PDA

View Full Version : Butter verses margarine.

Cruella
4th-January-2006, 03:18 PM
Got another of those emails, similar to the Water or Coke one.
Thought i'd share it.

Do you know the difference between margarine and butter?
Read on to the end, it gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories. Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams.
Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same! amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study,

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods. Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few only because they are added!
Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavours of other foods.
Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years.

And now, for Margarine.. Very high in trans-fatty acids... Triple risk of coronary heart disease.
Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol) .. Increases the risk of cancers by up to five fold...
Lowers quality of breast milk... Decreases immune response... Decreases insulin response.
And here are the most disturbing facts....

HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!
Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC.......And margarine is initially BLACK, but it is DYED YELLOW to look like butter. These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).. YOU can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area, within a couple of days you will note a couple of things:

No flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)...
It does! not rot or smell differently. Because it has no nutritional value, nothing will grow on it...even those teeny weenie micro organisms will not find a home to grow.
Why? Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Little Em
4th-January-2006, 03:20 PM
Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

certainly not! :eek:

Cruella
4th-January-2006, 03:22 PM
Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

certainly not! :eek:
I know, Tupperware is far too expensive!

jivecat
4th-January-2006, 03:34 PM
Why? Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Butter beats marg every time, like water beats coke, leather beats plastic (unless you're a vegan), wool beats acrylic, silk beats polyester (unless you're washing your Ceroc clothes).
Any info on how they make that spread-from-the-fridge butter? I think I heard that they feed the cows with some disgusting substance, but maybe that's an urban myth?

ducasi
4th-January-2006, 03:38 PM
Got another of those emails, similar to the Water or Coke one.
Thought i'd share it. Don't believe half of it. But I go for a low-fat spread, which you just don't get from butter (legally, both butter and margarine are 80% fat. The key difference is that one is from vegetable fat, while the other is from milk fat.)

HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!
Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC.......And margarine is initially BLACK, but it is DYED YELLOW to look like butter. Hey, water is ONE MOLECULE away from being plastic – a plastic molecule!

Who writes this rubbish?

Margarine isn't black – have you seen vegetable oil? What colour is it?

It is impossible to dye something black to make it yellow.

Cruella
4th-January-2006, 03:44 PM
Don't believe half of it. But I go for a low-fat spread, which you just don't get from butter (legally, both butter and margarine are 80% fat. The key difference is that one is from vegetable fat, while the other is from milk fat.)
Hey, water is ONE MOLECULE away from being plastic – a plastic molecule!

Who writes this rubbish?

Margarine isn't black – have you seen vegetable oil? What colour is it?

It is impossible to dye something black to make it yellow.
Didn't say i agreed with it! Make of it what you will.:innocent: Just after the discussions over 'Water or Coke' thought it would cause a good bit of debate.:whistle:
Could really do with a tongue in cheek smilie! Ooh, look i changed that from black to yellow.

ducasi
4th-January-2006, 04:01 PM
Didn't say i agreed with it! Didn't say you did. :flower:

killingtime
4th-January-2006, 04:08 PM
Could really do with a tongue in cheek smilie! Ooh, look i changed that from black to yellow.

You didn't dye it yellow though did you :na:?

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
4th-January-2006, 04:24 PM
Don't like Margarine, think it's minging and synthetic, can't beat the real thing (butter) spread on nice crusty bread :yum: or in your homemade cakes (I haven't made any for ages.)

Little Em
4th-January-2006, 04:30 PM
Don't like Margarine, think it's minging and synthetic, can't beat the real thing (butter) spread on nice crusty bread :yum: or in your homemade cakes (I haven't made any for ages.)

when you do .... can i have some?:drool:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
4th-January-2006, 04:47 PM
when you do .... can i have some?:drool:

No probs but gotta warn you, it has been a while... do make a mean cherry madeira, and eve's pudding yummm....
Next time you visit i'll try and make time to bake something :D Getting hungry now lol

Little Em
4th-January-2006, 04:52 PM
No probs but gotta warn you, it has been a while... do make a mean cherry madeira, and eve's pudding yummm....
Next time you visit i'll try and make time to bake something :D Getting hungry now lol

me too!! :D

im visiting again when i teach at the beach ballroom!!

maybe some for them?!!!

:flower: :flower:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
4th-January-2006, 04:59 PM
Don't think i'll be there :sad: We'll work something out heheh better be a good cake eh? x

El Salsero Gringo
4th-January-2006, 05:40 PM
HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!Ah, you must mean "interesting" spelt B U L L S H I T
Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC.......Nonsense. A molecule is one molecule away from being another molecule? Do you mean one atom away from being plastic? That at makes some kind of sense but it's wrong also. And even if it were true, then so what?
And margarine is initially BLACK, but it is DYED YELLOW to look like butter.No it isn't black, it's white. And you can buy the white stuff if you like, it's usually cheaper.
These facts alone ...er..sorry, which facts? You haven't stated any yet.
were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).. YOU can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area, within a couple of days you will note a couple of things:

No flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)... Yes it does. It tells me that it's not made of fruit. Luckily I knew that already, because it says so on the label. (Where does this **** come from?)

It does! not rot or smell differently. Because it has no nutritional value, nothing will grow on it...even those teeny weenie micro organisms will not find a home to grow.
Why? Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?More bullshit I'm afraid. It has plenty of "nutritional value" if by that you mean calories. That's on the label too. The reason nothing grows on it is because (unlike butter) it contains no water. Nothing grows on pure olive oil either - but you don't have a problem eating that.

It's so irresponsible to post this kind of crap where people can read it, and a few even stupider people can go "oh, well, I saw it on the Internet so it must be true". And saying "Oh, I didn't write it, I just thought it was interesting" just makes you look foolish and stupid.

Pack it up.

El Salsero Gringo
4th-January-2006, 05:43 PM
Butter beats marg every time, like water beats coke, leather beats plastic (unless you're a vegan), wool beats acrylic, silk beats polyester (unless you're washing your Ceroc clothes).
Any info on how they make that spread-from-the-fridge butter? I think I heard that they feed the cows with some disgusting substance, but maybe that's an urban myth?They take butter, oil, and a little water, and mix it all together. Nothing to do with cows.

robd
4th-January-2006, 05:44 PM
{Sticks knife into Cruella}

I'd bake you a cake to cheer you up Cruella but I've only got Stork in the fridge (and I don't mean the type that drops babies when they're due)

Cruella
4th-January-2006, 05:48 PM
.....................stuff.
:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: It always amazes me that you are such an expert on everything. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

TiggsTours
4th-January-2006, 05:51 PM
Honestly can't taste any difference, margarine is healthier, and spreads straight from the fridge, so marg everytime for me.

Unless you're talking brandy butter, mmmmmmm.:drool:

El Salsero Gringo
4th-January-2006, 05:54 PM
And, on the subject of margerine, one (real) reason why you might not want to eat it is because of potential contamination by Nickel and Cadmium from the catalyst used for hydrogenation. I gather one difficulty of producing margarine is reducing this contamination to a "safe" level.

Cruella
4th-January-2006, 05:55 PM
I'd bake you a cake to cheer you up Cruella but I've only got Stork in the fridge (and I don't mean the type that drops babies when they're due)
Thanks Rob, but i really need to get back on my diet after the christmas binge. All those chemicals and additives could effect my natural sense of humour.:D

TiggsTours
4th-January-2006, 05:56 PM
And, on the subject of margerine, one (real) reason why you might not want to eat it is because of potential contamination by Nickel and Cadmium from the catalyst used for hydrogenation. I gather one difficulty of producing margarine is reducing this contamination to a "safe" level.
If we worried about all the health implications of everything, we'd all starve to death! Butter's not so healthy either. You expose yourself to contamination from something or other every time you breath in.

Cruella
4th-January-2006, 05:58 PM
They take butter, oil, and a little water, and mix it all together. Nothing to do with cows.
But oh wise one, do they not use cow milk to make butter?

El Salsero Gringo
4th-January-2006, 05:59 PM
But oh wise one, do they not use cow milk to make butter?Naah, everyone knows that milk comes from a milk factory. You'd never get a cow to pee into those tiny little cartons.

under par
4th-January-2006, 06:30 PM
I really love Marge butt'er sister Flora left me with a stork. sorry:sad:

CJ
4th-January-2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks Rob, but i really need to get back on my diet after the christmas binge. All those chemicals and additives could effect my natural sense of humour.:D

Did someone buy you a sense of humour for Christmas?? Awwww, that's lovely.:flower:

under par
4th-January-2006, 07:26 PM
Did someone buy you a sense of humour for Christmas?? Awwww, that's lovely.:flower:
butt'er they forgot the batteries .....:whistle: