PDA

View Full Version : I'm New - Help!!

LIBBY
1st-January-2006, 02:23 AM
Hi all. I have just found the site and the discussion group and wondered what the average age of class members is. I would like to attend the Glasgow group but am worried that I am a) too old b) too unfit c) too thick!
Can you give me an idea of what the class is like? Many thanks and a Happy New Year to all. :flower:

Icey
1st-January-2006, 02:32 AM
Hi Libby, Welcome to the forum.
Take the plunge and try the first class you can. It's great fun, the people are friendly and dancing is a great way to enjoy yourself, make new friends and get a little fitter.

Icey :flower:

I'm afraid I can't comment on the Glasgow classes as I'm in London, but once other forumites get in from the NY celebrations they'll tell you all about it

TheTramp
1st-January-2006, 02:53 AM
a) too old b) too unfit c) too thick!
Sounds like most of the Glasgow dancers :whistle:

Of course, I won't be going back to Glasgow now. Ever. :what:

ducasi
1st-January-2006, 06:31 AM
Sounds like most of the Glasgow dancers :whistle:

Of course, I won't be going back to Glasgow now. Ever. :what:
:yeah:

There's all ages, from 18 to ... I don't know ... 50's? 60's? Lots of 30- and 40-somethings. I'd say the age profile on Wednesday at the GUU, and on Thursday at Rutherglen is slightly older than at the Tuesday night class at Jumpin' Jacks, but it's not a big difference.

If you think you're unfit, then Ceroc is a good way to change that. The beginner's classes are fairly easy, and if you get tired you can stop.

And like Trampy said, if you're thick you'll fit in well – lots of us still don't know our left from our right... :wink:

timbp
1st-January-2006, 09:19 AM
lots of us still don't know our left from our right
But it's so easy! The left foot is the one furtherest from the stage.

LIBBY
1st-January-2006, 12:01 PM
That's good that there is a sense of humour!!!!! So - what to wear?? And on the feet?? Will we fit in? I like the sound of oldies being there - I will fit right in there! I take it that it's not all burds with legs up to here and Ballroom dancing smiles? I don't think I have ever felt this nervous about attending a class in my life - and I have done a few! I feel I need to know a bit before going. Sorreeee!

Tiggerbabe
1st-January-2006, 12:47 PM
But it's so easy! The left foot is the one furtherest from the stage.
Not if you're a bloke at JJs in Glasgow it's not :rofl: unless Franck makes you change sides of course :whistle:
I never seem to have a problem with my feet, it's my hands I get all tongue-tied with :eek:

Libby - just go for it! They are a fantastic crowd at JJs on a Tuesday - and then if you enjoy it you can head to Rutherglen on Thursday and Glasgow Uni the following week when it starts up again :clap:

Just wear normal clothes, but I'd advise layers so that you can take something off if you get too hot. Also wear smooth soled shoes that you are comfortable in and are not going to fall off your feet - not trainers, as the soles are too sticky.

Piglet
1st-January-2006, 01:02 PM
Libby - just go for it! They are a fantastic crowd at JJs on a Tuesday - and then if you enjoy it you can head to Rutherglen on Thursday and Glasgow Uni the following week when it starts up again :clap:

:yeah: From what little I know from the couple of visits I've had to Glasgow and all the Glasgow dancers that I've met at different venues in Scotland. And then you can try some of the other Scottish venues.... we've got a great Beach Ballroom here in Aberdeen!

drathzel
1st-January-2006, 01:11 PM
That's good that there is a sense of humour!!!!! So - what to wear?? And on the feet?? Will we fit in? I like the sound of oldies being there - I will fit right in there! I take it that it's not all burds with legs up to here and Ballroom dancing smiles? I don't think I have ever felt this nervous about attending a class in my life - and I have done a few! I feel I need to know a bit before going. Sorreeee!

Ha ha ha ha ha! No! I felt nervous my first time too, only 1 year and 4 months ago! But its absolutely fine the first night! Make sure you speak to taxi dancers and teachers they will always make you feel welcome. I never knew anything before i went, and it was fine. Make sure you wear something comfortable, but not trainers.:hug:

ducasi
1st-January-2006, 01:32 PM
... I take it that it's not all burds with legs up to here ... If only! :sad:

Just kidding! :wink:

CeeCee
1st-January-2006, 05:24 PM
Hi LIBBY welcome to the Forum

originally posted by LIBBY
I don't think I have ever felt this nervous about attending a class in my life

Nervous of what? The super music, friendly people, great social life, improved fitness, enhanced confidence and a genuine reason to buy more clothes and shoes.

Just go for it, what have you got to lose?

philsmove
1st-January-2006, 07:51 PM
So - what to wear?? !

Hi Libby

You will find just about every dress style imaginable

From jeans and T shirt to some pretty flashy dresses

You may be more comfortable with long sleeves

Avoid loose dangly things ; chunky bracelets and sharp rings

For more advice look at the ceroc home page

http://www.ceroc.com/nonmembers/

WittyBird
1st-January-2006, 07:53 PM
You may be more comfortable with long sleeves

I disagree with this bit. Short sleeves and strappy tops are most comfortable for us Ladies

TheTramp
1st-January-2006, 08:01 PM
:yeah:

I've never known anyone say that they're more comfortable with long sleeves before....

LIBBY
2nd-January-2006, 01:30 AM
Thanks for all your tips - with a bunch like you, how can I go wrong. I will be attending the class in Glasgow next week - depending on hubby's shifts. I hope Glasgow is ready for what is about to be unleashed!!!!!! Libby x :clap:

Piglet
2nd-January-2006, 01:34 AM
Good for you Libby - be sure to let us know how much you like it!:hug: :hug:

thewacko
2nd-January-2006, 08:44 PM
Short sleeves and strappy tops are most comfortable for us Ladies
:flower: and a thong:clap: :clap: :clap:

LIBBY
2nd-January-2006, 10:13 PM
Hmmmmmm....... a thong? Now I draw the line at that (if you pardon the pun). Dental floss up your bum while you writhe about trying to free it? Then again, maybe I would look like I was doing the lambada. Or having an epileptic fit!:sick:

WittyBird
3rd-January-2006, 01:15 PM
:flower: and a thong:clap: :clap: :clap:
Goes without saying really doesnt it? No one wants VPL:rolleyes:

Piglet
3rd-January-2006, 05:47 PM
No one wants VPL:rolleyes:
I do! :rolleyes: (it's either an age thing or an I've had a child thing or I'm not seeing my man tonight thing or an I really don't care thing:rofl: whichever excuse I choose to use at the time but I'd never ever ever wear a thong to dancing - much rather do a CJ :whistle: than wear a thong)

TiggsTours
3rd-January-2006, 05:57 PM
Long sleeves are better:confused: That's a new one on me!

Short sleeves, definately, firstly, you won't get so hot, secondly, no chance of them getting in the way of your hands, or getting caught on someone elses clothing. Shoes, something comfortable that won't come off, but without rubber grippy soles (so not trainers). With tops, beware of loose fitting vest strap tops, you spend the whole night trying to make sure it doesn't show more than you intended!

Don't be nervous though, learning to dance was the best thing I ever did, I've met some fantastic people, found something I truly love, have the best social life out of everyone I know (who doesn't dance), only stay in when I actually really want to, I've got fit, and stayed young. I often say to people that I think dancing keeps you young, everyone I know who dances looks far younger than their age, I think its because we're always smiling.

Also, as for age, I know of people who started when they were young teenagers, and I know people in their 80s who still dance! Its the most ageless social life you could possibly have!

Relax, enjoy and keep coming back for more, you'll never regret it!