PDA

View Full Version : Wot is Kiwi style ?

kiwichook
15th-December-2005, 07:42 PM
I see that there is a post on "What is Australian style" ..
I would love to know what you jokers think "What is Kiwi Style" is?

DavidB
15th-December-2005, 07:46 PM
I would love to know what you jokers think "What is Kiwi Style" is?Playing the best rugby in the world 3 years out of every 4.

kiwichook
15th-December-2005, 08:50 PM
Hmmm why did I think that it would quickly digress to "that topic", which is hardly surprisingly really. :wink: We do at least have one Top Ex All Black who can dance and took the public by storm! Mr Norm Hewitt. He took out our version of "Dancing with the Stars". Just magic to watch!! Not sure if you have a Lion or even an Aussie battler who could match or claim somesort of small fame on the dancing front ???

Maybe there is still hope for us 'kai wai's' yet?

Stuart
15th-December-2005, 08:53 PM
Hmmm why did I think that it would quickly digress to "that topic", which is hardly surprisingly really. :wink: We do at least have one Top Ex All Black who can dance and took the public by storm! Mr Norm Hewitt. He took out our version of "Dancing with the Stars". Just magic to watch!! Not sure if you have a Lion or even an Aussie battler who could match or claim somesort of small fame on the dancing front ???

Maybe there is still hope for us 'kai wai's' yet?

Martin Offiah, ex GB RL winger, was in the first series of SCD over here.

kiwichook
15th-December-2005, 09:01 PM
Excellent stuff.. love it, bring it on .. :)

Andreas
15th-December-2005, 11:59 PM
Depends on the area you are in. My points of view are about 18 months old, only Auckland and Hamilton are more recent, as in May 2005.

Northland, Hamilton, Rotorua, Plymouth:
Relatively bouncy style. Peopple have a lot of fun and obviously also a lot of energy to burn. :D Usually the dancers don't focus too much on difficult moves, though they do like their drops every now and again.

Auckland:
Smoother style in many cases, still some bouncy dancers, plenty of difficult moves. Musicality is receiving increasing attention, which is good. There was a strong tendency for a few years to drop at all cost. Drops are still hugely popular in Auckland but dancers have become more considerate.

Tauranga (will now change with new owner):
Relatively smooth, heaps of very complicated moves, plenty of aerials, most likely the most challenging classes in NZ. This, however, also was the undoing of the franchise as the punters were unreasonably challenged beyond their abilities.

Wellington (prior to Adam):
Bouncy style, people had a lot of fun dancing, very much focussed on social aspects. While the general level in classes was not too high, I was surprised at the level of advanced class routine, which did not actually take into account what the punters were capable of, when I was there.

Haven't been to the other franchises, Christchurch was attempted but they had wrong class times on the site 20 months ago.

------------------------

Generally speaking, NZ style is flamboyant but not quite as much as in OZ, it is not quite as precise as in OZ and not quite as musical as in the UK but more than OZ. My impression was that NZ dancers are admiring OZ dancers way too much to actually develop their own style. There is very little drive to go ones own way. Admittedly, it is not easy if you look at the competitions on both sides of the ditch. Though, NZ dancers have the potential to actually develop something that is their own. But at this point in time they are trying to catch up on somebody else's style. One way of doing it, in my opinion, is to work on basic technique first and THEN look at style, as opposed to the other way around, which is what currently happens. :wink:

Nonetheless, I did enjoy dancing in NZ heaps and do so everytime I get back.

kiwichook
16th-December-2005, 04:04 AM
Northland, Hamilton, Rotorua, NEW Plymouth:
Relatively bouncy style. Peopple have a lot of fun and obviously also a lot of energy to burn. Usually the dancers don't focus too much on difficult moves, though they do like their drops every now and again

:yeah: is bang on correct :rofl: Thanks for replying - I really enjoyed reading your comments - honest!

CJ
16th-December-2005, 06:29 PM
My points of view are about 18 months old,

So, you'll be years ahead of New Zealand then!!! Apparently, the Beatles are releasing a new LP over there this winter...:D

Andreas
16th-December-2005, 06:30 PM
So, you'll be years ahead of New Zealand then!!! Apparently, the Beatles are releasing a new LP over there this winter...:D
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: cheeky sod :yum:

kiwichook
16th-December-2005, 11:45 PM
Whose the Beatles ..?:wink:

Andreas
19th-December-2005, 09:50 PM
Little insects, most of them play banjo :waycool: