PDA

View Full Version : Txt Spk

Dance Demon
3rd-January-2006, 02:30 PM
Is it just me...........or does it drive anyone else mad when people come onto a forum, and type in text speak?..........There's no excuse for it, other than lazyness.......so stop it:mad:

Lynn
3rd-January-2006, 02:33 PM
Is it just me...........or does it drive anyone else mad when people come onto a forum, and type in text speak?..........There's no excuse for it, other than lazyness.......so stop it:mad:It seems pretty pointless to me since the purpose of shortening words for texting as I understand it is to enable a text message to contain as much information as possible in a limited available space. Space is not limited on here - so why write in text speak? To me its instantly setting up a barrier to communication with whoever is using it.

jacksondonut
3rd-January-2006, 03:56 PM
I get a lot of pleasure out of reading all the posts on the forum, but do struggle to identify the meaning of some of them, as there are occasionally words shortened, etc.,

If you havent been around the Forum for long, its is hard to get the gist of what is being said.. :what:

Apart from that, its great! :clap:

TiggsTours
3rd-January-2006, 04:03 PM
Text talk! :angry: :angry: :angry:

HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Even in text messages, should only ever be used when ABSOLUTELY necessary!

I also hate bad grammer, and the incorrect use of words, e.g.

There going out tonight (not They're going out tonight)
Their is only one day to go (not There is only one day to go)
To bad (not Too bad)

all mistakes commonly found everywhere in life nowadays, and I blame text talk completely for this fall in the understanding of our own beautiful language. People need to read more Shakespeare!

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Rant over.:)

TheTramp
3rd-January-2006, 04:08 PM
:yeah:

Actually, my biggest pet hate at the moment, is 'could of'. Instead of could've!

ducasi
3rd-January-2006, 04:10 PM
People need to read more Shakespeare! I find most text-talk to be easier to understand than Shakespeare. :)

TiggsTours
3rd-January-2006, 04:11 PM

Actually, my biggest pet hate at the moment, is 'could of'. Instead of could've!
Or, of course, there's always couldv'e! What, exactly, does that mean? I'm always trying to work out which letter has been taken out.

TiggsTours
3rd-January-2006, 04:12 PM
I find most text-talk to be easier to understand than Shakespeare. :)
I don't! Maybe its an age thing? If so, I'm so glad I'm in my thirties! Far more civilized!

Dance Demon
3rd-January-2006, 04:12 PM
I also hate bad grammer,

I hate bad GRAMMAR too:wink:

TiggsTours
3rd-January-2006, 04:13 PM
I hate bad GRAMMAR too:wink:
Bad grammar, and incorrect use of words I hate, spelling has never been my strong point! :wink:

stewart38
3rd-January-2006, 04:16 PM
Is it just me...........or does it drive anyone else mad when people come onto a forum, and type in text speak?..........There's no excuse for it, other than lazyness.......so stop it:mad:

My boss at my apprisal said some of my e-mails come across like 'text speak'

He didnt know I cant spell have little knowledge of grammar and never check what I written

stewart38
3rd-January-2006, 04:18 PM
My boss at my apprisal said some of my e-mails come across like 'text speak'

He didnt know I cant spell have little knowledge of grammar and never check what I written

sorry what 'I've' written :blush:

ducasi
3rd-January-2006, 04:36 PM
I don't! Maybe its an age thing? If so, I'm so glad I'm in my thirties! Far more civilized!
Maybe – except I'm older than you! :na:

Thing is, I'd guess 99.9% of people here can work out that "ur" means "your" or "you're", but how many people know what "wherefore art thou" actually means? 'Cos it doesn't mean what most people think it does!

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
3rd-January-2006, 04:51 PM
all mistakes commonly found everywhere in life nowadays, and I blame text talk completely for this fall in the understanding of our own beautiful language. People need to read more Shakespeare!

I lik readin Shakes(peare), bt i lik 2 use txt spk on ma fone as it means i can sav time wen txtin & sav muny. Wen u get use 2 all ur pals difrnt ways of wrdin stuff it get much easier :) (e.g. ma mate April shortened what am i talking about? to WAT) it sumtimes quite funny da way ppl wrd stuff haha

Now I cud jus tak the ****, ROFLMAO!

Ash xxx

philsmove
3rd-January-2006, 04:59 PM

To bad (not Too bad)

)
Sorry guilty as charged :blush:

I still get
Weather and wether
morning and mourning
buddeled up

I went to scool long before TEXT was invented :flower:

TiggsTours
3rd-January-2006, 05:01 PM
I lik readin Shakes(peare), bt i lik 2 use txt spk on ma fone as it means i can sav time wen txtin & sav muny. Wen u get use 2 all ur pals difrnt ways of wrdin stuff it get much easier :) (e.g. ma mate April shortened what am i talking about? to WAT) it sumtimes quite funny da way ppl wrd stuff haha

Now I cud jus tak the ****, ROFLMAO!

Ash xxx
Don't agree. To do text talk, you have to switch predictive text off, it would take me far longer to write any text message. I only ever use it when I have a really long text message that won't go into one screen, and then only on as few words as possible.

stewart38
3rd-January-2006, 05:06 PM
Maybe – except I'm older than you! :na:

Thing is, I'd guess 99.9% of people here can work out that "ur" means "your" or "you're", but how many people know what "wherefore art thou" actually means? 'Cos it doesn't mean what most people think it does!

Can I borrow your pen ?

You can borrow my pen but you may not :sad:

Steal it thats what I say

Piglet
3rd-January-2006, 05:09 PM
Got to say I don't mind the text speak stuff at all - would much rather read that than Shakespeare any day and I can assure you it's not an age thing - except for the fact that I'm way younger in my head than I am on the outside :D

To be honest, although I'm a teacher (though not of English! Except in the very basic sense since I presently work with young children). I think there's a lot of common sense behind text speak. Can't say the same about the English language however.

Also I have relatives and friends who are dyslexic and have been called stupid or have felt stupid because of how they have been perceived from their spelling. Personally I find it endearing - they are all lovely, lovely people - and long live bad spelling and bad spellers I say!:clap:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
3rd-January-2006, 05:09 PM
Don't agree. To do text talk, you have to switch predictive text off, it would take me far longer to write any text message. I only ever use it when I have a really long text message that won't go into one screen, and then only on as few words as possible.

Well I can only use predictive txt, can't txt with it off, never have since I got my first phone, your phone learnes your abreviations anyway.

Piglet
3rd-January-2006, 05:11 PM
predictive txt
I absolutely LOATHE that horrible invention - I thought it would be fun to have on a phone, but just found it irritating and more work.

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
3rd-January-2006, 05:23 PM
Are you joking? :really: It's soo much easier, all you have to do is type in your word and scroll through until you find it. Without it you need to type in each letter individually! But I guess each to their own asI have never not used predictive txt.

DangerousCurves
3rd-January-2006, 05:54 PM
Grrrrrr - must say Text-Speak is one of my pet hates!

I have a particular fondness for language and nuances of expression, and in my work have always considered myself really a word-smith.

The reason I hate text speak is this: I have no issue with people who have problems with spelling, vocubulary or grammar (we all make mistakes, we are all just trying to communicate), but text-speak seems like a deliberate attempt to denegrate language and to reduce it to the lowest level.

I can understand that in a text it may save time (and shorten the message thereby saving money too!), but I really do cringe whenever I see it.

I also worry that as it becomes more widely used, people will stop expressing themselves fully. There are so many wonderful words out there that really describe what you are feeling... why limit your self-expression to a semi-literate grunt comprised of letters and digits?

Icey
3rd-January-2006, 07:50 PM
I have heard reports of exams being written in text :eek: These reports are of GCSE's and even professional type exams like accountancy exams being written in text speak. Do people not realise the importance of the exams they're sitting? :confused:

killingtime
3rd-January-2006, 08:38 PM
Space is not limited on here - so why write in text speak?

I expect you are limited to 8000 characters (VARCHAR(MAX)) like you are in PMs. Then again I haven't seen that many posts at that sort of letter count :rolleyes:.

I hate txt speak as well. Even on mobile phones it annoys me though I do understand it can save you time and space. It's actually included as default suggestions for my phone's predictive text but I ignore that in favour of going for the word.

I also worry that as it becomes more widely used, people will stop expressing themselves fully. There are so many wonderful words out there that really describe what you are feeling... why limit your self-expression to a semi-literate grunt comprised of letters and digits?

Well that word still translates to another word. In George Orwell's 1984 they used plus good for positive and minus good (?) for negative the idea being that eventually the state could phase out minus and people would no longer have a way to describe a negative situation. Though the English language is ridiculously complex (in terms of structure, exceptions and meanings) this does mean that an idea can be expressed in a multitude of different ways and helps the literature arts.

In my exciting life as a programmer I prefer the opposite. I hate languages that allow multiple syntax to achieve the same thing and like very exact rules and types. But then I'm communicating with a machine and find that lack of flexibility reduces ambiguity and makes for a more logical structure.

Wooh! Off-topic.

Little Monkey
3rd-January-2006, 09:25 PM
I absolutely loathe text speak!

Yes, I sometimes use it when texting, but only if I'm sending a long message and have limited space to say what I want. If it's a short message, I use proper English words.

Also I have relatives and friends who are dyslexic and have been called stupid or have felt stupid because of how they have been perceived from their spelling. Personally I find it endearing - they are all lovely, lovely people - and long live bad spelling and bad spellers I say!

If people are dyslexic they have an excuse for not being able to cope with spelling and grammar. It's terrible when they are then bullied or made to feel 'inferior' just because they can't spell!:mad: But for people who are not dyslexic, there's no excuse! Ok, everyone makes mistakes from time to time, and I'm no exception (but English isn't my first language, so I'm allowed to make some mistakes! :wink: ), but there are so many native English speakers who have no clue about basic spelling, grammar and punctuation! It really irritates me!

Ahem, rant over.............:blush:

Oh, and learning English was very interesting. Most of the time I asked why something was spelled the way it was, or enquired about the use of certain words or grammar points, the answer was usually along the lines of "That's just the way it is, now stop asking awkward questions!" :rofl:

David Bailey
3rd-January-2006, 09:39 PM
I expect you are limited to 8000 characters (VARCHAR(MAX)) like you are in PMs. Then again I haven't seen that many posts at that sort of letter count :rolleyes:.
That'll be old-school Gadget-sized posts then. Ahh, those were the days. I reckon the FAQ comes pretty close to that size though...

I hate txt speak as well. Even on mobile phones it annoys me though I do understand it can save you time and space. It's actually included as default suggestions for my phone's predictive text but I ignore that in favour of going for the word.
Unlike most people it seems, I've got no problems with txt spk. It's just another communications dialect developed specifically for a particular situation - what's wrong with that?

There's no realistic chance of it becoming the default communications dialect anywhere else, simply because it's too ineffective compared to the standard written word - scare stories and trendy teachers aside, it's just not going to happen.

In fact, it's likely that as technology develops, text speak will die out even on mobile phones. Possibly to be replaced by pictograms / smiley-speak / interactive media - who knows?

But whatever it is, there'll be people complaining about it.

David Franklin
3rd-January-2006, 10:39 PM
Unlike most people it seems, I've got no problems with txt spk. It's just another communications dialect developed specifically for a particular situation - what's wrong with that?

There's no realistic chance of it becoming the default communications dialect anywhere elseUR 2 rite. No1 wd evr use txt spk on v 4m. lol

ducasi
4th-January-2006, 01:02 AM
In my exciting life as a programmer I prefer the opposite. I hate languages that allow multiple syntax to achieve the same thing and like very exact rules and types. But then I'm communicating with a machine and find that lack of flexibility reduces ambiguity and makes for a more logical structure. In my exciting life as a systems admin, I prefer the opposite to you. Simply put, Perl rules. :D

Lynn
4th-January-2006, 01:05 AM
I expect you are limited to 8000 characters (VARCHAR(MAX)) like you are in PMs. Then again I haven't seen that many posts at that sort of letter count :rolleyes:. But you aren't limited the way you are for a text message on your mobile*. If you really can't fit what you want to say in one post you could simply divide it over two or more posts. If someone put a post up that was the maximum length and it was all in text speak, I don't think many people would bother reading it.

Text speak on a mobile phone message is one thing, I don't mind it and use a mixture of it and full words myself at times if I'm short of space. Using it on this forum, an email or handwritten document, to me says the person doesn't think what they are saying is important enough to bother using the full words, so I don't reckon its important enough for me to bother trying to 'decode' it.

*KT, have you been having pedantic lessons from DJ?

ToeTrampler
4th-January-2006, 12:22 PM
I absolutely LOATHE that horrible invention - I thought it would be fun to have on a phone, but just found it irritating and more work.
Best way to use predictive text is to shut your eyes until you've finished typing the word. (It still doesn't work but it's a lot less stressful :) )

Dreadful Scathe
4th-January-2006, 01:08 PM
I still get
Weather and wether
morning and mourning
buddeled up

Its spelt "whether" as I had pointed out to me as I use it all the time ;) I assume you are being ironic, what with "buddled up" :).

What annoyes me more than TXT SPK is people who ....use....far.......too many...dots...rather than proper.....English ....that....and overuse of smileys :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: ;) ;)

murphy
4th-January-2006, 01:45 PM
I had this sent to me a while ago...

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.

The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aodccrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dnsoe't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the hmuan mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azmanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuoht slpeling was ipmorantt!

I don't know how true it is, but personally I can read that a lot easier and quicker than for example...

UR 2 rite. No1 wd evr use txt spk on v 4m. lol

I also sent the above text to a dyslexic friend to find out whether he could read it... He never got back to me... :whistle:

Donna
4th-January-2006, 01:48 PM
Text talk! :angry: :angry: :angry:

HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Even in text messages, should only ever be used when ABSOLUTELY necessary!

To bad (not Too bad)

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Rant over.:)

I HATE it too! :angry: Have sympathy rep!

murphy
4th-January-2006, 01:48 PM
What annoyes me more than TXT SPK is people who ....use....far.......too many...dots...

... ... ... ...

Oops! guilty! :blush:

Donna
4th-January-2006, 01:52 PM
Oops! guilty! :blush:

Yep................... I'm guilty too!

drathzel
4th-January-2006, 03:48 PM
What annoyes me more than TXT SPK is people who ....use....far.......too many...dots...rather than proper.....English ....that....and overuse of smileys :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: ;) ;)

That'll be me then!:hug:

David Franklin
4th-January-2006, 03:51 PM
I had this sent to me a while ago...

Tihs is bcuseae the hmuan mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azmanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuoht slpeling was ipmorantt!I don't know how true it is, but personally I can read that a lot easier and quicker than [txt spk]For me, at any rate, it seems to be true - I "see" the scrambled text as words, just not as quickly as normal text.

An interesting comment I heard on "text speak" that runs along the same lines: When you start learning to read, you break the words down phonetically, but once you get fluent, you read complete words as single gestalts. Text speak brings you back down to the phonetic approach - so paradoxically, it is slower to read the abbreviations than the complete words. [Of course, if you achieve similar fluency in text speak this probably no longer holds].

While we're ranting: Until Blackpool or Britroc have a competition in laundry products, a move where you lift your partner off the floor is an aerial or airstep!

Ariel is a brand of washing powder!

azande
4th-January-2006, 03:58 PM
While we're ranting: Until Blackpool or Britroc have a competition in laundry products, a move where you lift your partner off the floor is an aerial or airstep!

:yeah: :wink:

bigdjiver
4th-January-2006, 04:00 PM
...While we're ranting: Until Blackpool or Britroc have a competition in laundry products, a move where you lift your partner of the floor is an aerial or airstep!

Ariel is a brand of washing powder!Ariel: Are her knickers white, or are they not?

Dance Demon
4th-January-2006, 05:56 PM

Guilty M'lud............................................. ...........................:D

Dreadful Scathe
4th-January-2006, 09:59 PM

Ariel was a goddess before she became a washing powder. Maybe these people are just being complimentary. :)

Chicklet
4th-January-2006, 10:10 PM
Ariel was a goddess before she became a washing powder. Maybe these people are just being complimentary. :)
so was she a very small goddess that people could keep in their pockets and then once upon a time she went through a hot wash with a hankie and it turned her into a mermaid???:confused:

ToeTrampler
5th-January-2006, 01:12 PM
She can also be found hanging around Uranus :wink: