PDA

View Full Version : Hammersmith town hall dances - what are they like?

marty_baby
31st-December-2005, 03:31 PM
Hiya All,

(Oh man, how organised is this! I already planning Jan's dancing! :na: I'm coming to london for Sun 29th - so.... while in town.... :nice: )

Sat 28th Jan - there is apparently a dance on at Hammersmith town hall

What are these dances like?
Music?
Floor?
Smoking in main hall?
etc

And, importantly for me, whats the parking like?
(I'm planning on driving down, do the dance, then on to Dartford after the dance)

Cheers
Martin :)

David Bailey
31st-December-2005, 05:02 PM
What are these dances like?
Busy - big hall, lots of dancers (400-odd I reckon) from all over the place. Can get crowded in places.

Music?
Dunno - used to be average, but I think people have commented favourably on it recently.

Floor?
Yes, there's definitely a floor. :innocent:

Smoking in main hall?
Not as far as I know.

And, importantly for me, whats the parking like?
(I'm planning on driving down, do the dance, then on to Dartford after the dance)
Depends when you get there. I'm told that if you time it right you can park in the adjacent Town Hall car park, but I reckon that's an urban myth, I've never managed it.

There is parking on various side roads around there after 6.30, but it's not the easiest of places to drive around, there's a one-way system at Hammersmith flyover, so it can be a bit of a challenge finding a space nearby. But that's West London for you.

LMC
31st-December-2005, 05:31 PM
Enormous hall! Can get hot and crowded, especially up by the stage. At the moment, it doesn't look like there's a lot else happening on 28 January (although I only checked uk-jive.co.uk). If there aren't many other London-ish events, Hammersmith will be heaving. Thins out after 11.30/12.00.

Music - MoR IMO :shrug:

Floor is OK, but there are holes in places and the last time I went it was filthy (I was kicking biscuit crumbs or something out of the way)

No smoking in the main hall, but is allowed in the bar which opens off the hall. Smoke doesn't seem to come into the hall too much though.

If you get there by about 8.30/9.00 pm then you should get a space in the car park (right turn just before the town hall - which is where the one-way system starts).

I had a fantastic time the last time I went to Hammersmith - but the previous two times were very so-so. Given the choice between Hammersmith and "somewhere else" I wouldn't necessarily go to Hammersmith.

marty_baby
31st-December-2005, 05:44 PM
Thanks for that guys :)
Another new place to look fwd to going to!

...um... another question - bit of a silly one....

London Congestion Charge:
Does this apply to hammersmith?
If it does - how do I pay the £5 or whatever it is???

Cheers
Martin :nice:

PS:
You guys going to Ealing tonight? :hug:

LMC
31st-December-2005, 05:46 PM
Congestion charge doesn't apply on a Saturday :)

Oh, and in theory you're supposed to pay for the council car park, but I never have (so sorry, can't remember how much - a bit of a rip-off IIRC) and no-one else seems to pay either - and I've not heard of anyone getting a ticket. Your call :wink:

Won't be at Ealing I'm afraid, so can I have 2 dances at Hammersmith to make up for it please? :D

marty_baby
31st-December-2005, 05:52 PM
Sure you can LMC!... I'm the guy with the big nose, wierd "Z" in my 1st move, and enough aftershave hosed on - to kill a billygoat from 10 yards! :rofl:

Seriously tho - it would be my pleasure... and thanks for the prompt replies - I think Jan is all planned out now... dancewise...kinda.... :rolleyes:

Martin :flower:

ChrisA
31st-December-2005, 07:20 PM
Depends when you get there. I'm told that if you time it right you can park in the adjacent Town Hall car park, but I reckon that's an urban myth, I've never managed it.

If the barrier's up you can get in and park there - have done several times. Once or twice they've put the barrier down during the evening. If so, don't be tempted to try and get out round the back over the kerb, the road behind doesn't actually let you out anywhere.

Asking the night watchman to open the barrier for you is easier, and the times I've had to it's been painless enough.

But I don't often go to Hammersmith these days. It's invariably a kickfest and usually the music isn't to my taste either (but you knew that already :whistle: )

WittyBird
31st-December-2005, 07:27 PM
PS:
You guys going to Ealing tonight? :hug:

Yes please come and say hello.