PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Gender Balancing

Jeremy
6th-January-2006, 05:11 AM
While discussing the Gender Control thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7377) on the Australian Forum (http://www.cerocforum.com) we realised that we dont tend to see the gender imbalance in our Sydney classes, at least not long term (varies from week to week).

Here is the thread (http://www.cerocforum.com/showthread.php?t=2017) on the Australian Forum (http://www.cerocforum.com)

Why does the UK seem to have such a gender balance issue yet in Australia (or Sydney at very least) we tend to see more even numbers?

Ronde!
6th-January-2006, 06:37 AM
I am wondering if it might be a culture thing?

I have just done a scan of the whole CS Forum, and there is very little encouragement of dancing with beginners. I did find one thread, which was encouraging, but I think there must be about ten on the (smaller) Aussie forum on the same subject, of how to encourage beginners to dance.

If there arent enough men at dances, I would say the obvious thing to do is get the ladies to ask more male beginners to dance. And even if they aren't the most fabulus dancers in the world to start off with, once they are addicted they will eventually become very satisfactory, I'm sure. :)

I think this is how the "natural equilibrium" of things happens in Australia, so that we have pretty much balanced gender in every class. As a beginner guy, there were a couple of intermediate/advanced girls who repeatedly asked me to dance, despite my reluctance, despite my mistakes and repertoire of about four moves. :) At first I was seriously intimidated, but then, kinda flattered that such obviously nice gals would take the time for me! And then I was hooked for good and I've never looked back. :) I'm sure the demographic makeup of our classes here helped, too... at least 80% of the girls here in Canberra are svelte young 20-somethings, so I really couldn't complain about the company. :)))

I guess my question is... how do the ladies in the UK feel about asking beginner guys to dance, and thus ensure the men have a fun time and return?

Andreas
6th-January-2006, 08:46 AM
Why does the UK seem to have such a gender balance issue yet in Australia (or Sydney at very least) we tend to see more even numbers?
Because there are extremely good-looking male teachers in the UK... :rofl:

Andreas
6th-January-2006, 08:57 AM
I have just done a scan of the whole CS Forum, and there is very little encouragement of dancing with beginners. I did find one thread, which was encouraging, but I think there must be about ten on the (smaller) Aussie forum on the same subject, of how to encourage beginners to dance.
If you go to freestyles in the UK you will notice that this is either more a matter of "we don't talk about it, we just dance with beginners" or the forum members are simply not representative for what is going on in this matter. As far as I have noticed there is no difference in people dancing with beginners (or not) in the UK compared to OZ.

If there arent enough men at dances, I would say the obvious thing to do is get the ladies to ask more male beginners to dance. And even if they aren't the most fabulus dancers in the world to start off with, once they are addicted they will eventually become very satisfactory, I'm sure. :)

This isn't quite as easy as it sounds. Classes at least around London are considerably larger than what I have seen anywhere else in the world. So to start with there are are more men here than you will see at your classes. BUT while there is more money in the UK, quality of life in OZ is higher. Here people work very long hours and often can't afford more than one hobby (just because of time restraints). So if a guy is keen on football then that will consume a lot of his time. It will be hard to motivate him to do something that his mates find 'uncool' in what little time he has left. The latter one is what I believe the major reasons why so many married ladies don't get their partners to come along.

I think this is how the "natural equilibrium" of things happens in Australia, so that we have pretty much balanced gender in every class. As a beginner guy, there were a couple of intermediate/advanced girls who repeatedly asked me to dance, despite my reluctance, despite my mistakes and repertoire of about four moves. :) At first I was seriously intimidated, but then, kinda flattered that such obviously nice gals would take the time for me! And then I was hooked for good and I've never looked back. :) I'm sure the demographic makeup of our classes here helped, too... at least 80% of the girls here in Canberra are svelte young 20-somethings, so I really couldn't complain about the company. :)))
Dancers in OZ (on average) are significantly younger than in the UK. I believe that plays also an important role (see thread of Salsa guy in 'Let's talk about dance' ;) ).

I guess my question is... how do the ladies in the UK feel about asking beginner guys to dance, and thus ensure the men have a fun time and return?
Mine too :D

ducasi
6th-January-2006, 09:32 AM
I have just done a scan of the whole CS Forum,
So how long did that take you, considering the front page says "Threads: 6,834, Posts: 185,986." :rolleyes:

and there is very little encouragement of dancing with beginners. It is something i think is talked about often, though I guess we all understand the importance of dancing with beginners to help them improve and keep them coming along.

David Bailey
6th-January-2006, 09:35 AM
Good question. Repeating what I said on the Australian forum:

I'd guess there's less of an underlying dance culture for men in the UK, plus perhaps Ceroc is maybe not seen as such a "sport" in the UK, so there's less competition-based incentive?

Another way of looking at it - what are they doing right in Australia to attract even numbers, which we in the UK could copy?

So how long did that take you, considering the front page says "Threads: 6,834, Posts: 185,986."
185,988 now :)

Seriously, there hasn't been much recently about beginners here, maybe there should be...

Icey
6th-January-2006, 10:03 AM

I'll try to get a dance or two from beginner guys each time I go to my regular class. I've also tried to get my male friends along to a class but they keep resisting me, short of kidnapping them I've got little chance of getting them there.

LMC
6th-January-2006, 10:20 AM
Even when I'm not taxi-ing, I try to make an effort to dance with at least a couple of beginners. The main thing that guys could do to help themselves is look more available for a dance when they are wanting to be asked: put the drink DOWN unless you're actually drinking (I will rarely ask someone with a glass in their hand unless I know them or really really really want to dance to that track). And if you've joined with your partner/wife, stand and chat, rather than sit, and encourage your partner to dance with other men, because sitting (rather than standing) means that people who don't know you may well assume that you are perfectly content in each other's company and are less likely to ask either of you to dance for fear of offending the other.

Dancing is seen very much as a "girl thing" here - as DJ said, it's not really considered a sport. But its popularity has exploded over the last couple of years after Strictly Come Dancing, celebrity versions and other spin-offs. So maybe the numbers will even out.

stewart38
6th-January-2006, 10:45 AM
I wonder if we could actually have thread with some facts rather then a lot of loose assumptions

People who go to the various dance classes can 'count' the number of extra ladies or men etc and get a 'feel' in the free style

The forum doesnt really represent your standard cerocer but again threads like this suggest a serious imbalance which isnt true

Sometimes its an Educational issue. at ICE I stood out for 3 dances and no one asked me to dance :sad: yet there were loads more ladies ??

I think ladies ask now more then 5 or 10yrs ago (when there were bigger imbalances)

Most imbalances at club level tend to even themselves out over short periods of time

e.g Ive NEVER expereince a continuous excess of ladies at any venue ive attended over the years

KatieR
6th-January-2006, 11:53 AM
The forum doesnt really represent your standard cerocer but again threads like this suggest a serious imbalance which isnt true

You're talking out the wrong end again Stuart....:rolleyes:

stewart38
6th-January-2006, 12:54 PM
You're talking out the wrong end again Stuart....:rolleyes:

Do you think the top 50 posters on here reflect the standard cerocer, id guess not :flower: :flower:

TiggsTours
6th-January-2006, 01:01 PM
I'd say its probably a cultural thing.

Guys who go dancing in the UK really aren't a fair picture of the "average British male" who likes to go to the pub, get drunk, smoke things they shouldn't and judges a "good night" on how many times they threw up, how much they remember, and whether or not they were capable of sh*****g the "fit bird" they pulled.

Our boys (as in UK dancers, not UK average, not making any reference to Aussie guys here, who are all lovely too) are far nicer! :D

KatieR
6th-January-2006, 01:02 PM
Do you think the top 50 posters on here reflect the standard cerocer, id guess not :flower: :flower:

I agree with that... it was the 'there is no gender imbalance' comment... you try rotating with 20 other women and then come back and tell me there is no gender imbalance.

stewart38
6th-January-2006, 01:05 PM
I agree with that... it was the 'there is no gender imbalance' comment... you try rotating with 20 other women and then come back and tell me there is no gender imbalance.

Ill go to chesham tonight and if there are 20 + extra ladies to rotate ill eat my hat . No ill eat something of your choice :what:

FREE MEN TICKETS FOR CHESHAM !!!!

LMC
6th-January-2006, 01:09 PM
I expect Katie has just spent lots of time commiserating with other female dancers, as I do.

It's rather telling to me that the teacher usually expresses mock-shock/horror/delight in the rare event that there are men over. And a significant number of these men joke about how they aren't used to having to rotate. Welcome to our world guys.

Stewart, there are more women that dance than men. No-one is denying that *sometimes* there are men over. And a *few* venues regularly have men over. However at most venues, most of the time, there are extra women.

LMC
6th-January-2006, 01:13 PM
Ill go to chesham tonight and if there are 20 + extra ladies to rotate ill eat my hat . No ill eat something of your choice :what:

Sorry to double-post (cross-post).

If there are more than about 12 ladies in the rotation I get bored and go to the bar, and I bet I'm not the only one.

Class rotation is less important to most of us than freestyle, which forms the main part of the evening. You cannot judge the numbers by class attendance - quite a lot of people sit out at Chesham or go to the bar.

There may not be ladies over in tonight's class, but I'll bet there are a significant number of ladies over in freestyle compared with total numbers there. If you ask very nicely I bet Jilly would give you numbers although it wouldn't be proper to publicise them.

Donna
6th-January-2006, 01:44 PM
I've never been to a venue where there happens to be more male than females. Getting it to balance is difficult. My dance teacher has been trying it for ages and has never had any luck. If he gets a few new males in the next week through advertising a lot ( in which on his posters he says 'every woman loves a man who can!:rolleyes: ) we're guaranteed to get double the amount of woman instead.

Women are more keen on dancing whereas I think most men are simply embarrassed by it...what their mates will think etc. (That's what most men I have tried to drag on the dancefloor have said to me anyway) Such a shame.

Jooles
6th-January-2006, 01:51 PM
In my experience of ceroc Stewart38 is right. Most people posting are making assumptions that all venues are the same, but all venues have loads of women over. South West London often has men over in the class - not always, but often. There was a time a few years ago on a Wednesday night at Jongleurs when you could often find about twenty men over and the classes themselves were relatively small.

Jooles
6th-January-2006, 01:54 PM
but all venues have loads of women over. .

Sorry folks that should have read " but NOT all venues have loads of women over"

KatieR
6th-January-2006, 01:54 PM
In my experience of ceroc Stewart38 is right. Most people posting are making assumptions that all venues are the same, but all venues have loads of women over. South West London often has men over in the class - not always, but often. There was a time a few years ago on a Wednesday night at Jongleurs when you could often find about twenty men over and the classes themselves were relatively small.

Generally speaking... and I have been to quite a lot of different venues, events and freestyles and there is at least 5 to 10 ladies over usually more.

Donna
6th-January-2006, 02:01 PM
Generally speaking... and I have been to quite a lot of different venues, events and freestyles and there is at least 5 to 10 ladies over usually more.

I remember when we were 21 women over once! What a nightmare that was!

LMC
6th-January-2006, 02:04 PM
My experience reflects KatieR's (and between us we attend a pretty fair variety of venues)

One venue in SW London and Jongleurs a few years ago - insufficient proof, sorry. I'm more interested in MOST venues and NOW.

No-one is denying that *sometimes* there are men over. And a *few* venues regularly have men over. However at most venues, most of the time, there are extra women.

EDIT: due to cross-post - Donna, it is a nightmare. I remember one where there was double the number of women than men - about 30 over - and Adam ran a double trouble class "on the fly". I didn't stay for the freestyle :rolleyes:

Ronde!
6th-January-2006, 05:51 PM
So how long did that take you, considering the front page says "Threads: 6,834, Posts: 185,986." :rolleyes:

Are you rolling your eyes at me? :/

:)

C'mon give me some credit. I used the Search function on the word "beginners". :) No point working hard when you can work smart, really. :)

Ronde!
6th-January-2006, 05:56 PM
Dancing is seen very much as a "girl thing" here <snip>

Funny!

I was once accosted by a drunk guy in a pub when I was dancing, who asked me if I was gay. I just mentioned that I happened to be dancing with five hot girls that night, while he was downing beers in the company of eight blokes.

That put things in perspective for him. :) Though, thankfully, I never saw him at a class subsequently. :)

Tessalicious
6th-January-2006, 06:59 PM
C'mon give me some credit. I used the Search function on the word "beginners". :) No point working hard when you can work smart, really. :)
Sorry, permit me a brief :rofl: :rofl:

Now go and use the Search function to find out what everyone thinks of the Search function.

David Bailey
6th-January-2006, 08:32 PM
Funny!

I was once accosted by a drunk guy in a pub when I was dancing, who asked me if I was gay. I just mentioned that I happened to be dancing with five hot girls that night, while he was downing beers in the company of eight blokes.

That put things in perspective for him. :) Though, thankfully, I never saw him at a class subsequently. :)
Just out of interest, why do you think numbers seem to be more even in Oz than in the UK?

Culturally, I can't offhand thing of major differences that would produce such an effect, if anything I'd expect any disparity to be as great or greater in Oz.

Is it a "dance = sport" thing in Australia?

ducasi
6th-January-2006, 11:24 PM
Are you rolling your eyes at me? :/

:)

And then read the 824 threads that mention the word beginner? :rolleyes:

frodo
7th-January-2006, 12:04 AM
There may not be ladies over in tonight's class, but I'll bet there are a significant number of ladies over in freestyle compared with total numbers there. If you ask very nicely I bet Jilly would give you numbers although it wouldn't be proper to publicise them.
However ladies may tend to leave (during the week) freestyle earlier (even if the're in the minority), so overall numbers may not give a complete picture of the balance over the night.

The ladies may not have forgone any more dances due to non availability of partners than the men, though it might look that way from the statistics.

Generally speaking... and I have been to quite a lot of different venues, events and freestyles and there is at least 5 to 10 ladies over usually more.But mainly around London ?

When first dancing around London I was surprised how many more ladies there were relatively.

Gadget
7th-January-2006, 01:01 AM
on encouraging beginners to dance...
Helping New Dancers (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5768)
Getting newcomers past the second night (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5028)
Beginners: how do we keep them? (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3061)
More men: how do we find them and keep them dancing?! (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3416)
What to say to beginners (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4957)

on dancing with beginners...
Dancing with beter dancers (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3766)
Dancing with beginners (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=632)
Mix & match beginners class (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6179)
Experienced Dancers...do You Still Participate In Beginner/intermediate Classes????? (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5538)

There are more, but I got fed up... {Actually about half of them seem to have been started by you :rolleyes:}

BTW: People keep confusing dancing in London with dancing in the UK... there are small pockets of population outside of there that may have a somewhat different outlook. :whistle:

Icey
7th-January-2006, 01:43 AM

There was 15 ladies extra tonight in the class with about another 10 or so sitting on the sidelines chatting. I'd say Stewart, that you have just lost your bet :na:

Bring your hat and something of KatieR's choice to eat on Sunday.

David Bailey
7th-January-2006, 01:48 PM

{ snip great list }

Good list :)

BTW: People keep confusing dancing in London with dancing in the UK... there are small pockets of population outside of there that may have a somewhat different outlook. :whistle:
:yeah:
It's off-topic, and probably deserves its own thread, but I get annoyed by posts from people which assume that everyone lives in London - and I do live in London. Can we have a bit more definition in things like "Who's dancing where this weekend?" threads please?

If in doubt, look at the address bar, the bit between "www.ceroc" and ".com" should give you a clue...

El Salsero Gringo
7th-January-2006, 02:02 PM
It's off-topic, and probably deserves its own thread, but I get annoyed by posts from people which assume that everyone lives in LondonWho's assuming? It's true!

If in doubt, look at the address bar, the bit between "www.ceroc" and ".com" should give you a clue...Random characters to keep the spammers out, surely?

LMC
7th-January-2006, 02:22 PM
Naughty ESG :hug:

In my very limited experience of London venues on a weeknight (I don't count Finchley as London, it's outside the North Circular :innocent: )

there seem to be more people there without life partners
to be fair, the numbers often seem more even during weeknight classes only - at weekend freestyles the women seem to come out in force :(

Perhaps that's because the average age of people living in London (again, I exclude Finchley :devil: ) is younger than the UK average. Certainly, there is far less grey hair (and far more hair on heads generally) at ISH, Jive Bar and Casbah than any venue that I've attended outside the Road From Hell.

As a corollary, to me this kind of also "proves" the point that Ceroc is a good place to meet, er, people...

Missy D
7th-January-2006, 02:36 PM
Perhaps that's because the average age of people living in London (again, I exclude Finchley :devil: ) is younger than the UK average. Certainly, there is far less grey hair (and far more hair on heads generally) at ISH, Jive Bar and Casbah than any venue that I've attended outside the Road From Hell.

As a corollary, to me this kind of also "proves" the point that Ceroc is a good place to meet, er, people...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

LMC thats so funny but so true.

stewart38
7th-January-2006, 03:08 PM
The LORD takes away our men of to war :sad:

My experience reflects KatieR's (and between us we attend a pretty fair variety of venues)

The Lord brings them back safely :yeah:

there seem to be more people there without life partners
to be fair, the numbers often seem more even during weeknight classes only -

spindr
7th-January-2006, 08:33 PM
One thought: perhaps an older demographic might suggest a higher likelihood of children. Perhaps, the missing (married) men are all babysitting? Especially as it'll be cheaper and perhaps more attractive than paying £16 per couple, plus baby sitting charges, petrol, drinks, etc.

Maybe a free creche might even up the numbers :)

SpinDr

LMC
7th-January-2006, 08:45 PM
I agree that the older demographic indicates that more people are likely to have parental responsibilities.

If children are in the equation, I think it's more complicated than the babysitting on the night. If a couple each had two or three hobbies before the children, one of which was dancing as a joint hobby, then it seems possible that if they only have time and/or money for one hobby each then it's less likely to be a joint one. The forum is not representative - a lot of men go dancing to meet a partner or because their partner goes. Even if they really enjoy dancing, given the choice of only one activity, the men are less likely to pick dancing than the women.

Gadget
7th-January-2006, 09:58 PM
Must admit that one of reasons that me wife does not want to be dragged along dancing with me is the "who would look after the kids". There are several nights I have had to miss due to her having meetings and stuff that clash with my usual night of freedom & enjoyment.

"plllllease?? can't you just miss it for one night?" :rolleyes:

ducasi
8th-January-2006, 02:00 AM
One thought: perhaps an older demographic might suggest a higher likelihood of children. Perhaps, the missing (married) men are all babysitting? Especially as it'll be cheaper and perhaps more attractive than paying £16 per couple, plus baby sitting charges, petrol, drinks, etc.
Interesting notion, though in my neck of the woods, the one with the "older" demographic is more balanced numbers-wise than the one with the "younger" demographic.

Martin
8th-January-2006, 10:03 PM
Just out of interest, why do you think numbers seem to be more even in Oz than in the UK?

Culturally, I can't offhand thing of major differences that would produce such an effect, if anything I'd expect any disparity to be as great or greater in Oz.

Is it a "dance = sport" thing in Australia?

I also wondered why macho Aussie guys would dance and expected more women than men (coming from the UK where the perception of Aussie guys are that they are macho beer swilling mens men), well that's just the thing.. IMHO and observations, Aussie guys are far more feminine, new age/hen pecked, drink far less (try asking the typical Aussie guy to go for a drink midweek and he will start talking about how he has to work the next day!).
Whereas Aussie women are generally far more scary, masculine and demanding. So I guess it takes a brave man to say no to coming along to dance with your partner...

Yes there are significant cultural differences.

Ronde!
9th-January-2006, 12:12 AM
And then read the 824 threads that mention the word beginner? :rolleyes:

What the... still rolling your eyes??? :rolleyes: LoL.

I only had to read the most recent ones. That's enough to show the topic hasn't beed discussed for yonks. :)

Hey, what is this, anyway, an inquisition...?

Ronde!
9th-January-2006, 12:17 AM
Helping New Dancers (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5768)
Getting newcomers past the second night (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5028)
Beginners: how do we keep them? (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3061)
More men: how do we find them and keep them dancing?! (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3416)
What to say to beginners (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4957)

on dancing with beginners...
Dancing with beter dancers (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3766)
Dancing with beginners (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=632)
Mix & match beginners class (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6179)
Experienced Dancers...do You Still Participate In Beginner/intermediate Classes????? (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5538)

There are more, but I got fed up... {Actually about half of them seem to have been started by you :rolleyes:}

Yeah, I know there *are* threads, just that even the most recently updated one, anywhere, was half a year old! :) I think it's good to actively maintain a culture where we're conscious of this issue, and six months is faaar to long... :)

El Salsero Gringo
9th-January-2006, 12:48 AM
Yeah, I know there *are* threads, just that even the most recently updated one, anywhere, was half a year old! :) I think it's good to actively maintain a culture where we're conscious of this issue, and six months is faaar to long... :)And there was me, wondering what had made the Forum so interesting for the last six months.

Ronde!
9th-January-2006, 07:50 AM
And there was me, wondering what had made the Forum so interesting for the last six months.
Hmmm.

And there was me, wondering if the stories I'd heard (that some people on this forum filled it with bickering and whinging), were true.

As I care little for either... I guess it's back to the Aussie forum ("http://www.cerocforum.com/) for me! :clap:

Bye y'all! :)

David Bailey
9th-January-2006, 08:49 AM
And there was me, wondering if the stories I'd heard (that some people on this forum filled it with bickering and whinging), were true.
It's not! Well, not filled... :)

Come on guys, let's be a little more constructive here. I agree with Ronde!, it doesn't seem that there's been much activity in the beginner's section recently, and it's not a bad idea to argue that there should be more.

As I care little for either... I guess it's back to the Aussie forum ("http://www.cerocforum.com/) for me! :clap:

Bye y'all! :)
Come back! :flower:

ducasi
9th-January-2006, 09:16 AM
Come on guys, let's be a little more constructive here. I agree with Ronde!, it doesn't seem that there's been much activity in the beginner's section recently, and it's not a bad idea to argue that there should be more.Indeed, I tried to bribe (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6548) more beginners to take part in the forum with chocolate. It drew one or two people out, but I don't think we got much extra beginner-related discussion.

Any ideas?

David Bailey
9th-January-2006, 09:23 AM
Indeed, I tried to bribe (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6548) more beginners to take part in the forum with chocolate. It drew one or two people out, but I don't think we got much extra beginner-related discussion.

Any ideas?

"Is reading the Forum a good idea for beginners?" :innocent:
"How useful is the marketing gumf (videos, etc.) for beginners - what other material would help?"
"Dance etiquette basics" (OK, that must have been done lots of times before, but not in the beginners corner)

Feel free...

bigdjiver
9th-January-2006, 09:37 AM
Perhaps we should replace the divisive "beginner" with alternatives. "First-timer" has a clear meaning. After that we are all developing dancers. One obvious step is to tell newcomers that this forum exists, but I have always been reluctant to do that as I cannot foresee the consequences.

David Bailey
9th-January-2006, 09:47 AM
Perhaps we should replace the divisive "beginner" with alternatives. "First-timer" has a clear meaning. After that we are all developing dancers.
I think "beginners" is clear - why's it divisive? Now, "advanced", that's divisive.:devil:

One obvious step is to tell newcomers that this forum exists, but I have always been reluctant to do that as I cannot foresee the consequences.
OK, new thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7408) started.

ChrisA
10th-January-2006, 01:41 AM
Perhaps we should replace the divisive "beginner" with alternatives.

"advanced", that's divisive.
Clearly, any word that distinguishes the ability level of one person from another is divisive.

Therefore, we should eschew such a thing.

The word is "dancer", used to describe any that move their feet, or indeed any part of their body, in time with music. Or indeed not in time with music. Or indeed not even with music playing. Well, not audibly. Well, not by the dancer....

Erm...

Thank goodness that's settled, anyway. Wouldn't want to be anything but inclusive....

Gadget
10th-January-2006, 02:03 AM
:what: Oi - stop that - you're beginning to sound like me! :mad:

{..but perhaps with a better command of the alphabet :whistle:}

ChrisA
10th-January-2006, 05:02 PM
:what: Oi - stop that - you're beginning to sound like me! :mad:

Yes, but the difference when you talk like that is that you mean it.

Do you end up with crisply pressed shirts when you have a go at irony?

{..but perhaps with a better command of the alphabet :whistle:}
"Perhaps"? :really:

I'll just shoot myself now, then... :tears:

El Salsero Gringo
10th-January-2006, 05:25 PM
...eschew...Gesundheit.