PDA

View Full Version : Randomness of Slurp Spiders

under par
4th-January-2006, 07:46 AM
Is it the sign of a Forum addict that I enjoy the randomness of the various Slurp Spiders?

I enjoy looking at the "whose on line" page to see if there are any interesting old threads being slurped by the spiders.

It is so totally random!

I really like yahoo spider number 5.:yeah: She has such a sense of humour. :drool: Don't you think?:whistle:

Anyone know where she dances?:hug: :flower:

ducasi
4th-January-2006, 08:32 AM
Maybe inktomi slurp (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/member.php?u=968) knows... :wink:

under par
4th-January-2006, 08:36 AM
Maybe inktomi slurp (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/member.php?u=968) knows... :wink:

Thanks just pm'd Mr Slurp.

She is rather lovely

LMC
4th-January-2006, 09:55 AM
I thought I was the only one who did that! :rofl:

Piglet
4th-January-2006, 10:04 AM
How can you become a spider? And is it fun?

Tiggerbabe
4th-January-2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks just pm'd Mr Slurp.

I think you'll find that's Miss Slurp :wink:

Piglet
4th-January-2006, 10:23 AM
I think I've just found me a spider :D
It's such a cute and friendly wee beastie too! :D

Cruella
4th-January-2006, 12:40 PM
I don't have a clue what your talking about.:confused:

Jenni
4th-January-2006, 12:49 PM

Me neither

ducasi
4th-January-2006, 01:09 PM
If you look here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/online.php) you'll see all the people visiting the forum, which usually includes at least half a dozen "Yahoo! Slurp Spider"s. They are automated processes that Yahoo run to index our wee forum so people can search it.

As UP points out, the threads they are visiting appear fairly random, but that's cos they are visiting pretty much every thread on the forum, one by one, but the one listed is whatever it was last looking at when you loaded the online page.

Oh, and "Yahoo! Slurp" is really the same creature as "Inktomi Slurp" since Yahoo bought over Inktomi. The posts by someone registered as "inktomi slurp" (as a joke) suggests that our friendly little spider is female.

Hope that helps. :nice:

Last thing – sorry Jenni, but as you are not a "Silver" member, you don't get to see the "Who's Online" page. :flower:

Jenni
4th-January-2006, 02:13 PM
Last thing – sorry Jenni, but as you are not a "Silver" member, you don't get to see the "Who's Online" page. :flower:

Have just found that out :tears:

Its OK don't like spiders anyway

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
4th-January-2006, 05:27 PM
Umm ok I THINK I know what you are talking about.. maybe

Cruella
4th-January-2006, 05:32 PM
..lots of helpful info...:
I used to always click on the names individually to see what they were reading (cos i'm nosey), this is much better! Thanks :flower:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
4th-January-2006, 05:38 PM
Oh so, does it mean that you "paid" members can see what threads we're looking at ect.?

Icey
4th-January-2006, 05:39 PM

:yeah: I've seen them but had no idea what they were actually doing. Thanks Ducasi for the explanation.

ducasi
4th-January-2006, 07:01 PM
Oh so, does it mean that you "paid" members can see what threads we're looking at ect.?
No, no – not at all. :innocent: What gave you that idea? :whistle:

LMC
5th-January-2006, 12:58 AM
Yes, which is why I'm invisible, so no-one catches me stalking the Google spider... :drool: