PDA

View Full Version : Salsa options in North London

David Bailey
4th-January-2006, 09:47 PM
I've been to a few venues over the last year, and I'm planning to go to a few more, so I'll put my opinions of them here as I do - feel free to add yours

The title is there as homage to the "Ballroom / Latin / Tango options in North London (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6361)" thread - I only know North London salsa venues well, but please widen these to include anywhere you've been.

Anyway, to kick off, here's one:

-----------------------------

Salsa at Trent Park (http://www.hotsalsa.co.uk/)

The beginner's class is 8-9pm, then there are 3 simultaneous classes (simultaneous classes are common in salsa) for the "next three levels" at 9-10pm.

Unusually for salsa venues, progression is promoted throughout all these levels, and progression is I believe through invitation.

Last time I went, a few months ago, the venue owner Maria taught the beginners sessions (level 1) and the improvers (level 2). Wendy does intermediates (level 3), and David does advanced (level 4). Typically there are a large number of attendees by salsa standards - up to 80 in the three 9-10pm sessions.

I've only done David's classes, so I can only comment on those - he's an imaginative and conscientious teacher, he has a clear idea of what he wants his students to be doing at any time, and he's always cheerful :) However, you've got to watch him like a hawk to get the moves, as he tends to demonstrate them more than teach them. But then, it's an advanced class, and they're lovely moves.

The club is not really to my taste - to much fast music as the evening goes on - but it's a nice friendly atmosphere.

-----------------------------

More to come...

Tiggerbabe
5th-January-2006, 01:39 AM
Blast it all David, I read that title as "Sales options" - and seeing as I am desperately in need of new clothes, shoes, bags, etc etc etc am now more than a little seriously disappointed to find out you're talking about dancing again *sheesh* :o

Lynn
5th-January-2006, 11:54 AM
Blast it all David, I read that title as "Sales options" - and seeing as I am desperately in need of new clothes, shoes, bags, etc etc etc am now more than a little seriously disappointed to find out you're talking about dancing again *sheesh* :o:rofl:

LMC
5th-January-2006, 04:10 PM
Salsa at Trent Park

// snips link & info, it's up there ^^^^
That website makes my corneas peel :what:

Seriously - is smoking allowed? - 'cos that's the one thing that's putting me off starting to tackle some salsa on a consistent basis.

David Bailey
5th-January-2006, 04:28 PM
Seriously - is smoking allowed? - 'cos that's the one thing that's putting me off starting to tackle some salsa on a consistent basis.
Not at Trent Park - at least, I've never seen anyone smoking there.

In some salsa venues, there is a bit - or more than MJ venues, anyway. Mainly these are the central London venues - lots of drinking there as well, it's just that sort of atmsphere.

Danielle
5th-January-2006, 11:13 PM
OK - never actually been :blush: but a friend of mine Dean Maynard, teaches at Jongleurs/Bar Risa in Reading on the 1st 2 Sundays of the month.

(yes I know its not north london - but lets face it we all travel for a good dance!!)

He's got a fab attitude to dancing, is a great dancer, and even dances with me which is fab considering how terrible my salsa is!! So i'm sure he's teach a lovely class if anyone wanted a sunday night venue!