PDA

View Full Version : The lit. game

Franck
8th-February-2003, 01:28 AM
Here's a new game for your all quiz buffs! :D

Guess the title / author of each of the following book quotes (first lines). 1 point for each correct guess + 5 points for the link (tenuous as it is :D )
Usual rules apply, no search engines until I say so!

1- It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on earth has ever produced the expression: "as pretty as an airport".
2- Marley was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that.
3- I returned from the city about 3 o'clock on that May afternoon, pretty well disgusted with life.
4- It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen.
5- The studio was filled with the rich odour of roses, and when the light summer wind stirred amidst the trees of the garden, there came through the open door, the heavy scent of the lilac, or the more delicate perfume of the pink-flowering thorn.
6- According to the First Scroll of Wen the Eternally Surprised, Wen stepped out of the cave where he had received enlightenment and into the dawning light of the first day of the rest of his life.
7- NOW, what I want is, Facts. Teach these boys and girls nothing but Facts. Facts alone are wanted in life. Plant nothing else, and root out everything else.
8- The drought had lasted now for ten million years, and the reign of the terrible lizards had long since ended.
9- "The cow is there," said Ansell, lighting a match and holding it out over the carpet. No one spoke. He waited till the end of the match fell off. Then he said again, "She is there, the cow. There, now."
10- All children, except one, grow up.

Enjoy :nice:

Franck.

David Franklin
8th-February-2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Franck
Here's a new game for your all quiz buffs! :D

Guess the title / author of each of the following book quotes (first lines).
4- It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen.
1984 - George Orwell

6- According to the First Scroll of Wen the Eternally Surprised, Wen stepped out of the cave where he had received enlightenment and into the dawning light of the first day of the rest of his life.
Thief of Time - Terry Pratchett

Dave

Franck
8th-February-2003, 01:39 AM
hehe, it pays to be up late! :nice:

Well done David, 2 points.

Try to leave a few for everyone else :wink:

Franck.

Heather
8th-February-2003, 12:31 PM
:D Number 10. Peter Pan -J.M.Barrie.

:kiss:
Heather,
xx

Lou
9th-February-2003, 03:15 PM
1- It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on earth has ever produced the expression: "as pretty as an airport".
Douglas Adams - The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul

2- Marley was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that.
Charles Dickens - A Christmas Carol

Alfie
9th-February-2003, 11:08 PM
9- "The cow is there," said Ansell, lighting a match and holding it out over the carpet. No one spoke. He waited till the end of the match fell off. Then he said again, "She is there, the cow. There, The Longest Journey by E.M. Forester

Alfie
9th-February-2003, 11:16 PM
7- NOW, what I want is, Facts. Teach these boys and girls nothing but Facts. Facts alone are wanted in life. Plant nothing else, and root out everything else.Hard Times BY Charles Dickens?

Franck
10th-February-2003, 12:18 AM
Ok... We do have some book worms in here :nice:

Heather, well spotted: 1 point for you
Lou, 2 points for you, and Alfie, 2 points as well...

Still nothing on the theme? Here is a summary. In red, what we already know, and in black, what is still up for grabs :D

1- It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on earth has ever produced the expression: "as pretty as an airport".Douglas Adams - The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul - Lou
2- Marley was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that.Charles Dickens - A Christmas Carol - Lou
3- I returned from the city about 3 o'clock on that May afternoon, pretty well disgusted with life.
4- It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen.1984 - George Orwell - David Franklin
5- The studio was filled with the rich odour of roses, and when the light summer wind stirred amidst the trees of the garden, there came through the open door, the heavy scent of the lilac, or the more delicate perfume of the pink-flowering thorn.
6- According to the First Scroll of Wen the Eternally Surprised, Wen stepped out of the cave where he had received enlightenment and into the dawning light of the first day of the rest of his life.Thief of Time - Terry Pratchett - David Franklin
7- NOW, what I want is, Facts. Teach these boys and girls nothing but Facts. Facts alone are wanted in life. Plant nothing else, and root out everything else.Hard Times - Charles Dickens - Alfie
8- The drought had lasted now for ten million years, and the reign of the terrible lizards had long since ended.
9- "The cow is there," said Ansell, lighting a match and holding it out over the carpet. No one spoke. He waited till the end of the match fell off. Then he said again, "She is there, the cow. There, now.".The Longest Journey by E.M. Forster - Alfie
10- All children, except one, grow up.Peter Pan -J.M.Barrie - Heather

Franck.

TheTramp
10th-February-2003, 01:18 AM
Is the link that they are all to do with time then Franck??

Steve

Franck
10th-February-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Is the link that they are all to do with time then Franck?? Well done Steve... A tenuous link for some of the books and I resisted the temptation to use H.G. Wells' Time Machine :wink:

5 Points to you Tramp, but still 3 books to go...

Franck.

PeterL
10th-February-2003, 09:54 AM

A picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

2001: A Space Odyssey Clarke

Franck
10th-February-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by PeterL
5- A picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

8- 2001: A Space Odyssey Clarke No worries Peter! :)

2 points for you.

Only one more to get:

Franck.

Alfie
10th-February-2003, 11:23 PM
3- I returned from the city about 3 o'clock on that May afternoon, pretty well disgusted with life.Is this from The Thirty Nine Steps by John Buchan?:confused:

Franck
10th-February-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Alfie
3-Is this from The Thirty Nine Steps by John Buchan?:confused: Well done Alfie, you cleaned up! One more point to you :cheers:

Points so far:

Tramp: 5 points
Alfie: 3 points
David Franklin: 2 points
Lou: 2 points
Peter L: 2 points
Heather: 1 point.

I will start working on a new one, but in the meantime, if anyone has a large book-shelf, go for it!

Franck.