PDA

View Full Version : Ceroc could be bad for you?

Jayne
7th-February-2003, 12:34 PM
Hi Guys,

I know that we've touched on this before but...

...there's an article in this week's New Scientist about poor diet/fat and there's a wee checklist to see if you're addicted to fat. I'll copy it out below - read it with dancing in mind....

"Addictiveness has proved surprisingly hard to define and there are several different ways of judging whether a substance is addictive. One of the most widely used is known as the DSM-IV criteria, devised by the American Psychiatric Association. To be addictive, a substance has to meet at least three of the following criteria:

- Taken in larger amounts or over a longer period than intended

- Persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control use

- a great deal of time spent seeking the substance out, using it or recovering from its effects

- important social, occupational or recreational activities given up or reduced because of substance use

- continued use despite knowledge of harmful consequences

- increased tolerance with use

- withdrawal symptoms"

Should ceroc (modern jive) therefore come with a health warning?? :what:

J :nice:

PeterL
7th-February-2003, 12:52 PM
-Taken in larger amounts or over a longer period than intended

- a great deal of time spent seeking the substance out, using it or recovering from its effects

- important social, occupational or recreational activities given up or reduced because of substance use

- increased tolerance with use

- withdrawal symptoms"

well the 4 above are true so I guess ceroc is definitely addictive, though harmful to health is another matter.

Not all addictions are harmful to health take gambling as an example, it's only harmful to health when debt collectors break your legs.

Dreadful Scathe
7th-February-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by PeterL
well the 4 above are true so I guess ceroc is definitely addictive, though harmful to health is another matter.

Not all addictions are harmful to health take gambling as an example, it's only harmful to health when debt collectors break your legs.

you've just dismissed the genuine problems of Gambling Addicts with one swift sweep of your er..keyboard. Its VERY harmful to health - through stress for the individual and family members to the addict possibly commiting crimes for money to feed his habit. To trivilaise it in this calous way is frankly disgusting and Im ashamed to be associated with you.

:D Im joking - but you have occasionaly respond in such a negative fashion to other posts, that I just thought id get you back :)

Bill
7th-February-2003, 01:47 PM
well, isn't it called dance addiction ?

I was an addict:eek: ......but I am recovering and I even missed a class this week !:rolleyes: ........................ and I could give up any time I wanted to; just that I don't really want to....yet:wink:

But unlike some addciitons it is good for you - isn't it !? Healthy, relatively smoke free, sociable and of course ...fun. What more can you ask for ????

PeterL
7th-February-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
you've just dismissed the genuine problems of Gambling Addicts with one swift sweep of your er..keyboard. Its VERY harmful to health - through stress for the individual and family members to the addict possibly commiting crimes for money to feed his habit. To trivilaise it in this calous way is frankly disgusting and Im ashamed to be associated with you.

:D Im joking - but you have occasionaly respond in such a negative fashion to other posts, that I just thought id get you back :)

I am a licenced croupier/inspector, so I do know a little something about gambling and gambling addicts. 99% of people addicted to gambling manage it in a controlled manner, just because they control there addiction doesn't mean it is not an addiction.
I agree a minority go to far and as a licenced inspector I was trained to watch for this and it was policy to speak to the person and advice that they get some help.

I agree with what you had said but was trying to keep it lighthearted.

Jayne
7th-February-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Bill
But unlike some addciitons it is good for you - isn't it !? Healthy, relatively smoke free, sociable and of course ...fun. What more can you ask for ???? But what about the people who abandon their partners a couple of nights a week to go out dancing? What about the money we all spend on travelling the country to get our next "fix"? What about the alternative social events we've all turned down just so we can go to ceroc? Then there are the peripheral issues of the bags of chips at the kebab shop just down from Marco's....

:wink:

Jayne :nice:
(aka pseudo-devil's advocate)

Sal
7th-February-2003, 02:43 PM
And how about the injuries we have all sustained, or the strained muscles after hours dancing. My legs are killing me this morning, but that may have more to do with the fact I fell down the stairs on the way to ceroc last night! One could argue if I was not addicted, I would not have been in such a haste to get there!

Bill
9th-February-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Jayne
Then there are the peripheral issues of the bags of chips at the kebab shop just down from Marco's....People eat chpis after dancing ? :drool: :sick:

So not such a healthy pursuit?????? :rolleyes: A glass or two of wine does me ! But the pount of turning down other invitations is actually a serious point ! I know a few folk who almost gave up on me becaus eevery weekend was already booked daning here or Edinburgh or somewhere ! A 'window' was rare and just as happens after a separation or divorce friends can seems to drift away so perhaps a balance is required.

But if you didn't travel to Ceroc dances wouldn't you spend the money on other less meaningful items :D :na: and you do keep fit so not a bad addiction I'd suggest.

Just not enough time ! I was amazesd at how many women I didn't manage to dance with last night at the Beach Ballroom. Didn't even know some folk were there till the lights went up at the end ....and I did keep wondering round the tables..... honets !

But a good night and explains why we are addicted :cheers:

Lindsay
10th-February-2003, 03:17 PM
I am a licenced croupier/inspector, so I do know a little something about gambling and gambling addicts.

You're a croupier? I can definitely see you doing that!

Nice Latin btw....

PeterL
10th-February-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Lindsay
You're a croupier? I can definitely see you doing that!

Nice Latin btw....

In a past life but still licenced.

Ronde!
10th-February-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Jayne

I'll vouch for the "recovering from its effects" bit. Danced 13 hours between Friday night and Sunday afternoon, including an Advanced Routine workshop with the lovely & talented pioneer of Ceroc in Australia, Nicky ("Ruthless") Haslem :wink:.

It's now Tuesday morning, and my body is still wracked by quite considerable pain. Got teased at work yesterday 'cos I walked in like I spent time in a jail cell with a big hairy tattooed bloke over the weekend.

And yet, I can't wait to try out our new Ceroc venue tomorrow... and have signed up for extra practice on Friday and Saturday. Why?! Why?! Am I stoopid or somethin'? Why?!

Tiggerbabe
10th-February-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Ronde!

And yet, I can't wait to try out our new Ceroc venue tomorrow... and have signed up for extra practice on Friday and Saturday. Why?! Why?! Am I stoopid or somethin'? Why?!

No - you sound absolutely perfect to me!:yum: :yum:

Any chance of you coming over for the next Beach Ballroom party?

DavidB
11th-February-2003, 11:10 AM
Got teased at work yesterday 'cos I walked in like I spent time in a jail cell with a big hairy tattooed bloke over the weekend. So you have met Gus then...

Gus
11th-February-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
So you have met Gus then...

And you prmosed you wouldn't tell...:sad:

Well ... joking aside, I remember knocking around with a grooup of dancers in the East Muds ... but the ONLY coversation was about Ceroc ...gets a bit tedious after a while.. .

Funny really .. cause a few threads on this forum have proven what an amazing life people have led outside Ceroc ... so why does Ceroc tend to dominate coversations??

PeterL
11th-February-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Gus

Funny really .. cause a few threads on this forum have proven what an amazing life people have led outside Ceroc ... so why does Ceroc tend to dominate coversations??

It is always easier to talk about a subject you have in common.

Dreadful Scathe
11th-February-2003, 01:08 PM
It is always easier to talk about a subject you have in common.

Illiud Latine dici non potest

Dreadful Scathe
11th-February-2003, 01:11 PM
I think Forum addiction i more worrying - I made the mistake of comparing myself to TheTramp and thinking I wasnt that bad :).

PeterL
11th-February-2003, 01:36 PM
Illiud Latine dici non potest
very profound but
why would I want to say that in Latin??:devil:

TheTramp
11th-February-2003, 01:37 PM
I made the mistake of comparing myself to TheTramp Hmmmm.....?? :waycool:

Steve

Bill
11th-February-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Funny really .. cause a few threads on this forum have proven what an amazing life people have led outside Ceroc ... so why does Ceroc tend to dominate coversations?? Not talking about me then :rolleyes: :eek: ............. it could be amazing but I'd have to make it all up :(

Ah well........... at least I found dancing. What were we saying about dancing !!!! I suppose it is the thing that draws us together and methinks Mr Gus here can hardly complain of others talking about dancing. Last time were together I couldn't get a word in cus you were talking about dance all night :D :wink:

See you in 2 weeks............ which given the absence of practice is when I'm likely to see both my double trouble partners again ! :tears:

Gus
11th-February-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Bill
Mr Gus here can hardly complain of others talking about dancing. Last time were together I couldn't get a word in cus you were talking about dance all night :D :wink: Sadly true .... why do you think I want to give this dance lark a break (well ... at least cut back drasticaly) and get back to my old life of volleyball, martial arts, clubbing and lads nights out ... oh those happy halcyon days ...... just need to get past the bl**dy Champs .... roll on 7pm on Sat 1st March when we can start enjoying ourselves again :waycool:

TheTramp
11th-February-2003, 04:07 PM
just need to get past the bl**dy Champs .... roll on 7pm on Sat 1st March when we can start enjoying ourselves again Are you taking this seriously then Gus?? We're going to have our 3rd practise tonight after I've finished teaching. Hopefully going to get a few more in before Blackpool.

Of course, we're not expecting to get anywhere this year!! :D

Steve

Bill
11th-February-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Are you taking this seriously then Gus?? We're going to have our 3rd practise tonight after I've finished teaching. Hopefully going to get a few more in before Blackpool.

Steve Looks like it's going to be a competition to see who can have least practice before the comp :D :tears:

Fran and I have our second practice booked for this Thursday and our third and final session the Saturday afternoon before we go down ! Same goes for the double trouble !!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :sick:

Ah well ....... it'll give us all the more time to sit and admire the rest of the dancers. And cheer on all those folk we know. Going to be just as difficult as it was at Mussleburgh trying to know who to cheer on. With so many real and 'adopted' Scots down there we'll all be hoarse !!!!!!!!

Better go and check the wardrobe I suppose :na: :yum:

TheTramp
11th-February-2003, 04:49 PM
Looks like it's going to be a competition to see who can have least practice before the comp Heh :) Well, I only started dancing with Laili at the tail end of last year really. And it was pretty much on a whim that we ended up doing the competition. However, most people do say that we dance well together, so hopefully we won't be too bad.

Haven't started the double trouble practise yet at all. I really don't know why I'm doing that!!

Oh, and haven't really started the DWAS practise either :devil: :D

Steve

Dreadful Scathe
11th-February-2003, 05:10 PM
Oh, and haven't really started the DWAS practise either :devil: :D

Steve Shopping centres could be good. Grab somone and start dancing, say its all for the sake of research and that theres a camera hidden 'just over there in WH Smith'. People'll do anything to get on TV :)

TheTramp
11th-February-2003, 05:46 PM
I seem to recall doing something like this in Perth and ending up with a policewoman! :)

Very scary!

Steve

Gus
11th-February-2003, 06:06 PM
Are you taking this seriously then Gus??

Ish ... its a competition and I think the lads and lasses we teach would be a bit dismayed if we went out in the first round and danced like a couple of turnips :tears: Like it or not, there is a lot of pressure on teachers to perform well ...

As for the practice ... well I guess me and Helen have the same problem as Bill and Fran ... live too far away and got too many things doing on in the real world to get in much practice ....

At the end of the day I've learnt a lot over the last month or so and, when we get it right, we are dancing much better and enjpying our dancing more ... so regardless what happens on the 1st, at least we've got that out of it ... so maybe it will all be worth the hassle and self-doubt anyway :waycool:

We're going to have our 3rd practise tonight after I've finished teaching. Hopefully going to get a few more in before Blackpool.

Steve

Caan we fil the above comments along with the "I'm just a beginner" comments?:wink:

TheTramp
11th-February-2003, 06:49 PM
Nah. That was a serious one :) We haven't really had much time for practise yet - and probably won't have. We're entering the competition for the fun element, rather than the 'We want to win' thing. Laili is in Bristol, I'm in London - and like Bill & Fran and yourself & Helen, we don't have much time for practise. Probably because I've spent most of the weekends this year up in Scotland :D

Though, if we do well, I won't complain (probably because I'll have been knocked over with a feather at that point).

As long as I enjoy the day - which I'm sure I will - and feel that we've done as well as we could under the circumstances, then there won't be any complaints. If I dance as badly as I did in Bristol last year, then I'll be upset with myself.

Steve

Dance Demon
11th-February-2003, 06:50 PM
Seems like a lot of you guys are getting the "It would have been better if we'd had more time to practice "excuses in early, just in case......:wink: I wonder who will come up with the most imaginitive "no time to practice" excuse?.......could this be the cue for a wee competition? If the standard is anywhere as good as it was at Musselburgh, I'm sure we will all enjoy watching you guys perform.......wven beginners like you Steve!!!!:wink:

DD:devil:

Lou
11th-February-2003, 07:41 PM
However, most people do say that we dance well together, so hopefully we won't be too bad.
Oh you do! You do! :grin:

TheTramp
11th-February-2003, 07:52 PM
Thanks Lou :kiss: That night was only about the 3/4 time we'd ever really danced together. So hopefully we now look a little better than when you saw us.

DD. I don't think that anyone is getting in with excuses. If previous years are to go by, the standard will be very high, and no-one will need to feel any shame - even if they don't make it to the 2nd round. I know that we (Laili and I) are entering to have fun and maybe put on a bit of a show, rather than with any serious thoughts of winning, due to the very high standard I expect to see there.

I think that most of us are just commiserating about the lack of time that we've had to practise with our partners - and I know several other couples who have the same 'problems'. We'd all like to do the best that we can, unfortunately, not everyone has the lifestyle or opportunity to be able to do that. Those people who do have more opportunity to practise are lucky, and I certainly don't begrudge them that.

Steve

Dance Demon
11th-February-2003, 08:19 PM

DD. I don't think that anyone is getting in with excuses. If previous years are to go by, the standard will be very high, and no-one will need to feel any shame - even if they don't make it to the 2nd round. I know that we (Laili and I) are entering to have fun and maybe put on a bit of a show, rather than with any serious thoughts of winning, due to the very high standard I expect to see there.

I think that most of us are just commiserating about the lack of time that we've had to practise with our partners - and I know several other couples who have the same 'problems'. We'd all like to do the best that we can, unfortunately, not everyone has the lifestyle or opportunity to be able to do that. Those people who do have more opportunity to practise are lucky, and I certainly don't begrudge them that.

Steve

Easy Tiger!!!!
It was just meant to be a wee tongue in cheek throwaway line that you can throw away if you wish:)
I'm sure regardless of how much practice you all get in the standard will be very high, and I am personally looking forward to watch you all perform:cheers:

TheTramp
12th-February-2003, 01:20 AM
Sorry if I came across all heavy DD, it wasn't really meant to be. Apologies for that.

Steve

Dance Demon
12th-February-2003, 01:25 AM
Sorry if I came across all heavy DD, it wasn't really meant to be. Apologies for that.

Steve

No problems. It must be hard to get any practise in when you spend so much time in Scotland these days!!:grin:

TheTramp
12th-February-2003, 02:05 AM
Yeah. Maybe I should have entered with a Scottish lady!!

Steve

Bill
12th-February-2003, 12:28 PM
Yeah. Maybe I should have entered with a Scottish lady!!

Steve

well......plenty to choose from !!!!!!!!!!

and not surprising you haven't had much time to practice seeing as how you seem to be in Scotland more than down south recently

And although it could come across as everyone getting their excuses in early ( :rolleyes: :eek: ) I have to say that the one advantage of not getting any practice is that for the first time in 3 years of competing I feel very relaxed because I haven't put any pressure on myself and Fran feels the same.

even though I still want to dance as well as I can, each year I've been tense and keen to do well - which is why I don't smile that often in competitions - :sad: :sorry .......... so this year it really is all about fun - whcih is what it was meant to be about anyway ! Always takes me a while to catch on :D

With two Scottish teams in and goodness knows how many Scots in the other competitions there'll be plenty to cheer about.

And boys ( Steve and Gus) if we all get knocked out early we can have some dances together... and a doublr trouble or two
:D :na:

However much practice folk have had let's hope everyone has a great day. You never know, I might even go wild and have an alcoholic drink or two during the evening :cheers:

TheTramp
12th-February-2003, 12:44 PM
And boys ( Steve and Gus) if we all get knocked out early we can have some dances together... and a doublr trouble or two You forgot Brady Bill.....How could you :)

Isn't it nice though, entering a competition without the pressure of expecting to do well. I feel more relaxed about this competition, than I ever have before. Strange, since it's probably the biggest one of the year!

And yes, plenty of Scots involved in all the competitions. Will be cheering you all on. And all the other honourary Scots too :)

I might even join you in that alcoholic drink. Though, it's pretty unlikely :D

Steve

Brady
12th-February-2003, 01:59 PM
You forgot Brady Bill.....How could you :)

Bill didn't forget me; he just knows who the boys are and who the men are!!! Or perhaps I'll still be up on the floor competing and won't have time to dance with all you men (fat chance; count me in for a quadruple trouble!).

Brady

Sandy
12th-February-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
No problems. It must be hard to get any practise in when you spend so much time in Scotland these days!!:grin:

Ah, could it be the porridge or maybe the haggis or even the wonderful climate!??? or maybe the fantastic female talent? or maybe a desire to wear a kilt:D Steve, next time you are up here in bonny Scotland, will you be wearing your favourite tartan? You could borrow Francks to get a feel for it! might need a wee bit of adjustment here and there:devil: but unlike Franck, would you wear it in true Scottish style???

Till the next time!

Sandy:wink:

Bill
12th-February-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Brady
Bill didn't forget me; he just knows who the boys are and who the men are!!! Or perhaps I'll still be up on the floor competing and won't have time to dance with all you men (fat chance; count me in for a quadruple trouble!).

Brady

Of course I didn't forget you :D :na: ............Was just suggesting that with Gus & Steve also in the Advanced we might have more time than some of the others.

I'll catch you for a dance at some point Brady. And all the best on the day. Reckon you'll do very well. In fact you may well have to move up a category very soon :wink: :cheers:

TheTramp
12th-February-2003, 06:40 PM
but unlike Franck, would you wear it in true Scottish style???I don't think so. Wouldn't you get the wind in the willows??

Although, Dave Hancock does and did on Saturday. He spent all of our dance telling me not to spin or do a drop with him.

So, I spent all of the dance, doing spins and drops :devil:

Steve

Ronde!
13th-February-2003, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Sheena
No - you sound absolutely perfect to me!:yum: :yum:

Any chance of you coming over for the next Beach Ballroom party?

Alas, I habitate antipodean climes. Er... that is to say, I'm an Aussie... but it'd be great to pop over to the UK of a weekend ;)

Sal
13th-February-2003, 02:47 PM
Although, Dave Hancock does and did on Saturday. He spent all of our dance telling me not to spin or do a drop with him.

So, I spent all of the dance, doing spins and drops :devil:

Steve

Dave lost his kilt pin, and so had more problems than usual. I am glad that someone else had the same idea of multiple spins with him. The look on his face was priceless.:devil:

Tiggerbabe
14th-February-2003, 03:04 AM
Alas, I habitate antipodean climes. Er... that is to say, I'm an Aussie... but it'd be great to pop over to the UK of a weekend ;)

Well I kinda knew that already - The "Canberra" beside your avatar being a pretty good hint:wink: but you still sound MAd enough for me and the rest of the squad would be very pleased to see you if you ever make it up to Bonnie Scotland :waycool:

Dreadful Scathe
14th-February-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Sal
Dave lost his kilt pin, and so had more problems than usual.

What do you mean - more problems than usual ? what problems does he usually have :D ?

Sal
14th-February-2003, 10:16 AM
Ok, so I got my sentence wrong. Should have read "Dave lost his kilt pin and was having problems". Your attire also surprised me at the dance, I thought smurfs always wore blue!

TheTramp
14th-February-2003, 10:31 AM
Nope. Smurfs don't always wear blue. They just are blue....

Steve

Sal
16th-February-2003, 07:04 PM
Yeah, well, there was definately no blue anywhere on view. I am disappointed!

Dreadful Scathe
16th-February-2003, 08:22 PM
I have head and arms covered in specially formulated pinkish skin tone make up when im dancing :) The rest of me was blue :)

TheTramp
17th-February-2003, 02:04 AM
And I for one am willing to take your word on that, and will not require proof!! :D

Steve

horsey_dude
17th-February-2003, 08:56 AM
I have head and arms covered in specially formulated pinkish skin tone make up when im dancing :) The rest of me was blue :)

I think the real question is "what colour would you go if someone choked you"?