PDA

View Full Version : Dancing on Ice

Lynn
14th-January-2006, 09:14 PM
Anyone else see this? They seem to have lifted a lot of the format straight from SCD - professional- celeb partnerships, 10 couples, judges scores rank them, then viewers vote can change the order (though there seems to be a 'skate off' later, presumably between the bottom 2).

I liked seeing 'Captain Jack' skating!:waycool:

Daisy Chain
15th-January-2006, 05:19 PM
Just watched the video. Thought it was a fab show (Torvill and Dean are Gods). Who cares if it's a SCD rip-off for the format? It's so nice to see any form of dancing on telly.

The right couple were voted out and the judges (so far) are not from the Simon Cowell school of judging. It's a pity that we lose a couple each week. I'd much rather see all the couples stay in until the final with a week by week accumulator scoreboard.

So far, my vote goes to Bonnie.

Daisy

(An Icy Little Flower)

Zebra Woman
15th-January-2006, 05:48 PM
From what I saw I was really impressed with this show. I didn't particularly like the compare lady compared to Cat Deeley but I do prefer the more serious approach they seem to have taken.

Ice dancing is a very demanding sport, I don't believe anyone is going to get carried along very far by any audience sympathy (?:devil: ) vote...Or if they do they'll probably end up breaking something:sick: .

I didn't see it all but from what I saw the starting points were very uneven Bonnie Langford, John Barrowman and David Seaman seemed to have a very distinct advantage at the start. Andi Peters...well...very worrying.:sick:

I would like to know what grade the celebrities' skating was at when they started their training. It's a simple series of tests after all...

Yet again the men seem to have the toughest job. But they don't get swung around by their legs and their head banged onto the ice do they? How brave was Bonnie Langford? :worthy: . And she's over forty you know!! :really:

ZW

Daisy Chain
15th-January-2006, 05:54 PM
And she's over forty you know!! :really:

Over 40 and still capable of movement. Shocking!

Daisy

(An Elderly Little FLower)

marty_baby
15th-January-2006, 08:38 PM
Hiya All,

Has anyone been watching "dancing on ice"?

Wow....! Those fantastic poses...that magical gliding over the ice ...and those imaginative lifts...

Are there any ice shows on worth going to? In real life it would be even more admazing I reckon!

Cheers
Martin

bigdjiver
15th-January-2006, 09:20 PM
Hiya All,

Has anyone been watching "dancing on ice"?

Wow....! Those fantastic poses...that magical gliding over the ice ...and those imaginative lifts...

Are there any ice shows on worth going to? In real life it would be even more admazing I reckon!

Cheers
MartinI love those lifts too, and would love to try a few of them that could be integrated into dance, but certainly not the one where Bonny bumped her head.

Lynn
16th-January-2006, 12:12 AM
Martin, yep, saw it last night - see thread http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7465 (once again have not remembered how to do the nice links :blush: ).

Lynn
16th-January-2006, 12:26 AM
Who cares if it's a SCD rip-off for the format? I didn't say it was a Bad Thing. Just that it was very obvious - except of course minus the Brucie jokes...:rolleyes:

And the 'skate off' between the bottom two couples after the judges and public scores gives the judges a bit more control over who they keep in the competition.

Some of the lifts were very good, esp since a fall from there would mean landing, at some speed, on hard ice. Ouch!

marty_baby
16th-January-2006, 01:02 AM
...ah... thats where posts like these goes! :na:

Thanks... I'll go there then! hhhrrrpppmmmffffffff.....! :wink:

marty_baby
16th-January-2006, 01:05 AM
I'd recommend anyone who has the opportunity to watch this show - it really is pretty spectacular some of the moves they pull! :)

I was literally flicking channels and came across this by chance!

David Franklin
16th-January-2006, 09:23 AM
I love those lifts too, and would love to try a few of them that could be integrated into dance, but certainly not the one where Bonny bumped her head.The problem with taking lifts from ice-skating to Modern Jive is that many of them are essentially static poses, with motion coming from the base gliding along the rink in a way that is not possible on a dance floor. But without that motion, it typically looks much too static to work as dance.

Lynn
16th-January-2006, 11:30 AM
The problem with taking lifts from ice-skating to Modern Jive is that many of them are essentially static poses, with motion coming from the base gliding along the rink in a way that is not possible on a dance floor. But without that motion, it typically looks much too static to work as dance.Not that I know what I'm talking about, and I know you do David, but I also thought that. And not only looking static if done off the rink, but wouldn't some of them - eg where it involves the man spinning (eg the one where Bonnie hit her head) be harder to do without the momentum of the spin on the ice?

David Franklin
16th-January-2006, 11:46 AM
Not that I know what I'm talking about, and I know you do David, but I also thought that. And not only looking static if done off the rink, but wouldn't some of them - eg where it involves the man spinning (eg the one where Bonnie hit her head) be harder to do without the momentum of the spin on the ice?I think that move is borderline - a big guy with a small girl could do it. As far as I know, it is also illegal in skating competition. The other "classic" banned move is called a Detroiter; it's basically a close-grip overhand bar lift, spun really fast, and then one hand removed - and I've not seen anyone manage it without skates!

Actually, thinking about it, I'm pretty sure the sit-lift at the end of Bonnie's routine is a banned move as well. As far as I'm aware, any lift where the man holds the girl below the hip is against the rules for pairs skating. (And it would be banned under dance skating rules for being too high).

Lynn
16th-January-2006, 11:53 AM
Actually, thinking about it, I'm pretty sure the sit-lift at the end of Bonnie's routine is a banned move as well. As far as I'm aware, any lift where the man holds the girl below the hip is against the rules for pairs skating. (And it would be banned under dance skating rules for being too high).I presume they are allowed to break the rules then, as they weren't marked down for it that I could see (wheras in SCD they did mark them down for lifts).

Isn't the 'dance' judge one that was on SDF last year? I wonder if he is marking from slightly different criteria than the others?

Trish
16th-January-2006, 03:53 PM
I presume they are allowed to break the rules then, as they weren't marked down for it that I could see (wheras in SCD they did mark them down for lifts).

Isn't the 'dance' judge one that was on SDF last year? I wonder if he is marking from slightly different criteria than the others?

I loved this and quite agree with you about John Barrowman (Captain Jack) being :waycool: - :drool: . I saw him in "Anything Goes" years ago with Elaine Page, and thought he was gorgeous then, but he seems to be on everything at the moment, he was on the BBC1 musicals programme at the same time as the Skating (I recorded one and watched the other). I would agree though that he has an advantage, he's skated before, but he's also danced. Having said that, from catching then end of the ITV2 show, he's apparently dancing to Amarillo next time - shame - I can't see him looking quite so cool doing that!

Yes, the middle judge was the one from SDF - I don't like him much, he's a bit insulting to people, and doesn't seem to be giving anyone any encouragement. I know he said he was judging strictly from a dance perspective, but I'd like to see him trying some of that stuff on ICE.

I think everyone on this show was fantastic really, I'm sure I couldn't have done that in 8 weeks. Andi Peters should go out next though, he was worse than Tamara; and Ganyor, who was the other girl in the bottom two, was so much better when she had to do the "skate off".

Lynn
16th-January-2006, 09:00 PM
I loved this and quite agree with you about John Barrowman (Captain Jack) being :waycool: - :drool: . I saw him in "Anything Goes" years ago with Elaine Page, and thought he was gorgeous then, but he seems to be on everything at the moment, he was on the BBC1 musicals programme at the same time as the Skating (I recorded one and watched the other). I saw a little bit of that - (I think before Dancing on Ice started) and didn't realise who it was at first! Yes he has an advantage, but then so does the guy from The Bill - didn't he do ice hockey?

...and Ganyor, who was the other girl in the bottom two, was so much better when she had to do the "skate off".I think her main problem the first time was lack of confidence, and perhaps knowing she was better than Tamara, who she was against in the skate off, gave her that little boost to give a better performance.

Trish
17th-January-2006, 12:57 PM
I saw a little bit of that - (I think before Dancing on Ice started) and didn't realise who it was at first! Yes he has an advantage, but then so does the guy from The Bill - didn't he do ice hockey?
I think her main problem the first time was lack of confidence, and perhaps knowing she was better than Tamara, who she was against in the skate off, gave her that little boost to give a better performance.

It's David Seaman that did Ice Hocky - he's a good skater, but has no talent for dance! He was also in the BBC Christmas skating thing a year ago, so he's done some of this stuff before. Don't know the guy from the Bill really, but he seemed good.

Yes, I agree about Gaynor/Tamara - she's bound to get better now I would think.

Lynn
17th-January-2006, 01:01 PM
It's David Seaman that did Ice Hocky - he's a good skater, but has no talent for dance! He was also in the BBC Christmas skating thing a year ago, so he's done some of this stuff before. Don't know the guy from the Bill really, but he seemed good. Oops yes so it was!