PDA

View Full Version : Non-partner dancing (a.k.a muggle dancing)

ducasi
1st-January-2006, 04:56 PM
I wonder what the views are on the forum about what is sometimes called "muggle" dancing. (A name I don't really like, as it sounds both condescending, and geeky, with its Harry Potter reference.)

I've always enjoyed going out to clubs and dancing to lively, powerful and exciting music.

Last night I went out to a club (http://ducasi.org/blog/2006/01/01/happy-new-year-2006/) to bring in new year with some "muggle" friends, and spent a good two hours at least on the dance floor, dancing "on my own" and having a great time.

Though I wasn't really dancing on my own, I was dancing with my friends, and with everyone on the dance floor – a much more inclusive experience compared to just dancing with one person in a partner dance.

I found that the experience I'd gained in Ceroc made me a better solo dancer, which helped me enjoy it even more.

I've heard people say though that since learning a partner dance they just can't go back to the only form of dancing that the majority of the population know.

So, what's your opinion? What's modern jive done for your "muggle" dancing, did you enjoy it before, and can anyone suggest a better, and less condescending name for what is probably the first and purest dance form we learn?

CeeCee
1st-January-2006, 05:38 PM
originally posted by ducasi
dancing "on my own" and having a great time
really!

a much more inclusive experience compared to just dancing with one person in a partner dance.
not for me

since learning a partner dance they just can't go backI wouldn't want to

"muggle" dancing, did you enjoy it before?
didn’t know what enjoyment was before

El Salsero Gringo
1st-January-2006, 05:57 PM
So, what's your opinion? What's modern jive done for your "muggle" dancing, did you enjoy it before, and can anyone suggest a better, and less condescending name for what is probably the first and purest dance form we learn?The few times I've been muggle-dancing since starting Ceroc, I've found myself automatically reaching for the right hand of the nearest woman. Dancing solo just feels "wrong", somehow - a bit like those dreams where you're called up in assembly and suddenly realise you're naked.

robd
1st-January-2006, 05:57 PM
I very rarely go to clubs, bars, etc now - the sorts of places where solo dancing might be on the agenda but when I did attend them I used to enjoy solo dancing. The problem I found was that the attitude for lots of people (and I suppose the whole late 80s / early 90s dance scene helped to change this to an extent in some environments) was "man dancing...must be on the pull!" - not that anyone goes partner dancing to find a partner for horizontal dancing, of course :wink: This attitude meant I would be quite restrained in terms of how I would dance. Compare this with how I try to dance to the slower tracks now with a suitable partner and I find this much more enjoyable because I can be as flirty as I want to be without the immediate assumption that I am on the pull.

An side-observation for me on this whole debate was how uncomfortable I felt doing a partner dance at a friends recent wedding where almost all of the other guests had no partner dance experience. It just didn't feel right to me, almost like being a show off and I think it had an intimidatory effect on people's willingness to get up and dance a solo dance alongside people in a partner dance.

I hate the term 'muggle' too.

Robert

Feelingpink
1st-January-2006, 06:01 PM
I wonder what the views are on the forum about what is sometimes called "muggle" dancing. (A name I don't really like, as it sounds both condescending, and geeky, with its Harry Potter reference.) ... So, what's your opinion? What's modern jive done for your "muggle" dancing, did you enjoy it before, and can anyone suggest a better, and less condescending name for what is probably the first and purest dance form we learn?
I only know it as "handbag" dancing and haven't done any since trying MJ for the first time about 10 years ago - I just hate the idea. The last muggle dinner dance I went to was about four years ago, where everyone was dancing to ABBA, the women in couples were glaring at me in case I should want to nick their blokes (er, no thanks, I don't poach and having seen them I'd be more likely to get together with the two gay guys at our table), there was a lot of cigarette smoke and a lot of drunken people jiggling around who thought they were totally hilarious. They weren't.

I know that all muggle events are not the same, but I also know that at any given MJ event, I can talk to or dance with 95% of the "attached" blokes with no animosity from other girlies, most places are smoke-free or certainly smoke-aware, there's a choice of dance partners and although some people might have had a few drinks, it's not a leering skinful.

You suggest that muggle dancing is the first and purest dance form we know. I've always thought that dancing in the shower/kitchen or to any kind of music is possibly something we do earlier. When I used to nanny a three-year-old, he would dance around the kitchen to Radio Three with complete lack of self-consciousness. And muggle dancing is also something usually only attempted by adults when at least some alcohol or other substance has been consumed.

ducasi
1st-January-2006, 06:09 PM
You suggest that muggle dancing is the first and purest dance form we know. I've always thought that dancing in the shower/kitchen or to any kind of music is possibly something we do earlier. When I used to nanny a three-year-old, he would dance around the kitchen to Radio Three with complete lack of self-consciousness. And muggle dancing is also something usually only attempted by adults when at least some alcohol or other substance has been consumed. I see "hangbag" dancing as the very same thing as shower & kitchen and the 3-year-old's dancing, except that when there are other people around adults will often require something to remove their self-consciousness before they can return to their childhood form of dance.

Dizzy
1st-January-2006, 06:11 PM
The few times I've been muggle-dancing since starting Ceroc, I've found myself automatically reaching for the right hand of the nearest woman. Dancing solo just feels "wrong", somehow - a bit like those dreams where you're called up in assembly and suddenly realise you're naked.

:yeah: :yeah:
Since starting ceroc, I still go out with non-ceroc frineds and when I go muggle dancing, it just feels wrong :blush:. Just moving my feet from side to side just feels weird. :sick:. I do enjoy the company though so it is just one of those situations that you have to ignore where you are and enjoy being your friends!! :hug:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
1st-January-2006, 06:11 PM
I've always enjoyed going out to clubs and dancing to lively, powerful and exciting music.

Last night I went out to a club (http://ducasi.org/blog/2006/01/01/happy-new-year-2006/) to bring in new year with some "muggle" friends, and spent a good two hours at least on the dance floor, dancing "on my own" and having a great time.

Though I wasn't really dancing on my own, I was dancing with my friends, and with everyone on the dance floor – a much more inclusive experience compared to just dancing with one person in a partner dance.

Club dancing (or whatever you want to call it) and Ceroc are so different that you can't really compare them. I couldn't go clubbing until this year as I wasn't legal yet, but now that I can I love it :clap: it's such a great atmosphere. I love Ceroc too, and do think that it's much safer, and there are very rarely drunk people haha! Partner dancing is great as I feel like i've really learnt how to dance 'properly' in a way, i'm not really very good at 'muggling' very basic wiggling ect. :sad:

I found that the experience I'd gained in Ceroc made me a better solo dancer, which helped me enjoy it even more.

Lucky you, I don't think it's helped me :tears:

I've heard people say though that since learning a partner dance they just can't go back to the only form of dancing that the majority of the population know.

Not true. I think it's good to be able to enjoy both, I do.

So, what's your opinion? What's modern jive done for your "muggle" dancing, did you enjoy it before, and can anyone suggest a better, and less condescending name for what is probably the first and purest dance form we learn?

I've tried writing this reply 3 times as I keep missing the point :rolleyes: As I didn't go to clubs before MJ I can't really answer your first question.I think clubbing is fine to call it for me, don't know if some think thats a bit naff though.

I also think that clubing is a different type of night out from Ceroc.
I think that one of the reasons I enjoy clubing is that I get to go out with some of my other friends who have told me that they won't go to Ceroc with me :sad: wonder why that is? :confused: :whistle: I think Ceroc is a more relaxed atmosphere than going to a club.

Icey
1st-January-2006, 06:24 PM
I used to go to clubs with my friends when I had money to spend (before I got a mortgage :rolleyes: ) and felt a nitwit then and I still do if I go now. I used to be a smoker but now that I've stopped (a year ago today I may add) I find the smoky atmoshpere and very drunk people very offputting. I was one of those people that needed a few drinks inside me to brave the dancefloor. I wish I had found MJ sooner.

I went to my work christmas do and nearly everyone but me was drunk and I just felt very uncomfortable on the dancefloor which was a real eye-opener because at MJ I feel very at home on the dancefoor.

Andreas
1st-January-2006, 06:30 PM

MJ hasn't really done a lot for me in these regards, I never liked to boogy and still don't. I am now better at it but that is due to Samba, Lambada and Salsa, not MJ. In fact, I used to boogy as a means of practicing Cha Cha, Jive and Rock'n'Roll footwork to start with. THAT was geeky :D People looked strangely at me, going hell for leather all night just by myself. They felt pity for me and I tried my best not to be 'disturbed' by some kind soul. Didn't always work, though. However, it was a great way of getting to grips with the basics.

Nowadays the only time that I have a boogy is when I am practicing at home. One exception was last year at Ashton's one night. There was this fast 'Burn the Floor' theme track, the Cha Cha Samba. The girl I was dancing with and I made it a mix of 80% boogy and 20% MJ. As both of us was determined to last till the end we were thoroughly bu**ered by the end of it. That was great fun, though. And don't ask me, I don't know her name either. I am just not good remembering names. :yum:

Andreas
1st-January-2006, 06:32 PM
... and suddenly realise you're naked.
Yeah, but don't you worry! It is REALLY cold. :D

TheTramp
1st-January-2006, 06:32 PM
Never done any non-partner dancing at all.

Have no desire to! :whistle:

ducasi
1st-January-2006, 06:33 PM
I used to go to clubs with my friends when I had money to spend (before I got a mortgage :rolleyes: ) and felt a nitwit then and I still do if I go now. I used to be a smoker but now that I've stopped (a year ago today I may add) ... Congratulations on your year of clean breathing and clear thinking! :flower:

Could it be that people who didn't enjoy clubbing before finding MJ are less likely to enjoy it afterwards?

Is there anyone who has gone from liking "muggle" dancing to disliking it now?

Lynn
1st-January-2006, 06:58 PM
Since starting ceroc, I still go out with non-ceroc frineds and when I go muggle dancing, it just feels wrong :blush:. Just moving my feet from side to side just feels weird. :sick:. I do enjoy the company though so it is just one of those situations that you have to ignore where you are and enjoy being your friends!! :hug:I'm much the same. I used to go to a few dances per year (where people didn't drink or smoke much so none of those issues) and really enjoy myself, (though even then I was trying to partner dance the little basics I knew of jive and cha cha). But its basically people shuffling from foot to foot with a bit of hip wiggle and occasional arm movements and I have to admit that I find it very uninspiring now. Its more of a social interaction thing for me - I get little or no actual dancing pleasure from it myself, but I enjoy being with people who are enjoying dancing.

I always did try to fit in the with the music, do spins etc and still do that a bit but to be honest if I do too much I feel a bit like I'm 'showing off' - everyone else is still doing the shuffle thing, you tend to stand out if you do anything too fancy. And then you aren't really dancing 'with' the others and it loses some of its social aspect. I would still solo dance round the living room/kitchen, but then I can do whatever I want!

philsmove
1st-January-2006, 07:15 PM
Before stating MJ I could not “bop “ and still can’t

I can dance with a partner on our own in a public bar, with 100 people watching, with out feeling self-conscious

If I dance on my own, I feel a complete prat even if every one else is dancing

ducasi
1st-January-2006, 07:26 PM
I can dance with a partner on our own in a public bar, with 100 people watching, with out feeling self-conscious

Why do you think that is? Is it because of the inclusive nature of "bopping" – that you're not actually dancing on your own, you're dancing with everyone, or at least inviting them to watch, while with MJ, when you're dancing it is as if there is really only one other person in the whole room?

philsmove
1st-January-2006, 07:34 PM
Why do you think that is? Is it because of the inclusive nature of "bopping" – that you're not actually dancing on your own, you're dancing with everyone, or at least inviting them to watch, while with MJ, when you're dancing it is as if there is really only one other person in the whole room?

yup I think your right :cheers:

RogerR
1st-January-2006, 07:45 PM
Watching men try to muggle dance usually you see that fine divide between too drunk to care and too drunk to stand. they are not dancing WITH more than one person, until it comes to overtly laddish Madness etc.

Tessalicious
1st-January-2006, 08:12 PM
A very interesting question, I must say.

As a student in London for two years before I started Cerocing, I was quite unusual in that I rarely went clubbing. That was mostly to do with not liking the atmosphere (both the smoky air and the attitude of the people in the clubs) or the music, and not really being a drinker either. On the few occasions that I did go out with my friends to this kind of evening, I made the most of it by 'dancing' (hah!) as much as possible, but was always a little shy about it, and generally found it much easier if specifically interacting with one of my friends - call it partner-dancing, if you will ;) .

Now that I go to some kind of dance class/freestyle most evenings - whether Ceroc, other MJ, or a different dance like ballroom - I don't have much time to go out to clubs with my non-dancing friends anyway (and the ones who want to be able to spend evenings with me regularly have learnt that the only way is to take up Ceroc). But, when I do go, I find that one of two things happen. Either:

a) one or more of the group knows how to dance to some extent, and so will dance with me, in which case I end up doing a miniature MJ with them in the club until they get bored, or

b) no-one knows how to dance MJ or there is no space to partner-dance, in which case I wiggle uncomfortably in a small space, holding my drink and thinking 'Do people really think this is fun? But we all look so silly!'

So, I generally don't bother, since I know I will always have a much better at an MJ night that at a club night, for half the price or less, and meet loads more new lovely people.

As for my old friends that don't dance, well, we'll just have to do lunch.

jivecat
1st-January-2006, 10:03 PM
When I used to do muggle-dancing years ago I enjoyed the music and moving to it and I think it helped with coordination, footwork & responding to the music. However,it was the kind of activity where I felt insular, on my own, despite being in a crowd of people. We used to get up "for a bop" in a crowd but not look at each other, each lost in their own little space.

Whenever I've done muggle-dancing recently it's felt totally absurd, inept and lacking in any grace, variety or interest. I totally miss the communication & cooperation that you get even in the most basic partner dance.

The few times recently that I've muggle-danced it's seemed different again - more like the group-hug of circle dancing! I'm thinking of the staff Christmas do where a bunch of middle-aged ladies let off the leash were doing the Macarena, Birdie Song & Conga with gay abandon. Go with the flow, I say.

One thing's for sure - muggle-dancing and partner dancing don't mix. Partner-dancing looks posey to muggles, even though they might enjoy it as a performance, and inhibits them from taking to the dance floor.

I have to stop myself doing weird stuff with my feet when I muggle dance these days. It gets strange looks.

Piglet
2nd-January-2006, 01:48 AM
I always loved going dancing back in the good old days. The club I went to you would see guys dancing with guys in pairs / groups (macho, punk, alternative guys and yep some were gay, but the majority were hetro), just like the girls really, you would also get guys and girls dancing face to face opposite each other - and you would often get one person dancing on their own on the huge dance floor (but that was usually earlier on in the evening) -I too partook of that particularly delightful activity and loved it to bits - so much I was out dancing every night the club was on.

These days I find that ceroc fills the same little niche of joy for me, but I would never go back to the dancing of my youth - unless I could magically go back to that crowd of people who were absolutely brilliant (but would probably need a couple of stiff drinks first probably).

I never did fall in love with the whole disco scene - never felt totally comfortable with girly girls and smooth looking men and the music - bleurgh!

And it's a big NO from me for muggle dancing!

I went out with a couple of friends to a disco/nightclub over a year ago and hated it - was desperately looking around the room to see if I could spot someone who could ceroc. It really wasn't my idea of fun.

Baruch
2nd-January-2006, 01:51 AM
Before stating MJ I could not “bop “ and still can’t

:yeah: :yeah:
People who know I dance seem to think I'll enjoy muggle dancing too, but for me there's just no comparison. I didn't do it before I took up MJ, and I'm even less likely to now, because it looks so uninspiring and I'd feel like a prat too.

My wife, on the other hand, enjoys both. I think the attraction of the "handbag shuffle" for her is that it's less energetic, requires less thinking and is a way of interacting with a group of friends.

I suppose we're at opposite ends of the spectrum.

killingtime
2nd-January-2006, 03:41 AM
Interesting. I haven't been club dancing since starting ceroc but I will do at some stage I'm sure. I've always enjoyed dancing I've just been aware of the fact that I was never any good at it. For some reason or another I didn't go to clubs much but did enjoy it and loved just losing myself in the music. Like most I'd find I was to self conscious without being a little bit inebriated. Though I do kitchen dancing without any drink at all :D; suppose it's a being aware that other people might be watching you thing.

I think my last club night was at a rock club initially then on to a more cheesy dance club. I've always found moshing sore and a bit pointless (forces people to keep their distance) but done a goth two step and slight nod to it; suppose I went to such clubs more for the music they played and the fact my friends are more likely to turn up to such clubs. Dance music was more fun to dance to (IMHO) but ultimately my moves pretty much consisted of Moving Box; Big Fish, Little Fish and wiggling a bit. I would happily spend a night just doing that though...

Right that's it I'm going club dancing soon to comment on this more.

Oh and I think muggle can be a little condescending though I have used it a bit.

jivecat
2nd-January-2006, 10:56 AM
.....the good old days......

What are you like?! Surely the good old days are actually... NOW.

David Bailey
2nd-January-2006, 05:53 PM
I've been "club dancing" or (whatever it's called) a few times since starting partner dancing, and I can't honestly say I'm any better at it than I was 20 years ago. Probably worse in fact, simply because of lack of practice.

But club dancing is so freestyle and varied anyway, it's difficult to tell what's good style and what's not :)

On a wider note, to me there are 3 "types" of dancing:
- solo
- partner
- group

(Yes, there are overlaps, but let's keep it simple)

And it's very possible to be good at one category, but rubbish at the others, simply because the dynamics and the requirements are so different.

For example, solo dancing almost insists on "showing off" - it's a totally visual experience.
But partner dancing generally has a whole other dimension of "leading your partner", which often means non-visual, or subtle aspects.
And (I imagine) group dancing has a whole "teamwork" and "choreography" ethos, which is different again.

Gadget
2nd-January-2006, 10:02 PM
I "started" dancing solo - was generally on the dance floor four nights out of seven from about 8 till 2am, although I did sit more songs out back then. That was Uni days when I could sleep untill 12 and steal the lecture notes from classmates that I missed :innocent:

That "One person on the dance floor at the beginning of the night" was generally me. If not, then I was second. Goth, rock and indie primerally: moshing with long hair whipping everyone near-by to rock tracks, stomping with posturing to goth ones, pogoing to mod, and reverting to the usual "hand-bag two-step" when I didn't want to frighten any young ladies away :whistle:

I have been back a few times since learning to dance with a partner... but it's sort of hollow - I'm sure I can move better now and with more idea/understanding of musicality - it's just that I can only express so much of it on my own: I feel like I need a partner to 'bounce' off of. This was always the case when "muggle" dancing with someone {I think that the term is condescending too, but is so apt in terms of the meaning JKR wrapped round it :devil:}. It's just that now, I expect/want them to do more than the simple step-slide step-slide with occasional timing changes. :sick:
If I do more, then I'm immediatly branded even more of a show off and the gap between "Oh, it's just Gadget showing off again" and them either walking off or forming a viewing circle grows very slender. :rolleyes: Besides, it's much more fun to dance with someone rather than at or to them.

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
2nd-January-2006, 10:32 PM
Right that's it I'm going club dancing soon to comment on this more.

Ok good idea, i'm going on weds so i'll see if I can remember anything relevant to comment on, but don't know if i'll really feel up to watching lots of other people dancing, especially when alot, if not most will be drunk heheh

Lou
2nd-January-2006, 10:35 PM
posturing to goth ones,

Awww..... Gadge! :hug: I was reading this thread, thinking that I still enjoyed a good Goth-night of throwing shapes with my mates! It's a bit difficult to Gothroc, though, although I did have a fab time last year trying it in a club in Gloucester, to NIN & Marilyn Manson. If you're at the Bauhaus gig in Glasgow at the end of the month, maybe we could have a boogie? ;)

ducasi
3rd-January-2006, 12:01 AM
If you're at the Bauhaus gig in Glasgow at the end of the month, maybe we could have a boogie? Sorry for hijacking my own thread, but if you're in Glasgow on the 29th, I hope you'll also be in Edinburgh at Marco's on the 28! :flower:

Andy McGregor
3rd-January-2006, 12:30 AM
I went to a Christmas '70s themed work party. I was John Travolta (obviously :wink: ). I muggle danced almost all night and had a ball. I say almost because I spotted one of the guys trying to do MJ with a girl who couldn't do it. So, of course, I offered to be his follower bitch. We just did one track but we did get a round of applause :clap: That particular night I really enjoyed myself and didn't feel like I'd in any way slummed it because I wasn't doing something that required years of training to perfect. But I wouldn't want to do it 3-5 nights a week like MJ.

When I was first learning MJ I went through a phase of not wanting to muggle dance: something which I didn't feel when I first learnt ballroom. I suppose the reason was that you couldn't quickstep to Bananarama, Status Quo, or Queen. Nowadays I just like moving my body to music. It's nicer with a partner but there's nothing wrong with doing it on your own every once in a while - just to keep your hand in :whistle:

Lou
3rd-January-2006, 05:30 PM
Sorry for hijacking my own thread, but if you're in Glasgow on the 29th, I hope you'll also be in Edinburgh at Marco's on the 28! :flower:
Sorry, Duncan - am up on a purely goth trip. :na: Will hopefully get a dance at the next BFG, though? :flower:

Mmmmmmm...... goth...... :D

ducasi
3rd-January-2006, 05:38 PM
Will hopefully get a dance at the next BFG, though? :flower: Wouldn't let you leave without at least one or two...

(BTW, congrats on your 2,000th post when it comes :flower: )

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
5th-January-2006, 04:33 PM
Ok peeps? Right, I tried to watch people dancing when I was out last night, ok so here's my wee account. I couldn't really concentrate very well on one person at a time though...
Ok there is the side step- left together, right together. Side to side shuffle, kinda like side step but only really lift up feet don't move. Lot's done with the arms though. Ok, there is the arms in the air pointing finger (jumping optional) :clap: The aeroplane arms, but only a few people do that. Arm circles, also quite rare. Spinning popualr, as in 'returns' between two people and solo spins. Wiggling popualr, back to back, wriggling downwards solo. Guys a fan of jumping up and down, usually in groups hehehe. Some girls a fan of kind of body rolls and general sexiness. Or then there are the boring people who just watch.

Apologies for bad grammer/spelling, a bit hungover today :whistle:

Ash x

killingtime
5th-January-2006, 05:01 PM
Or then there are the boring people who just watch.

You shouldn't say that about yourself.

:na: :flower:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
5th-January-2006, 05:04 PM
You shouldn't say that about yourself.

:na: :flower:
:confused:

killingtime
5th-January-2006, 05:24 PM
:confused:

Umm...

I tried to watch people dancing when I was out last night...

then

Or then there are the boring people who just watch.

I know that you were just watching in the interests of research :flower:.

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
5th-January-2006, 05:28 PM
Actually I wasn't watching that much when we were watching from upstairs yes, but I was MOSTLY dancing, what else am I gonna find to do for 4 hours beside dance? :innocent: I was dancing incredibly badly, worse than usual but as my friend once told me (20 mins ago on msn) "theres no such thing as bad dancing i say! only "unique styles" lol" Ok, yes thats my excuse.

Caro
7th-January-2006, 05:43 PM
I have almost not been clubbing and 'muggle dancing' since I have started ceroc, but on the rare occasions when I have (new year's eve for example), I found that:
- my solo dancing has improved, mainly because I understand a lot more the musicality now; i.e. I can hear phrases, I do the breaks, etc
- depending on the track, sometimes I just instinctively look for somebody to dance with (I can lead some of my friends who do a bit of rock'n'roll or salsa): for example last time there was 'my baby don' care for me' which is one of my favourite songs and I just can't imagine not dancing ceroc on it!

So I guess once in a while I like going clubbing and I can have fun, but most of the time I just go to a ceroc/salsa venue because I enjoy it a lot more.

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
2nd-February-2006, 09:21 PM
After reading this thread when it first started, being Ceroc mad I took a picture of "muggle dancing" when I was out. I hope the people in the picture didn't mind :whistle:

killingtime
3rd-February-2006, 01:59 AM
I hope the people in the picture didn't mind :whistle:

There are people in that picture :confused:?

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
3rd-February-2006, 01:00 PM
There are people in that picture :confused:?
Can't you see them? Maybe you need your eyes tested :devil:

Gadget
3rd-February-2006, 01:51 PM
On a similar vein to this thread, I found this one in the archives:
Poll: Has Ceroc Spoilt Me? (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4100)

Trish
14th-February-2006, 06:06 PM
I've only rarely been clubbing since starting Ceroc. Last time was on a friends hen night, and was an interesting experience. I found that I was fine dancing with one of my friends, who is a bit more extrovert, and we could strut about past each other and have a bit of a laugh, the other friends I was with were more introvert, and to tell the truth made me feel very uncomfortable, as they tended to look at their feet and shuffle about. I can have a good time handbag dancing if someone will dance with me (not Ceroc, just joining in doing silly arm movements for example and generally posing about), but otherwise I feel a bit out on my own. I do tend to want to Ceroc to certain tracks though.

Oh and the other thing I found was I have a strong tendancy to wiggle and do more sexy stuff to certain tracks than I used to before Ceroc. This is fine, except it gets me far more male attention than a happily married woman really wants!!! I'm only enjoying the music!

robd
16th-February-2006, 02:29 PM
This is fine, except it gets me far more male attention than a happily married woman really wants!!! I'm only enjoying the music!

You :love: it really Trish! It keeps him indoors on his toes..............

MartinHarper
16th-February-2006, 08:05 PM
So, what's your opinion? What's modern jive done for your "muggle" dancing?

On holiday, I won a pub competition for some silly "dance like your dad" thing - the idea being to emulate those fantastic wedding moments when some elderly male relative who's perhaps had a few too many decides to leap up and burn up the floor. I felt Modern Jive was good training for bad dancing and Lindy was good training for silly dancing. Or something.

MartinHarper
17th-February-2006, 01:11 AM
For example, solo dancing almost insists on "showing off" - it's a totally visual experience.

It can be.
For me, solo dancing isn't about showing off - it's about connecting to the music. Moving my body to music is hugely enjoyable on some primal level I don't understand.

killingtime
4th-April-2006, 01:35 PM
I finally (a couple of weeks ago now) got around to doing some non-partner dancing at a wedding (though it isn't the same as club dancing really). My sister does do a bit of MJ so I had a few dances with her. I also tried leading a few other women as well though generally not to great effect but a couple certainly got the idea of what was going on.

A few other people did do some form of partner dancing. A bit of ballroom position holds and the occasional twirl. Often there would be group dancing as well (I imagine this is more of a wedding sort of social event specific thing) where everyone held hands and charged at each other.

Anyway with those things out the way dancing without a partner to generally quite dull music was... quite dull. It was ok; it just didn't really hold my interest very long. I was happy to dance to the beat it just felt like I should be doing more. I certainly wouldn't say I'd be inclined to go back to that, in favour or partner dancing, but I'd do it again at other events.

jacksondonut
4th-April-2006, 01:55 PM
From my disco dancing youth:eek: (whereby my cousin and I would 'jive' together sometimes about the ages of 15/16)... to clubbing at a Rave (not so long ago), I have always loved to dance..:clap: :clap:

From being self concious as a youngster, to being happy with myself and able to dance myself silly, whenever, wherever I am, is a real gift for me.

I can let myself enjoy most situations on the dancefloor..... bar one...Its usually parties/weddings etc., whereby no one will be able to jive/ceroc/move on the dancefloor without copious amounts of silly juice... I find this the only environment where I actually feel a bit awkward. Take me to a RAVE, I can join in, take me to a CLUB and i will dance till the early hours, take me to MJ or any other partner dance experience and I will really let my hair down.. I just love the freedom dance has given me.. :clap:

BUT MOST OF ALL.... I LOVE TO DANCE WITH SOMEONE ELSE.. for me, nothing can beat that..:flower: :flower:

:cheers:

ducasi
4th-April-2006, 02:53 PM
My only recent experience of a wedding dance was depressing... There was a bit of ceilidh dancing which was good, as it was easy to find folks who could do that, but the rest... :rolleyes:

CJ
4th-April-2006, 04:31 PM
My only recent experience of a wedding dance was depressing... :rolleyes:

I am sure the happy couple were delighted to have you there sharing in their celebrations!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

clevedonboy
4th-April-2006, 04:36 PM
A friend of mine is looking to book a band for his wedding & has budgeted a considerable sum - I'm trying to persuade him to book Blue Harlem, I'd enjoy dancing at his wedding then

Tiggerbabe
4th-April-2006, 10:49 PM
I'm trying to persuade him to book Blue Harlem, I'd enjoy dancing at his wedding then
That'd be great :clap:. I've got a cousin's wedding at the end of April :D When his sister got married there was a bloke there from Mexico, who was a fab dancer, not sure if he'll be there this time though (I only got one dance with him - but it was the best dance of the night)

Fluteman
9th-April-2006, 01:27 AM
Hmmm... I've a jive partner who doesn't go to any jive classes very often but who's quite good at the range of beginner and simpler intermediate moves. She doesn't usually want to jive all the time when I'm out with her, so I tend to find myself dancing without physical contact with her every so often during an evening. I reckon there's a place for all types of dance, but I must admit that dance, to me, now means partner dance of one sort or another, but that can only make me better at dancing solo, rather than worse, anyway. Eventually I'll get round to having a go at Salsa or Ballroom or whatever, but I'd rather try to become good at jive first :-)

What's a "muggle", anyway? Only someone who's not been introduced to the concept of partner dancing. Once that person's done a few classes, no longer a muggle. It's not, therefore, a word worth the possible risk of offence inherent in its usage.