PDA

View Full Version : Yes Man

WittyBird
16th-December-2005, 01:46 PM
Has anyone read YES MAN by Danny Wallace?

Here is a brief synopsis taken from another site.

Synopsis
'I, Danny Wallace, being of sound mind and body, do hereby write this manifesto for my life. I swear I will be more open to opportunity. I swear I will live my life taking every available chance. I will say Yes to every favour, request, suggestion and invitation. I Will Swear To Say Yes Where Once I Would Say No.' Danny Wallace had been staying in. Far too much. Having been dumped by his girlfriend, he really wasn't doing the young, free and single thing very well. Instead he was avoiding people. Texting them Instead of calling them. Calling them Instead of meeting them. That is until that one fateful date when a mystery man on a late-night bus told him to 'Say Yes more'. These three simple words changed Danny's life forever. Yes Man is the story of what happened when Danny decided to say Yes to everything, in order to make his life more interesting. And boy, did it get more interesting.

Just wondered peoples views on this? Any stories to share?

Cruella
4th-September-2006, 06:34 PM
Ask me in a few weeks! :whistle:

Beowulf
4th-September-2006, 06:37 PM
to risk sounding facetious

YES

I though it was very good. I preferred his "JOIN ME" though.. and I keep a copy of "random acts of Kindness" in my rucksack.. for inspiration.

Page 60 - Make Someone feel important

You know witty.. this is a Great thread ;)

WittyBird
4th-September-2006, 06:45 PM
Played it Saturday :D
Hence we turned up at Berko absolutely Blathered :rofl:

Next time you go out ask for a screaming vimto :rofl:

Clive Long
4th-September-2006, 06:46 PM
Hence we turned up at Berko absolutely Blathered :rofl:

You don't say :rolleyes:

WittyBird
4th-September-2006, 06:48 PM

Where you there? :rofl:

Daisy Chain
4th-September-2006, 08:14 PM
Danny Wallace, I know him. He lives in Lovely. That country with the catchy National Anthem.

Daisy

(A Lovely Citizen)

Beowulf
4th-September-2006, 08:16 PM
Danny Wallacem I know him. He lives in Lovely. That country with the catchy National Anthem.

Daisy

(A Lovely Citizen)

Have you "Joined Him" too?

Beo

(a happy joined up Geek)

Daisy Chain
4th-September-2006, 08:19 PM
Have you "Joined Him" too?

Beo

(a happy joined up Geek)

Well, his manifesto was irresistable :rofl:

Tazmanian Devil
4th-September-2006, 09:58 PM
Played it Saturday :D

:innocent: I am an innocent sole honest :innocent:

WittyBird
4th-September-2006, 10:01 PM

Sure you are :D

You my Beatch so do as you're told :D

Tazmanian Devil
4th-September-2006, 10:12 PM
Sure you are :D

You my Beatch so do as you're told :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PretzelMeister
5th-September-2006, 12:21 PM
Has anyone read YES MAN by Danny Wallace?

Not yet - but sounds as if is along similar lines toThe Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart (http://www.jour.city.ac.uk/books/documents/reviews/thediceman.htm) which was both entertaining and thought-provoking.......

PM

Dreamer
5th-September-2006, 12:45 PM
Not yet - but sounds as if is along similar lines toThe Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart (http://www.jour.city.ac.uk/books/documents/reviews/thediceman.htm) which was both entertaining and thought-provoking.......

PM

Yes, in fact I think it refers to it, but in some ways it's better because it's true (-ish), doesn't involve murder and doesn't have a really disappointing sequel (http://www.lukerhinehart.net/SearchForDM.html)

Beowulf
5th-September-2006, 12:48 PM

PM

yeah, that was a good book. Did you ever catch any of the documentary series about it?

I read that , and liked the idea but turning my life over to random chance didn't seem like I was gaining much. The yes man is slightly different in that People rarely ask you to do things too far out of character.

IIRC the Dice Man had to have one thing he didn't really want to do on his list of 6 options.

of course, The Dice man was pure fiction. Luke Rhinehart was a character in the novel actually by George Cockcroft. It was written in a pseudo documentary style and may have been based on reality but wasn't an honest account of events.

I mean, there are accounts of murder and rape etc contained within it's covers. it was an interesting and thought provoking subject. but in the real life not overly practical. ("What's that ? you want me to do xxxxxx? one sec while I roll this here dice..")

Yes man however, is very practical. Someone asks "Do you want to..." and you say "Yes" and worry about it afterwards :) (I do still say no sometimes :wink:)

Barry Shnikov
5th-September-2006, 01:07 PM

This probably isn't the plaice to talk about it, but the jokes based on this typo are just too numerous. I nearly had an embolism trying to stop thinking of them.

Beowulf
5th-September-2006, 01:18 PM
This probably isn't the plaice to talk about it, but the jokes based on this typo are just too numerous. I nearly had an embolism trying to stop thinking of them.

Yes there's something fishy about her typo... ;)

Cod help us if this continues

stewart38
5th-September-2006, 01:35 PM

wonder if anyone else noticed :rofl:

ps I text too much :sad: