Missy D
3rd-January-2006, 02:52 PM
Ask for Simon

www.amset-it.com
simon@amset-it.com

:yeah: Top man:worthy:

ducasi
3rd-January-2006, 02:55 PM
The best way to get a good ranking on Google is to get people to link to you. The higher ranked the linker, the higher your rank is going to be.

So you might find some highly ranked related web sites and see if you can trade links...

bigdjiver
3rd-January-2006, 03:44 PM
The best way to get a good ranking on Google is to get people to link to you. The higher ranked the linker, the higher your rank is going to be.

So you might find some highly ranked related web sites and see if you can trade links...The search engine sites especially love links to their own sites and services.

If you want to find a search engine ranking guru the best way is to do some searches for one. If they can get their own site way up the rankings then they can probably do the same for you.

RogerR
3rd-January-2006, 10:04 PM
Study Spider food . net

bigdjiver
12th-August-2006, 06:47 PM
http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/searchspy/results.htm?fci=1?filter=0&qcat=web

shows a real time display of what people are searching for, which might give some idea of hot topics to include in a website.

(or be a fascinating time-water)

David Bailey
12th-August-2006, 07:49 PM
Ooh, I completely forgot about this thread...

There are a lot of ways to improve your search engine rankings (SEO - Search Engine Optimisation), but basically they fall into "Dishonorable" and "honorable" camps.

"Dishonorable" means are effectively cheats - back ways, trying to manipulate the search engine algorithms artificially, using loopholes etc.

These may well be effective in the short term, but have a few key problems:

You don't know how well they work, as you don't know exactly how the algorithms work (not surprisingly, Google keep this stuff fairly secret), so you could pay El Dodgy SEO Comapny a shedload of cash for mediocre results.
Artificial ways may be targetted to one particular search engine
The actual site itself can become harder to use and to update because you're warping it.
If the algorithm changes (typically to close these loopholes), you're stuffed.

"Honorable" ways can be summarized as, simply, Do It Right.

Follow standard HTML and accessibility guidelines, ensure your content refers to your busines in plain and clear ways, use standard navigation links so that search engines can understand it (i.e. not Flash), follow usability guidelines (look at www.useit.com for a starting point), put in lots of links to other sites, try to get lots of links to your site, keep your content fresh and interesting, and so on.

There's a lot more to it, of course, but SEO is a field of snake-oil merchants.. As a rule, if you have a good, usable, interesting website, which is updated frequently, then you should have lots of visitors and links - so your rankings will rise.

Hope that helps - hey, 8 months too late, but I got there in the end :blush:

bigdjiver
12th-August-2006, 09:32 PM
The search engines vary considerably in the results that they give.

http://comparesearchengines.dogpile.com/OverlapAnalysis.pdf