PDA

View Full Version : Should Carl Tell Susan?

Will
23rd-December-2005, 07:03 PM
Just watched the Christmas cliff-hanger of Neighbours....

Carl is the doctor of Susan's fiancé and knows that he only has 6 months to live. The fiancé is refusing to tell Susan. Should Carl tell Susan and risk getting struck off or should he respect Doctor / Patient confidentiality even in this case?

WittyBird
23rd-December-2005, 07:06 PM

Carl is the doctor of Susan's fiancé and knows that he only has 6 months to live. The fiancé is refusing to tell Susan. Should Carl tell Susan and risk getting struck off or should he respect Doctor / Patient confidentiality even in this case?

It's a soap, it's not real.
But no you should respect doctor / patient confidentiality at all times no matter how personal it is to you

dee
23rd-December-2005, 07:08 PM
It's a soap, it's not real.
But no you should respect doctor / patient confidentiality at all times no matter how personal it is to you

:yeah: :yeah:

DavidB
23rd-December-2005, 07:11 PM
Is Kylie still in it?

WittyBird
23rd-December-2005, 07:11 PM
Is Kylie still in it?
:worthy: :rofl:

David Franklin
23rd-December-2005, 07:47 PM
Is Kylie still in it?You should be so lucky! I can tell you just can't get her out of your head (it's in your eyes). I feel for you It might be slow, but with the help of a red blooded woman, someday you can kick this obsession - I believe in you.

WittyBird
23rd-December-2005, 07:49 PM
You should be so lucky! I can tell you just can't get her out of your head (it's in your eyes). I feel for you It might be slow, but with the help of a red blooded woman, someday you can kick this obsession - I believe in you.

oh please :rolleyes:

Icey
23rd-December-2005, 07:52 PM
You should be so lucky! I can tell you just can't get her out of your head (it's in your eyes). I feel for you It might be slow, but with the help of a red blooded woman, someday you can kick this obsession - I believe in you.

:rofl: Worthy of rep IMO

Andy McGregor
23rd-December-2005, 08:13 PM

Carl is the doctor of Susan's fiancé and knows that he only has 6 months to live. The fiancé is refusing to tell Susan. Should Carl tell Susan and risk getting struck off or should he respect Doctor / Patient confidentiality even in this case?This is called a dilemma. It's what fuels soaps. That and assumptions and interrupted conversations.

IMHO it's got very little to do with doctor/patient confidentiality. Carl should keep his nose out of it. Susan is his ex-wife, not his current wife. If she were his wife he should hide nothing from her and should expect her to keep everything he told her confidential. However, she wouldn't then be engaged to somebody who has months to live :confused:

When considering these dilemmas we need to consider outcomes of the possible courses of action.

1. Tell

Disciplined by Australian equivalent of GMC. Probably struck off for a year.
Upset a patient.
Upset ex-wife but possibly gain her gratitude by giving her advance warning of inevitable event.
Lose confidence of patients.

2. Don't tell

Ex-wife finds out you knew and didn't warn her. She's a grown up and understands your dilemma.

My answer is "Don't tell".

CJ
23rd-December-2005, 09:05 PM
Am really quite constipated when I think about this issue.

Anyone else?!?

dee
23rd-December-2005, 11:23 PM
Am really quite constipated when I think about this issue.

Anyone else?!?

Just gives me a good enough reason to oil up your bottom young man :innocent:

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-December-2005, 11:41 PM
Just gives me a good enough reason to oil up your bottom young man :innocent:

well thats what I call lowering the tone ! sheesh.

anyway -

Don't tell its up to the individual to tell who they like, once others know its too late to take it back.

LMC
24th-December-2005, 11:29 AM
I think Carl should tell Susan, but on the assumption that patient-doctor confidentiality is paramount, an insurance company would then assume she didn't know, so she could insure her fiance for millions and then cash in in six months time. Of course, if Carl has got his head screwed on right, he should make sure he gets a cut.

I'm hereby copyrighting that idea so none of the Neighbours scriptwriters nick it.

Chicklet
24th-December-2005, 11:37 AM
You're all missing the point, given the high number of Colonials who frequent these hallowed e-halls these days, Susan's probably read it for herself as I'll bet she's a lurker (middle aged woman desparate for a husband, perfect example of an "average" cerocer :devil: ).

So it'll be Will that gets struck off for telling.

Andy McGregor
24th-December-2005, 12:46 PM
(middle aged woman desparate for a husband, perfect example of an "average" cerocer :devil: ).I'm a husband and I never get anyone that young "desperate" for me :tears: