PDA

View Full Version : phrase searching

robd
20th-December-2005, 10:07 PM
Anyone know how to search for phrases on the forum rather than just keywords? Is it even possible? The usual wrapping in " doesn't seem to work though I could be mistaken.

Robert

ducasi
21st-December-2005, 12:35 AM
vBulletin search really seems to suck. :sad:

When I want to search for a phase I use google with a search string like this:

site:www.cerocscotland.com "fuzzy bunnies" (http://www.google.com/search?q=site:www.cerocscotland.com+%22fuzzy+bunni es%22)

You'll often get multiple hits for each occurrence, but the value of it actually working makes it worth the trouble to have to dig through the results a little.

Obviously it doesn't work for very recent posts that Google has not yet indexed.

under par
21st-December-2005, 03:51 AM

site:www.cerocscotland.com "fuzzy bunnies" (http://www.google.com/search?q=site:www.cerocscotland.com+%22fuzzy+bunni es%22)

You'll often get multiple hits for each occurrence, but the value of it actually working makes it worth the trouble to have to dig through the results a little.

Obviously it doesn't work for very recent posts that Google has not yet indexed.

Shame the vBulletin search is so bad........ but your google search is very helpful. +rep on the way

robd
1st-January-2006, 03:48 PM
Thanks Ducasi - a shame we have to go round the houses to phrase search, so to speak, but at least it's possible.

Robert

El Salsero Gringo
1st-January-2006, 05:50 PM

site:www.cerocscotland.com "fuzzy bunnies" (http://www.google.com/search?q=site:www.cerocscotland.com+%22fuzzy+bunni es%22) You'll often get multiple hits for each occurrence, but the value of it actually working makes it worth the trouble to have to dig through the results a little.

Obviously it doesn't work for very recent posts that Google has not yet indexed....unfortunately that won't search through the forums that are open only to registered users, as far as I can tell.

ducasi
1st-January-2006, 05:56 PM
...unfortunately that won't search through the forums that are open only to registered users, as far as I can tell.
Indeed, I hadn't originally considered that, but realised it during some recent "upstairs" discussions.

Still beats vBulletin's search though.

El Salsero Gringo
1st-January-2006, 06:06 PM
Still beats vBulletin's search though.Even inhaling cod and large chips through your left nostril is a more rewarding experience than using vBulletin's search engine.

ducasi
1st-January-2006, 06:13 PM
Even inhaling cod and large chips through your left nostril is a more rewarding experience than using vBulletin's search engine.
With or without salt and vinegar? :wink:

(In Edinburgh, that'll be salt and sauce.)

Tiggerbabe
1st-January-2006, 06:22 PM
(In Edinburgh, that'll be salt and sauce.)
yeah, how weird is that? :rofl: