PDA

View Full Version : Do you print or read off the screen

philsmove
2nd-January-2006, 11:20 AM
God's Debris (http://www.andrewsmcmeel.com/godsdebris/) by Scott Adams (creator of Dilbert but absolutely nothing like it).

I downloaded this free copy of this book yesterday, ...

Given a fairly large document to read

Do you print or read on line

ducasi
2nd-January-2006, 12:16 PM
God's Debris is an interesting example... I first read it on a Palm as part of a research study into the usability of so-called "e-books".

I then printed it out for other people to read.

Going back to it, if I can't find my printed copy (it's easier to lose a print-out than a book) I'll have a go at reading it on my computer screen, but it's hard to snuggle in bed with a 17" LCD...

But if I had a book-sized e-book (the Palm was too small,) I'd probably use it.

LMC
2nd-January-2006, 12:28 PM
It depends on 'content'. God's Debris looks like it will be thought provoking, in which case I will probably print out, as I seem to focus better on hard copy - I skim read on screen.

If I'm proof-reading, then definitely hardcopy - I just find it easier to spot errors and scribble, then do the fancy shmancy on-screen post-its/change tracking if required.

El Salsero Gringo
2nd-January-2006, 12:53 PM
... it's hard to snuggle in bed with a 17" LCD....au contraire, mon ami.

ducasi
2nd-January-2006, 12:55 PM
au contraire, mon ami.
When it's on a stand, and has wires hanging out the back?

Maybe you've got a different concept of snuggling to me...

El Salsero Gringo
2nd-January-2006, 01:03 PM
When it's on a stand, and has wires hanging out the back?No one said it would be easy - especially at first - but work at it, and the rewards will come later.

philsmove
3rd-January-2006, 06:22 AM
No one said it would be easy - especially at first - but work at it, and the rewards will come later.

here is the reward

Andy McGregor
3rd-January-2006, 09:56 AM
... it's hard to snuggle in bed with a 17" LCD....

au contraire, mon ami.Maybe ESG's "LCD" definition is different from the rest of us :devil:

I'm quite happy with my 15" :innocent:

Cruella
3rd-January-2006, 01:38 PM
Maybe ESG's "LCD" definition is different from the rest of us :devil:

Lythe, Curvy, Diva ??

robd
3rd-January-2006, 02:28 PM
Lythe, Curvy, Diva ??

Love Cruella's Dancing?

Like Cuddling Di? :whistle:

ducasi
3rd-January-2006, 02:51 PM
Maybe ESG's "LCD" definition is different from the rest of us :devil:
I've figured it out, but unfortunately it's so rude, I can only write it as "L*** C*** D***".

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-January-2006, 11:13 PM
Given a fairly large document to read

Do you print or read on line
Im sure I'd "ignor ot" :)

Unlike Ducasi I think a Palm screen is fine for reading books. Ive probably read around 30 or so books on my palm and have around 60 books Ive not read on it in case Im stuck somewhere. Like most people though I hate reading reams of material from a screen for too long - Palms are the way forward for now but its only a matter of time before things like this are out (http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,58765,00.html)

ducasi
4th-January-2006, 01:08 AM
Unlike Ducasi I think a Palm screen is fine for reading books. Maybe it was the Palm I was using, with the original-style lo-res gray-scale screen, and no good input device to activate scrolling, which meant lots of clicking buttons or using the stylus.

I guess some of the newer ones are better. (Shame Sony stopped making Palm-compatibles, as they looked like they were heading in the right direction.)

McJester
10th-January-2006, 06:01 PM
I guess some of the newer ones are better. (Shame Sony stopped making Palm-compatibles, as they looked like they were heading in the right direction.)

Have you had a look at this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4586800.stm

Nice new device from Sony, basically an electronic book

:hug:

McJester
10th-January-2006, 06:06 PM
One of my nice little IBM Thinkpads and myself have spent many hours cuddled up in bed and I have read a lot of books on it, both fiction and technical.

Mind you that laptop does seem to live permanetly next to the bed, think I may be an email junkie as I check mail as soon as I wake up:blush:

ducasi
10th-January-2006, 07:40 PM
Nice new device from Sony, basically an electronic book

:hug:
Yep – way too expensive, and I wonder about the contrast of that screen...

Oh, and I want colour! :D

(And I want a pony!)