PDA

View Full Version : Hangover cures

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
13th-January-2006, 12:01 AM
If I get a hangover it's not usually that bad, but if anyone has any wee tricks that they wanna share for anyone on the forum post them please :flower:

Ash x

LMC
13th-January-2006, 12:14 AM
Don't get drunk!

If you do get drunk, at least make it never so drunk that you forget to neck a couple of pints of water before going to bed - hangovers are mainly caused by dehydration.

Avoid dark drinks (red wine, darker spirits) - they will give you worse hangovers than colourless or light drinks owing to tannins & stuff (I'll let one of the clever people be more specific).

Line your stomach before a drinking session - milk is a popular one, I believe bread also works.

Go easy on the salty snacks - some are good to replace salts, but too many will make you drink more and therefore get drunker.

Whitebeard
13th-January-2006, 12:23 AM
If you do get drunk, at least make it never so drunk that you forget to neck a couple of pints of water before going to bed.

Then you're going to wake at some unearthly hour bostin' for a pee !!!

LMC
13th-January-2006, 12:25 AM
Then you're going to wake at some unearthly hour bostin' for a pee !!!
Not necessarily if you're really drunk... I've been there :blush:

TheTramp
13th-January-2006, 12:33 AM
Don't get drunk!
:yeah:

That's the best advice!!

ducasi
13th-January-2006, 12:35 AM
:eek:

I recommend a good hot cup of tea... Works a treat for me... (Just need to get someone to make it as the lights are too bright and I can't see the kettle...)

ShinyWeeStar
13th-January-2006, 12:45 AM
I recommend a good hot cup of tea... Works a treat for me... (Just need to get someone to make it as the lights are too bright and I can't see the kettle...)
Lol! One night after my old flatmate had been out drinking he tried to make a cup of tea and a bacon sandwich...problem was, he was too drunk to stand up so was trying to do it while crawling about on his knees! Dread to think what could've happened if I hadn't taken over... I earned the title of "best flatmate ever" for that :rofl:

Whitebeard
13th-January-2006, 12:49 AM

Somewhere, I heard, ladies bladders are generally weaker than mens'. But then, as the years go by, along comes the dreaded prostrate and the situation becomes quite fraught. After years of anxiety and denial, a simple rebore cured me; but others are not so fortunate.

WittyBird
13th-January-2006, 12:52 AM
Hair of the dog!
what makes you ill makes you better

If you forget to drink water or line your stomach cos you got into 'clever' mode and ' i dont get hangovers' then all you do the next day is have 1 drink you will then be fine :cheers:

'pass the DP patsy '

SilverFox
13th-January-2006, 01:25 AM
Berocca, lots of water, glass of Coke, substantial fry-up, Nurofen,

..... oh and a good shag!

:cheers:

McJester
13th-January-2006, 01:35 AM
Iru Bru, big fry up and a couple of asprin is my fav

Hair of the dog is good, but only if the hangover isn't that bad..

Or else there is the real kill or cure approach of a half pizza supper out of Henry Heallys - used to work when I was a student, well mostly anyway:D

Peter

WittyBird
13th-January-2006, 04:32 AM

Yeah cos a poor one would make the hangover worse :rofl:

Cruella
13th-January-2006, 08:57 AM

I see that normal service is resumed then. :wink: Glad you're feeling better Silverfox.:whistle:

fletch
13th-January-2006, 09:16 AM
I never found a cure for my hangovers would be so bad I couldn't even keep a sip of water down:sick: I would loose 2 days throwing up, alcohol didn't suit me, no more:clap:

:flower:

David Bailey
13th-January-2006, 09:25 AM
Hmmm, never thought of dancing your hangover off... Good tip :innocent:

Cruella
13th-January-2006, 09:26 AM
I drink, but don't get falling down drunk. Therefore i never get hangovers. I usually stick to one type of drink, mostly Southern Comfort and drink lots of water when i've had enough alcohol.

Cruella
13th-January-2006, 09:31 AM
He is, he's horizontal dancing! The question is, does he have these shags when he's still drunkl If so, then maybe it's just a good shag in his opinion.:rolleyes: Just like we think we can dance better when we're drunk.:wink:

David Bailey
13th-January-2006, 09:36 AM
He is, he's horizontal dancing! The question is, does he have these shags when he's still drunkl If so, then maybe it's just a good shag in his opinion.:rolleyes: Just like we think we can dance better when we're drunk.:wink:
*holds head in hands*

Subtlety is a lost art... :tears:

ducasi
13th-January-2006, 09:40 AM
I've got a bit of a hangover this morning... Any offers of a dance? :flower:

David Bailey
13th-January-2006, 09:41 AM
Do you know how to shag then? :whistle:

WittyBird
13th-January-2006, 09:41 AM

Hey DJ get your coat you've pulled :rolleyes:

WittyBird
13th-January-2006, 09:42 AM

I give it until 9-30 before this is upstairs :what:

Cruella
13th-January-2006, 09:45 AM
*holds head in hands*

Subtlety is a lost art... :tears:
You really don't know me DJ! I don't do subtle.:D

Tessalicious
13th-January-2006, 09:46 AM
Just to raise the tone and bring it back on topic (sorry, sorry), I've heard that pineapple is a very good hangover cure - never had to try it personally but I have it on good authority.

Pistachio ice-cream is similarly reputed, for some reason, but I would guess you probably don't have much of that easily accessible.

David Bailey
13th-January-2006, 09:47 AM
I give it until 9-30 before this is upstairs :what:
Yeah, 'coz of all the abuse if Ducasi decides he wants to go Carolina (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Shag)but I stick with Collegiate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collegiate_Shag)- could get nasty. :eek:

David Bailey
13th-January-2006, 09:51 AM
Just to raise the tone and bring it back on topic (sorry, sorry), I've heard that pineapple is a very good hangover cure - never had to try it personally but I have it on good authority.

Pistachio ice-cream is similarly reputed, for some reason, but I would guess you probably don't have much of that easily accessible.
Oh, OK then... :sulk icon:

There isn't a hangover cure - to quote this article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangover#Cures):

In a review of the medical literature on hangover cures by researchers led by Max Pittler of the Peninsular Medical School at Exeter University, they reported in the 24 December 2005 issue of the British Medical Journal the following conclusion: "No compelling evidence exists to suggest that any conventional or complementary intervention is effective for preventing or treating alcohol hangover. The most effective way to avoid the symptoms of alcohol induced hangover is to practise abstinence or moderation."

(Yay, three Wikipedia quotes before breakfast :clap: )

ducasi
13th-January-2006, 09:56 AM
Well I quite like to dance to "Shaggin' the Night Away" by The Showmen. Does that count? :nice:

Lory
13th-January-2006, 10:17 AM

I can picture it now...

it's the morning after...

Vince is adorned in a fluffy white towelling dressing gown, all the above ingredients are thoughtfully presented on a tray and lovingly placed on the pillow, next to his latest conquest. ;)

She gently lifts her head and peers at the contents through squinting eyes and tries her best to smile:sick: :o , then he turns to her and say's, that's only half the cure baby....;)

What you really need is a DAMN GOOD .......!!:devil:

SilverFox
13th-January-2006, 10:40 AM
I can picture it now...

Vince is adorned in a fluffy white towelling dressing gown, all the above ingredients are thoughtfully presented on a tray and lovingly placed on the pillow, next to his latest conquest. ;)

She gently lifts her head and peers at the contents through squinting eyes and tries her best to smile:sick: :o , then he turns to her and say's, that's only half the cure baby....;)

What you really need is a DAMN GOOD .......!!:devil:Wow, it's just like being there for real. :worthy:

how d'you know I've got a fluffy white bathrobe?... baby...

SilverFox
13th-January-2006, 10:51 AM
If so, then maybe it's just a good shag in his opinion.:rolleyes: Just like we think we can dance better when we're drunk.:wink:You could always ask one of my former rummagees for a performance critique ....AGAIN!! :really: :sick:

However according to your signature - and I quote: "Southern Comfort in hand, body thoroughly used up, totally warn out and screaming.............'WHAT A RIDE!!'" it appears you already know the truth....

:devil:

Sparkles
13th-January-2006, 11:01 AM
I can picture it now...

What you really need is a DAMN GOOD .......!!:devil:
I'm just wondering, do you really have to get drunk first to be fortunate enough to experience this? :innocent:

LMC
13th-January-2006, 11:03 AM
I'm just surprised that he doesn't point the conquest in the direction of the fluffy white towelling dressing gown and tell her to get breakfast - you're obviously more of a gentleman than I thought SF.

Sparkles
13th-January-2006, 11:19 AM
I'm just surprised that the conquest isn't leaping out of bed in the direction of the fluffy white dressing gown for the privilege of providing the SF with his breakfast and hangover cure!

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
13th-January-2006, 03:29 PM
Oooh this thread has got so more interesting than I thought it would :whistle: Just for the record I never have that much more to drink, I'm usually looking after a certain friend of mine whenever we are out. And thanks for the advice, normally it's just fizzy juice, and ready salted crisps, but i'll try some of your suggestions too. x

Cruella
13th-January-2006, 04:26 PM
You could always ask one of my former rummagees for a performance critique ....AGAIN!! :really: :sick:

However according to your signature - and I quote: "Southern Comfort in hand, body thoroughly used up, totally warn out and screaming.............'WHAT A RIDE!!'" it appears you already know the truth....

:devil:
I thought you were going to quote this part of my signature. :whistle: It's better to offer a hand than point a finger and laugh.

linny lou!
13th-January-2006, 05:17 PM
Irun-bru and salt and vinegar crisps! genius!:clap:

stewart38
13th-January-2006, 05:20 PM
I found a bottle of white wine in the morning helps

Just dont answer the phone too early when you get to work :blush:

Based on a true story

Sparkles
2nd-February-2006, 04:36 PM
Based on a true story
So... tell us the story...