PDA

View Full Version : What do you mean by "single"?

El Salsero Gringo
2nd-January-2006, 12:48 PM
There are lots of posts and threads about being/not being single, and posts about whether men (it's always men) say they're single when they're not - but I'm confused about what people mean by the word.

When I was at university, anyone with a girl/boyfriend was "married" - regardless of their legal status, and only people who were unattached were "single". That usage caused a certain amount of confusion in later years. But in reality you can be legally "single" and still attached. Or possible legally married, and unattached.

So how do you use the word "single"?

LMC
2nd-January-2006, 12:56 PM
My view...

Single = not in a 'committed' relationship.

Dates don't count until the two of you have had a discussion as to whether you're both going to stop dating other people and concentrate on building a relationship, which may or may not be permanent, but if we were both looking for permanent and exclusive then we would have to give it our best shot at some point. I'm not even going to assign a time because "it depends" - but probably about 3-6 months maximum would be my personal limit.

El Salsero Gringo
2nd-January-2006, 01:00 PM
I'm not even going to assign a time ... but probably about 3-6 months ...:nice:

Dizzy
2nd-January-2006, 01:02 PM
My view...

Single = not in a 'committed' relationship.

Dates don't count until the two of you have had a discussion as to whether you're both going to stop dating other people and concentrate on building a relationship.

:yeah:

Single to me means someone who has no other significant other in their life, be it that they have only been going out with someone for a couple of months or that they have been living with someone for years.

philsmove
2nd-January-2006, 01:59 PM
When I was at university, anyone with a girl/boyfriend was "married" - regardless of their legal status, "?

So what do you think “Married” means now?

I have quite a few friends who are still married but for all intention purposes single

El Salsero Gringo
2nd-January-2006, 02:03 PM

I have quite a few friends who are still married but for all intention purposes singleI've reverted to a more tradition definition of "married" meaning legally wed. And yes, I've met people who are married but single. If you see what I mean.

Missy D
2nd-January-2006, 02:12 PM

Married are the people that say:-

"oh its been over for years"

"I just stay there for the sake of the kids"

"We sleep in separate room"

"My other half just dont understand"

"I could do with a friend to give me a cuddle"

Translated means:-

They need to see if the grass is greener on the other side and if its offered on a plate they will take it.

Not sure why this is! If I were married and didnt have feelings for my partner anymore then i would just end it and move on.

philsmove
2nd-January-2006, 02:29 PM

Sometimes I wake up grumpy other times I just let him sleep

WittyBird
2nd-January-2006, 02:30 PM
Sometimes I wake up grumpy other times I just let him sleep

Is Snow White ok with that?

Little Monkey
2nd-January-2006, 03:01 PM
Is Snow White ok with that?

:rofl:

Anyway............

Married: Legally wed.

Single: Not having a 'significant other' in your life.

Although one of my friends seem to think you're single as long as your partner doesn't live in the same town as you.......... Which means you can have lots of partners, as long as none of them live in the same town/ city!:rolleyes:

dee
2nd-January-2006, 03:08 PM

"I just stay there for the sake of the kids"

"I could do with a friend to give me a cuddle"

Translated means:-

They need to see if the grass is greener on the other side and if its offered on a plate they will take it.

Not sure why this is! If I were married and didnt have feelings for my partner anymore then i would just end it and move on.

:yeah:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
2nd-January-2006, 08:57 PM

Anyway............

:yeah: This is what I think it means. I can't say i've ever sat around thinking about it...

El Salsero Gringo
2nd-January-2006, 09:09 PM
:yeah: This is what I think it means. I can't say i've ever sat around thinking about it...It all makes perfect sense until you have to fill in an official form (or even a Ceroc membership form) and, for "marital status", choose one of single, married or divorced. (Say, Scoob, where's the one for "attached"?? Zoiks!!!)

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
2nd-January-2006, 09:34 PM
It all makes perfect sense until you have to fill in an official form (or even a Ceroc membership form) and, for "marital status", choose one of single, married or divorced. (Say, Scoob, where's the one for "attached"?? Zoiks!!!)

So do you think there should be another option then?

David Franklin
2nd-January-2006, 09:35 PM

"I just stay there for the sake of the kids"Sounds like the description of the three different styles of Tango:

American Tango is like the courtship when everyone is on their best behavior.
Argentine Tango is similar to the passion during the marriage - the fighting as well as the loving.
Ballroom Tango is when you're only staying together for the sake of the kids.

Baruch
2nd-January-2006, 11:36 PM
Sounds like the description of the three different styles of Tango:

American Tango is like the courtship when everyone is on their best behavior.
Argentine Tango is similar to the passion during the marriage - the fighting as well as the loving.
Ballroom Tango is when you're only staying together for the sake of the kids.
Does that mean Jango is when you're married but sleeping with the neighbour's wife too?

David Franklin
2nd-January-2006, 11:44 PM
Does that mean Jango is when you're married but sleeping with the neighbour's wife too?Surely that would be Swango (http://www.swangoseattle.com/) - (mixture of swing dancing and tango)...

David Bailey
3rd-January-2006, 09:55 AM
Surely that would be Swango (http://www.swangoseattle.com/) - (mixture of swing dancing and tango)...
:what: Blimey, that "Mango" (Morris Dancing / Tango) suggestion doesn't sound too silly now... :eek:

Lynn
3rd-January-2006, 10:47 AM
Surely that would be Swango (http://www.swangoseattle.com/) - (mixture of swing dancing and tango)...I notice they also do Swamba, Swumba, Swa-cha, Swambo and Swalsa! :what: (Bit confused about the Swambo...?)

David Franklin
3rd-January-2006, 10:56 AM
:what: Blimey, that "Mango" (Morris Dancing / Tango) suggestion doesn't sound too silly now... :eek:Apparently Mango is Mexican slang for a very sexy man (source, The Alternative Mexican Spanish Dictionary (http://www.notam02.no/~hcholm/altlang/ht/Mexican_Spanish.1.html)).

Hmmm... Sexy Man, Morris Dancing... Sorry, can't see it!

stewart38
3rd-January-2006, 11:54 AM

Anyway............

Although one of my friends seem to think you're single as long as your partner doesn't live in the same town as you.......... Which means you can have lots of partners, as long as none of them live in the same town/ city!:rolleyes:

Cant vote on definitions as dont agree with them

I think the concept not having a 'significant other' is a bit of a cop out but it will do

I think if people are honest with each other then thats a great start

It takes two to define a 'realtionship'

Ive been 'single' for 18 months although many may not agree with my 'definition', Im happy with it

WittyBird
3rd-January-2006, 11:59 AM
Ive been 'single' for 18 months although many may not agree with my 'definition', Im happy with it

:yeah: :rofl:

El Salsero Gringo
3rd-January-2006, 12:11 PM
Does everyone realises that, at 25 votes to nil, this is one topic on which the Forum appears to have reached a consensus. Has that *ever* happened before?

(Of course, some contrary soul is now going to vote for one of the other options. Let's just hope that DavidJames has already cast his vote!)

stewart38
3rd-January-2006, 12:19 PM
Does everyone realises that, at 25 votes to nil, this is one topic on which the Forum appears to have reached a consensus. Has that *ever* happened before?

(Of course, some contrary soul is now going to vote for one of the other options. Let's just hope that DavidJames has already cast his vote!)

Not me :yeah:

26 now

Trinity
3rd-January-2006, 12:23 PM
I don't think you can dispute this really. Single is single.

David Bailey
3rd-January-2006, 12:35 PM
Not yet... :devil:

LMC
3rd-January-2006, 01:01 PM
I'm almost tempted to break my New Years' Resolution.

Heather
3rd-January-2006, 01:06 PM
It all makes perfect sense until you have to fill in an official form (or even a Ceroc membership form) and, for "marital status", choose one of single, married or divorced. (Say, Scoob, where's the one for "attached"?? Zoiks!!!)

Isn't there usually a 'separated' box on most forms? That's the one I usually tick.
I count myself as 'single' although I am still officially 'married'.
We have been separated for more than 6 years.

:hug: :kiss:
Heather,
xx

Piglet
3rd-January-2006, 01:06 PM
If anyone asks I'm not single.
If I have to fill in a form I am single.

It all makes sense to me :D

stewart38
3rd-January-2006, 01:29 PM
I don't think you can dispute this really. Single is single.

Ok thats sorted

Next subject :flower:

cheeks
3rd-January-2006, 09:59 PM
Mm.... okay

I'm still married (although seperated for over 4 years partner wouldn't agree so have to wait as can't afford to pay battle), legally seperated, and have been single for more than 3-6 (without a doubt).:confused:

:hug:

Dreadful Scathe
4th-January-2006, 11:10 AM

Are you friends familiar with the English Language? :)

Dreadful Scathe
4th-January-2006, 11:23 AM
Mm.... okay

I'm still married (although seperated for over 4 years partner wouldn't agree so have to wait as can't afford to pay battle), legally seperated, and have been single for more than 3-6 (without a doubt).:confused:

:hug:
A lovely cheeky person like you wont be without a partner long ;)

cheeks
4th-January-2006, 02:49 PM
A lovely cheeky person like you wont be without a partner long ;)

:hug: :kiss: thankyou babe........

but isn't 4 year long enough:tears:

:flower:

Lou
4th-January-2006, 07:32 PM
(Bit confused about the Swambo...?)
According to an old work colleague, it stood for She Who Always Must Be Obeyed ;) .