PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who

LMC
25th-December-2005, 10:56 PM
New Doctor Who - discuss...

I seem to remember that Time Lords only have 12 incarnations (and that is why The Master was Evil because he had theoretically run out...) - what will the BBC do when the Doctor reaches the end of No. 12? - David Tennant is the 10th.

I liked the ending of tonight's episode - downbeat-ish, but felt like that's how it might really be if the Earth was invaded by aliens and managed to get rid of them... sadly.

Oh a more profound note: David Tennant . :drool: - but Tom Baker still is THE Doctor, sorry. Isn't he? - vote now! - it's VERY important.

EDIT: Oh, more about Doctor Who than you needed to know (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_Who) (I needed to check I'd got them all in the right order on the poll. I had... how sad am I? On second thoughts, please don't answer that)

Lynn
25th-December-2005, 11:21 PM
Haven't seen tonights episode yet (family dinner). So haven't seen David Tennant yet though I agree in general he is quite :drool:

I probably have most memories of seeing Tom Baker as the Doctor, though I remember having a Jon Pertwee annual.

And yes, I did hide behind the sofa when the Daleks were on (I've just checked with my mum).

thewacko
26th-December-2005, 11:49 AM
I had... how sad am I? On second thoughts, please don't answer that)
:eek: well I still think that the original doctor - who was in black and white, (at least in Yorkshire he was) will always be The Doctor :worthy: I must be even sadder than you:sad:

I suppose its a bit like Sean Connery will always be James Bond:eek:

I seem to remember that Time Lords only have 12 incarnations (and that is why The Master was Evil because he had theoretically run out...) - what will the BBC do when the Doctor reaches the end of No. 12? - David Tennant is the 10th.)
:D how many incarnations do secret agents have then:D

dee
26th-December-2005, 12:29 PM
I just have to say, i have never watched Dr Who before and saw my first episode last night. What a strange programme, obviously i don't have a clue what im talking about (what's new) but what's with the scary spinning xmas trees? all very weird stuff:confused: think im better off sticking to Postman Pat :worthy:

ducasi
26th-December-2005, 12:36 PM
I just have to say, i have never watched Dr Who before ... :confused: How is this possible??? :confused:

What a strange programme ... What a strange girl!

thewacko
26th-December-2005, 12:55 PM
:confused: How is this possible??? :confused:

:waycool: must be a girl thing:waycool:
:yeah:

dee
26th-December-2005, 01:08 PM
Well i thought it was hit with a capital "S"

Give me Eastenders and Postman Pat and im happy :wink:

Missy D
26th-December-2005, 01:35 PM
I watched it for a few minutes when i was a child and the daleks scared the poo out of me. Not watched it since.

Rhythm King
26th-December-2005, 01:40 PM
You know how people say: "I remember what I was doing when President Kennedy was assassinated"? Well the day the news broke over here was the day of the first Dr Who. It is possible the sombre mood in the house, indeed the country, had had an effect on the three King children as we gathered around the family's black and white TV, but the programme itself was so very different to kids used to The Woodentops, Andy Pandy and the like. Even the electronic music was new and weird. I cannot get across to young people today (specifically my teenage nephew, staying at my sister's, as I am) just how scary it was. Nowadays they are so used to Sci Fi, and really good special effects.

I was only five at the time, but even now I remember it. I have watched all the different incarnations of the Doctor, and by the way you have missed out Peter Cushing who played him twice on film (and that counts because you've listed Paul McGann and his story is considered a film). The series has always been there, effectively as long as I can remember. As to my favorite doctors, well Bill Hartnell, as the first, quite literally viewed from between fingers, behind the sofa, Christopher Ecclestone's suberb character ("lots of planets have a north") but Tom Baker gets the scarf (and the jellybabies). The new one has potential though.

Incidentally, did anyone see Dr Who's Christmas Party on Deadringers last night - brilliant!

R-K

(OK, so now I've been outed as an S-F fan, don't get me started on Gerry Anderson - right?)

Missy D
26th-December-2005, 02:26 PM
(OK, so now I've been outed as an S-F fan, )

We love the silver fox too:drool:

Tiggerbabe
26th-December-2005, 03:04 PM
The new one has potential though.

I think so too, my son and I watched this last night and I thought the new Dr was well cool :wink:

LMC
26th-December-2005, 03:19 PM
< snip >... by the way you have missed out Peter Cushing who played him twice on film (and that counts because you've listed Paul McGann and his story is considered a film). < snip >
oooh yes, I remember Peter Cushing and the Daleks film (don't think I've seen the other, was it Cybermen or Daleks again?)

Own up R-K, this was YOUR office wasn't it? (from the Guardian's Campaign for a Real Office Christmas (http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/news/archives/2005/12/23/your_office_christmas_pictures_the_winners.html))

Photographer's comment: OK there are a few Doctor Who fans in our office. The inflatable Dalek that lives in the corner has long been considered the team mascot and usually dons a Santa hat and some tinsel come the festive season. However this Christmas, possibly inspired by the successful resurrection of the good Doctor this year, we went a bit ... further. The Dalek was joined by a chum, the thought process then went something like: two Daleks, if they were joined by a baby Dalek we'd have ... a Dalek Nativity! Three wise men become three wise Cybermen. The lowing animal becomes K9. The stable becomes a humble police box. You get the drift ...

dee
26th-December-2005, 05:39 PM
Incidentally, did anyone see Dr Who's Christmas Party on Deadringers last night - brilliant!
R-K

(OK, so now I've been outed as an S-F fan, don't get me started on Gerry Anderson - right?)

Only thing i can agree on is, im a fan of Silver Fox too :clap: so is foxy the new Dr Who? if so i may have to start watching it :drool:

Rhythm King
26th-December-2005, 05:43 PM
We love the silver fox too:drool:

Only thing i can agree on is, im a fan of Silver Fox too so is foxy the new Dr Who? if so i may have to start watching it

:rolleyes:

You stoopid women!

Graham W
26th-December-2005, 05:49 PM
My only TV must sees in 2005 were SCD, SDF & Dr Who (not the Xmas episode) - but my fav Dr Who is Jon Pertwee.. I prefer the slightly serious approach.

G

Piglet
26th-December-2005, 06:15 PM
Jon for me too! After watching him I wouldn't give Tom Baker - or any of the others a second look. However, I now think Tom Baker is a fantastic actor so I kind of wish I'd given him more of a chance.

Like David Tennant - although I agree with Dee a bit on last night's plot - although if I'm honest I've kind of outgrown Dr Who.

(As an aside - I bought the Trivial Pursuit DVD game for my son and Chris Eccleston has already made one of the questions out-of-date! Mind you, at least I knew the answer to that quezzy)

Baruch
26th-December-2005, 06:49 PM
Looks like I'm the only Christopher Eccleston fan so far, then.

Tom Baker was the Doctor of my youth and he was brilliant, but I think Eccleston brought the Doctor into the 21st century so well that he just about edges it. Baker comes a very close second, though.

(Dons asbestos underwear and hides behind the TARDIS)

Oh, and speaking of Tom Baker-era Doctor Who, did anyone else notice from the advance clips after the Christmas episode that K-9 is going to make an appearance in the new series?

ducasi
26th-December-2005, 08:51 PM
Just watched the Christmas episode... Quite enjoyed it, though it reminded me of an earlier episode in the last series.

David Tennent's a good actor, and I'm sure he'll do well. Don't think he'll ever beat Tom Baker though. In another 10 years, looking back, I expect Christopher Eccleston's Doctor to have been forgotten, but TB will always be Doctor Who.

David Bailey
26th-December-2005, 09:17 PM
I was a big fan of Mr Eccleston too - and very prepared to loathe this new upstart.

But I became a fan as soon as he sat bolt upright from the bed and zapped the Xmas tree - that look was well cool.

Looking forward to the next series, as far as I'm concerned the Beeb have totally hit the jackpot for Saturday evening TV now, with SCD and Doctor Who. Also, I loved the "No, it's not snow, it's ash from the aliens we've just disintegrated" line - classic nastiness there.

Rhythm King
26th-December-2005, 10:58 PM
Looks like I'm the only Christopher Eccleston fan so far, then.

Tom Baker was the Doctor of my youth and he was brilliant, but I think Eccleston brought the Doctor into the 21st century so well that he just about edges it. Baker comes a very close second, though.

(Dons asbestos underwear and hides behind the TARDIS)

Oh, and speaking of Tom Baker-era Doctor Who, did anyone else notice from the advance clips after the Christmas episode that K-9 is going to make an appearance in the new series?

Not just K-9, but Sarah Jane Sladen too. I think it's kind of cool that the Doctor is going to re-visit one of his old assistants and catch up on old times, as it were.

Agree with your Christopher Eccleston comments on the whole, but I went with Tom Baker in the end - only just though.

El Salsero Gringo
26th-December-2005, 11:48 PM
Not just K-9, but Sarah Jane Sladen too. Sarah Jane Smith, played by actress Elizabeth Sladen.

Rhythm King
26th-December-2005, 11:49 PM
Sarah Jane Smith, played by actress Elizabeth Sladen.

Yes that's what I meant - too much port after dinner - hic :blush:

LMC
27th-December-2005, 01:16 AM
I thought Leela/Leila (Louise Jamieson) was the best assistant - no, not the costume, more the aggression... with Mary Tamm as Romana a close second.

I think Sarah Jane was the longest running though?

ducasi
27th-December-2005, 01:48 AM
At the time I liked Leela, but not so much in retrospect... My favourite looking back is probably Romana, though I quite liked Peri too. They both had brains, and didn't spend the whole episode each week screaming "Doctor!!!" (Unlike Sarah Jane...)

thewacko
27th-December-2005, 09:30 AM
... Also, I loved the "No, it's not snow, it's ash from the aliens we've just disintegrated" line - classic nastiness there.

:waycool: I must admit the comment, when the doctor was in the dressing gown, "very Arthur Dench" re: Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy was brilliant:waycool:

LMC
27th-December-2005, 01:20 PM
That would be Arthur Dent :D - yeah, I liked the cross-reference too.

I just hope he lasts a bit longer than Christopher Eccleston - just kinda got used to him and he's off!

Rhythm King
27th-December-2005, 01:48 PM

Ooh,aren't we being Little Miss Ford Perfect :wink: It is fun when they have cross-overs though, like ET being in the crowd scene in the Star Wars Phantom Menace movie and Serenity being in one of the background shots of new Battlestar Galactica.

I just hope he lasts a bit longer than Christopher Eccleston - just kinda got used to him and he's off!
:yeah: We'll be losing Rose next, as Billie Piper is off to Hollywood apparently.

thewacko
27th-December-2005, 01:54 PM
:yeah: We'll be losing Rose next, as Billie Piper is off to Hollywood apparently.
:sad: just as I was about to invite her round for tea wif me and taz,:sad:
oh well save me having to die my hair ginger:rofl:

thewacko
27th-December-2005, 01:55 PM
:yeah: him as well:rofl:

Rhythm King
27th-December-2005, 01:57 PM
:sad: just as I was about to invite her round for tea wif me and taz,:sad:
oh well save me having to die my hair ginger:rofl:

Have you got some comedy specs too?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

thewacko
27th-December-2005, 02:23 PM
Have you got some comedy specs too?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:rolleyes:
some where the eyeballs fall out on springs:whistle:
:yeah:

Icey
27th-December-2005, 10:32 PM
I have memories of Peter Davidson and Sylvester McCoy as the Doctor, but only vague ones The other memories I have regarding Dr Who are ones of my sister hiding behind my Mum or legging it out of the room. David Tennant :drool: DING DONG!!!!

Stuart M
28th-December-2005, 12:37 PM
Not just K-9, but Sarah Jane Sladen too.
And some rather art-deco looking Cybermen?

I went for Tennant because I enjoyed the Christmas special so much. Thought the guy did a superb job, even though he was only on screen for about twenty minutes of it - the 'no wait, that's the Lion King' line was priceless :rofl:

Those of us who grew up watching the Tom Baker era all have somewhat rose-tinted specs about it, but he did hog the screen a bit at times, looking back.

Rhythm King
28th-December-2005, 01:26 PM
Having watched the Dr Who Confidential about the Christmas Special, I was amazed to hear David Tennant's natural lilting Scottish tones - I had no idea! Hats off to the chap, for a first rate acting accent.

I still like the digs at Billie Piper about Chris Evans - banging on about wanting to be ginger :rofl: It's repeated on 1 Jan, I'll have to tape it so I can go back and enjoy it over again and see what else I missed.

TA Guy
28th-December-2005, 03:43 PM
Fraid I have to disagree with most. Jon Pertwee for me. Tom Baker, although good... nothing wrong with him per se, IMO that's where they started to introduce some of the things that started it all going wrong. From him onwards I watched less and less until they ended up with Sylvester McCoy which was when I just forgot about Dr Who completely. Primetime viewing to Cack in ten or so years :) Thankfully, I'm glad to say they seem to have got it back on track, enjoyed em all since McGann.

thewacko
29th-December-2005, 02:13 AM
Fraid I have to disagree with most. Jon Pertwee for me.
naw come off it ever since he did that scarecrow thingummy whatsit how can you think of him as Dr Who . . . Sorry I aint got my doctor head aunt sally the daleks will have to blast your brains out . . . and unless the cyber men ring on the telling bone I couldn't possibly do anything aunt sally:mad: :mad: :mad:

TA Guy
29th-December-2005, 11:08 AM
naw come off it ever since he did that scarecrow thingummy whatsit how can you think of him as Dr Who . . . Sorry I aint got my doctor head aunt sally the daleks will have to blast your brains out . . . and unless the cyber men ring on the telling bone I couldn't possibly do anything aunt sally:mad: :mad: :mad:

LOL. I'd forgotten about that scarecrow thingy. Wurzel Gumidge or something, or I'm thinking of something completely different. The Wurzels maybe. They did good jive songs :)

thewacko
29th-December-2005, 11:36 AM
LOL. I'd forgotten about that scarecrow thingy. Wurzel Gumidge or something, or I'm thinking of something completely different. The Wurzels maybe. They did good jive songs :)

Billy "is this the key to the tardis doctor?"
Worzel "no its the brand new key to my combine harvester":rofl: :rofl:

Wow really looking forward to the brand new series:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cruella
29th-December-2005, 11:40 AM
Very devious LMC! I think this thread is really about finding out how old we are!! Surely the Dr who we grew up with is going to be most peoples choice. Of course that would make my favourite Christopher Eccleston :whistle:
Actually it's Jon Pertwee.

LMC
29th-December-2005, 01:29 PM
Hidden text in yellow doesn't work on Basic Blue Cruella :D

I think it all started to go downhill with Peter Davison and stopped watching after he'd done a couple of series. But Christopher Eccleston has brought the series back to the good old days IMO - and David Tennant is already running a close second to Tom Baker for me (and winning if I'm shallow and just go on SA :drool: :drool: :drool: I posted this thread, therefore I saw him first, he's MINE I tell you, MINE - I just need to tell him...)

ElaineB
29th-December-2005, 01:58 PM
And some rather art-deco looking Cybermen?

Those of us who grew up watching the Tom Baker era all have somewhat rose-tinted specs about it, but he did hog the screen a bit at times, looking back.

The Cybermen :eek: :eek: :eek: Now they reaaaalllllly frightened me - the Darlicks were a bit frightening, but the Cybermen would make run out the room and watch through the crack in the door! I hated the way that fairy liquid bubbles used to eminate from their bodies when they died. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Tom Baker was the best Dr Who - brilliant Actor! :clap:

As for David Tennant, hmmm, not so sure. I took a disliking to him the series Blackpool - sorry!

Elaine

Stuart M
29th-December-2005, 05:20 PM
Something of a bumper crop of UK sci-fi coming up on the telly next year, if this article in the London Times (http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,14929-1960333,00.html) is anything to go by. And it doesn't mention the Who spinoff series planned for BBC 3, so that'll be another one.

But no revival of Sapphire and Steel, it seems. Oh well. At least Hyperdrive sounds fun.

ducasi
29th-December-2005, 06:04 PM
But no revival of Sapphire and Steel, it seems. Oh well. At least Hyperdrive sounds fun. A return of Sapphire and Steel would be cool, but I'd rather have Crime Traveller back. Loved Chloƫ Annett in it. :drool:

David Bailey
29th-December-2005, 07:24 PM
And it doesn't mention the Who spinoff series planned for BBC 3, so that'll be another one.
"Torchwood", as plugged endlessly in the Dr Who Xmas special.

But no revival of Sapphire and Steel, it seems. Oh well. At least Hyperdrive sounds fun.
I like the sound of Life On Mars, the others all sound very derivative, grump grump...

LMC
29th-December-2005, 07:26 PM
How about Blake's 7 - WITH the dodgy sets please (Paul Darrow as Avon :drool: :drool: :drool: - back then anyway, shame he's old and fat now :tears: )

And does anyone remember Logan's Run - the series?

Piglet
29th-December-2005, 10:21 PM
Yep me does! Quite liked it.

TA Guy
30th-December-2005, 11:46 AM
How about Blake's 7 - WITH the dodgy sets please (Paul Darrow as Avon :drool: :drool: :drool: - back then anyway, shame he's old and fat now :tears: )

Blakes seven had the best finish of any series I've ever seen. I still remember it :) So not how it's done now.

Lynn
30th-December-2005, 11:57 AM
How about Blake's 7 - WITH the dodgy sets please (Paul Darrow as Avon :drool: :drool: :drool: - back then anyway, shame he's old and fat now :tears: ) :yeah: I liked his calm, inscrutable manner. Quote - Dana 'Don't you get fed up being right all the time?', Avon 'No, just with the rest of you being wrong' (or something like that, relying on memory here).

Blakes seven had the best finish of any series I've ever seen. I still remember it :) So not how it's done now.Yep, and who shot who at the end after the screen went blank? (I remember they didn't actually show Avon being shot and AFAIR he still had a gun in his hand...)

Feelingpink
30th-December-2005, 12:04 PM
:yeah: I liked his calm, inscrutable manner. Quote - Dana 'Don't you get fed up being right all the time?', Avon 'No, just with the rest of you being wrong' (or something like that, relying on memory here).
...Oooh, I'd forgotten Avon :drool: His put-downs were fabulous ... perhaps a precursor to Frasier?

ToeTrampler
30th-December-2005, 02:58 PM
How about Blake's 7 - ...
Favourite effect for me was when they used to materialise at least a good six inches to one side of their outlines. :worthy:

Feelingpink
30th-December-2005, 07:14 PM
How about Blake's 7 - WITH the dodgy sets please (Paul Darrow as Avon :drool: :drool: :drool: - back then anyway, shame he's old and fat now :tears: )...Just discovered the following link http://www.avon-paul-darrow.co.uk/merchandise.htm which is supposed to help with your diet - I suspect it might since I'd just burst out laughing every time I went to the fridge with some of these magnets. Perhaps Fletch could use them to help bring back her slimmers on track.

LMC
30th-December-2005, 08:49 PM
:eek: :eek: I'd forgotten how dodgy the hair was :rofl:

He's still :drool: tho'

:blush: goes off to Silly Heart-throbs thread

I suspect more recent (http://www.waveney.demon.co.uk/whoswho/PaulD/paul2f.jpeg) pictures of Paul Darrow would give more incentive to diet though :rolleyes: (oh, and :tears: - it's hard when childhood dreams are shattered)

Dreadful Scathe
28th-December-2006, 09:38 AM
any more votes for David Tennant ? :)

Barry Shnikov
2nd-January-2007, 11:09 AM

Blimey, is this a record for resurrecting a thread?

StokeBloke
2nd-January-2007, 11:38 AM
:eek: :eek: I'd forgotten how dodgy the hair was :rofl:

He's still :drool: tho'

:blush: goes off to Silly Heart-throbs thread

I suspect more recent (http://www.waveney.demon.co.uk/whoswho/PaulD/paul2f.jpeg) pictures of Paul Darrow would give more incentive to diet though :rolleyes: (oh, and :tears: - it's hard when childhood dreams are shattered)
Pete Beale (http://www.waveney.demon.co.uk/whoswho/PaulD/paul2f.jpeg) -or- Paul Darrow (http://www.ghostlands.demon.co.uk/graphics/actors/pdean.jpg)? :D

Lou
2nd-January-2007, 03:51 PM
Pete Beale -or- Paul Darrow? :D
Awright tweakle? :wink:

Many years ago I had the pleasure of watching Paul's one-man version of Hamlet. It was woeful, but very, very amusing.

Green-eyed Monsta
4th-January-2007, 03:55 AM
Tom Baker WAS Doctor Who, but now he's become the voice of Little Britain....but that's okay cos I really wanted to vote for Christopher Eccleston cos he's :drool:

Dreadful Scathe
5th-January-2007, 12:00 PM
what i want to know is - who is old enough to remember william hartnell ;)

David Bailey
5th-January-2007, 12:02 PM
Yes, he is.

under par
5th-January-2007, 12:08 PM

vaguely

Juju
5th-January-2007, 12:47 PM

Well, I voted for him because he's hot :D and, of course, suitably deranged.

Dreadful Scathe
5th-January-2007, 01:18 PM
vaguely
senility ?

under par
5th-January-2007, 02:49 PM
senility ?

I think s.....no I can't remember