PDA

View Full Version : Pay rise

stewart38
21st-December-2005, 10:32 AM
First question what’s the current rate of inflation ? or the RPI for the last 12 months ?

Second question what’s the best way of negotiating a pay rise

Diplomacy or aggression ?

LMC
21st-December-2005, 10:34 AM
Inflation: Check out http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/ - if you click on the inflation reports then I think you get all sorts of different measures of inflation.

In asking for a pay rise, I would start with diplomacy and why I deserve a pay rise.

WittyBird
21st-December-2005, 10:45 AM
First question what’s the current rate of inflation ? or the RPI for the last 12 months ?

have all your facts ready about how much it would cost to replace you etc.
but dont you get paid for surfing forums and chatting women up anyway?

stewart38
21st-December-2005, 10:55 AM
have all your facts ready about how much it would cost to replace you etc.
but dont you get paid for surfing forums and chatting women up anyway?

Yes must admit this makes it harder as I spend 70% of my time not working

Perhaps head down next year and work 50% of time ??

I moved jobs and got a 29% pay rise 2 yrs ago this yr its 2% maybe i should just accept it and work and carry on with my internet idea:sad:

LordOfTheFiles
21st-December-2005, 11:03 AM
I moved jobs and got a 29% pay rise 2 yrs ago this yr its 2% maybe i should just accept it and work and carry on with my internet idea:sad:

If you can quit and be fairly confident you can move to a job with a higher pay, then just tell them what they would have to do to make you stay. If you don't think that another company would pay you more then you can't realistically push your present employer into paying you more than they want.

So tell me punk: Do you feel undervalued compared to the current market??

LMC
21st-December-2005, 11:04 AM
If I was only getting inflation, I would want to know what everyone else was getting - or the average payrise. If everyone is only getting inflation, then there's probably not a lot you can do about it.

If performance-related payrises are in operation, then it seems that managers usually get given a budget of, say, 5% for payrises across the board - including inflation - some people will get more than 5% to keep them happy (and hopefully not resign) because they've performed well, and these above average payrises are obviously funded by only giving other people inflation payrises with no performance element.

You'll always get a better payrise changing jobs or getting a promotion than within the same job. The biggest payrise I've ever had in the same job was 9% more than inflation - 10.8% in total. As the 'budget' was 5% I was pretty happy with that...

under par
21st-December-2005, 11:43 AM
snip

Being the best and irreplaceable helps!:D

LordOfTheFiles
21st-December-2005, 11:48 AM
Being the best and irreplaceable helps!:D

I find that digging the dirt on your manager helps. Or finding accounting irregularities and blackmailing he company. Anything but work hard

Dreadful Scathe
21st-December-2005, 02:06 PM
Or do a 'Fight Club' , beat yourself up in his office so that he never wants you ever come in again but will still pay you because you are clearly a nutter.

WittyBird
21st-December-2005, 02:07 PM
Or do a 'Fight Club' , beat yourself up in his office so that he never wants you ever come in again but will still pay you because you are clearly a nutter.

can always rely on you for constructive advice :what:

LordOfTheFiles
21st-December-2005, 02:43 PM
can always rely on you for constructive advice :what:

What part of that wasn't constructive?? It worked in Fight Club for heaven's sake. Seems fool proof to me

stewart38
21st-December-2005, 03:26 PM
For me its the principal

lets assume inflation is 2.5%. I dont expect a pay rise above inflation for reasons already stated

Ive got 2% so basically was could in real terms be talking about a pay cut :sad:

They found it very hard to recruit someone similar to me (they join in Jan) and paid £10,000 in recruitment costs

so i could say if you dont give me 0.5% extra i wont be happy

I better check with HR what is 'standard' payrise, my manager is in Lapland so could do this Now !

LordOfTheFiles
21st-December-2005, 03:30 PM
For me its the principal

so i could say if you dont give me 0.5% extra i wont be happy

The way I figure this is unless you are being paid a huge amount of money, 0.5% is really not worth getting arsey over. And if you are paid a huge amount of money, well then it really doesn't matter. I would appreciate it if we were talking 5% here, but to get into an issue over 0.5% could be counter productive

stewart38
21st-December-2005, 03:40 PM
The way I figure this is unless you are being paid a huge amount of money, 0.5% is really not worth getting arsey over. And if you are paid a huge amount of money, well then it really doesn't matter. I would appreciate it if we were talking 5% here, but to get into an issue over 0.5% could be counter productive

But thats why i get paid a lot i do get arsey

so as manager is in lapland i sent him an e-mail

I assume the 2% pay rise was due to my performance at this years appraisal ?
Given inflation is cira 2.5% that would imply a pay cut ?
Perhaps we can clarify on your return
People have been talking about a 2.5% - 3.5% inflationary increase

he could say well you spend 80% of your time on the internet so here is your P60 :sad:

I better go do some work :blush:

regards

Stewart

David Franklin
21st-December-2005, 05:57 PM
I heard the story of a Microsoft developer, who, when dissatisfied with his annual review, left a note on his desk saying "I will be away for the next 3 days interviewing in Silicon Valley". When he returned, there was a new, significantly improved offer on his desk.

Needless to say, don't try this trick unless you really are indispensible!

[Slightly more seriously - even if you are indispensible, if you play the "give me lots of money or I'll leave" card, although many employers will give in in the short-term, it's likely that their their medium term goal will be to make sure you become dispensible, and their long term goal to dispose of you...]

Missy D
21st-December-2005, 06:05 PM
Pay rise:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I would be lucky to get Christmas off!

I work 8 hours a day and dont even get a lunch break! Holiday pay? NO. Company car? NO I have to use my own and get 40p a mile. Contract er NO. So what are standard rights of employment? Anyone know?

Should I have a contract?
How many hours before a break?
If i had a company car would i be in the higher tax band?
How much holiday pay should I get?
Should i have to make up time when i have to go to dentist etc?

I have worked for this company for 10 years now and run most of it myself.

Looking at the above reckon i might need a new job!

Minnie M
21st-December-2005, 06:25 PM
Pay rise:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I would be lucky to get Christmas off!

I work 8 hours a day and dont even get a lunch break! Holiday pay? NO. Company car? NO I have to use my own and get 40p a mile. Contract er NO. So what are standard rights of employment? Anyone know?
..................!
:yeah: And....I work 25 hours a day, ride a bike to work, have to sit on the bosses (knee cors I don't have chair) and I eat spam from breakfast dinner and tea :rolleyes: (kosher spam cors I work in a Synagogue)

David Bailey
21st-December-2005, 10:53 PM

Put yourself in your bosses feet, so to speak.

Most companies will have a range for a particular year (say, 2-5%), and most bosses will then have discretion as to where in that range they award the rise for each minion.

Generally, a boss should have a good idea of the person's performance - so boss will have pretty much decided before any review, and "appeals" may not work. 2% does sound stingy, though...