PDA

View Full Version : Mince Pies?

Sparkles
16th-December-2005, 12:43 PM
Personally I can't stand them - but maybe I'm in the minority?

TiggsTours
16th-December-2005, 12:46 PM
I used to feel the same, then suddenly, about 3 years ago, I developed a taste for them, now I can't get enough!

KatieR
16th-December-2005, 12:49 PM
Personally I can't stand them - but maybe I'm in the minority?

Theyre horrid... especially with peel in them.. anything with peel in should be banished.

wicked blue
16th-December-2005, 12:53 PM
Don't like mince pies, and they don't like me due to several food intolerances (wheat and sugar) so this year i decided to be creative and make my own...wheat free, sugar free, mince free mincepies!! And i have to say they were surprisingly good!!

Sparkles
16th-December-2005, 01:03 PM
So what's actually in them?

Cruella
16th-December-2005, 01:05 PM
Love mince pies, hate christmas pudding!:sick:

Rhythm King
16th-December-2005, 01:05 PM
They're yummy, especially served hot, with rum butter and cream :drool: . Of course then you have to break them before eating, so that the extra calories fall out and are left in the bowl :rolleyes: .

R-K x

stewart38
16th-December-2005, 01:09 PM

Love both

How fatting are mince pies

You seem to get 48 for a £1 ok an exaggeration but im not wanting to gain all the weight ive lost :sad:

Gadget
16th-December-2005, 01:16 PM
Eugh - I also dislike anything with dried fruit in; especially rasins and sultanas... what a waste of a perfectly good grape.

Rhythm King
16th-December-2005, 01:19 PM
Love both

You seem to get 48 for a £1 ok an exaggeration but im not wanting to gain all the weight ive lost :sad:

Hmm, fancied one with coffee yesterday - £1.20 each in Starbucks, or £1.50 for two boxes from Tescos (12.5p each). Needless to say, we had a mince pie frenzy in the office.

TiggsTours
16th-December-2005, 01:20 PM
Mincemeat, which is, of course, dried soaked fruit (not sure what its soaked in) cooked to death with loads of sugar, and other stuff probably, and totally vegetarian! :confused:

Theyre horrid... especially with peel in them.. anything with peel in should be banished.
Agree with that, definately no peel, uuugh!!! Same goes for zest, why ruin a perfectly good pudding with the bits of fruit that normal people throw away?

Cruella
16th-December-2005, 01:22 PM
Love both

They are very fattening! But thats what christmas is about, having to loosen the belt a notch and then making the new years resolution to lose weight. Isn't it? Do enough dancing to counter balance the extra calories and you'll be fine.:D

Rhythm King
16th-December-2005, 01:27 PM
Mincemeat, which is, of course, dried soaked fruit (not sure what its soaked in) cooked to death with loads of sugar, and other stuff probably, and totally vegetarian! :confused:

Not got the Eagle Vision turned on today? I think the Sparkly Queen of Baking knows what goes into a standard mince pie, she was referring to Wicked Blue's non-allergenic sugar, wheat and mince free variety.

R-K :hug:

Sheepman
16th-December-2005, 01:34 PM
anything with peel in should be banished.Didn't your Mum tell you that the peel is good for you?
Of course I'd much rather have a nice light lemon cake, with zest in the icing, but I have acquired the taste for Christmassy fruity things over the years, they all taste much better when served with a HUGE BOWL OF ICE CREAM! :drool:
Failing that, drowning in alcohol helps.

Greg

KatieR
16th-December-2005, 01:40 PM
Didn't your Mum tell you that the peel is good for you?
Greg
It just has the most disgusting taste, bitter and horrible and it permeates through everything, even if you do pick it out, you can still taste it.. blecch!! :eek:

TiggsTours
16th-December-2005, 01:53 PM
Not got the Eagle Vision turned on today? I think the Sparkly Queen of Baking knows what goes into a standard mince pie, she was referring to Wicked Blue's non-allergenic sugar, wheat and mince free variety.

R-K :hug:
Oh right, what can I say, its nearly the end of a very long week!

TiggsTours
16th-December-2005, 01:54 PM
Didn't your Mum tell you that the peel is good for you?

Its no better than the fruit, and that tastes much nicer! :drool:

Sparkles
16th-December-2005, 02:00 PM
Oh right, what can I say, its nearly the end of a very long week!
Don't worry :hug:, it's been a long week for all of us.
(but I would be interested in Wicked Blue's recipe :drool: ).

Icey
16th-December-2005, 02:14 PM
I'm not very keen on bought mince pies as I find them very sweet, but my mums home made ones :drool: :drool: My dad and I will actually fight over them :D

senorita
16th-December-2005, 02:18 PM

Love both!! :drool:

There was a great reciepe on channel 3 this morning at 7am for xmas pud...

melt a couple of bars of white chocolate into a boil, then pour half a pot of double cream and a little brandy, stir in until it becomes a thick condence sauce. Pour sauce into ice cube plastic tub, then freeze until solid. When done, put the white chocolate cream cubes into the middle of the xmas pud. cook xmas pud. serve hot/warm with a little brandy sauce to pur ontop. (when you slice/cut open the pudding :drool: all this yummy creamy white chocolate sauce dribbles out.:drool:

Dizzy
16th-December-2005, 02:24 PM

Very fattening - They tend to be between 200-250 calories each :eek:

That is the same as a standard Mars bar or 4 apples :what: :flower:

KatieR
16th-December-2005, 02:29 PM
My grandmother has always made a kind of biscuit called a (close your ears LM .... ) Stuffed Monkey.

Its like a ginger shortbread biscuit that is filled with a kind of fruit mince but isnt sickly sweet and has nuts in it and no peel! They are just fabulous.. :drool:

Dizzy
16th-December-2005, 02:32 PM
My grandmother has always made a kind of biscuit called a (close your ears LM .... ) Stuffed Monkey.

Its like a ginger shortbread biscuit that is filled with a kind of fruit mince but isnt sickly sweet and has nuts in it and no peel! They are just fabulous.. :drool:

Ohhh, they sound lovely :drool: :drool:

You will have to give me the recipe for those Katie :flower:

KatieR
16th-December-2005, 02:34 PM
Ohhh, they sound lovely :drool: :drool:

You will have to give me the recipe for those Katie :flower:

Its apparently a secret family recipe.. even I dont have it!!:mad:

dee
16th-December-2005, 02:35 PM
Love both

I love them, i make my own every year :drool: I usually make my own chrismas cake but this year seems to have flown by, seems like i was just stepping off the plane from my summer hols when i was told it christmas in a few weeks :eek: so will have to buy one from a shop :sick:

Msfab
16th-December-2005, 02:52 PM
Don't like mince pies, and they don't like me due to several food intolerances (wheat and sugar) so this year i decided to be creative and make my own...wheat free, sugar free, mince free mincepies!! And i have to say they were surprisingly good!!

:yeah: Much Much Much nicer than the normal yukkie mince pies! :drool:

Cant remember what Wicked Blue said the cases was made out of, but inside was a yummy mixture containing dates.

Lory
16th-December-2005, 03:00 PM
I don't like them, theyre far too rich and sickly (like white chocolate :sick: ) but I know a man who love's em and EVEN eats them when it's NOT Christmas :eek:

mooncalf
16th-December-2005, 03:17 PM
:yeah: Much Much Much nicer than the normal yukkie mince pies! :drool:

Cant remember what Wicked Blue said the cases was made out of, but inside was a yummy mixture containing dates.

Hmm compared to the rest of the stuff she eats they were surprisingly tasty - but what were those chocolate sweet things she made - now they were nice - I've got my new years supply ordered.

Msfab
16th-December-2005, 04:25 PM
Hmm compared to the rest of the stuff she eats they were surprisingly tasty - but what were those chocolate sweet things she made - now they were nice - I've got my new years supply ordered.

I didnt think they were anything like chocolate - They were Dates!

mooncalf
16th-December-2005, 04:27 PM
I didnt think they were anything like chocolate - They were Dates!

Yes dates - but something else - was it not that evil chocolate stuff - or am I thinking of the mousse and they were nice.

Msfab
16th-December-2005, 04:30 PM
Yes dates - but something else - was it not that evil chocolate stuff - or am I thinking of the mousse and they were nice.

Carob, the yukkie alternative to chocolate!

You really cant beat the real thing!:whistle:

Stuart
16th-December-2005, 06:09 PM
My brother decided to last year to have a go at making Mince Pies using an old Tudor recipe that actually included meat in the recipe. They were a bit unusual to say the least!

I picked up a Jamie Oliver card in Sainsburys the other day which suggests crumbling them over vanilla ice cream. I might try that this weekend.

wicked blue
18th-December-2005, 11:45 AM
Carob, the yukkie alternative to chocolate!

You really cant beat the real thing!:whistle:

Carob is an acquired taste!! And a good taste they are too!! MsFab you just need to try abit more of it!! :wink:

Ok sparkles and for anyone else thats interested (or can be bothered!) in making wheat free, sugar free, mince free mince pies!!....

I have to admit that i don't follow a recipe and i'm all for just bunging stuff in!! So no measurements i'm afraid!!

Filling:
Desert apples, dates, ground almonds, either sesame seeds or ground up sunflower seeds, ginger, mixed spice, zest of orange, splash of lemon juice and last but not least brandy!!

Pastry;
Done as normal but with wheat free flour.

There we have it!! Happy baking!! :cheers:

wicked blue
18th-December-2005, 11:46 AM

Would that be a bit of a back handed compliment mooncalf!!! :what:

New year supply ordered..we'll have to see about that!!

Zuhal
18th-December-2005, 01:29 PM
I thought this thread would be about how the addition of Mince Pies to a Dance Night qualifies the double price entry fee.

They sit in the corner and look like the perfect material to dust like chalk over the sticky dance floor but then it transpires that they contain so much sugar that it makes everything more sticky. YUK.

Place I went last night had their standard entry fee and the option of Humbugs. Brill:waycool:

Zuhal