PDA

View Full Version : Greenwich Ball - how to improve it??

Russell Saxby
31st-December-2005, 07:17 PM
Ok - feedback seems to have been generally positive

The only downsides appear to have been

it was a wee bit crowded upstairs but to be honest it was difficult to judge how many to let in, and I did expect more to go downstairs esp once you could cut through the restaurant.
Having to go outside to get to the blues room but then i did not expect it to be that cold either :mad:
Music was a bit quiet in the upstairs part of the blues room until after the restaurant had closed
Not going on to 1am.

That aside I thought the venue was fab, and really want to use it again in the near future - a Spring Ball perhaps. I am guessing the venue make a lot more money from a wedding, and I will be surprised if they have any Saturdays available. Wot about a Friday???

Now if only we can sort out the restaurant :whistle:

I am wondering how many people would be interested in a meal first. If we had enough takers (say 30 people) we could take over the restaurant. Maybe just a 2 course meal - nothing to heavy before dancing - at say 7-7.30pm, dinner could be finished by 8.30pm - 9pm.The blues room could then officially open at 8.30 - 9pm with easy access and music nice & loud from the off. Any thoughts???

Not sure what we can do about the finish time, I will check, to see the chances of an extension.

:cheers: Happy New Year :cheers:

Russell

WittyBird
31st-December-2005, 07:26 PM
Whatever you decide to do - count me in.

Needs to go on longer. My only problem

Dizzy
31st-December-2005, 07:47 PM
Whatever you decide to do - count me in.

Needs to go on longer. My only problem

:yeah: :yeah:

I think that a meal beforehand would be a nice and different idea. Agree with WB that it should go on a little longer as the only change. :flower:

Cruella
31st-December-2005, 08:02 PM
Personally i don't eat before i go dancing so the meal doesn't neccesarily appeal to me. But i'm sure i could force a salad down my throat if it meant getting the venue for longer. I actually thought that apart from the early finish it was a near perfect night. :flower:

Zebra Woman
31st-December-2005, 09:31 PM
All in all one of my top 5 favourite freestyles nights this year.

With a 1PM finish, and louder music in the blues room...it probably would have been.

Just one other thing I would change - That bouncer who wandered around the dancefloor 'bouncing' into people - get rid of him! :angry:

Like Cruella, I'm not fussed about eating then dancing as I'd rather have time to digest, but I would join in to be sociable.

Spring Ball sounds like a fab idea Russ :clap: . I would prefer Saturday to Friday as it is a 2hr drive for us you know...:really:

ZW

David Bailey
31st-December-2005, 11:22 PM
Firstly, can I just :clap: and :worthy: to you for actively soliciting feedback, even on what was a superb event - you're a true professional, and that's how you create world-class events.

Having said that, I'll try to think of niggles - and it's not easy...

it was a wee bit crowded upstairs but to be honest it was difficult to judge how many to let in, and I did expect more to go downstairs esp once you could cut through the restaurant.

:what: ? I didn't think it was overcrowded at all - and believe me I'd be the first to complain if I thought it was. Maybe my standards are low, I'm probably more used to the scrum that is Ashtons and Finchley. I thought the numbers were fine, though.

Having to go outside to get to the blues room but then i did not expect it to be that cold either :mad:
Yes, that was a tiny bit of a pain, but mainly because it was a trek - and blimey, I think most of us can live with 5 seconds of cold. After 10pm it was fine with the shortcut though. Hmmm... maybe a bit more obvious sign-age on the doors (ie. "This was to the Blues Room" sort of thing) would have helped?

Music was a bit quiet in the upstairs part of the blues room until after the restaurant had closed
Yes - and also it wasn't clear to me at the start that the upstairs bit was a dance area - again, possibly this could have been made clear, but I dunno how, and it was pretty damned clear once people started dancing there of course :)

With the blues room - I realize all the DJ stuff was downstairs, but I wonder if it might not have been better to put the DJ(s) upstairs, and leave the downstairs for a chillout / practice room? It felt a little disconnected to me in the upstairs bit, not quite as much atmosphere, and I think that's mainly because I couldn't see the DJ.

Not going on to 1am.
Yeah, I guess that's de rigeur now for "balls". But I was under the impression on setting out that it finished at 11.30pm, so midnight was actually better than I'd thought :)

That aside I thought the venue was fab, and really want to use it again in the near future - a Spring Ball perhaps.
Definitely - and can you imagine how much better the view of the river would be when the nights get lighter? :drool:

Wot about a Friday???
Count me in.

I am wondering how many people would be interested in a meal first. If we had enough takers (say 30 people) we could take over the restaurant. Maybe just a 2 course meal - nothing to heavy before dancing - at say 7-7.30pm, dinner could be finished by 8.30pm - 9pm.The blues room could then officially open at 8.30 - 9pm with easy access and music nice & loud from the off. Any thoughts???
Not really my thing to be honest - I was happy with a couple of cookies and some fruit. I reckon a sit-down dinner would just add a whole new level of complexity without much benefit. But then again, you never know - it might catch on, and I know the dinner-dance idea's been mooted a few times recently by other organisers...

Again, I had to struggle to find any niggles, and they're all pretty minor. It was a great night - best I've been to all year.

Lynn
1st-January-2006, 03:48 AM
With a 1PM finish, and louder music in the blues room...it probably would have been.1pm? Dancing all night then? :rolleyes:

Sounds like it was a fab event. If you do a spring one can someone PM me and let me know, might consider a little spring dancing tour and this sounds like it would be a great event to go to!

Zebra Woman
1st-January-2006, 12:37 PM
1pm? Dancing all night then? :rolleyes:

Thanks Lynn :hug:

Interesting slip...made me think... hmm ....

Dancing all throught the night with a big 'Trafalgar House Brunch' in the dining area to finish. Now that would be cool. :wink:

I would definitely be up for 'Going Large' at that point. :devil:

ZW

El Salsero Gringo
1st-January-2006, 01:05 PM
I think a Dinner-Dance is a nice idea - certainly a bit different from your usual work dinner-dance (do people still have those, or did they go out in the late seventies?)

I liked the venue, but I thought there should have been a sign - "this venue is smaller than it may appear" - because the pillar, the join in the floor, the piano and the tables all conspired to take up quite a lot of the room. There were a lot of tables (I seem to recall) stacked to the right of the doors as one went into the main hall - would it be possible to move them?

The way the venue was decorated and lit was great, and I'd like to go there again.

Russell Saxby
1st-January-2006, 01:39 PM
I think a Dinner-Dance is a nice idea .

I think it could be very good, I might even be able to get the setting up all finished and join a table. Will certainly look into it.

I liked the venue, but I thought there should have been a sign - "this venue is smaller than it may appear" - because the pillar, the join in the floor, the piano and the tables all conspired to take up quite a lot of the room. There were a lot of tables (I seem to recall) stacked to the right of the doors as one went into the main hall - would it be possible to move them?

The way the venue was decorated and lit was great, and I'd like to go there again.

The tables were in fact big stage blocks sat in front of a big bar, that is used for some functions. Too big to be moved - first thing I asked when booking the hall.

The dance floor only used to be a third of the size, the rest was carpet, hence we have never used the venue before. But not so long ago they put the floor all the way through.

:cheers: