PDA

View Full Version : Did the Forum Make a difference to smoking at MJ venues?

Andy McGregor
27th-December-2005, 04:02 PM
The honorouble Mr McGregor may at least be pleased to know it is now a non smoking venue - but lets not get on that subject again!This has got me thinking. On the 19th August 2003 I started a thread titled "Smoking and Dancing Do Not Mix". It was a campaign to get all MJ venues to become non-smoking. Most people backed the campaign and agreed that MJ venues should be non-smoking some didn't.

Did the campaign work?

Are there any venues out there which still have smoking and dancing in the same hall?

WittyBird
27th-December-2005, 04:07 PM
This has got me thinking. On the 19th August 2003 I started a thread titled "Smoking and Dancing Do Not Mix". It was a campaign to get all MJ venues to become non-smoking. Most people backed the campaign and agreed that MJ venues should be non-smoking some didn't.

Did the campaign work?

Are there any venues out there which still have smoking and dancing in the same hall?

Bromley and Ashtons to name 2

Piglet
27th-December-2005, 05:05 PM
Unfortunately, our Tuesday night venue allows the smokers to have a puff in the dance hall - they used to smoke outside the front door but made a mess out there so were told they had to smoke inside instead (so I heard, but it was third hand so I could have been fobbed off - it's easily done :o ). They are also not allowed to smoke at the bar, so end up smoking in a booth near the dance floor. Fortunately, not many smokers partake of a puff during the evening.

Our Wednesday night venue is usually good, but newbies can be found puffing away on the odd occasion - think they have to ask for an ashtray though.

LMC
27th-December-2005, 05:16 PM
The hall at Finchley opens straight to outside (no lobby) so smoke still gets onto the floor. And comes into the hall at Berko from the bar as well.

Whitebeard
28th-December-2005, 12:18 AM
........ I started a thread titled "Smoking and Dancing Do Not Mix". It was a campaign to get all MJ venues to become non-smoking. .....

I should try being reasonably modest about this although you might have been one, very minor, influence in my decision to quit smoking at Easter. To my utter astonishment I found the process to be quite easy and painless. A week wearing patches, which were nearly as expensive as the smoking, and the rest was down to my quite remarkable will power !!!

I've done it a couple or three times before - but Christmas was always my undoing. Not this time though - I'm still in a personal smokeless zone.

Locally one venue is now officially 'no smoking' as it is owned by the Local Authority. The organiser had previously declined to enforce a ban on the grounds of personal liberty, but did request that smoking take place outside.

Another venue has no announced policy, but no ashtrays are provided and in practice if there is any smoking it takes place outside.

Smoking really is a minority 'sport' these days.

Gadget
28th-December-2005, 01:18 AM
Did the campaign work?
Before your campaign, Franck (I think that it was him) started a thread in a similar vein, asking people's thoughts on it. As a result of the comments and feedback from that, the "No Smoking" policy was rolled out in all of his venues.

Unfortunatly, as Piglet says, our Tuesday one is {I think} the only one where the policy has had to be flexed a little bit due to the venue owners. I can only remember about four or five times in the last year that it's been noticable on the floor.
{You think "yea - large clear area!" then once you are there think "ah. that's why :("}

Andy McGregor
28th-December-2005, 01:23 AM
Unfortunately, our Tuesday night venue allows the smokers to have a puff in the dance hall - they used to smoke outside the front door but made a mess out there so were told they had to smoke inside instead (so I heard, but it was third hand so I could have been fobbed off - it's easily done :o ). They are also not allowed to smoke at the bar, so end up smoking in a booth near the dance floor. Fortunately, not many smokers partake of a puff during the evening.This is amazing. The smokers were inconsiderate and messy outside. So they were done a favour and allowed to be inconsiderate and messy indoors. If it was me I'd have supplied bins for the smokers outside and if that had failed I'd have banned smoking outdoors as well.

Gadget
28th-December-2005, 01:35 AM
It's not a venue owned by Ceroc: it's a bowling and social club. To get bins would require raising a motion at an AGM to discuss the idea, then having meetings discussing the type and placement of them, who would empty them, who would be responsable for any repairs or maintenance,...
And they don't need them because we are probably the only users of the venue that want a no smoking policy. :shrug:

And how could you enfore or even justify a ban "outside"?

Heather
28th-December-2005, 10:48 AM
I believe that in March 2006 in Scotland it will become illegal to smoke in public and enclosed spaces. The Scottish Parliament has passed this and it will come into force in March. After that date you should be able to go into any pub, restaurant, dance hall etc in Scotland without being subjected to filthy cigarette fumes. :clap: :clap:

:hug:
Heather,
xx

TiggsTours
28th-December-2005, 10:56 AM
Does option one in the poll cover years too?

TiggsTours
28th-December-2005, 10:57 AM
Bromley and Ashtons to name 2
Ahtons, yes, but not in the same room, you are supposed to go upstairs, and I for one always tell smokers I see there where to go!

under par
28th-December-2005, 11:54 AM
Although it is only allowed upstairs at Ashtons there where several times last night on the dance floor when the stench of smoke from the balcony was very bad.
I felt like I was dancing in an ashtray.:mad: at times!!

Admit it wasn't all the time but for a non smoker with a cold it was bad enough.

Its the only time I have noticed smoke on a dance floor this year.

...... except my only visit to Bromley where people where lighting up all round the dance floor:angry: ......it will be my last visit there!!

Andy McGregor
28th-December-2005, 02:15 PM
And how could you enfore or even justify a ban "outside"?I'd ask smokers not to smoke outside. Then I'd ask any smokers not doing as I'd asked if they could dance down the road at a competitors night :wink:

LMC
28th-December-2005, 02:30 PM
And how could you enfore or even justify a ban "outside"?
Justification: if smokers are too close to the door then smoke still gets in (Finchley) and litter (lots of places).

Enforcement: Unless the venue itself has a rule, I'm not sure that outside smoking can be restricted. Stevenage venue is a school and notices clearly state that the grounds are entirely non-smoking. So I guess that the managers could ban repeat offenders (who don't want to walk the rather long way to the gate!) on the basis that they are putting Ceroc's use of the venue at risk if the school gets annoyed about cigarette litter.

Otherwise I don't think that banning smoking outside can be enforced, although I guess you could ask people not to stand so close to the doors that smoke blows in.

Piglet
28th-December-2005, 04:04 PM
I believe that in March 2006 in Scotland it will become illegal to smoke in public and enclosed spaces.
Unfortunately I also heard that private clubs (as in our Tuesday night club) will not be affected by this law - hopefully I'm wrong.

However, there is another thing that the smokers could do rather than smoke outside or smoke in the hall ceroc is occupying - they could go through to the back room where snooker/pool is played and smoking goes on throughout the night. Just an idea - don't know if any of the smokers already do this. They may well do, as I'm sure there are more smokers attend ceroc than I'm aware of.

I think some might even go out for a walk around while they smoke - you would certainly never know that they had been doing so as there is no trace of smoke lingering on them in any way. Many thanks from me for such considerate dancers/smokers :clap: :hug:

TheTramp
28th-December-2005, 04:09 PM
Unfortunately I also heard that private clubs (as in our Tuesday night club) will not be affected by this law - hopefully I'm wrong.
I don't believe that the Tuesday night venue will be classed as a private club, and hence will be subject to the new law...

Have you ever been this happy to be wrong before? :flower:

Piglet
28th-December-2005, 04:14 PM
I don't believe that the Tuesday night venue will be classed as a private club, and hence will be subject to the new law...
EXCELLENT!
If you are indeed right - not going to hold my breath (unless there's smoke about :whistle: )

Andy McGregor
28th-December-2005, 06:07 PM
You've all been taken in! Well not all of you but certainly some of you. There seems to be some myth that smokers and smoking must be provided for. Here is the simple argument. THEY DON'T HAVE TO SMOKE. They can't smoke on transatlantic flights and survive. They can't smoke at the movies. Why do we think they should be allowed to mess up the areas outside entrances to venues or stink out the air inside venues with their life-threatening smoke?

The simple answer is to ask people not to smoke in the same hall as dancing. If they are inconsiderate and insist on smoking having been asked not to I see no reason why we should extend them any courtesy whatsoever. Ask them to leave - be rude if you feel like it. After all, they've been completely inconsiderate in smoking when they've been asked not to.

Piglet
29th-December-2005, 01:56 AM
I agree with you wholeheartedly Andy, but since I'm just a punter... ain't it up to whoever is running the evening to point out the rules? Or does a punter have to complain to whoever's running the shebang on the night in question?

I've never asked so don't know - but I do cough loudly and throw dirty looks in the direction of the offenders - and if I happen to walk by I wave my arms frantically like windmills whilst coughing loudly :rofl:

Would be interested to know Franck's stance on this one as I don't remember seeing anything written to say it's a non-smoking evening - just heard things through word of mouth more than anything.

David Bailey
29th-December-2005, 10:14 AM
Although it is only allowed upstairs at Ashtons there where several times last night on the dance floor when the stench of smoke from the balcony was very bad.
I felt like I was dancing in an ashtray.:mad: at times!!
:what: Strange, I didn't notice anything, in fact I never have at Ashtons - but then I do have the observational powers of a dead newt.

...... except my only visit to Bromley where people where lighting up all round the dance floor:angry: ......it will be my last visit there!!
Bromley's not getting a lot of good publicity lately is it? :rofl:

under par
29th-December-2005, 12:53 PM
:what: Strange, I didn't notice anything, in fact I never have at Ashtons - but then I do have the observational powers of a dead newt.

:

I'm also closer to the balcony than most!!!!:whistle:

Andy McGregor
29th-December-2005, 01:08 PM
I agree with you wholeheartedly Andy, but since I'm just a punter... ain't it up to whoever is running the evening to point out the rules? Or does a punter have to complain to whoever's running the shebang on the night in question? No, the punter does not have to complain. If a night has a no smoking policy it will also have an enforcement policy - if it doesn't have an enforcement policy as part of it's no smoking policy you might consider that it doesn't really have a no smoking policy at all - more of a wish list put together by some out of touch dreamer who doesn't live in the real world.

And if a venue is promoted as being non-smoking and fails to enforce that non-smoking promise it is in breach of contract. That is the contract where you have been promised a non-smoking event and they have received your payment. In those circumstaces you can ask for the return of your money and probably any expenses you have incurred in attending that venue. Please let me know if there's any such venue in Scotland and I'll fly up First Class :devil:

stewart38
29th-December-2005, 03:34 PM
You've all been taken in! Well not all of you but certainly some of you. There seems to be some myth that smokers and smoking must be provided for. Here is the simple argument. THEY DON'T HAVE TO SMOKE. They can't smoke on transatlantic flights and survive. They can't smoke at the movies. Why do we think they should be allowed to mess up the areas outside entrances to venues or stink out the air inside venues with their life-threatening smoke?

The simple answer is to ask people not to smoke in the same hall as dancing. If they are inconsiderate and insist on smoking having been asked not to I see no reason why we should extend them any courtesy whatsoever. Ask them to leave - be rude if you feel like it. After all, they've been completely inconsiderate in smoking when they've been asked not to.

when you go of on a RANT like this i would say it does more harm then good and although I think the forum had some influence (hence my vote) things like this dont help

At your venue if you saw a smoker in the car park smoking would you go up to him/her and tell them to F*** o** and not come back

There are as you know a number of smokers on this forum

TheTramp
29th-December-2005, 04:10 PM
There are as you know a number of smokers on this forum

And what?

Was talking to someone the other day, and came up with something that may well put how I feel and smoking into perspective.

On the whole, I would prefer most people to come up and punch me in the stomach, rather than smoke near me. I have stomach muscles. In most cases the people punching me aren't likely to cause me much worry. My lungs however are rather more susceptible to cigarette smoke. Breathing it in is quite likely to cause my asthma to react, which is a rather unpleasant feeling, and one I can well do without.

Personally, I feel that anyone who smokes in a public place deserves all the crap that they get, and I'm really not that worried about Andy or anyone else upsetting them, or hurting their feelings. And anywhere near the entrance to a public place counts as a public place if I've got to walk through the smoke to gain entry.

stewart38
29th-December-2005, 04:21 PM
Personally, I feel that anyone who smokes in a public place deserves all the crap that they get, and I'm really not that worried about Andy or anyone else upsetting them, or hurting their feelings. And anywhere near the entrance to a public place counts as a public place if I've got to walk through the smoke to gain entry.

So what are we saying

Have them smoke totally of premises say 100yrds away from entrance

Im not saying Im against it im just trying to get a feel where people are coming from but its going of thread

for the record I hate smoking never have smoked and hate the smell it effects my eyes

Piglet
29th-December-2005, 04:28 PM
Please let me know if there's any such venue in Scotland and I'll fly up First Class :devil:

Well since the word is out that you're a fab dancer I have to say that every single one of our venues in Aberdeen lets smokers get away with it.

How soon can you book your ticket and does this mean I'll get a dance? :flower:

(In fact I left JJ's last night as soon as I smelt the cigarettes a'burning - which was just after 1030 and after our lovely DJ and teacher had gone home)

TheTramp
29th-December-2005, 04:32 PM
(In fact I left JJ's last night as soon as I smelt the cigarettes a'burning - which was just after 1030 and after our lovely DJ and teacher had gone home)

To be fair, it's kind of difficult to stop people smoking in a nightclub - especially after the Ceroc class has finished, and it's open to the general public.

At least, until next April that is :D

:blush:

TheTramp
29th-December-2005, 04:36 PM
So what are we saying

Have them smoke totally of premises say 100yrds away from entrance

I submit that if people want to carry out a disgusting, smelly, offensive, nasty habit that causes both short term as well as long term damage to other human beings, then the only place that they should be allowed to do it, is in their own homes, where the only people they affect are those that choose, or have to be there.

I've had asthma attacks on a number of occasions before now from just walking down a crowded street, and coming up next to a smoker, just as they exhale a cloud of smoke.

Piglet
29th-December-2005, 04:37 PM
To be fair, it's kind of difficult to stop people smoking in a nightclub - especially after the Ceroc class has finished, and it's open to the general public.

I agree totally and I'm absolutely and totally thankful and grateful for the ceroc smoking folk who do do their smoking elsewhere. I wasn't intending sticking around too late anyway but had missed dancing with at least one guy I wanted to dance with and I really wanted another dance with a fab dancer who was there, but the smoking put me off hanging around.

I'd have to say that if smoking was the accepted habit in ceroc then I for one wouldn't still be taking part in it.

David Bailey
29th-December-2005, 04:39 PM
So what are we saying
I think TheTramp was saying that it's OK to punch him? :innocent:

For the record, I'd be surprised if anything mentioned on the Forum has had any significant effect on any MJ activities - to quote CRL again "Go on, no-one reads this stuff".

Can anyone prove me wrong?

TheTramp
29th-December-2005, 04:42 PM
I think TheTramp was saying that it's OK to punch him? :innocent:
Feel free. Any subsequent actions I take are then self-defence*.... :flower:

* Yes, I know the relevant law regarding self defence, there is no need to point it out. Thank you

Piglet
29th-December-2005, 04:44 PM
- to quote CRL again "Go on, no-one reads this stuff".
Who??
Is this some great wise person then?

Signed
Oh! I must be no-one!

stewart38
29th-December-2005, 04:49 PM
I submit that if people want to carry out a disgusting, smelly, offensive, nasty habit that causes both short term as well as long term damage to other human beings, then the only place that they should be allowed to do it, is in their own homes, where the only people they affect are those that choose, or have to be there.

Like their young kids etc :sad:

TheTramp
29th-December-2005, 04:51 PM
Like their young kids etc :sad:
Unfortunately yes. Those :(

David Bailey
29th-December-2005, 04:55 PM
Who??
Is this some great wise person then?
Clive, they've forgotten you already :tears:

Anyway, here's the post (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=163456#post163456).

Piglet
29th-December-2005, 05:12 PM
Clive, they've forgotten you already :tears:

Anyway, here's the post (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=163456#post163456).
So what's the R for then?

David Bailey
29th-December-2005, 05:17 PM
So what's the R for then?
Don't ask me, it's his middle name, he used it, ask him yourself :rolleyes: :na:

Piglet
29th-December-2005, 05:21 PM
Don't ask me, it's his middle name, he used it, ask him yourself :rolleyes: :na:
Not on here he hasn't - that I know anyway.

First guess would be Richard, then Ronald then Reginald... but most likely its Ringo! Not that its that important to me, but I've never heard him being called CRL before - maybe I don't read enough of these threads........:rolleyes:

TheTramp
29th-December-2005, 05:25 PM
Not on here he hasn't - that I know anyway.

First guess would be Richard, then Ronald then Reginald...
Robert?
Rupert?
Roy?

ducasi
29th-December-2005, 05:40 PM
(In fact I left JJ's last night as soon as I smelt the cigarettes a'burning - which was just after 1030 and after our lovely DJ and teacher had gone home) At the Glasgow JJ's on Tuesday I stayed a bit late, but it's amazing how quickly just one or two people smoking can stink the whole place out. Yuk.

CeeCee
29th-December-2005, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Piglet
First guess would be Richard, then Ronald then Reginald

Originally posted by The Tramp
Robert?
Rupert?
Roy?

Rudolf ?
Romeo ?
Rambo ?

ducasi
29th-December-2005, 05:41 PM
So what's the R for then? Righteous! (Like in Finding Nemo :wink:)

TheTramp
29th-December-2005, 05:42 PM
Rudolf ?
Romeo ?
Rambo ?

Would that be someone with a drink problem who makes love AND war??

Piglet
29th-December-2005, 05:44 PM
Rocky???

I've got a real life Rocky in my family - married one of my cousins in the USA.
ain't they just quaint??

Andy McGregor
29th-December-2005, 05:50 PM
when you go of on a RANT like this i would say it does more harm then good and although I think the forum had some influence (hence my vote) things like this dont help

At your venue if you saw a smoker in the car park smoking would you go up to him/her and tell them to F*** o** and not come back

There are as you know a number of smokers on this forumThis is Stewart 38's opinion - and it's completely wrong. Maybe he's disagreeing with me because I picked out his lack of ironing skill :innocent:

If I was running a car park and that car park was a non-smoking multi-story car park or was on a non-smoking site I would ask that person smoking to stop smoking. I wouldn't use the bad language mentioned by S38 because I would be talking to one of my customers - all I would be doing was informing them of the terms and conditions which applied. However, if they failed to comply with the terms and conditions once they had been reminded of them I would ask them to leave - even then I would be polite.

There are a number of smokers on this forum. They have shown us that they are the polite kind who would be mortified if they thought they'd caused another dancer to have an asthma attack or contributed to an illness that shortened their lives. There are other smokers who seem to feel that part of their freedom has been removed if they can't smoke where and when they like - these inconsiderate smokers forget that the rest of us think we should have the freedom to breathe air that does not contain substances harmful to health.

Piglet
29th-December-2005, 05:55 PM
There are a number of smokers on this forum. They have shown us that they are the polite kind who would be mortified if they thought they'd caused another dancer to have an asthma attack or contributed to an illness that shortened their lives.

I *think* that Stewart (in his madness, right enough) was only trying to put the opposite opinion across. I have to agree with you, Andy, that the majority of smokers in a venue in Aberdeen or anywhere else I have been in Scotland are very considerate people and I take my hat off to them all.

Of course I could be wrong about Stewart, but hey, he's just repped me 5 points so I think I might be in love :rofl: (always knew I was easy but never realised how easy!)

(Of course - this all might just be the Bailey's talking - can you all remind me next year not to buy any until AFTER Christmas when it is so shockingly cheap! Many thanks, from one of the meanest Aberdonians to live on this earth)

CeeCee
29th-December-2005, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Would that be someone with a drink problem who makes love AND war??
Nice one Tramp, I like it.

Romulus ?
Remus ?
Rufus ?

stewart38
29th-December-2005, 06:04 PM
I *think* that Stewart (in his madness, right enough) was only trying to put the opposite opinion across. I have to agree with you, Andy, that the majority of smokers in a venue in Aberdeen or anywhere else I have been in Scotland are very considerate people and I take my hat off to them all.

Of course I could be wrong about Stewart, but hey, he's just repped me 5 points so I think I might be in love :rofl: (always knew I was easy but never realised how easy!)

(Of course - this all might just be the Bailey's talking - can you all remind me next year not to buy any until AFTER Christmas when it is so shockingly cheap! Many thanks, from one of the meanest Aberdonians to live on this earth)

Well looks like they can now only smoke at home in front of their kids including tommy who is 5 and looks at mummy smoking ,with tears (caused by the smoking) running down his eyes

she says to sweet little Tommy "she cant no longer have a quick fag in an open multi story car park because it been banned" :sad:

ps 5 points seems to have got you excited what would 15 points do :blush:

Piglet
29th-December-2005, 06:12 PM
Well looks like they can now only smoke at home in front of their kids including tommy who is 5 and looks at mummy smoking ,with tears (caused by the smoking) running down his eyes
Hey you just bummed out Stewart - pity you used the name Tommy! Cos that's what my boyfriend used to be called when at school -now he's just sexy Tom! :wink: :wink: And thank God he's an ex-smoker!!

tiger
29th-December-2005, 06:41 PM
Why dont the irate non smokers just not go to the offending venue and also phone or email the franchisee or owner and tell them why they're losing customers,they might listen especially if a few or lots do this and who knows maybe some action might be taken.

LMC
29th-December-2005, 07:47 PM
It's obvious CeeCee, it's got to be Rumpelstiltskin.

I don't think the forum has had any impact at all. I would put the reduction in smoking venues down to change in public opinion and Government tub-thumping.

ducasi
29th-December-2005, 08:04 PM
It's obvious CeeCee, it's got to be Rumpelstiltskin. Does this mean you get to keep your first-born child now? :clap:

CeeCee
29th-December-2005, 08:10 PM
originally posted by LMC
It's obvious CeeCee, it's got to be Rumpelstiltskin
brilliant!

Ruairi ?
Rory ?
Ruaridh ?

originally posted by LMC
Government tub-thumping
???

LMC
29th-December-2005, 08:14 PM
Wellll... I can't call it "threat of legislation" as the Government doesn't seem to be able to make its mind up (and is probably terrified of losing billions in tax revenue :rolleyes: ) - but all the discussion of whether or not to follow our Gaelic cousins' lead (on both sides of the St George's Channel) has definitely had an impact IMO.

David Bailey
12th-January-2006, 11:37 AM
brilliant!

Ruairi ?
Rory ?
Ruaridh ?

I know the truth!

Will sell out Clive for rep.... :whistle:

Rebecca
12th-January-2006, 12:37 PM
I should try being reasonably modest about this although you might have been one, very minor, influence in my decision to quit smoking at Easter.

Well done Whitebeard :cheers:

I think I’m at the right stage in my ‘recovery’ to share with you how the forum has had a small but significant impact on smoking (in case you’re bored):

I started smoking when I was 11 years old (used to steal them from my mum and the local shopkeeper would sell them individually to us for 10p each). Peer pressure from my friends stopped me for a while in my mid-teenage years (they were good girls mostly). However being around the ballet scene (we were encouraged to smoke by the way) and on starting university I ended up smoking between 20 and 30 per day. So all in all I reckon about 14 years ‘all told’.:what:

As the weight piled on from stopping ballet training and being a student (pints and fast food) I was certainly not going to give up smoking! In fact the more people chastised me about it the more I would dig my heels in.

On starting Ceroc in 2003 I found that I lost weight, but I would still go to the corner of a venue to have a fag, then outside when the bans started coming in. I was aware on some level how the smell of smoke etc might impact upon fellow dancers, but tried not to give it much thought as this would challenge my ‘please like me’ schema. :blush:

Then I read some of the posts on the forum and it became clear that the two things were not compatible – I can’t expect people to tolerate me smoking if I want them to a) like me, and b) enjoy dancing with me. In fact on one night out last year one man said “we HATE you people” to me, and I was truly shocked.:tears:

I stopped smoking at the beginning of November, have allowed myself a few lapses (few and far between) and feel much better (if a little fatter).

Although I would have hated to admit it last year, a little chastisement can go a long way.

TheTramp
12th-January-2006, 12:52 PM
I stopped smoking at the beginning of November, have allowed myself a few lapses (few and far between) and feel much better (if a little fatter).

That's great. And trust me. It really doesn't show..... :flower:

LMC
12th-January-2006, 01:01 PM
Well done Rebecca - I gave up smoking 1 July last year, so I've been there too.

Saying "We hate people like you" is a thoroughly vile thing for that man to say :mad: - "Dislike the behaviour, not the person" principle. I am the worst zeal-of-the-converted rabid anti-smoking person of my acquaintance :blush: - but I would never cut someone off my friends list or refuse to dance with them on that basis (although I would be perfectly comfortable with telling them how horrible they smell :D )

Just remember how much richer you are, how much nicer you smell, and (the big one for me, 'cos I'm shallow) how much you are saving your skin!

Piglet
12th-January-2006, 01:47 PM
On starting Ceroc in 2003 I found that I lost weight, but I would still go to the corner of a venue to have a fag, then outside when the bans started coming in. I was aware on some level how the smell of smoke etc might impact upon fellow dancers, but tried not to give it much thought as this would challenge my ‘please like me’ schema. :blush:

Then I read some of the posts on the forum and it became clear that the two things were not compatible

Well done Rebecca! That's a great story on the whole - not so good about the comment you got - and although I do windmill impressions I'm not brave enough (or nasty enough? Might be debatable) to go up to someone and be so brash as that. Have a hug from me :hug:

By the way Franck - I reckon (with Rebecca's permission) you could sell this post to the Scottish Health Authority for them to use in their "Help to Stop Smoking Ads" and you'd get a free ceroc advert too! (Maybe pretend Rebecca's a man though cos more men are always a good thing :D )

Rebecca
12th-January-2006, 03:28 PM
By the way Franck - I reckon (with Rebecca's permission) you could sell this post to the Scottish Health Authority for them to use in their "Help to Stop Smoking Ads" and you'd get a free ceroc advert too! (Maybe pretend Rebecca's a man though cos more men are always a good thing :D )

Ooer, I'm no example to anyone. The press would surely then discover all of my other dirty habits :innocent:

Thanks for the support though :flower:

P.S. I no longer take my (new temple-like) self into said-man's venue, so in my own passive-aggressive way I feel victorious :confused:

Whitebeard
12th-January-2006, 07:37 PM
Well done Whitebeard

Thank you Rebecca, I do feel quite pleased with myself. Especially as I've passed the Christmas Test this time and remain on the virtuous path. Previous attempts to go smokefree foundered as I yielded to Yuletide temptations. I remain puzzled as to why I quite suddenly found the motivation to stop smoking, and how this time I found the process relatively easy to keep to. Even angina and subsequent heart surgery didn't previously get the message through to me. (Could it be due to the fact there is now no woman in my life - perish the thought !!!)

In that connection, heart not woman, my blood pressure has plummeted to a very healthy level which finally proves to me, far too late, how smoking does damage health.

Congratulations on your success in achieving a healthier life-style.