PDA

View Full Version : Glitter Ball Bedford 29th December

stewart38
28th-December-2005, 05:05 PM
So who going to this a 9pm to 2am 'event'

I hear there are a few tickets left

TiggsTours
28th-December-2005, 05:27 PM
Me, me, me! Going to be fab! Always was the BEST event of the year, so glad its back! All the guys in their sexy tuxes, and the opportunity to wear a proper ballgown, like I'd never be able to wear anywhere else! Ooh, I just can't wait!

jacksondonut
28th-December-2005, 05:30 PM
Hi Stewart!

was wondering when this one would get started.. well done.. :clap:

I'd love to know who will be going too.. Linda and I will be there in our posh frocks... if i can find one...:rofl: :rofl:

We went to Daventry last night and had a nice time, but really looking forward to my first ever GLITTER BALL.. hopefully will bump into you there and if youre feeling brave, we can have a dance...!!! :D

Jan

jacksondonut
28th-December-2005, 05:31 PM
Me, me, me! Going to be fab! Always was the BEST event of the year, so glad its back! All the guys in their sexy tuxes, and the opportunity to wear a proper ballgown, like I'd never be able to wear anywhere else! Ooh, I just can't wait!

Hopefully I will get to meet you too..:D

Jan x

Little Em
28th-December-2005, 05:36 PM
Hopefully I will get to meet you too..:D

Jan x

you get about a bit dont ya?
:wink:

:hug:

stewart38
28th-December-2005, 05:46 PM
Hi Stewart!

was wondering when this one would get started.. well done.. :clap:

I'd love to know who will be going too.. Linda and I will be there in our posh frocks... if i can find one...:rofl: :rofl:

We went to Daventry last night and had a nice time, but really looking forward to my first ever GLITTER BALL.. hopefully will bump into you there and if youre feeling brave, we can have a dance...!!! :D

Jan

:waycool:

Yes ill have my sexiest tuxes I can find on, may even persuade TT for another dance :wink:

jacksondonut
28th-December-2005, 06:02 PM
you get about a bit dont ya?
:wink:

HIYA!!

Lovely to see you last night, had a good time, but was knackered and left at 12.00, also Linda has to work today...:sad: yeah, busy week this week, have a party on Friday at my house, so got to tidy up this place, as it looks like a bomb has dropped.... :rofl: that is it then and back to normality next week.... :tears: met Steve and Robd, so that was nice, lovely little movers they both were too!!!:clap:

jacksondonut
28th-December-2005, 06:05 PM

Yes ill have my sexiest tuxes I can find on, may even persuade TT for another dance :wink:

mmmmm ... well, i will be looking, but how will I know its you.... :wink:

stewart38
28th-December-2005, 06:08 PM
mmmmm ... well, i will be looking, but how will I know its you.... :wink:

When you say to someone is that 'Jack Dee' in the corner, you will have found me !:waycool:

Minnie M
28th-December-2005, 06:11 PM
:yeah: :clap: :yeah:
I have been to all of them - it was the pioneer of all MJ/Swing balls - getting really excited. I have heard all the 'old' crowd will be there too :clap:

I think we have taken over the Travel Lodge in Bedford - once I found out about the £10 per room offer and let everyone know :blush: even the band are staying there

Looking forward to meeting you jacksondonut :flower:

jacksondonut
28th-December-2005, 06:11 PM
mmmmmmmmm....oh dear, who is Jack Dee? (is he famous)?? :blush:

jacksondonut
28th-December-2005, 06:14 PM
I have been to all of them - it was the pioneer of all MJ/Swing balls - getting really excited. I have heard all the 'old' crowd will be there too :clap:

I think we have taken over the Travel Lodge in Bedford - once I found out about the £10 per room offer and let everyone know :blush: even the band are staying there

Tried to find you in Daventry last night.. some girl must have thought i was nuts...(i thought id seen a piccy of you, but got it wrong...how embarrasing is that...) please tell me what you look like.... please dont say 'Jack Dee' ... :rofl:

jacksondonut
28th-December-2005, 06:21 PM
Bless ya honey :flower: :flower:

xx

What about Minnie Mouse?? x

jacksondonut
28th-December-2005, 06:33 PM
Actually, i was quite interested in the menu board behind him.. must be getting pretty close to teatime... ... :rofl:

Andy McGregor
28th-December-2005, 07:39 PM
are you sure thats him???... i can see the hint of a smile!!:what: :eek: :rofl: :devil:But no indication that he owns and iron :devil:

clevedonboy
28th-December-2005, 07:41 PM
Saxylady & I will be there - will be looking for somewhere for a good breakfast on Friday as well - Travelodge pre packed breckie just doesn't appeal

pic of us for those we don't know - feel free to come and make yourself known

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=150922#post150922

Minnie M
28th-December-2005, 08:39 PM
When you say to someone is that 'Jack Dee' in the corner, you will have found me !:waycool:
:yeah: look forward to a dance Stewart :clap: and from clevedonboy too please :flower:

(see you clevedonboy and saxy lady at the Travel Lodge - are there any other forumites staying there ?)

TiggsTours
29th-December-2005, 10:09 AM

I'm sure I could be persuaded. :flower:

TiggsTours
29th-December-2005, 10:10 AM

I'm staying there too! Looking forward to seeing you Minnie. :hug:

Missy D
29th-December-2005, 10:21 AM
Why does everything have to fall on the same nights. I really wanted to go to Daventry and Ashtons on the 27th and now i want to go to Greenwich and Bedford tonight!

Nothing great on 28th or 30th infact nothing on now for weeks (i dont do New Years Eve).

stewart38
29th-December-2005, 10:21 AM
Well at least you have a sense of humour :rofl:

as well as the looks of Brad Pit thanks :nice:

jacksondonut
29th-December-2005, 05:13 PM
Looking forward to meeting you all tonight at the Ball tonight... am so excited....!! :clap: : :clap:

I will try and spot some of you, so wish me luck.. :flower: :flower:

See ya later..
:clap: :clap:

stewart38
30th-December-2005, 02:56 PM
Thanks for all the lovely dances of the forumites BUT

To pay £28 to queue for a drink for 20 mins at the bar which was then very expensive

To queue for a coffee for 40 mins, why couldnt they sort that out it would have taken 2 mins :mad: :mad:

To have the last 2 hrs of the night taken up with piano music which would be better in a las Vegas hotel and no dancing at all :mad: :mad: :mad:

If I want to sip coffee and make small talk ill do it at Cafe Uno not pay £28 for it :mad:

No I wont be going back :mad:

TiggsTours
30th-December-2005, 03:43 PM
Sorry you didn't have a good night Stewart, but the Glitter Ball isn't just about the dancing.

Its to pay £28 for a really classy do, where everyone REALLY makes an effort, not just puts on a nice frock.

To pay £28 to have even numbers, on an uncrowded dance floor.

To pay £28 for a 10 piece band, the likes of which you will NEVER see at any other dance venue, as there is no room, and they are too expensive.

The longest I queued for a drink (don't know what you were drinking, but a glass of wine was £1.70, a coke £1, and pint of larger £2, don't really call any of those overpriced, just standard bar prices) was about 5 mins.

The queue for coffee was long, that is down to the dive in there quick mentality that everyone has, rather than just enjoying the dancing that did continue for about half an hour while everybody else was queuing, then joining the queue once it had died down alot, then finding there was still plenty left (quite a few went for seconds).

And the hour & a half of piano music started at 12:30, so after most dance events have finished anyway, and gave a nice civilised way to unwind, chat to friends, enjoy the coissants and tea & coffee, instead of the music coming to an abrupt halt at midnight and then being ushered out the door within the next 10 mins! If you noticed, quite a few people found it perfectly possible to dance blues to the piano anyway, a lovely way to end the evening.

I personally WILL be going back, so please don't anyone be put off by just one person's opinion.

Thank you for my lovely dances, Stewart, I enjoyed them a great deal, another highlight in an evening that was full of them, for me at least, and for everybody I spoke to about it.

TT. :flower:

bigdjiver
30th-December-2005, 03:55 PM
Thanks for all the lovely dances of the forumites BUT

To pay £28 to queue for a drink for 20 mins at the bar which was then very expensive

To queue for a coffee for 40 mins, why couldnt they sort that out it would have taken 2 mins :mad: :mad:

To have the last 2 hrs of the night taken up with piano music which would be better in a las Vegas hotel and no dancing at all :mad: :mad: :mad:

If I want to sip coffee and make small talk ill do it at Cafe Uno not pay £28 for it :mad:

No I wont be going back :mad:Which is why I did not buy a ticket, despite knowing that I would be suffering severe dance withdrawal symptoms by now. I want/need to dance, not wear a tux, not to queue for sustenance, not to hear piano music. The Glitter Ball ihas made a welcome return for those that like that sort of thing. Last time I hated looking around the room looking at all the lovely, undanced ladies whilst listening to the piano. I guess I am just too low class for balls. There is another bar with a small dance floor upstairs. Last time I wanted to be bluesing up there. Perhaps someone could work with John and have a supplemental event?

TiggsTours
30th-December-2005, 03:59 PM
Which is why I did not buy a ticket, despite knowing that I would be suffering severe dance withdrawal symptoms by now. I want/need to dance, not wear a tux, not to queue for sustenance, not to hear piano music. The Glitter Ball ihas made a welcome return for those that like that sort of thing. Last time I hated looking around the room looking at all the lovely, undanced ladies whilst listening to the piano. I guess I am just too low class for balls. There is another bar with a small dance floor upstairs. Last time I wanted to be bluesing up there. Perhaps someone could work with John and have a supplemental event?
Which is exactly why I love the Glitter Ball! So many dances, even good ones, are just same old, same old, this is the one dance a year, at the right time of year, that is just that little bit special. To me, opening up the supplemental dance upstairs would mean that guys would stop wearing tuxes, girls would stop wearing ballgowns, everybody would go the same old (albeit nicer version) dancewear they wear day in day out, and it would kill off that exclusivity, and I'd stop going!

stewart38
30th-December-2005, 04:28 PM
Which is exactly why I love the Glitter Ball! So many dances, even good ones, are just same old, same old, this is the one dance a year, at the right time of year, that is just that little bit special. To me, opening up the supplemental dance upstairs would mean that guys would stop wearing tuxes, girls would stop wearing ballgowns, everybody would go the same old (albeit nicer version) dancewear they wear day in day out, and it would kill off that exclusivity, and I'd stop going!

Loved dancing with you to :flower: :flower:

How could you compare that to Ashtons ? With the food the black tie etc all at Ashtons but for £15. What ceroc should do is have a ball on moving boat down the Thames

If id known the dancing ended at 12 i wouldnt have gone and loads of people thought the music would start again

Anyway its for some people and not for others, my coffee comment stands, you treating your paying guess poorly .Nothing to do with everyone rushing it was the way it was set up. There was no bar then so was coffee or nothing

stewart38
30th-December-2005, 04:30 PM
The longest I queued for a drink (don't know what you were drinking, but a glass of wine was £1.70, a coke £1, and pint of larger £2, don't really call any of those overpriced, just standard bar prices) was about 5 mins.

TT. :flower:

Glass of red wine and a pint of lemonade and lime was £5.20 and £4.70 2nd time :sad:

queue under 10 mins was after midnight :sad:

TiggsTours
30th-December-2005, 04:35 PM
Loved dancing with you to :flower: :flower:

How could you compare that to Ashtons ? With the food the black tie etc all at Ashtons but for £15. What ceroc should do is have a ball on moving boat down the Thames

If id known the dancing ended at 12 i wouldnt have gone and loads of people thought the music would start again

Anyway its for some people and not for others, my coffee comment stands, you treating your paying guess poorly .Nothing to do with everyone rushing it was the way it was set up. There was no bar then so was coffee or nothing
I guess the difference is that, I didn't really enjoy the Black & White Ball that much. When I go dancing, I at least like to have room on the floor to move! The difference being that, I didn't go into the forum on Wednesday, go into the thread about it, and immediately start telling everyone what an awful night I had, and why I felt it necessary to leave before midnight, putting a dampner on the whole thing for those who did enjoy it, and putting other people off the idea of trying it in future.

TiggsTours
30th-December-2005, 04:37 PM
Glass of red wine and a pint of lemonade and lime was £5.20 and £4.70 2nd time :sad:

queue under 10 mins was after midnight :sad:
I went to the bar 4 times in the evening, only once after midnight, and never waited more than 5 mins, I guess my timing was just right.

TheTramp
30th-December-2005, 04:40 PM
Oh. Come on Amanda....

People are entitled to their views, and expressing them. Stewart didn't enjoy the evening, and gave his reasons why, in a perfectly acceptable manner. There's nothing wrong with that. Or should we only be posting up the lovey things??

Means that for people for whom a dance evening IS only about the dancing can make an informed opinion on whether or not to go next year. For the people who like the other stuff as well, they can read your post and decide to go. Or whatever.....

Anyhow, maybe we can get some other people's view too now :flower:

Damn. I can't believe that I'm defending Stewart :what:

stewart38
30th-December-2005, 04:46 PM
I went to the bar 4 times in the evening, only once after midnight, and never waited more than 5 mins, I guess my timing was just right.

arrived about 9.15pm two people on at the bar waited 20mins ?

next time 15 mins

Im getting drinks so didnt really 'wait' for a 5 min slot

why 'allow' 100 people to queue for coffee then serve them individually

why not have the cake on one table and let people poor their own coffee

Amersham and others which have more people and more choice then one cake cope . This 'rush didnt die down for 90 mins. so i waited 25mins to join the queue which didnt drop and then say 30 mins in it ?

How can you defend that ?

anyway as Tramps says we need other peoples views

TiggsTours
30th-December-2005, 04:52 PM
Oh. Come on Amanda....

People are entitled to their views, and expressing them. Stewart didn't enjoy the evening, and gave his reasons why, in a perfectly acceptable manner. There's nothing wrong with that. Or should we only be posting up the lovey things??

Means that for people for whom a dance evening IS only about the dancing can make an informed opinion on whether or not to go next year. For the people who like the other stuff as well, they can read your post and decide to go. Or whatever.....

Anyhow, maybe we can get some other people's view too now :flower:

There's nothing wrong with constructive critcism, I just didn't find Stewart's comments that constructive. If I'd never been to a Glitter Ball myself, I would have read Stewart's comments and never gone in future, and I'd have missed out on what I think is the best dance night of the year.

To put it constructively, Stewart could have mentioned the fantastic band, the fabulous room, the uncrowded floor, the way everyone looked so good, the brilliant music (which Stewart himself commented to me he was enjoying when we danced), and also mentioned the high prices at the bar (which I didn't experience) the queue at the bar (again), the long queue for tea & coffee, the length of time the piano player was on for, and how that all took away from the evening, and that, weighing it all up, he won't go back. That is constructive, and allows others to make an informed decision.

Personally the Black & White Ball I thought the canapes & champagne was a lovely touch, the pole dancing was great, it was lovely to see everyone dressed up, the ticket price was just right, but I also felt it was way too overcrowded, there was an imbalance in the sexes, the food should have been spread out during the evening, and not just all at the beginning, putting the champagne by the door was a big mistake which led to huge bottlenecks at the entrance, the champagne was disorganised, with them running out of glasses, and so many people not getting any while others helped themselves to 6 glasses, the pole was in the wrong place as it was in the way of the upstairs bar, which was the main one in use in the evening, the upstairs should have been no smoking, as people were being directed up there, and that's where the food was, there was no space on the dance floor, and the extra they put down was pathetic, they should have gone for it and put floor down the whole of the back area and shut the downstairs bar, and the music was just awful, unless you're into line dancing, with the odd spattering of (bad) salsa! If they do 450 tickets for a room that is usually considered busy with 250 on a standard night, I won't be going back! However, I understand alot of people would enjoy that night, and alot did.

bigdjiver
30th-December-2005, 04:54 PM
Which is exactly why I love the Glitter Ball! So many dances, even good ones, are just same old, same old, this is the one dance a year, at the right time of year, that is just that little bit special. To me, opening up the supplemental dance upstairs would mean that guys would stop wearing tuxes, girls would stop wearing ballgowns, everybody would go the same old (albeit nicer version) dancewear they wear day in day out, and it would kill off that exclusivity, and I'd stop going!John has his vision of what a special event should be, and there is a demand for that, as you testify. Last time I thought that queuing dented that "special" atmosphere. Is it not possible to "blues" in a tux or ballgown?

TiggsTours
30th-December-2005, 04:59 PM
John has his vision of what a special event should be, and there is a demand for that, as you testify. Last time I thought that queuing dented that "special" atmosphere. Is it not possible to "blues" in a tux or ballgown?
Yes, and as I mentioned, plenty of people were bluesing to the piano player, and thoroughly enjoying it.

stewart38
30th-December-2005, 05:06 PM
John has his vision of what a special event should be, and there is a demand for that, as you testify. Last time I thought that queuing dented that "special" atmosphere. Is it not possible to "blues" in a tux or ballgown?

If queuing has happened before why allow it to happen again

The band was great and well turned out , people looked lovely especially the women pity a for few male plonkers who didnt.

There was a fantasic variation of dances to watch and some great mini solo sets

Its a very different atmosphere

stewart38
30th-December-2005, 05:10 PM
Yes, and as I mentioned, plenty of people were bluesing to the piano player, and thoroughly enjoying it.

I was one , being very bluesy but waiting for the coffee queue to go down :wink:

he wasnt playing bluesy music lol

stewart38
30th-December-2005, 05:13 PM
, the uncrowded floor,

Hows the dress this morning :sad:

TiggsTours
30th-December-2005, 05:15 PM
Hows the dress this morning :sad:
Still gogeous!:D

clevedonboy
30th-December-2005, 05:15 PM
We.ve just arrived home

Spoke to Lynda saw TT across the room (nice dress!) but selfishly only danced with Julia - too little time to practice Lindy so Leroc was off the menu I'm afraid but that's another story.

Bar prices were fair & i only queued for 5 mins in total all night

Knackered before Piano man so had beaten a hasty retreat before coffee etc (not for me anyhow, can't drink hot drinks after dark)

Wonderful venue, quite beautifully done. Nice staff (including complimentary cloakroom - nice touch)

Gary's music was excellent (including comedy stuck record moment)

As for the main reason we drove 350 miles round trip - the full Blue Harlem. WOW they were absolutely knockout, definitely the musical highlight of the year for me. Classy arrangements, playing and singing and they seemed like really friendly people afterwards - 11 out of 10.

Some good looking dancers as well - plenty of swing styles in evidence, which was great to see, some were a bit intimidating for a mere beginner but were fantastic to watch.

We had a great time, well done JB - oh and having met him for the first time, I have to say that he's a very nice man too!

stewart38
30th-December-2005, 05:20 PM
Still gogeous!:D

I stood on it and someone else did when we danced :sad:

you did look lovely maybe your new Taxi dress ?

My dress is still holding up well

I was concentrating on just -ve aspects

The loos were great ,welcome guy good.

Its a treat to see such a large well turned out band

I want to learn Lindy Hopping Now :nice:

So people own up who was pushing in at the bar :mad:

Minnie M
30th-December-2005, 05:39 PM
.....Bar prices were fair & i only queued for 5 mins in total all night..........

I didn't have a 'bar' problem, and my drink was soda water which was FREE !

.........Wonderful venue, quite beautifully done. Nice staff (including complimentary cloakroom - nice touch)

:yeah:and such a great atmophere - the hall looked fab - JB did us pround

and did we all look great !

.....Gary's music was excellent (including comedy stuck record moment)

:cheers: :worthy: :yeah: Gary Boone rocks !! one of the best swing DJs on the scene - just lurv his music - and such a nice guy and a great dancer/teacher too

We just missed out him dancing with Sarah in the Jam :(

………..the hour & a half of piano music started at 12:30, so after most dance events have finished anyway, and gave a nice civilised way to unwind, chat to friends, enjoy the coissants and tea & coffee, instead of the music coming to an abrupt halt at midnight and then being ushered out the door within the next 10 mins

absolutely........ I am always the last to leave so it was really nice not to be shoved out - and there were so many friends there I haven't seen for months and some for years !!

.........the Glitter Ball isn't just about the dancing
:yeah::clap: :yeah: :clap: :yeah:

TheTramp
30th-December-2005, 05:56 PM
There's nothing wrong with constructive critcism, I just didn't find Stewart's comments that constructive. If I'd never been to a Glitter Ball myself, I would have read Stewart's comments and never gone in future, and I'd have missed out on what I think is the best dance night of the year.
No. This person would have read his comments. Then read yours. And made an informed decision based on both.

Stewart obviously didn't feel that it was the best dance night of the year. And said what he thought was appropriate to say. You can't give him hassle for that. He is entitled to his own opinion, and the right to express it. In the same way that you are entitled to yours.

Anyhow. Moving on. I've enjoyed the Glitter Balls that I've been to. Was bummed that I couldn't come along this year. Never find enough time to stop dancing to actually go to the bar, so that wouldn't have bothered me, and I would have danced blues to the piano man too :whistle:

Hopefully see you for a dance when we're down next weekend. It's been far too long :flower:

tiger
30th-December-2005, 07:04 PM
I agree with Trampy on this one.

Just because one event is one persons cup of tea(or coffee,no pun intended) it doesnt mean that everyone else will feel the same way. S38 may not have known the glitter ball would be much more 'swingy and social' and less 'cerocy-dancey+bit of social'.
I think if someone pays £28 for a do,then they are definatley entitled to their opinion on it,good or bad as dancers from the mod jive scene are used to paying a lot less for the majority of the events that they attend.

and as for people continuously going on about the overcrowding..yes it is frustrating but how do you fairly go about stopping this. Restrict tickets,gender balance,etc im not sure these measures will keep everyone happy.

David Bailey
30th-December-2005, 07:47 PM
Oh. Come on Amanda....

:yeah: - OK, fair enough, Stewart's making a heroic effort to wrest the Mr Grumpy crown from me, but he says what he feels, what's wrong with that? If you don't like some parts of an event, then it's good practice to give feedback, which hopefully the organisers can see.

And most of it was fact-based feedback, none of this "Oh, everyone was nasty and clicky" stuff.

I think the Glitter Ball was lovely when I went to it, and I was seriously tempted to go again - but I also think that there's a lot of "ball" competition out there in this week, with later openings, 2 rooms, etc. Which is a good thing, of course, because it means that the quality of events can only improve.

And I thought Ashtons was lovely too - yes, it was a bit crowded, but I've seen worse.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with you and defending Stewart... :devil:

Ballroom queen
30th-December-2005, 07:58 PM
well, here's my view:
The glitter ball was THE BEST dance I have been to in a long time.

everyone had made an effort in their oufits, and I mean everyone, som even bringing a second posh frock to change into in case they got too hot (+sweaty) in the first one.

The numbers were pretty even - I enjoyed the B&W ball but got pretty pissed off with the ridiculous number of "spare" ladies, there should be some way of avoiding this.

Lots of "old" faces, people enjoyed chatting rather than this obsession of dance dance dance.

There was space on the dance floor - there wasn't at Ashtons

It wasn't smoky - Yes Tigg, upstairs at Ashtons was unpleasent.

I didn't Q at the bar or for coffee - timing is everything, and it was no more expensive than Ashtons.

The piano music was lovely, I only wish I could have had a quickstep / foxtrot.

The band were awesome - the best big band I have danced to in a long while - and not fast.

So, well done Jon, and I agree with all that Tigg said.

I went to 3 "balls" this xmas - Oxford - nice, but hard to get a dance, Ashtons - too many bloody women, and the Glitter ball.
The glitter ball was by far and away the best evening and best value for money, and even having left at gone 1.30 and getting to bed at 3.45, with work this morning, I'd do it again everytime.

So pleased its back, long live the glitter ball

clevedonboy
30th-December-2005, 08:02 PM
and not fast.

Sing sing sing ?????????????????????????

:flower:

Ballroom queen
30th-December-2005, 08:13 PM
Sing sing sing ?????????????????????????

one track!!!

stewart38
31st-December-2005, 01:39 AM
everyone had made an effort in their oufits, and I mean everyone, som even bringing a second posh frock to change into in case they got too hot (+sweaty) in the first one.

The numbers were pretty even - I enjoyed the B&W ball but got pretty pissed off with the ridiculous number of "spare" ladies, there should be some way of avoiding this.

There was space on the dance floor - there wasn't at Ashtons

I didn't Q at the bar or for coffee - timing is everything, and it was no more expensive than Ashtons.

Facts

Some people didnt make an effort with a outfit ie some men

There were more women

It was fairly crowded

Timing for coffee ,what wait to about 1.20am thats when it thinned out(opened 12.00pm)

I dont mind bias but im not excepting nonence :mad:

If you didnt Q for coffee or a drink you would have gone to the bar 12.55 as no queue then or 1.20 for coffee

If your saying there wasnt over 100 people queue for coffee then you went to a different event :mad:

I know most people who went are best mates with the owner but sometimes comments get silly

Jon Brett
31st-December-2005, 05:48 AM
Facts
There were more women
It was fairly crowded
Timing for coffee ,what wait to about 1.20am thats when it thinned out(opened 12.00pm)
If you didnt Q for coffee or a drink you would have gone to the bar 12.55 as no queue then or 1.20 for coffee
If your saying there wasnt over 100 people queue for coffee then you went to a different event :mad:
I know most people who went are best mates with the owner but sometimes comments get silly

I'd like to thank everyone for coming to the Glitter Ball this year. It was a grand occasion and one of the things that made it special for me was the effort that everyone made to look good and stay looking good until the end.

Facts. Actually, 12:30 was coffee & croissants time not 12, and the ball started at 8pm, not 9pm (like you stated in the original post). The coffee & croissants took 35 minutes for everyone to get served (I timed it). 250 people were at the event, so this is not terrible, but I will look into ways of speeding things up in the future and maybe I'll be able to increase the dancing time as a result.

Ten years ago I held the first Glitter Ball. In those days no-one else was holding an event between Christmas & New year (everyone said I was mad to even attempt it). Since then, the competition has become a lot fiercer, but the Glitter Balls have always sold out. If people keep enjoying it, I'll keep doing it.

You mentioned that the price is slightly higher than other events, but I don't think that's a bad thing considering what's on offer. I assure you it is totally non-profit. The cost of the event is divided by 250 and that's it.

It wasn't overcrowded - some said I should have had more people there. Ceroc let in up to 400 people to their freestyles at the same venue, but I like the smaller numbers - it's much easier to meet everyone that way. Even though it puts the price up slightly, I think people appreciate it.

I tried to speak to everyone at the Ball on Thursday night, I certainly got to speak to most of them (I didn't get many dances because of this) so I know you were in a minority, Stuart, when you say that a proper ball wasn't your thing. Personally I was very happy with it and I shall be running another one next year. Thursday 28th December is the date the Bedford Corn Exchange have given me, and I am looking forward to it already!

Ballroom queen
31st-December-2005, 09:50 AM
Facts

There were more women

It was fairly crowded

I'm pretty angry about parts of the above.
Ok, so I didn't notice the odd bloke who didn't make an effort. Sorry (but its always the blokes)

I didn't count the men and women, but I spent a lot of time at ashtons not dancing, looking around the hall loads of others not dancing were women, few were men. At the Glitter ball when I wasn't dancing I looked around and saw a similar number of men out to women. I inferred from that that the ratios were better.

It was fairly crowded, but nothing like the ceroc events. We'ed moan if it was empty.

I still maintain I didn't q for the bar or coffee (no more than other events). I wasn't desparate for coffee.

Yes, I do know Jon, but he's not a "best mate" - I am NOT biased - I also consider myself friends with Mike and Linda having supported their events for about 10 years and taxied for them.

If you don't like it, don't go, but I'm with Tigg, it was FAB, so stop moaning. Like Tigg I didn't spend ages moaning about the other 2 events why can't people be a bit more positive????

If I go to one ball it will be this one - in fact i'll put the date in my diary now, thanks Jon

clevedonboy
31st-December-2005, 10:12 AM
I shall be running another one next year. Thursday 28th December is the date the Bedford Corn Exchange have given me, and I am looking forward to it already!

It'll be tough to top this one Jon so good luck!

If you can find a band to come close to Blue Harlem (or maybe just Blue Harlem again), we'll be there like a shot :cheers:

Cruella
31st-December-2005, 10:20 AM
250 people were at the event, so this is not terrible

It wasn't overcrowded - some said I should have had more people there. Ceroc let in up to 400 people to their freestyles at the same venue,

Personally I was very happy with it and I shall be running another one next year. Thursday 28th December is the date the Bedford Corn Exchange have given me, and I am looking forward to it already!

I'm glad you're running it again next year:clap: I've never been to the Glitter Ball but since moving to the Midlands have heard lots of people talk favourably about it. If it hadn't of clashed with Greenwich i would of tried it out this year:tears:
I know the venue fairly well and i would imagine that with 250 people you would have lots of dancing space, in my opinion a big + when considering a venue. The sole reason for my not doing Ashtons was the fact it would IMO be too crowded.
You know you'll never please all of the people all of the time, but as long as the majority are happy, it's good. Everyone is entitled to give their perspective on the evening, good or bad, feedback can be noted and used by the organisers to make their events as perfect as possible. Next year i hope the organisers manage to put on events that don't clash!! So now that Jons given out the date for the Glitter Ball 2006 there should be no excuse for another event being put on at the same time.:wink:

Russell Saxby
31st-December-2005, 10:40 AM
Next year i hope the organisers manage to put on events that don't clash!! So now that Jons given out the date for the Glitter Ball 2006 there should be no excuse for another event being put on at the same time.:wink:

With both the Greenwich and Glitter Balls sold out, I don't see this as a problem.

And with the feedback on this forum and word of mouth dancers can make an informed decision on where to go. Sounds to me as if the Glitter Ball was a fab night, just not in everyones (or at least one persons) taste

Minnie M
31st-December-2005, 10:43 AM
.../all good stuff/...... I shall be running another one next year. Thursday 28th December is the date the Bedford Corn Exchange have given me, and I am looking forward to it already!
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: reserve me a ticket pleae - wonder if we can get the same deal from Travelodge too :D

Shame I didn't get to meet you Ballroom queen - or maybe we know each other already :rolleyes: :rolleyes: (have to ask TT)

Didn't get to dance with clevedonboy or Stewart - but had lots and lots of really great dances - even got to dance with the wonderful Gary Boone :worthy:

I had been looking forward to this event as soon as I knew it was back on - the only thing I would like changed (if possible) is for the dancing/coffee & pianist could start at 1am - thus giving that extra half hour dancing :clap: - but the format was good is good and I hope will stay good :clap: :clap:

The Blue Harlem big band with Imelda are fantastic, I have heard them many many times on the swing circuit and their performance is always tops :worthy: :worthy:

Must admit I was a little disappointed that not everyone made the effort to really dress up - but most did and it was lovely to see :yeah: and most of us stayed in our outfits ALL evening

PS: Lady in Red (TiggsTours) looked stunning - and so did LuLu (Louise) in her sexy black number

WOOPS.... forgot .....
Thank you Jon :hug: :kiss: :hug: :kiss:

Cruella
31st-December-2005, 10:46 AM
With both the Greenwich and Glitter Balls sold out, I don't see this as a problem.

And with the feedback on this forum and word of mouth dancers can make an informed decision on where to go. Sounds to me as if the Glitter Ball was a fab night, just not in everyones (or at least one persons) taste
But it is a problem for those of us that want to do both.:tears: although i must hijack this thread and say that the Greenwich Ball was probably my best night this year.:clap:

Minnie M
31st-December-2005, 10:51 AM
But it is a problem for those of us that want to do both.:tears: although i must hijack this thread and say that the Greenwich Ball was probably my best night this year.:clap:
:tears::yeah: :tears:
I would have liked to have done both - I know I would have enjoyed Greenwich - different - but just as good :clap:

stewart38
31st-December-2005, 11:19 AM
If you don't like it, don't go, but I'm with Tigg, it was FAB, so stop moaning. Like Tigg I didn't spend ages moaning about the other 2 events why can't people be a bit more positive????

Ive mention good things about and bad things about it (mainly around the queueing and hoping there would be more free style, like many did who are not on this forum)

I dont see any point in debating wether it was timed that it took 35 mins or 50 mins to get coffee, lets hope things like that are address for people that go next year thats all. It would be VERY easy to change that

Minnie suggested an extra half hour dancing and if she ever stood still for more then 5 mins Id have grab her for a dance. These are just suggestions

Ive said I loved the band and the dancing the majority of people who dressed up. The loos the venue all of that

I hope the event gets better each year :flower:

Minnie M
31st-December-2005, 11:29 AM
.......Minnie suggested an extra half hour dancing and if she ever stood still for more then 5 mins Id have grab her for a dance. These are just suggestions......
:blush: sorry .... will just have to grab you instead :whistle:

BTW nice meeting Jan (Jackson... watsist) and her friend Linda (great dancer)

Saxylady
31st-December-2005, 01:49 PM
It'll be tough to top this one Jon so good luck!

If you can find a band to come close to Blue Harlem (or maybe just Blue Harlem again), we'll be there like a shot :cheers:

That would be a real birthday treat for me to look forward to, and I can put a posh frock on my Christmas list.

Plus points for me were:- great band; smoke free; civilised atmosphere; good floor; good music; space; friendly welcome; excellent venue. I think it was value for money.

I hope, if we do come next year, I'll feel braver about asking other people to dance. Our Lindy should be better by then, too, with any luck (I wouldn't inflict my efforts on anyone but Clevedonboy at the moment :rofl: )

bigdjiver
31st-December-2005, 01:57 PM
... Ten years ago I held the first Glitter Ball. In those days no-one else was holding an event between Christmas & New year (everyone said I was mad to even attempt it). Since then, the competition has become a lot fiercer, but the Glitter Balls have always sold out. If people keep enjoying it, I'll keep doing it.

You mentioned that the price is slightly higher than other events, but I don't think that's a bad thing considering what's on offer. I assure you it is totally non-profit. The cost of the event is divided by 250 and that's it...The Glitter Balls I have attended left me with memories that I will always treasure. I thank you once again.

Jive Brummie
31st-December-2005, 02:10 PM
Is it just me or would everyone do a bit of homework on an event if it was going to cost them £28 per head?

For example....what the usual format for the night is, are there refreshments and what are they, how many people turn up etc. Then an informed decision can be made. I totally agree that S38's comments are valid and are as welcome here as eveyone elses, but wouldn't it be nice if eveyone just put down the good stuff...s'pecially at this time of year an'all.

It just tends to smack of "Bah Humbug".........doesn't it?

From what I've read so far, Stewarts comments certainly wouldn't have put Melanie or I off coming along to the do' as it sounds like it was a great night. As daft as this may sound, I personally don't think dance events have to be all about dancing. It's a good time to catch up with pals, meet new ones and dare I say...have a drink! Piano man would have been an excellent time for this.

To the team that puts on the Glitter Ball...well done. Sounded fab, FC and I will endeavour to come down for it next year. Oh yeah, and stand proud to be the shepherd and not the sheep!

j.

Minnie M
31st-December-2005, 02:27 PM
I hope, if we do come next year, I'll feel braver about asking other people to dance. Our Lindy should be better by then, too, with any luck (I wouldn't inflict my efforts on anyone but Clevedonboy at the moment :rofl: )
I was dancing MJ as much as my (quite poor) Lindy :innocent: the Lindy dancers were very good and very patient :really: with me and it didn't seem to bother them that I wasn't very good :clap:

There were lots of MJ dancers and most of the Lindy dancers were MJ converts so they could change their style if necessary

BTW JB looked very dapper :drool:

Saxylady
31st-December-2005, 04:10 PM
They all seemed very nice - I just get rather overawed at these things. Braver next year.

jacksondonut
31st-December-2005, 07:03 PM
Hi Everyone..

My first Glitter Ball was a lovely experience, got to meet Minnie, Stewart and Tiggs Tours for the first time and was brave enough to venture out onto the dancefloor and try my luck with some lindy; (im just a beginner and more used to MJ scene).. band was lovely, having space was lovely, meeting new folks lovely too... :flower: :flower:

Coffee/tea queue.. well i was dead lucky to be in the right place at the right time and got served in seconds... (just a knack i have, lol)... We arrived early so i just got one drink at the beginning and it lasted me till the tea break.. I do know that it isnt very sensible.. but i dont drink a lot..:innocent:

The guys looked great and the ladies beautiful, i just loved the atmosphere. The ability to dance will come in time!! but i will go back.:clap: :clap:

We didnt stay till the end, but had a great time anyway, thank you JB (who came to say hello, light our candle and ask if we were having a nice time, much appreciated.):flower:

senorita
3rd-January-2006, 10:04 AM

Hey!! I made that nikname up for you....I should get some credit :nice: :wink:

TiggsTours
3rd-January-2006, 10:23 AM
No. This person would have read his comments. Then read yours. And made an informed decision based on both.

Stewart obviously didn't feel that it was the best dance night of the year. And said what he thought was appropriate to say. You can't give him hassle for that. He is entitled to his own opinion, and the right to express it. In the same way that you are entitled to yours.

Anyhow. Moving on. I've enjoyed the Glitter Balls that I've been to. Was bummed that I couldn't come along this year. Never find enough time to stop dancing to actually go to the bar, so that wouldn't have bothered me, and I would have danced blues to the piano man too :whistle:

Hopefully see you for a dance when we're down next weekend. It's been far too long :flower:
So, one person states their opinion, all negative (positive comments only came after I'd pointed that one out), the next person states their opinion, agreeing that some of the negative comments had some good grounding, but that the overall attack was uncalled for, and that they believed the good points far outweighed the bad points, and that some of the bad points mentioned they did not find at all (I too felt it was VERY even numbers) and yet they are hassling the first person? Surely if one person is entitled to state their opinion, so is everybody else?

stewart38
3rd-January-2006, 10:31 AM
So, one person states their opinion, all negative (positive comments only came after I'd pointed that one out), the next person states their opinion, agreeing that some of the negative comments had some good grounding, but that the overall attack was uncalled for, and that they believed the good points far outweighed the bad points, and that some of the bad points mentioned they did not find at all (I too felt it was VERY even numbers) and yet they are hassling the first person? Surely if one person is entitled to state their opinion, so is everybody else?

What i find 'funny' is people debate wether you queued 35 mins or 50 mins for a coffee. Apparently this has happened before

What you should get (like Franco public apology re the 90mins of queueing at Camber) is yes we will address this issue

It wasnt an 'attack' nor was paying £5.20 for a glass of red wine and a pint of lemonade and lime just facts :sad:

I also think it should be clear in the ticket or literature that there would be no dancing after mid night

An 'attack' would be about the band venue etc which would be purile. All was fab

TiggsTours
3rd-January-2006, 11:31 AM
What i find 'funny' is people debate wether you queued 35 mins or 50 mins for a coffee. Apparently this has happened before

What you should get (like Franco public apology re the 90mins of queueing at Camber) is yes we will address this issue

It wasnt an 'attack' nor was paying £5.20 for a glass of red wine and a pint of lemonade and lime just facts :sad:

I also think it should be clear in the ticket or literature that there would be no dancing after mid night

An 'attack' would be about the band venue etc which would be purile. All was fab
Sorry Stewart, I was actually commenting on Trampy's comment that I was hassling you, when I was just stating my opinion.

I agree that the queue for tea & coffee was too long, and have said so already, that is the only negative point that you raised that I agree with. I also think though that this can be avoided by a little bit of common sense! (not necessarily you). Whenever there is food or tea/coffee served towards the end of a night at any venue, everybody automatically seems to stop dancing, and start queuing! Then they spend ages complaining about the length of the queue! I, on the other hand, tend to keep dancing until the queue dies down a bit, then join the end of the queue, and there is generally always plenty left, unless you have a room full of greedy selfish people who each help themselves to 3 cakes, then leave 1 and a half on a plate only to be chucked in the bin at the end of the night! If everybody in the queue just took one, there'd be plenty for all, and probably seconds, after they've finished the first, and the queue should be very controllable.

I do agree though that this has been an issue in previous years, and that maybe it should be addressed, perhaps if the tea & coffee was served in a different room, people would stay and dance for a bit longer, then go out in a more organised fashion. Having it right by the floor does tend to put everyone into Homer mode! (Mmmmm, doughnuts! :drool: :drool: ).

TheTramp
3rd-January-2006, 02:15 PM
Of course you are. Everyone is entitled to state an opinion.

The difference being that, I didn't go into the forum on Wednesday, go into the thread about it, and immediately start telling everyone what an awful night I had, and why I felt it necessary to leave before midnight, putting a dampner on the whole thing for those who did enjoy it, and putting other people off the idea of trying it in future.
That was the hassling bit I was talking about....

TiggsTours
3rd-January-2006, 03:58 PM
That was the hassling bit I was talking about....
Sent in response to being hassled.

Asif
3rd-January-2006, 06:02 PM
Ladies....please.....can you just agree to disagree and put down your handbags now!!!

I thought it was an evening where virtually everyone made a REAL effort to dress up (and stay that way for pretty much the whole evening - even JB!!) and spend the night dancing and socialising in a very "comfortable" environment. The ladies were stunning :drool: and the gents were dapper! The biggest thing i like about the GB is the sense of occassion it gives - not the same as just dressing up and going out to a dance where its crowded and hot and you end up changing your clothes half way into the evening, etc...

The only thing negative i would take away from the evening was that the piano man could have started a bit later (but that's only because i hadn't managed to dance with all the lovely ladies that i wanted to - sorry!) and maybe the tea/coffee queue could have been better organised. Didn't bother me that much anyway 'cos i still danced with my partner while we queued!

[snip]...... you have a room full of greedy selfish people who each help themselves to 3 cakes, then leave 1 and a half on a plate only to be chucked in the bin at the end of the night! If everybody in the queue just took one, there'd be plenty for all, and probably seconds, after they've finished the first, and the queue should be very controllable.
Me and Andy Fleming sorted out that problem - we found a woman who had taken two croissants, so we went along and helped ourself to the second one!! :whistle:

Got the date in my diary for the next one! :grin:

Jon Brett
4th-January-2006, 12:49 PM
I don't see any point in debating whether it took 35 mins or 50 mins to get coffee & croissants. Let's hope things like that are addressed for people that go next year, that's all. It would be VERY easy to change that. Minnie suggested an extra half hour dancing.

I will have a meeting with the catering manager and see what can be done next time.

You mentioned it wasn't advertised, well actually it was, but originally it was midnight for coffee. The Corn Exchange kindly allowed the pianist to stop later because it wasn't a loud disco, so I managed to fit in an extra 30 mins freestyle.

I think it's a very civilised way of ending an evening. In fact, the whole evening is intended to be that way. It wouldn't be so civilised if everyone had to rush 'cos there wasn't much time at the end.

The question is, How long do people need to stop dancing, get their coffee, find their seat and their friends, finish their coffee and chat and leave the venue without feeling rushed or being kicked out? I'm thinking at least an hour.

under par
4th-January-2006, 02:50 PM
The question is, How long do people need to stop dancing, get their coffee, find their seat and their friends, finish their coffee and chat and leave the venue without feeling rushed or being kicked out? I'm thinking at least an hour.

It can take half an hour without the coffee on a normal night so an hour is probably about right:D

stewart38
4th-January-2006, 03:10 PM
Me and Andy Fleming sorted out that problem - we found a woman who had taken two croissants, so we went along and helped ourself to the second one!! :whistle:

Was it only one croissant each :whistle:

Asif
5th-January-2006, 02:38 AM
Was it only one croissant each :whistle:
You naughty boy! :eek:

I did notice that the main reason why some people took ages getting served was because they were getting more that one drink/croissant at a time and this was slowing up the queue!!

When i finished my coffee & croissant, i just went back for more - ended up having 3 in the end..... :whistle: