PDA

View Full Version : Advertising Spam...again!

Dreadful Scathe
15th-December-2005, 01:02 AM
Just got a very annoying email from Ski and Rock. The annoying thing about it is it proclaims to be a warning about a mobile phone virus. Its easily checkable as a well known hoax. Its unsolicited and nothing to do with Ski and Rock but still contains Dance Action Holidays, The Ski & Rock Co. just in case i forgot about them and need this dubious reminder. I wouldnt thank Amazon.com for sending emails that were nothing to do with products they offer so why should I accept it from Ski and Rock when I have never even bought anything from them? Read on and tell me if Im being to harsh in my reply to this email below.

> Hi all
> I received this email about a mobile phone scam. I think
> it is important you should be aware of it.
>
> Regards Peter Kershaw
> Dance Action Holidays, The Ski & Rock Co.
>
> If you receive a phone call on your mobile from any person
> , saying that, he or she is a company engineer, or telling
> that they're checking your mobile line, and you have to
> press # 90 or #09 or any other number. End this call
> immediately without pressing any numbers. There is a fraud
> company using a device that once you press #90 or #09 they
> can access your "SIM" card and make calls at your expense.
> Forward this message to as many friends as you can, to
> stop it. All mobile users pay attention if you receive a
> phone call and your mobile phone displays (XALAN) on the
> screen don't answer the call, END THE CALL IMMEDIATELY, if
> you answer the call, your phone will be infected by a
> virus. This virus will erase all IMEI and IMSI information
> from both your phone and your SIM card, which will make
> your phone unable to connect with the telephone network.
> You will have to buy a new phone.
>
> This information has been confirmed by both Motorola and
> Nokia. There are over 3 Million mobile phones being
> infected by this virus in all around the world now. You
> can also check this news in the CNN web site.
>
> PLEASE FORWARD THIS PIECE OF INFORMATION TO ALL YOUR
> FRIENDS HAVING A MOBILE

This was my reply - including the link giving information about this hoax which i got by simply typing XALAN into google.

Its pretty bad form to spread stupid virus hoaxes to people in an attempt to continually advertise your holidays. I am NOT impressed. Please STOP sending me emails.

Read link below for EASILY FINDABLE INFO on this hoax.
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/mobile-phone-virus-hoax.html

So was that harsh, or do other people think its ok for companies to send you
unsolicited emails that have nothing to do with what the company actually sells when that information is wrong, alarming and a hoax presented as fact?

or is it just me ? :)

ducasi
15th-December-2005, 01:06 AM
I'd guess that they thought they were being helpful... There's a lot of misguided people in the world.

But they shouldn't have sent it – there are no excuses.

Ski & Rock
15th-December-2005, 11:48 AM
I received the mobile warning from someone I trusted, as a thoughtful and trustworthy source.
Unfortunately on this occasion he let me down, and I passed on the information.

I apologise to all those who received this information. I sent it as a genuine concerned that it could spoil their Christmas.

As a result, only dance & holiday information will now be sent out by Ski & Rock.

Not spam just genuine information for those who have heard about my very successful holidays and wish to be updated on the latest holiday information.

Regards Peter

CJ
15th-December-2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks, Peter.

Can you take me off your list now, please?

Dreadful Scathe
16th-December-2005, 12:34 PM
Good of you to reply Peter. Personally I just wish people would take at least a second glance at the many hoax emails that circulate - I once caught a collegue typing her details on a website she got from an email that said it was from yahoo - she only stopped when it asked for her bank card pin number. I despair, i really do :) But I know that some people do take such things at face value.

philsmove
16th-December-2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the update Peter

I sometimes get 20 spam s a day so did not worry about yours

Don’t take me off your mailing list

I really enjoyed the last holiday with you and look forward to the next

JonD
16th-December-2005, 01:08 PM
I really enjoyed the last holiday with you and look forward to the next
Are you going to Morzine? Only 6 weeks 1 day to wait. Mind you, I'm likely to expire on an Alpine slope from the insane combination of skiing and dancing!

Dreadful Scathe
16th-December-2005, 01:18 PM
how do you dance on skis ? :)

Gadget
16th-December-2005, 01:21 PM
carefully?

JonD
16th-December-2005, 01:31 PM
It'll be that bloody rotating pretzel that gets me.

philsmove
16th-December-2005, 03:50 PM
Are you going to Morzine? Only 6 weeks 1 day to wait. Mind you, I'm likely to expire on an Alpine slope from the insane combination of skiing and dancing!

Yes for two weeks:clap:

I’m trying to persuade Peter to put some Argentinean Tango during the second week

Also trying to decided whether to but new ski here or wait till I get out there

JonD
16th-December-2005, 04:20 PM
Excellent! Julie and I are there for 2 weeks as well. My Salsa is truly terrible (Julie's is horribly good) so some AT in the second week sounds great.

I rent skis - can't bear the thought of lugging them backwards and forwards. I need some new boots though and am going to buy those in Morzine.

See you there!

Gojive
16th-December-2005, 05:35 PM
how do you dance on skis ? :)

I'd use the shoulder slide repeater :) ...but then I'm just a beginner :D

El Salsero Gringo
17th-December-2005, 09:37 PM
As a result, only dance & holiday information will now be sent out by Ski & Rock.

Not spam just genuine information for those who have heard about my very successful holidays and wish to be updated on the latest holiday information.

Regards PeterSay, holidays are they? Dance and Ski? Very successful? Gosh. Sorry, I didn't get that, I think you should repeat the message again...

David Bailey
17th-December-2005, 09:57 PM
Say, holidays are they? Dance and Ski? Very successful? Gosh. Sorry, I didn't get that, I think you should repeat the message again...
:rofl:

No, they're Ski and Rock. So how do you ski on rock then? :confused:

El Salsero Gringo
17th-December-2005, 10:22 PM
:rofl:

No, they're Ski and Rock. So how do you ski on rock then? :confused:I prefer Snow and Rock - great chain of sports shops. Hire roller blades if you like, too.

Minnie M
17th-December-2005, 11:19 PM
Bet Ski & Rock are really chuffed for this extre PR you are giving them :whistle:

philsmove
17th-December-2005, 11:45 PM
Bet Ski & Rock are really chuffed for this extre PR you are giving them :whistle:

:yeah:

Ski and Rock

And

Snow and Rock

Are two of my favourite companies :clap: