PDA

View Full Version : Would you prefer Gadget to use correct spelling?

Andy McGregor
11th-January-2006, 09:02 AM
On another thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7429) Gadget is asking us to vote on his spelling skills. The questions steer the respondent away from voting yes by adding emotional tags to your response. There is a sub-text of "do you love/hate Gadget?" Here's an example of one of his questions "Yes - bad speelers should be cast down". I believe this makes it difficult for people to vote "yes" as you also have to say you don't like Gadget. I've written this poll to lose that aspect.

Minnie M
11th-January-2006, 09:07 AM
......./big snip/...speelers......

:rofl: even I know you spell that "SPELLARS" :rolleyes:

fletch
11th-January-2006, 09:25 AM
well, I think its a disgrace to post if you can't spell or use proper grammar or punctuation marks:rolleyes: I mean if you can't spell you obviously not very intelligent and what ever you have to say is probably irrelevant anyway.:wink:

Gadget, we should meet, we could compare dictionary's, or not!!!!!:eek:

Its a problem when spell check carn't find the word cos its so wrong:really:

We carn't be good at everything:na:

:whistle:

David Bailey
11th-January-2006, 09:33 AM
Gadget, we should meet, we could compare dictionary's, or not!!!!!:eek:
"And when they met... it was MOIDER!" :innocent:

I've got the Haart to Haart theme tune stuck in my head now. :eek:

fletch
11th-January-2006, 09:44 AM
"And when they met... it was MOIDER!" :innocent:

I've got the Haart to Haart theme tune stuck in my head now. :eek:
Dont you meen Tagart:what:

El Salsero Gringo
11th-January-2006, 09:58 AM
I think it's terribly déclassé to worry about wonky spelling. I'd much rather concentrate on what someone's saying rather than how they say it.

David Bailey
11th-January-2006, 10:03 AM
Oops, no, I meant "Hart to Hart (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078622/)", with Robert Wagner, Stephanie Powers and of course the great Lionel Stander as Max :worthy:

The irony of me miss-spelling the names is not lost on me. I must have been thinking of the estate agents or something. :blush:

Anyway, the opening line was:
This is my boss, Jonathan Hart - a self-made millionaire. He's quite a guy. This is Mrs. H. She's gorgeous. She's one lady who knows how to take care of herself. By the way, my name is Max. I take care of *both* of them, which ain't easy; 'cause when they met... it was *murder*!

Ahh, those were the days.

déclassé
Accents! Now that's classy.

djtrev
11th-January-2006, 10:33 AM
Andy,you have got too much time on your hands

There is a sub-text of "do you love/hate Gadget?" Here's an example of one of his questions "Yes - bad speelers should be cast down". I believe this makes it difficult for people to vote "yes" as you also have to say you don't like Gadget.

Andy McGregor
11th-January-2006, 10:42 AM
I think it's terribly déclassé to worry about wonky spelling. I'd much rather concentrate on what someone's saying rather than how they say it.I think that ESG has hit the nail on the head here. We have to concentrate to find the word a bad speller is trying to use. Why can't we just have the word spelt properly? Then we can concentrate on the message. And, like it or not, persistent bad spelling gives the impression that somebody is less bright. If you read a newspaper and it was peppered with spelling errors you might think that the team behind it are really thick: you might think they don't care: you are likely to think less of the newspaper: you are unlikely to regard it as cute or idiosyncratic.

Come on Gadget, we know you can spell. So why aren't you getting it right all of the time? :confused:

Andy McGregor
11th-January-2006, 10:48 AM
Andy,you have got too much time on your hands

There is a sub-text of "do you love/hate Gadget?" Here's an example of one of his questions "Yes - bad speelers should be cast down". I believe this makes it difficult for people to vote "yes" as you also have to say you don't like Gadget.As a marketing guy I have an aversion to badly written questionnaires. And Gadget's was written in a way which was likely to skew the reponse due to an emotional element.

And, no, I don't usually have much time on my hands. I'm currently relaxing/recovering after taking 36 hours to travel back from Sun City in South Africa. The Virgin Atlantic Flight was delayed by 14 hours and they put us up overnight in an hotel right under the flight path :tears:

djtrev
11th-January-2006, 10:52 AM
And, no, I don't usually have much time on my hands. I'm currently relaxing/recovering after taking 36 hours to travel back from Sun City in South Africa. The Virgin Atlantic Flight was delayed by 14 hours and they put us up overnight in an hotel right under the flight path :tears:

That must have been hell for you.:wink:

LMC
11th-January-2006, 10:53 AM
I'm going to go on about spelling and grammar, particularly Gadget's spelling and grammar, on yet another thread
It's almost enough to tempt me to start smoking again.

Andy McGregor
11th-January-2006, 10:56 AM
That must have been hell for you.:wink:Hey, it was a work trip. I took no pleasure in it :wink: One night it even rained a bit.

TiggsTours
11th-January-2006, 10:57 AM
I've never met Gadget, so I refuse to comment on one individual.

As I have said on other threads, I personally find that bad spelling, and bad grammar, gets my back up a bit, even though I am fully aware that mine is not perfect!

This is because, in this area, I am quite anally retarded, its my problem, just like I don't like cyclists, or noisy children (even happy noises, cheerful gurgling that others find so cute!). I'm the one with a problem, not the people who make the errors.

If I have given the impression that I think people with bad spelling & grammar are lazy, rude, and inconsiderate, I apologise, that is not the case. Can people help it if they have a speech impediment? no, having a problem with not knowing the correct place to put an apostrophe in the word "they're", or even when to use it, is no different, but it would still make me cringe!

What upsets me is text talk, even though I know this is a place to be seen as anally retarded too, this I do see as lazy, but maybe I'm just not "with it", I'd rather embrace the full use of my own language and be "without it"! My choice, my opinion, that's all. I guess its all to do with the way we're brought up, and I was brought up by a speech and drama teacher, with a love of English Literature, that I guess rubbed off on me in more ways than I think.

The difference, as mentioned on Gadget's similar thread:

When talking, do you never slur, make Freudian slaps, trip over your own tongue, have to repeat yourself, mumble, stutter...And this is going from brain to mouth at the speed of thought! On here you have to go from thought to words to letters to position on keyboard to hitting the right keys - and while doing that, be thinking on the next word. Lots of places to screw up.
is that, when you are writing, as oposed to talking, you do have the opportunity to re-read what you have written, before you press send, to check for errors, and correct them. If you choose not to, that is your choice. I personally hate the fact that, on this forum, there is no spell check facility.

The thing with personal opinions, and personal tastes, is that no one individuals are right or wrong, and nobody should be judged on them.

pjay
11th-January-2006, 11:04 AM
If you read a newspaper and it was peppered with spelling errors you might think that the team behind it are really thick: you might think they don't care: you are likely to think less of the newspaper: you are unlikely to regard it as cute or idiosyncratic.

You might also think - gee this paper would benefit a lot from employing people to proof read - which I'm guessing most papers do... maybe Gadget should do the same...

Lynn
11th-January-2006, 11:13 AM
The irony of me miss-spelling the names is not lost on me. I thought that was intentional! :rofl:

I meant "Hart to Hart (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078622/)", with Robert Wagner, Stephanie Powers and of course the great Lionel Stander as Max :worthy:You left out Freeway! :wink:

TiggsTours
11th-January-2006, 11:14 AM
If you read a newspaper and it was peppered with spelling errors you might think that the team behind it are really thick: you might think they don't care: you are likely to think less of the newspaper: you are unlikely to regard it as cute or idiosyncratic.
Are you talking about the Metro by any chance? That paper is terrible for mistakes! Its quite entertaining!

Andy McGregor
11th-January-2006, 11:15 AM
You might also think - gee this paper would benefit a lot from employing people to proof read - which I'm guessing most papers do... maybe Gadget should do the same...Or maybe they should retrain or replace the people who currently do the job. In Gadget's case I believe he just doesn't think it's important.

pjay
11th-January-2006, 11:19 AM
Or maybe they should retrain or replace the people who currently do the job. In Gadget's case I believe he just doesn't think it's important.

In that case, if you want him to change then how are you going to get him to think that it's important?

It would seem to me that statement of the opinion of others is probably not going to do the job.

David Bailey
11th-January-2006, 11:21 AM
You left out Freeway! :wink:
I used to hate Freeway with a fiery passion. Same way I feel about the dog on Frasier. Cute animals are evil.

Lynn
11th-January-2006, 11:24 AM
I used to hate Freeway with a fiery passion. Same way I feel about the dog on Frasier. Cute animals are evil.:really:

David Bailey
11th-January-2006, 11:28 AM
:really:
Yeah, and you can't even debate with them. :whistle:

Andy McGregor
11th-January-2006, 11:47 AM
In that case, if you want him to change then how are you going to get him to think that it's important?

It would seem to me that statement of the opinion of others is probably not going to do the job.All the evidence is that Gadget doesn't care about spelling. But the fact he started a poll about what people thought about his spelling shows that he cares about what people think and is asking for their support. And to looking at the wording of his poll he's asking people to say that those of us who care about spelling are wrong.

Of course, it's never wrong to care about being right.

To be quite honest, I'd mostly stopped reading past the first paragraph of Gadget's posts. Gadget often has a valid point to make but his posts are too long-winded and have too many spelling mistakes to keep my interest.

It would be lovely if Gadget improved his spelling as it would make his posts easier to read. But I agree with pjay, it's unlikely to happen :tears:

ToeTrampler
11th-January-2006, 12:11 PM
That would be more like "Sumbuddies dun a Murrdir!" :D

David Bailey
11th-January-2006, 12:14 PM
To be quite honest, I'd mostly stopped reading past the first paragraph of Gadget's posts. Gadget often has a valid point to make but his posts are too long-winded and have too many spelling mistakes to keep my interest.
Hmmm... I tend to pay as much attention to Gadget's post as yours, Andy, despite the fact that yours are clearly models of correctness... I guess I discount a lot of your stuff as "stirring", whereas I know Gadget "speaks from the heart" (c. Wonald).

And it's always fun to play "spot the Freudian slap", of course.

David Franklin
11th-January-2006, 12:21 PM
That would be more like "Sumbuddies dun a Murrdir!" :Dhttp://waxy.org/random/images/weblog/mortor.gif

Andy McGregor
11th-January-2006, 12:21 PM
Hmmm... I tend to pay as much attention to Gadget's post as yours, Andy, despite the fact that yours are clearly models of correctness... I guess I discount a lot of your stuff as "stirring", whereas I know Gadget "speaks from the heart" (c. Wonald).Stirring? Which particular posts leave you stirred?

Heather
11th-January-2006, 01:58 PM

Taggart says " There's been a murder"

:hug:
Heather

tsh
11th-January-2006, 02:21 PM
This is because, in this area, I am quite anally retarded, its my problem, just like I don't like cyclists, or noisy children (even happy noises, cheerful gurgling that others find so cute!). I'm the one with a problem, not the people who make the errors.

If you're going to complain about bad grammar, you should at least make your complaint accurate. How can you not like cyclists without knowing that they are cyclists? Noisy children are obviously identifiable - but are noisy addults acceptable in your nicely partitioned world???

fwiw, I have no problem with people not bothering to spell check their posts, but people making no effort to communicate in a clear manner does significantly reduce my interest in their point of view! (and no, this isn't directed at TT!)

Sean

TiggsTours
11th-January-2006, 02:27 PM
If you're going to complain about bad grammar, you should at least make your complaint accurate. How can you not like cyclists without knowing that they are cyclists? Noisy children are obviously identifiable - but are noisy addults acceptable in your nicely partitioned world???

You are completely right, and as I said, being analy retarded, yes, these partitions are acceptable. I don't have any issue with noisy adults, and I only have a problem with cyclists when they are actually on their bikes. However, I don't voice it to them, I bite my tongue, smile and get on with it, because I know that the only reason I have these issues is because I'm analy retarded. I believe that everybody is analy retarded about at least one thing in life, its what makes us human.

Something else I don't like (and this isn't directed at tsh) is people openly victimising one person, for something that many are "guilty" of.

fletch
11th-January-2006, 04:44 PM
Taggart says " There's been a murder"

:hug:
Heather

looks like I spelt Taggart wrong:blush:
:rofl:

Andy McGregor
11th-January-2006, 04:52 PM
looks like I spelt Taggart wrong:blush:
:rofl::worthy: :worthy: :worthy:
Fletch deserves our respect. She obviously knows that her spelling is not perfect. And she seems to be saying she would like to improve and is embarassed about her spelling.

It is the bad spelling of people who could do better with a bit of effort that I object to.

Dreadful Scathe
11th-January-2006, 05:23 PM
How can you not like cyclists without knowing that they are cyclists?

I imagine the bicycle is a dead giveaway :)

And yes Taggart says "Murrrderr" not Moider. He would in the New York version :)

Clive Long
11th-January-2006, 05:24 PM
[Martin Harper mode on :devil: ]
We have been here before.

My views (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=118483&highlight=clive#post118483) have not changed. (OK the original discussion was about grammar but I have the same values towards "correct" spelling as an aid to understanding your message).

[/Martin Harper mode off]

I would be interested to know - maybe this has already been covered and I'm too lazy to look - for those who have trouble with spelling and are concerned or embarrassed (I had to spell-check that) by this, why not use Word to construct your posts, use spell-check, then cut-and-paste into the Forum? It's only a suggestion if you want to address your spelling.

All I would add is that in this thread Andy has personalised, and potentially "emotionalised" the discussion by putting Gadget's name in the title of thread. And Andy's intention, he wrote, was to remove the skewing and "emotional bias" in Gadget's original poll. I think he has not achieved this.

A serious discussion is to be had but I object to the way this thread has been personalised - it was unnecessary.

Do we not have (split infinitives, love 'em) the glorious "Pendants' Corner" (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6799&highlight=pedants) for this discussion?

Clive

David Bailey
11th-January-2006, 05:46 PM
:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:
Fletch deserves our respect. .
:eek: :what:
Is this really Andy McGregor speaking? Sounds like a mouthpiece to me. :whistle:

Andy McGregor
11th-January-2006, 05:53 PM
All I would add is that in this thread Andy has personalised, and potentially "emotionalised" the discussion by putting Gadget's name in the title of thread. And Andy's intention, he wrote, was to remove the skewing and "emotional bias" in Gadget's original poll. I think he has not achieved this.This is probably right. Gadget made his last poll very much about him but made his questions emotionally charged. I removed that charge by making the question about someone we, allegedly, liked. I did toy with the options of not liking Gadget and not being bothered either way. But as people aren't required to vote they can just abstain.

In retrospect, it might have been better to talk in more general terms. On the other hand, some people might have thought I was hinting at it being Gadget, just not naming him. And, Gadget is the only person I know of on here who is perfectly able to sort out his spelling but chooses not to. And, it was Gadget who started it :innocent:

Andy McGregor
11th-January-2006, 05:56 PM
:eek: :what:
Is this really Andy McGregor speaking? Sounds like a mouthpiece to me. :whistle:I'm just using Fletch to contrast with Gadget and show him in an unfavourable light :innocent:

I'll be seeing Fletch in Bognor at the weekend and will redress the balance by letting her use me for something :sick:

Tessalicious
11th-January-2006, 05:57 PM
...quoting fletch...
Looks like somebody's been taken of somebody else's ignore list. :really:

Hey Andy, is there a vacancy? :innocent:

Andy McGregor
11th-January-2006, 06:07 PM
Looks like somebody's been taken of somebody else's ignore list. :really:

Hey Andy, is there a vacancy? :innocent:I put Fletch on my ignore list because I had absolutely no doubt that she was posting the views of her new friend Mikey. However, I had a lovely PM chat with Fletch and she's really very sweet :flower: And very, very naughty :eek:

But to prove the game of one door opens and another door closes I found the need to add a new forumite to my ignore list. I have just one person on my ignore list. That person is Sinner. No prizes for guessing who that is.

Tessalicious, you have to be very bad to get on my ignore list :flower:

TiggsTours
11th-January-2006, 06:20 PM
I have just one person on my ignore list. That person is Sinner. No prizes for guessing who that is.......
......you have to be very bad to get on my ignore list
You find fluffy little pussy cats particuarly offensive?

Tiggerbabe
11th-January-2006, 06:26 PM
Tessalicious, you have to be very bad to get on my ignore list :flower:
Being unable to spell "off" is not enough then Andy? :whistle:

Tessalicious
11th-January-2006, 07:20 PM
Being unable to spell "off" is not enough then Andy? :whistle:
:really: :blush:

Being a self-proclaimed pedant, I'm embarrassed by it enough myself - I normally check every post through, but unfortunately my supervisor entered the room at that precise moment, so I submitted without checking so that I could close the window. Won't do that again, at least not on a thread about spelling! :rolleyes:

Andy McGregor
11th-January-2006, 07:49 PM
You find fluffy little pussy cats particuarly offensive?No, I love fluffy pussy cats. Short-haired ones too :hug:

However, Sinner is not a fluffy pussy cat. That's the bait :mad:

Gadget
12th-January-2006, 03:55 AM
Just had to post a :flower: :kiss: and :hug: for the 25 people who voted.

For those of you not bored of all this yet, I've explained some of what Andy has been asking about me at the end of this (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7429) thread. {not this one - the one under the "this" :rolleyes::D}

fletch
12th-January-2006, 09:10 AM
I put Fletch on my ignore list because I had absolutely no doubt that she was posting the views of her new friend Mikey. However, I had a lovely PM chat with Fletch and she's really very sweet :flower: And very, very naughty :eek:

:flower:

Very sweet:eek: ho no not another person that has seen through my scary exterior, ill have to try harder next time :wink:
and very very naughty, ill have to give you a thrashing for that comment Andy
:flower:

Andy McGregor
12th-January-2006, 10:10 AM
and very very naughty, ill have to give you a thrashing for that comment Andy
:flower:Can we use the horse-whip this time mistress, your broomstick left marks that lasted for weeks*.

*and I know it didn't fly straight afterwards either :devil:

fletch
12th-January-2006, 10:16 AM
Can we use the horse-whip this time mistress, your broomstick left marks that lasted for weeks*.

*and I know it didn't fly straight afterwards either :devil:

As you wish, now lie face down and don't make a sound:devil:

:whistle:

Andy McGregor
12th-January-2006, 10:22 AM
As you wish, now lie face down and don't make a sound:devil:

:whistle::yum: :yum: :yum:

eek!!!