PDA

View Full Version : My Computer is Sick

jivecat
24th-December-2005, 09:37 PM
My monitor screen has started to go all weird. The image is flickery at the top and bottom and keeps disappearing into athin horizontal line across the screen. Also when I switched it on a strange message appeared saying it was checking and deleting some files. This is not normal!!
Tell me straight, doctor, is it terminal?

ducasi
24th-December-2005, 09:48 PM
The first thing sound like a failing fly-back transformer on the tube. If it keeps doing it the easiest and cheapest option is to replace it.

The second thing sounds like a virus scanner trying to remove a virus...

Missy D
24th-December-2005, 11:21 PM
I had all this problem with my monitor eventually it went blank. The LED light was still lit but no picture could be seen. I plugged in my old screen and it worked perfectly. Next my scanner stopped working even though the printer worked ok. In the end i had to re install windows and and my service pack 2. Everything since has worked ok.

I do have other problems with my pc whereas the cursor stops or slows down from time to time. Guess there are other problem areas in my computer. Hopefully in the new year i can get a new laptop.

Whitebeard
25th-December-2005, 11:33 PM
I do have other problems with my pc whereas the cursor stops or slows down from time to time.

That might just be a build-up of dirt and fluff on the rollers inside your mouse. You can open it up and scrape the crud away with something like a cocktail stick - I'm sure you'll have some of those lying about in your abode ;-)

Missy D
26th-December-2005, 11:04 AM
That might just be a build-up of dirt and fluff on the rollers inside your mouse. You can open it up and scrape the crud away with something like a cocktail stick - I'm sure you'll have some of those lying about in your abode ;-)

No fluff!! only in a cage in the shape of a hamster! I ran another scan all night and once I deleted the dodgy things everything is fine. Until the next time! New computer needed without copy Windows discs.

jivecat
31st-December-2005, 01:35 PM
The first thing sound like a failing fly-back transformer on the tube. If it keeps doing it the easiest and cheapest option is to replace it.

The second thing sounds like a virus scanner trying to remove a virus...

You were right, Ducasi. Shortly after my desperate plea for help my monitor sadly died, leaving me bereft of internet access for a week. I've now borrowed a tiny, ancient monitor from a friend. Aren't new monitors expensive! It's practically impossible to buy a tube type one any more.

TheTramp
31st-December-2005, 03:46 PM
Heather....

Get off your phones (tried both!!)

There's a 21" normal monitor for sale in Ibstock for £10 on Ebay. Bidding finishes in 8 minutes!!

TheTramp
31st-December-2005, 04:08 PM
Can't reply to your PM Heather....

Your inbox is full! :flower: