PDA

View Full Version : MJ points of reference

Feelingpink
10th-January-2006, 08:26 PM
Here's the thing. I go to a freestyle on Saturday night and I want to describe it to an MJ friend but it's really difficult without points of reference. There are the dancers - their ability to play, a spread of abilities, perhaps the friendliness, floorcraft? Then there's the music and the venue as well as possible crowds/number limits.

Could we come up with a system which has a number of continuums to help describe events or venues? Perhaps one could be music playaroundability, ranging from disco to off-the wall (sure the DJs could come up with better terms) ... and floorcraft could be ranked from very safe & thoughtful to "wear shinpads & helmet"?

One of the things that struck me at the event I danced at was the value that "most" of the dancers appeared to place on moves, rather than musical interpretation. Don't get me wrong - I had probably half a dozen dreamy dances with guys who were into "play" as much as anyone I've ever danced with. But there were dancers all night on the edges of the floor who were trying out, experimenting or demonstrating moves. I was led into moves that I haven't done in years and the most "popular" leaders (being hugely subjective here) appeared to be those with showy moves. Perhaps I've just become a niche dancer in the past year by only really going to Jango/Funky Lush or Greenwich events, where I don't remember that happening.

Anyway, does anyone else think it would be helpful if we had some way of explaining the ethos of a night or event, which would help others to decide if that event's values were similar to their own. Perhaps it could be in a similar format to a MyersBriggs profile where there is no "best" - just "different"?

Oh, and I got to meet the forum's Donna, who is just fab!

Baruch
11th-January-2006, 12:03 AM
One of the things that struck me at the event I danced at was the value that "most" of the dancers appeared to place on moves, rather than musical interpretation.
What do you expect when moves are all that gets taught in the vast majority of modern jive classes? That won't change until there's a seismic change in the methodology of MJ teachers, which I can't see happening any time soon.

Anyway, for classifying freestyles, how about something like this, marked from 1 to 5 on various points:

MUSIC

1. Boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
2. Fair mix of styles
3. Some experimental tracks among the standards
4. Challenging
5. ***?????

DANCERS

1. Yankers / sleazy / poor hygiene
2. Move monsters
3. Some variety, hitting some breaks
4. Playtime!
5. Er.... do they know they're supposed to dance with me?

VENUE

1. Smoky
2. Tiny
3. Large but cramped and hot
4. Large, spacious and air-conditioned
5. Large, spacious, air-conditioned and with a free bar

ATMOSPHERE

1. So dead, even the DJ was two hours late
2. Boring
3. Enjoyable
4. Fun and satisfying
5. PARTY!!!!!

Gadget
11th-January-2006, 01:21 AM
Anyway, does anyone else think it would be helpful if we had some way of explaining the ethos of a night or event, which would help others to decide if that event's values were similar to their own.
Unfortunately, I doubt it would be that useful: I've had brilliant nights that I loved the music and other people hated it and had a dire night. I've had OK nights where others were raving about how good it was.

:shrug: nice idea, but I don't think that there is a common base that means the same to everyone, or that any two people will experience the night in the same way.

spindr
11th-January-2006, 02:12 AM
There is in fact an official SpinDr approved objective scale for dance events, etc:

Hereby known as the "sweaty t-shirt index", i.e. how many sweaty t-shirts are in your bag (+1 if the one you are wearing is also damp) at the end of the evening :)

'nuff said -- eliminate all those subjective measurements :)
SpinDr