PDA

View Full Version : Outraged of Surrey

Barry Shnikov
11th-January-2006, 09:49 AM
Elsewhere, Gadget wrote:

It has been estimated that up to 20% of the world's population has some form of dyslexia, with around 5% having it to a serious degree. Often that manifests itself in "word blindness" which can make it next to impossible to learn how to spell consistently.

It appears that psychologists are now coming round to the view that there is no such thing as dyslexia.

What do people think about that?

{Ducks}

El Salsero Gringo
11th-January-2006, 09:52 AM
Elsewhere, Gadget wrote:

It appears that psychologists are now coming round to the view that there is no such thing as dyslexia.

{Ducks}Do you want to back that up with some external references?

Lory
11th-January-2006, 10:00 AM
Elsewhere, Gadget wrote:

{Ducks}
As a mother of 2, one being a daughter who excels at English and the other, a son, who IS Dyslexic, I have no doubt in my mind, that the statement is utter B****cks:angry:

David Bailey
11th-January-2006, 10:14 AM
Do you want to back that up with some external references?
It was in a Channel 4 documentary, "The Dyslexia Myth" a month or so back.

But let's face it, Channel 4 at the moment is run by such a bunch of w***ers that the phrase "it was in a Channel 4 documentary" seems pretty much equivalent to "it's a sensationalist lie".

Remember, these are the people responsible for Big Brother and Space Cadets, and that's just in the last month...

Anyway:
- BBC article here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4510516.stm).
- Response from Dyslexia Institute here (http://www.dyslexia-inst.org.uk/responsetoch4TV.htm)

ducasi
11th-January-2006, 10:15 AM
Elsewhere, Gadget wrote ... No, I wrote that! Name-dyslexia?

El Salsero Gringo
11th-January-2006, 10:28 AM
So, do we debate with dyslexia-deniers, or are they just evil?

LMC
11th-January-2006, 10:47 AM
So, do we debate with dyslexia-deniers...
Only if their posts are spelt and punctuated correctly.

*ducks and runs*

TiggsTours
11th-January-2006, 11:09 AM
Why is dyslexia such a hard word to spell?

Seriously, I'd heard about this a while back, I think its disgraceful! People with dyslexia have to fight so hard in life as it is, with the negative thoughts that this sort of thing could raise about the condition, it only makes things harder for them.

Andy McGregor
11th-January-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm outraged that Gadget has used the incidence of dyslexia to defend his lazyness in posting with consistently bad spelling. It is insulting to those suffering from the condition.

Gadget has proved that he can spell correctly. He even had a little spelling joke in his post http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7429 where he used "slop" instead of slip :rofl: This means that Gadget is posting with bad spelling for some other reason. It can't be because he doesn't have the time. Some of his posts must have taken hours to compose.

David Bailey
11th-January-2006, 11:26 AM
So, do we debate with dyslexia-deniers, or are they just evil?
Well, they're employed by Channel 4 - what do you think?

ducasi
11th-January-2006, 12:14 PM
I'm outraged that Gadget has used the incidence of dyslexia to defend his lazyness in posting with consistently bad spelling. It is insulting to those suffering from the condition. He didn't. It was me that started talking about dyslexia...

He even had a little spelling joke in his post http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7429 where he used "slop" instead of slip :rofl: He used "slap", rather than "slip", which was my joke originally, but seems to have gained some currency across the forum. :nice:

ducasi
11th-January-2006, 12:17 PM
Why is dyslexia such a hard word to spell? Never mind why dyslexia is hard to spell, why is "your" or "their" hard to spell? The English language is littered with words that are not spelt in a logical manner, but have to be learnt. Dyslexics can have problems with this.

David Bailey
11th-January-2006, 12:18 PM
As a mother of 2, one being a daughter who excels at English and the other, a son, who IS Dyslexic, I have no doubt in my mind, that the statement is utter B****cks:angry:
:yeah:
If a programme had been made about "The Autism myth", and simply because there are a range of autistic conditions, recommended "tell them to talk to people more", I'd be just as offended...

Andy McGregor
11th-January-2006, 12:27 PM
He used "slap", rather than "slip", which was my joke originally, but seems to have gained some currency across the forum. :nice:
Does the transposition of two letters or the use of the incorrect vowel or a slop of the fingers {} detract from the content?:confused:

El Salsero Gringo
11th-January-2006, 01:29 PM
Dear Abbey,

I have a terrible problem. Aside from that though, I'd like your advice: I want to crack that old joke about "the dyslexic atheist who denied the existence of dog" - but I can't decide whether to do it in this thread, or the one about Tolerance in America (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6658), which seems to have moved onto a chat about the semantics of words to describe belief systems.

What should I do?

Yours,

Donkey-boy

David Bailey
11th-January-2006, 01:31 PM
What should I do?
Stop using weird fonts?

Oh - hold on, wrong thread, got confused there for a second... :blush:

Lynn
11th-January-2006, 02:05 PM
He even had a little spelling joke in his post http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7429 where he used "slop" instead of slip :rofl: .
He used "slap", rather than "slip", which was my joke originally, but seems to have gained some currency across the forum. :nice:

[Pedant mode] He had both 'slop' instead of 'slip' in 'slop of the fingers' as an intentional mistake, and 'slap' instead of 'slip' in 'Freudian slap' which has been in general forum usage for a while now. [/Pedant mode]

Barry Shnikov
11th-January-2006, 02:28 PM
No, I wrote that! Name-dyslexia?

Oops. Sorry.

Due to posting in excessive hurry before leaving for work. Profuse apologies:flower:

Barry Shnikov
11th-January-2006, 02:29 PM
why is "your" or "their" hard to spell?

Good grief.

{Lies down in dark room}

Barry Shnikov
11th-January-2006, 02:39 PM
The thesis goes as follows.

At some point in the past, education professionals noticed that there was something unusual going on. There were pupils who had difficulty reading; some were obviously not that intelligent, so reading difficulties were pretty much to be expected. However, some were clearly highly intelligent, and so (applying the logical principle of 'begging the question') they assumed there must be something extra-ordinarily wrong with these bright, bad readers, and coined a term for the newly-discovered syndrome. (It wasn't said what yardstick was used to measure intelligence, but this being America and England, it was probably IQ tests.)

Recently, some highly regarded educational psychologists have - apparently over many years - come to the conclusion that there is no functional difference between the reading problems experienced by dyslexics and those experienced by the 'duffers'. Furthermore, the successful methods of treating these reading difficulties work equally well whether it is a dyslexic or a duffer who is receiving the 'treatment'.

Some of them have concluded that dyslexia - in its proper usage which was confined to bright pupils with reading problems - is a name without a syndrome.

It occurs to me that another way to deal with the position is to extend 'dyslexia' to cover all people who experience this type of reading difficulty, whatever their IQ.

No, I don't have a reference, ESG, but DavidJames is correct that it was a channel four documentary.

Andy McGregor
11th-January-2006, 02:58 PM
[Pedant mode] He had both 'slop' instead of 'slip' in 'slop of the fingers' as an intentional mistake, and 'slap' instead of 'slip' in 'Freudian slap' which has been in general forum usage for a while now. [/Pedant mode]So we were both right - how dull :wink:

El Salsero Gringo
11th-January-2006, 03:34 PM
No, I don't have a reference, ESG, but DavidJames is correct that it was a channel four documentary.And you consider *that* an appropriate source to raise on the Forum?

I'd take it with a pinch of salt, and a liberal spreading of (black) margarine.

LMC
11th-January-2006, 03:47 PM
I dislike the lack of specific source material, but the C4 website has an interesting article here (http://www.channel4.com/news/microsites/D/dyslexia_myth/dyslexia.html) and this is difficult to argue with:

....the term 'dyslexia' (should be reserved for) for the 1-2 per cent of children, whose problems, on present evidence, are unlikely to be resolved by even the latest 'state of the art' school teaching.

The author indicates that up to 20% children struggle with reading and writing. It seems he is arguing against dyslexia as a label rather than the existence of the problem.

Once again we have media sensationalism "creating" an issue where none really exists :mad:

David Bailey
11th-January-2006, 04:43 PM
Once again we have media sensationalism "creating" an issue where none really exists :mad:
What, you don't think the documentary makers wanted to provoke a reaction with that provocative a title? Or is that the media you are talking about?

LMC
11th-January-2006, 04:59 PM
Both the documentary makers AND the BBC. The title of the program was provocative. I didn't see the program, but it's just as poor that the BBC introduces its article with the claim that the documentary "claimed that dyslexia does not exist" and only three paragraphs later makes the less black & white claim that the C4 program "cast doubt on the condition".

I wonder whether "Cynical of Hertfordshire" (in case of further misunderstanding, that would be me) is the only one who thinks that the BBC and the Daily Mail may have been separated at birth? :( (check out BBC's 'Have Your Say' - some of those people scare even me :eek: )

Barry Shnikov
11th-January-2006, 06:17 PM
And you consider *that* an appropriate source to raise on the Forum?

What? DavidJames or Channel 4?

David Bailey
11th-January-2006, 08:53 PM
What? DavidJames or Channel 4?
I was wondering that myself, but I didn't dare ask :eek: :)