PDA

View Full Version : USA Web hosting

Lou
21st-December-2005, 07:57 PM
Can anyone recommend a decent USA-based web hosting company? I've googled, and things look much of a muchness.

I need someone who'll provide a package including a shopping cart & secure credit card processing. Nothing too flash. :)

It's for a South Caroline-based bulb company, just in case you were interested. (Tulips, not lightbulbs).

ducasi
21st-December-2005, 08:28 PM
I can't recommend a particular provider, but what I would recommend is that you go for one that does a reseller package. That gives you so much greater scope for other things...

On your specific requirements...

Some hosting companies provide a package called "fantastico", which includes all the cgi & php goodness you'd ever want, including three different e-commerce options.

I'd out-source the credit card stuff to someone like worldpay, which is supported by quite a few of the popular e-commerce systems.

Let me know if you find somewhere good... :flower:

Lou
21st-December-2005, 09:53 PM
Some hosting companies provide a package called "fantastico", which includes all the cgi & php goodness you'd ever want, including three different e-commerce options.

Oooh! That looks cute. :D I think I need to get Jon to add it to my normal hosting... :flower:

Clive Long
22nd-December-2005, 01:07 PM
I can't recommend a particular provider, but what I would recommend is that you go for one that does a reseller package. That gives you so much greater scope for other things...

On your specific requirements...

I'd out-source the credit card stuff to someone like worldpay, which is supported by quite a few of the popular e-commerce systems.

Let me know if you find somewhere good... :flower:

Hi Ducasi,

is there a hosting solution that allows me to select a range of applicaitons I want to run? I am thinking of:

Picture Album management - a bit like Flikr
Blogging
FTP for large file transfer
Web site authoring tools
Simple content upload and management

and has a Web management interface that makes the hardware and OS platform "invisible"?

Thanks

Clive

ducasi
22nd-December-2005, 10:34 PM
Hi Ducasi,

is there a hosting solution that allows me to select a range of applicaitons I want to run? I am thinking of:

Picture Album management - a bit like Flikr
Blogging
FTP for large file transfer
Web site authoring tools
Simple content upload and management

and has a Web management interface that makes the hardware and OS platform "invisible"?

Thanks

Clive Hi Clive,

Most hosting companies use "cPanel" as the web management interface. I personally think it is awful, but probably the best there is. It pretty much makes the hardware and OS invisible.

As I mentioned above, the "Fantastico De Lux" package then add loads more applications which you can install at the touch of a button. This combined with the more limited range of applications that cPanel offers would easily meet all your requirements.

There's loads of providers that offer this combination. I''m not in a position to make a recommendation. (At least, not yet – maybe if I ever find one that I like myself...)

You might want to start here (http://netenberg.com/partners.php)... Wouldn't have thought this is anywhere near an exhaustive list though...

Clive Long
24th-December-2005, 12:56 PM
Hi Clive,

As I mentioned above, the "Fantastico De Lux" package then add loads more applications which you can install at the touch of a button. This combined with the more limited range of applications that cPanel offers would easily meet all your requirements.
<< snip >>
Looks good.

I just entered "Fantastico De Lux" under google and the couple of hosters seemed to offer the range of applications that are relevant to me.

I will let you know how I get on with the selection.

Clive