to be, because once you become the core group at this evening you will have much more influence over what will be provided in terms of teaching and music, or
b) don't go, because it isn't perfect yet, and allow it to fall by the wayside along with any possibility that Ceroc will ever bother with a similar night again.

I'd personally suggest that a) would be a good option :grin:

LMC
16th-January-2006, 12:22 PM
... I did hear, however, that although complex moves were involved, they were not much harder than some intermediate classes taught there by the likes of Simon R, except without *enough* focus on advanced technique.
This is exactly what happens in Stevenage advanced classes :( - hoping JB won't be the same...

// music
Sounds like I'd be challenged :blush:

The blurb says that musicality and interpretation will be part of the classes, hope so 'cos it would be dead useful...

other good stuff
Who knows until they've been along to find out?

Having been dancing only 8 months I would actually be almost disappointed if I'm well able for this night. But I'm curious :D

alex
16th-January-2006, 12:23 PM
I was certainly disappointed at the absence of some of the 'advanced dancers' that used to be regulars at JB, and am not quite sure why this has happened.they probably didnt believe it would be open. there are only so many times people will turn up to a venue in the middle of winter to find it closed.

an email saying the "jive bar is definitely on tonight" is like the board of a football club saying "we have complete confidence in our manager".

alex

David Bailey
16th-January-2006, 12:24 PM
Anyone else fancy coming along?
Pencil me in as a definite possible fence-sitter :whistle:

Tessalicious
16th-January-2006, 12:26 PM
they probably didnt believe it would be open. there are only so many times people will turn up to a venue in the middle of winter to find it closed.

an email saying the "jive bar is definitely on tonight" is like the board of a football club saying "we have complete confidence in our manager".

alexYes, I can understand this as being a reason for some of the people that come a long way - but for those who work just down the road (which applies to a lot of JB dancers) and who don't dance anywhere else, haven't they got withdrawal symptoms already? :what:

Rhythm King
16th-January-2006, 12:49 PM
I would like to be able to find out who was teaching on any given week. Some teachers I'll go out of my way to see, whilst others really don't do it for me.

The "turn up on the off chance" mentality had a lot to do with the demise of Franco's Tuesday nights at Ealing, IMHO.

R-K

Tessalicious
16th-January-2006, 12:54 PM
I would like to be able to find out who was teaching on any given week. Some teachers I'll go out of my way to see, whilst others really don't do it for me.

The "turn up on the off chance" mentality had a lot to do with the demise of Franco's Tuesday nights at Ealing, IMHO.

R-KThe teacher for both nights so far has been Saffron (sp?) who also teaches at Fulham I believe. I haven't been to any of her lessons, but I've heard she's good.

But, as I said, if anyone wants this night to continue and be able to pull specific top teachers, they have to support it at the start, or it won't have any appeal for those teachers, who aren't going to put in their time and effort preparing an advanced class which won't be attended and won't be feasible for those who do come.

David Bailey
16th-January-2006, 12:59 PM
Absolutely :yeah: - all that "guest teacher" nonsense :rolleyes:

Having said that, I agree with Tessalicious: if you don't go, you don't know.

In view of that, I'm now upgrading my commitment to a "definite probable fence-sitter" :)

if anyone wants this night to continue and be able to pull specific top teachers
Oo-er missus.

David Franklin
16th-January-2006, 01:05 PM
The teacher for both nights so far has been Saffron (sp?) who also teaches at Fulham I believe. I haven't been to any of her lessons, but I've heard she's good.Saffron used to teach at Clapham (Jongleurs), and from what I recall she is a very good dancer and teacher.

My personal concern is whether it going to be yet another advanced class where the emphasis is all on multiple spins, double-time pretzels, and drops that don't work unless both parties know exactly what they are doing.

[Previous Advanced Class experience: Bryony gets told she's being too cautious on a drop. So, as per teacher's orders, she puts her trust in the lead, and lands on the floor. Consider me unimpressed... :mad: ]

Tessalicious
16th-January-2006, 01:15 PM
My personal concern is whether it going to be yet another advanced class where the emphasis is all on multiple spins, double-time pretzels, and drops that don't work unless both parties know exactly what they are doing. And my personal hope is that as many of the experienced London dancers, such as yourselves, come along and help those who don't know better not do do this, and encourage the teacher(s) to focus on technique.

It may be a pipe dream, but it could be that little push that many of the long-term intermediates need to become safer and more fun to dance with for everyone.

LMC
16th-January-2006, 01:31 PM
Not getting at anyone in particular - but considering the amount of moaning on other threads about lack of advanced provision (including my moaning, and with FAR less justification than most), it would seem a pity to write JB off before giving it a fair shot (although my concern is the same as DF's).

I will post a review of course - but my experience won't count for as much as someone who actually qualifies as advanced under the terms that JB have given!

Sparkles
16th-January-2006, 01:41 PM
Personally I'm extremely uncertain that
a) go, even if at the moment it isn't exactly what you want it to be, because once you become the core group at this evening you will have much more influence over what will be provided in terms of teaching and music is a realistic way of thinking about it - it seems that customers' opinions don't really count for very much.

Being a 'core group' means very little - if you're one of those people who turns up every week then they don't want to know what you think (cos you'll be going and giving them your money anyway), it's the opportunists they want to catch - all the emphasis seems to be getting more 'new' people in and not on providing a really good night that advanced dancers will want to come to agian and again.

Sorry for being defeatist about it.

David Bailey
16th-January-2006, 03:23 PM
Sorry for being defeatist about it.
A bit like herding cats, isn't it, Tess? :whistle:

Sparkles
16th-January-2006, 03:36 PM
There have been so many posts on this forum about what people want from a class-night and from a freestyle.
It's a CEROC forum, but in this case Ceroc seem uninterested.
I wish them every success with their new nights at the Jive Bar and I hope they work out well, if they do start applying some of the key elements of the formula that we have discussed so many times then I, and I'm sure other dancers who feel they might benefit, would be glad to give it a go.

I used to be a Jive Bar regular. Now I go but rarely. There's been a lot of swapping about with the formula at this venue and a lot of the old regulars have gone else-where. It's a shame and I'm sure it can be turned around, but the way they have decided to approach it at present is not appealing to me, I'm afraid.

David Bailey
16th-January-2006, 04:16 PM
It may be a pipe dream, but it could be that little push that many of the long-term intermediates need to become safer and more fun to dance with for everyone.
OK, my final offer: probable definite.

Can't say fairer than that, guv. :innocent:

LMC
16th-January-2006, 04:21 PM
But just think DJ - how virtuous will you feel about being able to be a M.O.G. about the Jive Bar with all the power of actually having been there?

*ducks and runs*

David Bailey
16th-January-2006, 05:20 PM
But just think DJ - how virtuous will you feel about being able to be a M.O.G. about the Jive Bar with all the power of actually having been there?
Pretty virtuous, yes. But then I always feel virtuous.

Come on, people, let's have a bit of enthusiasm here (and yes, that is me saying it) .

It might not be what we want - but who knows, it might be ideal? Let's go crazy and just try it, hmmm?

LMC
16th-January-2006, 05:25 PM
I refer the honorable gentleman up there ^^^ :innocent:

That's assuming they let me in - my Ceroc membership is less than 12 months old, so could be interesting if they are strictly following what they've laid down on the website :sick: - but Jive Bar is walking distance from work, I'll take the risk :D

David Bailey
18th-January-2006, 12:26 PM
Final call - who's up for this tonight?

Come on, you know you want to... :3-line whip icon:

TiggsTours
18th-January-2006, 12:47 PM
I think advanced night at the JB is superb! Mainly because, we are still getting just as many good dancers at Ashtons on a Wednesday as always, but now we have more room on the floor! Last Wednesday was one of the best nights dancing for ages!:D

Rhythm King
18th-January-2006, 02:06 PM
I will come to this soon, but I just seem to be busy with non-dance stuff on Wednesdays at the moment.

I still consider the JB as my "home venue" in spite of going elswhere as, if not, more often.

LMC
19th-January-2006, 01:18 AM
OK, feedback:

Howard taught two good classes (unfortunately I picked a *rotten* track to ask him to dance to later :tears: ) and there were some nice dancers there.

BUT... it was really just "more moves". No teaching on musicality. No "more" style pointers than you'd get in a 'normal' class. Some floorcraft advice (e.g. lasso sway being a good positional move - hope I've got that technical term right). No advice on connection/frame. I had no trouble keeping up with the lesson - despite being four months short of the requisite 12 months experience.

It's not a dahn sarf Stirling unfortunately. So I'm not going to break my heart about missing most of 'em due to taxi-ing or going to my local venue to support even when I'm not on duty.

But it did make a nice change and was a fun night, I'd go again.

cerocmetro
19th-January-2006, 04:08 AM
OK, feedback:

Howard taught two good classes (unfortunately I picked a *rotten* track to ask him to dance to later :tears: ) and there were some nice dancers there.

BUT... it was really just "more moves". No teaching on musicality. No "more" style pointers than you'd get in a 'normal' class. Some floorcraft advice (e.g. lasso sway being a good positional move - hope I've got that technical term right). No advice on connection/frame. I had no trouble keeping up with the lesson - despite being four months short of the requisite 12 months experience.

It's not a dahn sarf Stirling unfortunately. So I'm not going to break my heart about missing most of 'em due to taxi-ing or going to my local venue to support even when I'm not on duty.

Hi LMC
Missed you at Stevenage tonight. we had record numbers, Stevenage just goes strength to strength. Numbers have gone up a lot since you joined us as a Taxi dancer:D

I taught an advanced class tonight, all musicality, slick move transition, got all the men in Stevenage double spinning, some great Latin framed moves and we covered floor craft :whistle: OH and JB played on mean set.

See you next week, I will be there again. :hug:

Adam

David Bailey
19th-January-2006, 09:46 AM
OK, feedback:.
More feedback:

Apparently, it's "guest teachers" each week - which for an advanced class, seems a strange decision, I'd have thought they'd learnt from the problems with Hipsters; if you're looking to attract an advanced crowd to your class, you need to publicize who the teacher will be - generally, this type of dancer won't turn up on spec.

To quote the web page (http://www.ceroclondon.com/advanced.htm), "Two 30 minute classes run at a medium to fast pace covering a wide range of the Ceroc intermediate and advanced moves which is designed to increase your repertoire of moves and help you develop your own style. There will also be emphasis on musicality and technique."
Hmmm, not really; at least not based on that class. It was nice, but there certainly wasn't any emphasis on musicality or technique; just more moves, basically.

There was an interesting hand-switchover thing I'll probably have a play with, but not much else I could use.

Oh, and the music for the class included "Call on me" :rofl:

CeeCee
19th-January-2006, 11:17 AM
For what it’s worth, I definitely enjoyed last night, great to see some of my favourites leaders there, now if we could just encourage the others on my list to come along…

Originally posted by Tessalicious
The music (by DJ Annette) definitely had a different feel about it to the average class night. It ranged from some really fast R'n'R type tracks to some unusual latin and swing,
Never please everyone when it comes to the music but I thought that Annette was on form last night the music was great.

Originally posted by LMC
Who knows until they've been along to find out?
indeed

Originally posted by Rhythm King
This is such a valid point, especially when we consider how ‘particular’ dancers can be about venues, music, DJs and teachers. Of course not all but many of us want details before we venture out for the night.

Originally posted by Tessalicious
But, as I said, if anyone wants this night to continue …
I agree with Tess and Richard so do we have a chicken and egg situation here?

Originally posted by David Franklin
...double-time pretzels...
OMG I really hope not cos now I’m scared and prepared to run in the opposite direction.

Perhaps we could just ban all variations of the problematical pretzel, the abysmal archie and the tiresome tunnel, now that’s genuinely advanced.

TheTramp
19th-January-2006, 11:22 AM
Perhaps we could just ban all variations of the problematical pretzel, the abysmal archie and the tiresome tunnel, now that’s genuinely advanced.

Oh. I quite like some variations of the pretzel. And I like the archie moves too. Guess I'm not that advanced after all :tears:

(Do quite agree about tunnel moves though!!)

LMC
19th-January-2006, 04:58 PM
Thanks Adam, but I think Pat & Gina's efforts since their return have had far more effect on the numbers than me. I shall be there next week, on duty, so no dances for you until after 10 pm, then I'll have at least 3 please :D As for teaching floorcraft - well, just last week I was thinking how much it was needed now the numbers have gone up so much so quickly, so thank you. But the advanced classes at Stevenage so far have all just been more moves. I reckon you could be onto a winner with replication of Franck's Stirling model - even DJ will drive 30 minutes, and that's all it is to Stevenage from Norf Landun... (Oh, and Jon Brett's smooth toons as well :drool: )

G'wan, you know you want to - PS - ANYONE: if Adam does do a special class like the Sunday Stirling ones - even if only occasionally - then I will provide an actual traditional car-driving taxi service from Stevenage train station to and from the venue. Can't say fairer than that.

I started the thread, I'll hijack it if I want to :na:

Anyway, back to the plot: Agree that it was nice to hear some different music from normal at the Jive Bar. But more slower tracks would have been nice - EXCEPT Tango After Midnight (because as Howard can confirm, it's not MJ-able and my salsa is just not up to it, let alone tango*)

I don't have a problem with the "guest" teacher approach as you can learn different things from different teachers. But a regular "rota" and advertising who is teaching in advance might solve people's desire to have an idea "what" they are getting.

*signs up to CeeCee's banning campaign and sneaks "duck" moves onto the list*

*Hey, I tango-ed a thread before DJ :clap:

David Bailey
19th-January-2006, 05:23 PM
EXCEPT Tango After Midnight (because as Howard can confirm, it's not MJ-able and my salsa is just not up to it, let alone tango*)
You know, that was the first tango I've done at MJ which didn't feel right? Dunno, but the tempo didn't work for me. It certainly had nothing to do with my partner, the :drool: Santana.

Oh well, I suppose it was bound to happen at some point. :sad:

Tessalicious
23rd-January-2006, 04:09 PM
Just a brief update on this one.

I'm still interested in the opinions of those forumites that can be bothered to try this night out - as are the people behind the running of the night, believe it or not.

I probably won't make it this week myself, but if anyone dares to give it a try, and then wants to make comments about what was good, bad, in need of improvement etc, I will quite happily pass them on. But you can't judge a book by its cover, much less by a vague description of the colour of the cover.

The bottom line is, any company has to have customers - this night will stop being targetted at advanced dancers, and certainly won't improve, if those advanced dancers, including the well-known bods on this forum, don't take advantage of it. Use it or lose it.

LMC
23rd-January-2006, 04:17 PM
... There will also be emphasis on musicality and technique.

My immediate reaction was "WHEN?". Just in case there was and I blinked and missed it, there wasn't enough on the night I went to make me want to give up taxi-ing and change my regular Wednesday venue unfortunately. Sorry.

I hope to be back on occasion, to keep "checking" whether I get more out of the classes - I certainly enjoyed the freestyle when I went. But for me, there needs to be more than just moves.

Mie
24th-January-2006, 01:35 PM
I hope to be back on occasion, to keep "checking" whether I get more out of the classes - I certainly enjoyed the freestyle when I went.

I certainly do hope you keep coming back, even if you can only make it from time to time. This format is new to the Ceroc teachers as well as us Ceroc dancers so it's hard for them to know exactly how to pitch the class too until it's been going for a while (I know this as I demoed with Howard last week and we had a long talk about what level we were going to put the class at and what it was going to contain). There's no use in the teachers teaching moves or technique aspects if the people in the class aren't ready for it.

My advice is... stick at it everyone. Go every week or check back from time to time. I believe as time goes on the teachers will get better and better at knowing exactly how far to take the classes to make sure most people get what they are saying but still find it challenging.

Lee
24th-January-2006, 02:11 PM
I spotted this in November :blush:, see thread below:

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7027

But ended up demoing on these nights so didn't go in the end.

I would consider going but realistically it's the otheside of London and i will probably stick with my local. :whistle:

Lee

Howard
24th-January-2006, 04:02 PM
:rofl:
OK, feedback:

It has been very helpful to read the feedback about the advanced classes at the Jive Bar, it is only through the forum or by chatting after the class that teachers can get a better idea about what people want.

As Mie has already said, this is a new idea and we wanted to start with something more 'move based' to get a feel for the overall level and indeed get some feedback like just this this.

LMC, We didn't discuss connection & frame for example because we simply didn't do any moves related to this, in this particular class. We usually cover frame in a more 'Latin' based class and there will be several classes like this coming up as well as Blues:waycool: I might add. We did however do fewer moves and spent a great deal more time on detail offering, we hope more style and technique points than you usually find in regular classes, oh and 'positional move' was right.

The fact is, it is a difficult balance to get right, many dancers do want to learn more advanced moves, in fact the response to the last week’s class was very positive. Other dancers might like to concentrate more on technique but a half hour class is not a great deal of time for this. I might also add that this is why we are offering a vast range of specialist workshops, which will focus on many of the issues discussed in this thread.

As far as the advanced classes are concerned, we will be looking to offer something different each time, they will include floor craft, spins, style (for Ladies and Men), communication, tension, frame, footwork, and more importantly, a great deal of fun! :wink: :cheers:
LMC, I'm glad you enjoyed the classes and we did get a rotten track to dance to - although overall I thought Annette did a great set.
My next class at the Jive Bar will be on the 15th Feb, looking forward to seeing you there, next time we'll get the track right (hopefully).:cheers:
Howard

TheTramp
24th-January-2006, 04:08 PM
:LMC, We didn't discuss connection & frame for example because we simply didn't do any moves related to this, in this particular class. We usually cover frame in a more 'Latin' based class and there will be several classes like this coming up as well as Blues:waycool: I might add.

The fact is, it is a difficult balance to get right, many dancers do want to learn more advanced moves

Hiya Howard....

Don't see why things such as frame have to be covered in Latin based classes really. It's just as important in any style of dancing (IMHO).

Will totally agree with you however.... I get the idea from people that I've taught, and from what I've heard, and read (elsewhere of course), the majority of people who want an 'advanced' class, just want more moves, allegedly more difficult than what can be taught in 'intermediate' classes - ie. dips, drops, arm tangly things etc. They aren't that worried about technique, connection, frame, lead & follow etc. All the stuff that all the people on the forum are more concerned about. :rolleyes:

I imagine that it'd be very hard to strike a balance between keeping those people happy, and actually turning them into advanced dancers! :rolleyes:

Lee
24th-January-2006, 04:12 PM
Hiya Howard....

Don't see why things such as frame have to be covered in Latin based classes really. It's just as important in any style of dancing (IMHO).

Will totally agree with you however.... I get the idea from people that I've taught, and from what I've heard, and read (elsewhere of course), the majority of people who want an 'advanced' class, just want more moves, allegedly more difficult than what can be taught in 'intermediate' classes - ie. dips, drops, arm tangly things etc. They aren't that worried about technique, connection, frame, lead & follow etc. All the stuff that all the people on the forum are more concerned about. :rolleyes:

I imagine that it'd be very hard to strike a balance between keeping those people happy, and actually turning them into advanced dancers! :rolleyes:

:yeah:

I would like the odd 'great' move, but mainly stuff on technique, connection, frame, lead & follow etc.

Great points raised above. :clap:

Lee

David Bailey
24th-January-2006, 04:33 PM
I certainly do hope you keep coming back, even if you can only make it from time to time. This format is new to the Ceroc teachers as well as us Ceroc dancers so it's hard for them to know exactly how to pitch the class too until it's been going for a while
I did the class last week, and it was nice - but I agree, it suffers from a lack of definition. But then, the term "advanced" itself suffers from a lack of definition within Ceroc, so what can you do?

The definition on the website says:

This night has been developed for those dancers that have been Cerocing for many years and now need some new challenges.

This night is only suitable for people who have been dancing for at least 12 months and are very comfortable in the freestyle.

Two 30 minute classes run at a medium to fast pace covering a wide range of the Ceroc intermediate and advanced moves which is designed to increase your repertoire of moves and help you develop your own style. There will also be emphasis on musicality and technique.

Frankly, this seems like an impossible definition - all things to all people. And it's almost inconceivable to me that someone who's been dancing 12 months is "advanced" - but then, as no-one knows what "advanced" means anyway, that's only my opinion.

I also think it's impossible to simultaneously cover "a wide range of moves" and provide "emphasis on musicality and technique" - you can do one of the other, but not both, especially in 30 minutes.

So I sympathise with the teachers. But, as a paying ( :tears: ) punter, I'll only return if I'm sure the class fits what I want.

I enjoyed the class, especially as I was standing next to ESG to make me look good ( :) ), and that switchover thing was interesting, but it didn't really stretch me or make me think.

LMC
24th-January-2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the feedback Howard and Mie :clap:

As an MJ-er of only 8 months standing, who has been described as "mid-intermediate" :rofl: (happy with that while hoping to upgrade given time and effort!), I will be quite frank and say that I was actually disappointed not to feel more challenged by the advanced class.

I also think it's impossible to simultaneously cover "a wide range of moves" and provide "emphasis on musicality and technique" - you can do one of the other, but not both, especially in 30 minutes.
:yeah:

I like the idea of varying the teachers to get different "input"/styles each week, but in that case, please can teachers and classes be advertised?

I agree the set overall was very good - nice to hear some more unusual tracks but more slow stuff would have been nice :drool:

El Salsero Gringo
24th-January-2006, 05:41 PM
... I will be quite frank and say that I was actually disappointed not to feel more challenged by the advanced class...
You can't possibly believe that a "challenging" class is simply one where the moves are so long or contorted that you can't walk them through by the end of the class, can you?

To make the moves that we did in that class look good would take a great deal of further work for everyone who was there. The fact that we all picked up the skeleton of them (left arm here, right arm there... turn, return etc.) before the class was over was because they were clearly taught. Now put in a couple of hours of practice (spread over some weeks) on each of those moves and make them look and feel just right; then you would have more credibility in claiming not to have been challenged. The fact remains that not a single woman in that class was performing those moves to anything like a good standard after all of 10 minutes practice - unsurprisingly - and I'd probably bet that no man was leading it properly either. (DJ excepted, naturally.)

David Bailey
24th-January-2006, 05:54 PM
I'd probably bet that no man was leading it properly either. (DJ excepted, naturally.)
Christ no, I was making a right hash of the changeover. Probably because I've got short arms or something. It's a very smooth changeover, and the way Howard and Marie showed it looked lovely.

I'm not actually sure what I want from an advanced class, I kind of have a vague image of a single lovely move being dissected and analysed - but that might drive them away in droves, so I dunno...

LMC
24th-January-2006, 06:07 PM
"Absolutely not" to ESG's first point and agree with the rest.

But as someone who has recently been converted to Monday nights at Kent House (that which shall not be named... :whistle: ) - the moves in last night's class were relatively simple, but focussing on walking properly and distributing my weight correctly to maintain or improve the connection with my partner were extremely challenging.

There was a first move variation with an a/c turn just after the 'turn in' in the intermediate class - ironically *that* was the only move I had severe problems with that evening. Not in terms of following the lead from his POV, but in terms of following correctly for my 'comfort'/ease of transition to the next move. I constantly felt like I was on the wrong foot for the a/c turn, don't remember any advice on how to "correct" this and didn't feel like it was an environment conducive to asking during the class Yes, I should have asked after but was too shy to, and that's my problem - but the point is that advice on the weight distribution was not given in the class.

DJ - you really really need to "just visit" :whistle: (what you describe was exactly what was happening last night and I loved it)

El Salsero Gringo
24th-January-2006, 06:38 PM
...and didn't feel like it was an environment conducive to asking during the class Yes, I should have asked after but was too shy to...Here's a thought - how much difference do you think it would make to *that* if the class was taught from the floor, rather than from the stage?

LMC
24th-January-2006, 06:47 PM
Although ESG evidently understood me, I just realised that my post is not entirely clear, sorry. The first move variation I was describing was taught last Weds during the JB intermediate class.

Having the teacher closer to the class feels like it would be easier to ask questions from the floor without feeling like you were heckling. But I think the main issue with an environment conducive to "questions from the floor" is numbers - if there are 50-60 odd people in a class, then I'd feel like I was holding everyone else up - again, my problem, not the teacher's - but I didn't notice anyone else asking questions from the floor either, so guess it's not an uncommon problem. Although it would (IMO) give the lesson a more "workshop" feel , I'm not sure whether teaching from the floor is viable at JB, given the numbers. Would everyone be able to see? Would be nice if a teacher gave it a go.

David Bailey
24th-January-2006, 06:52 PM
DJ - you really really need to "just visit" :whistle: (what you describe was exactly what was happening last night and I loved it)
I was spending an hour learning how to pivot last night. There were four of us in the class. I didn't get all of it, it was very difficult, but I got enough. Oh, and it was in North London.

:dance snob icon: (we really need one of those BTW). :na:

Mie
25th-January-2006, 02:33 PM
There was a first move variation with an a/c turn just after the 'turn in' in the intermediate class - ironically *that* was the only move I had severe problems with that evening. Not in terms of following the lead from his POV, but in terms of following correctly for my 'comfort'/ease of transition to the next move. I constantly felt like I was on the wrong foot for the a/c turn, don't remember any advice on how to "correct" this and didn't feel like it was an environment conducive to asking during the class Yes, I should have asked after but was too shy to, and that's my problem - but the point is that advice on the weight distribution was not given in the class.

Please... next time come and ask the teacher or the demo after the class if you don't feel like asking in the class. The teachers try to fit as many tips as they can in to the class but are unable to forsee all of the difficulties the attendees will face. So... please come and ask and we'd love to help out (and then the teacher also knows for next time what aspect of the move the class attendees struggle with and can spend some more time explaining that aspect the next time they teach that particular move and not say something else which the average dancer thinks is obvious anyway). The more feedback given to teachers, demos and organisers the better the classes can become.

Tessalicious
8th-March-2006, 01:08 PM
Just wondered if any of the powers that be (or anyone in the know, for that matter) can tell me who will be teaching the class at the Advanced night tonight?

DavidB
8th-March-2006, 09:17 PM
Just wondered if any of the powers that be (or anyone in the know, for that matter) can tell me who will be teaching the class at the Advanced night tonight?
A bit too late (because they start about now), but it is Will & Kate.

LMC
14th-March-2006, 06:30 PM
This Wednesday 15th March 2006 is the last ‘Intermediate/Advanced’ night, and this Thursday 16th March 2006 is the last ‘Beginners Only’ night.

From WED 22 MAR 2006, Jive Bar on Wednesday reverts back to a normal weekday night with the standard beginners/intermediate format.

There will no longer be a Ceroc night at the Jive Bar on a Thursday evening.
Shame.

Have e-mailed back suggesting that Ceroc London survey those who did attend to ask whether their expectations were met - perhaps this would help design an Advanced class which could run for longer.

Of course, it could have been cancelled for any number of other reasons :shrug:

El Salsero Gringo
14th-March-2006, 06:49 PM
Shame.Really? How many times did you go?

LMC
14th-March-2006, 09:18 PM
Only once, because I taxi on Wednesdays - if it had been a truly advanced class then I probably wouldn't have been up to it :rolleyes: - but if I was, and it was what many of us were hoping for (see upthread) then I would have turned in my taxi T. I know I only taxi fortnightly, but there wasn't enough incentive to go to JB - evidently I wasn't the only one. Still a shame that it's gone after such a short time tho' - 2 months maybe didn't give it a chance to develop.