PDA

View Full Version : Water or Coke?

Cruella
13th-December-2005, 09:15 AM
This is why i don't drink Coke :eek:
Although how much evidence or truth there is behind the statements, i don't know.
WATER OR COKE?

WATER
1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. 2. In 37% of Americans, the
thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.

4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100%
of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.

5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could
significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory,trouble
with basic maths, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by
45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

And now for the properties of COKE (or Pepsi):

1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of
coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let
the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in
Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a
rumpled-up piece of aluminium foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola
over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the
rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap
the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is
finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for
a sumptuous brown gravy.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy
clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will
help loosen grease stains.

9. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

For Your Info:

1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will
dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from
bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use
the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of
their trucks for about 20 years!

Now the question is, would you like a coke or a glass of water? :devil:

Missy D
13th-December-2005, 09:20 AM
Water for me! There is so much apartame in coke which can cause all sorts of allergies. A few years ago my daughter had all the symtoms for kidney problems and was in so much pain. After a few tests, the hospital found out that it was aspartame. The worrying thing is that more and more people are choosing sugar free drinks etc but, the sugar is replaced with aspartame and other rubbish.

Icey
13th-December-2005, 09:57 AM
I will always chose water over coke. I've found that if I drink coke I'll still be thirsty.

David Bailey
13th-December-2005, 09:59 AM
Although how much evidence or truth there is behind the statements, i don't know.

Honestly, not much - it's an urban legend basically.

Yes, it contains carbonic acid, citric acid and phosphoric acid - but in very weak concentrations (e.g. 0.2% phosphoric acid), certainly not harmful ones. Stomach acids are much stronger than any of the acids in Coca-Cola.

More details on the Snopes.com (http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp) website.

Don't get me wrong, Coke is not a health drink, it's bad for you. But that's because of the sugar / substitutes, the syrup, and all the other cr&p in it...

KatieR
13th-December-2005, 10:18 AM
....lots of bad stuff....

But it tastes so good.. :what:

senorita
13th-December-2005, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE=Cruella]This is why i don't drink Coke :eek:
WATER OR COKE?

WATER

with basic maths, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

You forgot:.. it helps prevent ladies getting celulite.:)
(washes rubbish outta your body)

Anyway water for me for sure,....I drink tons of it!

TiggsTours
13th-December-2005, 10:38 AM
And its the best cure for a hangover!

Water for me 80% of the time, coke 10%, tea or wine the other 10%. A little bit of what you fancy does you good. :D

senorita
13th-December-2005, 10:41 AM
A little bit of what you fancy does you good. :D[/QUOTE]

yes for sure :)

dee
13th-December-2005, 10:42 AM
I will always chose water over coke. I've found that if I drink coke I'll still be thirsty.

:yeah: Plus i would need the loo more than if i drunk water :sick:

ToeTrampler
13th-December-2005, 10:48 AM
Now if only Kate Moss had read this thread....

Zebra Woman
13th-December-2005, 10:54 AM
Water for me! There is so much apartame in coke which can cause all sorts of allergies. A few years ago my daughter had all the symtoms for kidney problems and was in so much pain. After a few tests, the hospital found out that it was aspartame. The worrying thing is that more and more people are choosing sugar free drinks etc but, the sugar is replaced with aspartame and other rubbish.

Water for me, even if it's tap water and costs £1 a glass :whistle:

Coke is so obviously full of chemicals and worth avoiding. Nuff said. What gets my goat is the subtle hidden aspartame and sweeteners in the non-diet drinks and so called 'health drinks'.

Aspartame is something I have been avoiding for years, it just doesn't quench my thirst has a nasty after taste and it's not real food, never mind the other risks attatched. I am suspicious of the way Aspartame came to be approved for food use and the way it seems to have been sneakily slipped into so many more things lately that it doesn't need to be in. I expect diet products to have artificial sweeteners, but non-diet products should not have them IMO. At my local Mini Tesco I cannot buy any kind of fruit squash without it being polluted with aspartame,even the non-diet squashes have aspartame in them. Why?

Annoyingly whan you're trying to avoid coke it's very hard to find a lemonade without aspartame in it. Even non-diet lemonades have aspartame and or saccarin in them as well as sugar- Why is that?

Could it be because aspartame is 100 times cheaper than sugar? :whistle:

Grrr :angry: :angry:

Oh yes one more thing. Why is the writing so small on the labels?:mad:

They manage to write 'R WHITES' big enough don't they?

Ah yes ... a glass of water with ice and lemon ... thanks Di :flower:

calm calm :grin:

ZW

stewart38
13th-December-2005, 10:59 AM
Water taste like errr water totally plain and dull

Coke taste like coke

So its coke !

Dizzy
13th-December-2005, 11:14 AM
Water for me, even if it's tap water and costs £1 a glass :whistle:

What gets my goat is the subtle hidden aspartame and sweeteners in the non-diet drinks and so called 'health drinks'.

ZW

:yeah:

And the flavoured waters that are on the market that still contain sugar :mad: *cough cough 'Evian' cough*

I try and have water as much as possible - although I do give in once in a while and have a diet coke :blush: .

Dehydration can cause a lot of problems and most of the time, we don't really know about it :what: . Drinking 2 litres of water a day can help so much for your overall well being :clap: .

Lynn
13th-December-2005, 11:31 AM
I try and have water as much as possible - although I do give in once in a while and have a diet coke :blush: . Pretty much the same for me (though I don't like diet coke so its the regular stuff.) I will sometimes have soft drinks if I am out somewhere, but most of the time I prefer water. I always carry a small bottle of water with me everywhere.

Icey
13th-December-2005, 01:37 PM
I've just read the replies after mine and gues where I'm going next ... the water cooler for a large glass or water :clap:

Piglet
13th-December-2005, 01:53 PM
Water for me! :D (A good Aberdonian drink :wink: )

I've found that people I know that don't drink tea/coffee tend to drink more cola than those who do - could it be anything to do with caffeine fixes? e.g. if you get it in your tea/coffee you won't need to choose cola.

I like tea and I like water, but stay away mainly from the fizzy stuff.

ducasi
13th-December-2005, 02:29 PM
I mainly drink water and orange juice. I'll only drink Coke as a mixer, I never drink coffee, and only have tea when I'm being sociable (not often then!) or need to wake myself up during the day.

(Oh, I'll have the occasional Red Bull when I'm feeling sleepy and need to wake up and concentrate, but I have to drink it slowly or else I end up buzzing!)

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
13th-December-2005, 06:27 PM
I just put down my bottle of coke after reading that, I feel sick now, lol. I like water too, but it gets boring after too long, who wants to buy me a drink next time i'm at ceroc? :whistle:

El Salsero Gringo
13th-December-2005, 06:45 PM
Aspartame is something I have been avoiding for years, it just doesn't quench my thirst has a nasty after taste and it's not real food, never mind the other risks attatched. I am suspicious of the way Aspartame came to be approved for food use and the way it seems to have been sneakily slipped into so many more things lately that it doesn't need to be in. I expect diet products to have artificial sweeteners, but non-diet products should not have them IMO. At my local Mini Tesco I cannot buy any kind of fruit squash without it being polluted with aspartame,even the non-diet squashes have aspartame in them. Why? Of course - if it has a vaguely chemical-sounding name, and it's cheap - then it must be bad for you.

This dihydrogen monoxide stuff is particularly deadly. It's cheaper than sh*t, the government keep telling us to drink more of it (why *is* that? what aren't they telling us?) yet inhale even a tiny amount in liquid form and you get gross bronchial irritation. It's especially deadly to small children - toddlers have been known to drown in less than 2 inches of the stuff.

I think people should be aware of the dangers being pumped into their own homes.

Also, I'd like to know where all the great-sounding statistics in the first post come from. They sound like a total load of b*ll*cks to me - especially the cancer ones.

LMC
13th-December-2005, 06:50 PM
Dihydrogen monoxide sounds good to me, does it come in concentrate?

ducasi
13th-December-2005, 06:57 PM
Of course - if it has a vaguely chemical-sounding name, and it's cheap - then it must be bad for you.
Alternatively it's because there's lots of scientists who have studied its effects on humans and don't think it's safe to consume.

Plus, it tastes rank.

LordOfTheFiles
13th-December-2005, 06:58 PM
Also, I'd like to know where all the great-sounding statistics in the first post come from. They sound like a total load of b*ll*cks to me - especially the cancer ones.

If you notice most of the statistics involve Americans. Pretty much anything could be true when it involves your average US citizen so I am going to suspend my disbelief for the time being

El Salsero Gringo
13th-December-2005, 07:45 PM
Alternatively it's because there's lots of scientists who have studied its effects on humans and don't think it's safe to consume.Go on then, back up that contentious statement with some background material so we can decide whether we agree with Cruella and ZW, or the public health authorities of every single country in the world. Interestingly, I heard lots of scientists have actually decided that the week only has six days, and we've been mistaken for 2000 years.
Plus, it tastes rank.With you on that one, though.

Personally I don't drink coke because it's full of caffeine and because the phosphoric acid it contains is very bad for your teeth.

Stuart
13th-December-2005, 08:08 PM
Water for me every time, especially since I read this article in the Guardian about what actually goes into Coke.

David Bailey
13th-December-2005, 08:31 PM
Personally I don't drink coke because it's full of caffeine
That's one of the main reasons I do drink coke. Oh, and I like the taste.

and because the phosphoric acid it contains is very bad for your teeth.
Simple solution - never smile. Works for me.

Snopes has a whole set of "Coke urban legends (http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/)", including:

- Was the 'New Coke' fiasco really a clever marketing ploy? (http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/newcoke.asp)
- Is Coca-Cola is an effective spermicide? (http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/sperm.asp)
- Do the acids in Coca-Cola make it harmful to drink? (http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp) (the start of this thread)

Oh, and my own personal favourite: "Was Fanta invented by the Nazis? (http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/fanta.asp)" - amazingly, that last one has some vague basis in a factual story (Fanta was invented in Germany when WWII made it difficult to get Coca-Cola syrup from the USA).

Believe Snopes, ignore everyone else.

Stuart
13th-December-2005, 09:39 PM
I went whitewater rafting a couple of years ago at Holme Pierrepoint near Nottingham. Afterwards our instructor told us that the best way to counteract any bacteria in any river water that we had swallowed (a lot given the number of times that I fell in!) was to drink about a pint of regular Coke. I did, but I felt awful afterwards.

ducasi
13th-December-2005, 09:51 PM
Go on then, back up that contentious statement with some background material so we can decide whether we agree with Cruella and ZW, or the public health authorities of every single country in the world. There are lots of pro- and anti- aspartame sites on the net, and so you can take your pick...

Thought this article (http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/100.html) was worth giving a second look to.

Here's some more (http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/recent.html) from the same web site.

I'm not saying that I believe there's a major problem with aspartame, but it gives food for thought (if you excuse the pun.)

WittyBird
13th-December-2005, 09:56 PM
Coke for me :what:

David Bailey
13th-December-2005, 10:25 PM
There are lots of pro- and anti- aspartame sites on the net, and so you can take your pick...

Thought this article (http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/100.html) was worth giving a second look to.

Here's some more (http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/recent.html) from the same web site.

I'm not saying that I believe there's a major problem with aspartame, but it gives food for thought (if you excuse the pun.)

Hmmm, to use the same line of argument I followed in the "Hemel explosions" thread, any site which has the title "www.holisticmed.com" is not going to be unbiased; I take your point about the difficulty of finding a neutral site, however.

But, to quote from that site (research dated 1996):
Of the 90 non-industry-sponsored studies, 83 (92%) identified one or more problems with aspartame. Of the 7 studies which did not find a problems, 6 of those studies were conducted by the FDA. Given that a number of FDA officials went to work for the aspartame industry immediately following approval (including the former FDA Commissioner), many consider these studies to be equivalent to industry-sponsored research.

In other words, all FDA research is authomatically suspect, because it doesn't agree with what they want it to say. In politics, that's called Playing The Man, Not The Ball.

And the link to the next level up is titled "Aspartame ( NutraSweet ) Toxicity Information Center Main Page." - subtle choice of navigation title there :rolleyes:

Plus, saying "the aspartame industry", sounds like it's "the military-industrial complex" or something :rofl:

I've no idea about the science, but that holisticmed site doesn't seem credible to me.

Having said all that, the original research (http://www.dorway.com/peerrev.html) linked to from that site looks a bit more credible - but it'd take more effort than I'm willing to expend to investigate it further.

ducasi
13th-December-2005, 11:30 PM
Hmmm, to use the same line of argument I followed in the "Hemel explosions" thread, any site which has the title "www.holisticmed.com" is not going to be unbiased; I take your point about the difficulty of finding a neutral site, however.

DJ, I basically agree with everything you say, except that I don't have the same knee-jerk reaction to the word "holistic". :nice:

It does seem to me though that my assertion "there's lots of scientists who have studied its effects on humans and don't think it's safe to consume" is fundamentally true. (Unlike some people, I don't just make up facts to fit my argument.)

David Bailey
13th-December-2005, 11:38 PM
(Unlike some people, I don't just make up facts to fit my argument.)
Hell, you're no fun then. :na:

Anything you consume can be shown to be unhealthy in sufficient quantities, I imagine. I still like Coke, mmmm......

El Salsero Gringo
14th-December-2005, 10:14 AM
There are lots of pro- and anti- aspartame sites on the net, and so you can take your pick...

I'm not saying that I believe there's a major problem with aspartame, but it gives food for thought (if you excuse the pun.)Let's look at the figures in a different light:

" Of the 90 non-industry-sponsored studies, 83 (92%) identified one or more problems with aspartame. Of the 7 studies which did not find a problems, 6 of those studies were conducted by the FDA. Given that a number of FDA officials went to work for the aspartame industry immediately following approval (including the former FDA Commissioner), many consider these studies to be equivalent to industry-sponsored research."

What they don't mention - because it doesn't suit their argument - is *who* funded the "non-industry" research. Someone had to, and if they're picking apart sources of funding looking for bias they need to be even-handed. I don't believe bland assurances about "netural". Furthermore, how much of that neutral research found no problem with Aspartame and just didn't get published? There's not a lot of space in peer-reviewed journals for "no controversy, nothing to see, everything perfectly safe" results.

If I wanted to be contentious, I'd suggest that the anti-aspartame research was funded and publicised by the sugar industry who have a vested interest in making sure that people eat and drink as much sugar as possible. I wonder if any of those 'neutral' scientists went to work at Tate and Lyle?

Sorry, but you (or they) will have to do better - much better - than that.

David Bailey
14th-December-2005, 10:31 AM
What they don't mention - because it doesn't suit their argument - is *who* funded the "non-industry" research.
The list is here (http://www.dorway.com/nonindus.html) - to be fair to Ducasi, the list does appear to be reasonably respectable, funding from universities and medical centres (e.g. John Hopkins) mainly. Of course, whether the list itself is accurate, I dunno - there are no links provided - and it's all out of date, generally mid-90's research.

Hmmm, referring to the fount of all knowledge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame) on the matter, the weight of evidence does mainly seem to suggest it's not good for you, but clearly it's a very controversial topic.

And I still like Diet Coke, mmm. :drool:

ducasi
14th-December-2005, 11:29 AM
Sorry, but you (or they) will have to do better - much better - than that. Sorry for failing the ESG test... I think though that when there are two strongly held opinions, and a weight of money behind them both, that you'll be able to practice reputation assassination on either side...

What would convince you?

Rhythm King
14th-December-2005, 12:29 PM
Dihydrogen monoxide sounds good to me, does it come in concentrate?

Yeah, you can get it dehydrated, you just add water...

LordOfTheFiles
14th-December-2005, 12:36 PM
Sorry for failing the ESG test... I think though that when there are two strongly held opinions, and a weight of money behind them both, that you'll be able to practice reputation assassination on either side...

What would convince you?

Money, lots of it. And possibly a place on the Board of Directors. Luckily I'm not picky which side I support, just so long as they support my bid for early retirement. And that my friends is the way the game is played.

Lynn
14th-December-2005, 02:51 PM
Dihydrogen monoxide sounds good to me, does it come in concentrate?I read somewhere about some US programme that did a spoof on that - got people to sign up to ban dihydrogen monoxide - saying things like its still on fruit and vegetables after you wash them etc...

While I know there is all sorts of stuff* in our processed food and drink that we could probably do without, I also think there is sometimes too much over hype of 'dangers' in our food.

*Replace with your pet hate additive.

David Bailey
14th-December-2005, 03:15 PM
I read somewhere about some US programme that did a spoof on that - got people to sign up to ban dihydrogen monoxide - saying things like its still on fruit and vegetables after you wash them etc..
Facts about Dihydrogen Monoxide (or DHMO):

Some call Dihydrogen Monoxide the "Invisible Killer"
Others think dihydrogen monoxide should be Banned
Dihydrogen Monoxide is linked to gun violence
Dihydrogen monoxide was found at every recent school shooting
Athletes use DHMO to enhance performance
Dihydrogen Monoxide has been found in our rivers, lakes, oceans and streams
Dihydrogen Monoxide is a major component of acid rain
Thousands die each year after inhaling dihydrogen monoxide
Dihydrogen Monoxide can be deadly

Taken from dhmo.org (http://www.dhmo.org/) - and you thought I had a lot of time on my hands... :rofl:

But worst of all, Ashtons sells impure and unsterilised DHMO, openly and blatantly, for a mere £1 a glass, to dancers at regular Ceroc events. Ban this liquid, now!

Lynn
14th-December-2005, 05:54 PM
Facts about Dihydrogen Monoxide (or DHMO):

Dihydrogen Monoxide has been found in our rivers, lakes, oceans and streams
Dihydrogen Monoxide is a major component of acid rain Yes, those were another couple of the things I had read but couldn't remember earlier on today. Ta! :flower:

Jodie's_Demo
14th-December-2005, 08:32 PM
i don't want coke or water, give me a beer and i'm happy :cheers:

DavidY
15th-December-2005, 02:25 PM
Hmmm, referring to the fount of all knowledge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame)Apparently it is indeed the fount of all knowledge. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4530930.stm) Or at least nearly as good as being one.

stewart38
15th-December-2005, 03:05 PM
WATER OR COKE?

WATER

And now for the properties of COKE (or Pepsi):

1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of
coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let
the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in
Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a
rumpled-up piece of aluminium foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola
over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the
rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap
the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is
finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for
a sumptuous brown gravy.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy
clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will
help loosen grease stains.

9. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

For Your Info:

1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will
dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from
bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use
the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of
their trucks for about 20 years!

Now the question is, would you like a coke or a glass of water? :devil:

Coke for me I dont want to die from drinking water :sad:

---------

When too much water enters the body's cells, the tissues swell with the excess fluid. Your cells maintain a specific concentration gradient, so excess water outside the cells (the serum) draws sodium from within the cells out into the serum in an attempt to re-establish the necessary concentration. As more water accumulates, the serum sodium concentration drops -- a condition known as hyponatremia. The other way cells try to regain the electrolyte balance is for water outside the cells to rush into the cells via osmosis. The movement of water across a semipermeable membrane from higher to lower concentration is called osmosis. Although electrolytes are more concentrated inside the cells than outside, the water outside the cells is 'more concentrated' or 'less dilute' since it contains fewer electrolytes. Both electrolytes and water move across the cell membrane in an effort to balance concentration. Theoretically, cells could swell to the point of bursting.

From the cell's point of view, water intoxication produces the same effects as would result from drowning in fresh water. Electrolyte imbalance and tissue swelling can cause an irregular heartbeat, allow fluid to enter the lungs, and may cause fluttering eyelids. Swelling puts pressure on the brain and nerves, which can cause behaviors resembling alcohol intoxication. Swelling of brain tissues can cause seizures, coma and ultimately death unless water intake is restricted and a hypertonic saline (salt) solution is administered. If treatment is given before tissue swelling causes too much cellular damage, then a complete recovery can be expected within a few days.

-----------------------------------------------------

ducasi
15th-December-2005, 03:12 PM
Coke for me I dont want to die from drinking waterStewart, if you drink the same amount of coke as it takes for water to kill you, I figure you'll be dead anyway. :sick:

Now, why did you feel it really necessary to quote the whole of Cruella's post?

stewart38
15th-December-2005, 03:25 PM
Stewart, if you drink the same amount of coke as it takes for water to kill you, I figure you'll be dead anyway. :sick:

Now, why did you feel it really necessary to quote the whole of Cruella's post?

So we could keep things in balance :sad:

Coke cleans coins , water cleans cars etc

Cruella
15th-December-2005, 05:13 PM
So we could keep things in balance :sad:

Coke cleans coins , water cleans cars etc
Probably wouldn't want to clean your car with coke though :whistle:

Northants Girly
15th-December-2005, 05:25 PM
Coke for me I dont want to die from drinking water :sad:

---------

When too much water enters the body's cells, the tissues swell with the excess fluid. Your cells maintain a specific concentration gradient, so excess water outside the cells (the serum) draws sodium from within the cells out into the serum in an attempt to re-establish the necessary concentration. As more water accumulates, the serum sodium concentration drops -- a condition known as hyponatremia. The other way cells try to regain the electrolyte balance is for water outside the cells to rush into the cells via osmosis. The movement of water across a semipermeable membrane from higher to lower concentration is called osmosis. Although electrolytes are more concentrated inside the cells than outside, the water outside the cells is 'more concentrated' or 'less dilute' since it contains fewer electrolytes. Both electrolytes and water move across the cell membrane in an effort to balance concentration. Theoretically, cells could swell to the point of bursting.

From the cell's point of view, water intoxication produces the same effects as would result from drowning in fresh water. Electrolyte imbalance and tissue swelling can cause an irregular heartbeat, allow fluid to enter the lungs, and may cause fluttering eyelids. Swelling puts pressure on the brain and nerves, which can cause behaviors resembling alcohol intoxication. Swelling of brain tissues can cause seizures, coma and ultimately death unless water intake is restricted and a hypertonic saline (salt) solution is administered. If treatment is given before tissue swelling causes too much cellular damage, then a complete recovery can be expected within a few days.

-----------------------------------------------------http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

stewart38
15th-December-2005, 05:30 PM
Probably wouldn't want to clean your car with coke though :whistle:

Have you seen what water does to your engine if you put it in the tank, instead of petrol, I know what I'd prefer to drink :wink:

Stewart38
Coco Cola
Company
New York

Cruella
15th-December-2005, 05:38 PM
Have you seen what water does to your engine if you put it in the tank, instead of petrol, I know what I'd prefer to drink :wink:
:eek: You'd rather drink petrol!!

Stewart38
Coco Cola
Company
New York
Is that the chocolate version of Coca Cola?

David Bailey
15th-December-2005, 09:00 PM
Apparently it is indeed the fount of all knowledge. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4530930.stm) Or at least nearly as good as being one.
Yeah, I've been keeping up with that stuff - there was even an item on PM (Radio 4 drivehome programme) about it a couple of days ago...

I've definitely developed a sense for Wiki weaknesses over the past few months :(

Oh well, it's still pretty good :)

David Bailey
16th-December-2005, 02:34 PM
Heh, just got this through:

Dear All,

My heartfelt appreciation goes out to all of you who have taken the time and trouble to send me "forwards" over the past 12 months.

Extra thanks to who ever sent me the one about rat crap getting into the glue used on envelopes cause I now have to go and get a wet towel every time I need to seal an envelope.

Because of your concern I no longer drink Coca Cola because it can remove toilet stains and dissolve 1p coins and was used successfully instead of oil in a car engine.

You will be glad to know i have sent my Bank details to a Mr Uduwole In Nigeria and he is going to share his deceased uncle's £1,000,000 with me.

I no longer send my bank details online in case anyone is tapped in.

I no longer put my name on any forms or emails in case anyone steals my identity!

I no longer check the coin return on pay phones because I could be pricked with a sharp point infected with AIDS and could die.

I no longer leave my drink unnatended whilst out socialising in case someone should drug me with retinol and shag me.

I no longer eat KFC because their "chickens" are actually genetically modified hybrid mutant freaks with no eyes or feathers.

I have cancelled the Christmas turkey in case I catch bird flu.

I no longer worry about my soul because at last count I have 363,214 angels looking out for me.

Thanks to you, I have learned that God only answers my prayers if I forward an e-mail to seventeen of my friends and make a wish within five minutes.

I no longer have any money at all - but that will change once I receive the £15,000 that Microsoft and AOL are sending me for participating in their special email programme.

Yes, I want to thank you so much for looking out for me that I will now return the favour!

If you don't send this e-mail to at least 144,000 people in the next 7 minutes your eyes will explode and your genitals will go black and drop off!.....................have a nice day!

Emphasis mine... :whistle:

Stuart M
28th-December-2005, 05:21 PM
This dihydrogen monoxide stuff is particularly deadly.
Now, if you young whippersnappers had been attentive on this Forum a couple of April 1sts (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2700) back you'd have been well warned about this sort of thing. I mean, who needs Wikipedia?

LIBBY
2nd-January-2006, 01:59 AM
Hope I am not intruding but I just had to reply to this. My husband has a coke problem! He is addicted to coke and has withdrawal symptoms without it....and I don't mean cocaine. He gets headaches and is grumpy (although it's difficult to tell if that's the coke or just him being normal!!) and he feels lethargic and ill if he doesn't get a 'fix'. I thought we were 'cracking' the problem (sorry about the pun) but then discovered that he was buying coke from the machine at work. Quite simply, he needs to drink coke or he can't function. My dad told me today that when he was doing National Service in the fifties, the soldiers were told that coke was addictive and that the chemicals in it were really really bad for you. I also remember something when I was a kid about taking coke and aspirin(???) to get a high! And anyway, why would you want to drink something that is basically a cocktail of chemicals, flavouring and colours mixed with water - god knows what it does to our liver and kidneys!
I shall now step off my soapbox. I will also add that I am addicted to chocolate - but hey, that's okay isn't it?

Dizzy
2nd-January-2006, 01:33 PM
He is addicted to coke and has withdrawal symptoms without it....and I don't mean cocaine. He gets headaches and is grumpy (although it's difficult to tell if that's the coke or just him being normal!!)

Hi Libby, welcome to the forum. As you can see from this thread, Coke has a lot of caffeine in it and can cause as lot of withdrawal symptoms. I used to drink in excess of 28 cans a week of Diet coke before i got up one day and said I would give up drinking the stuff because it was bad for me. I got awful withdrawal symptoms and suffered headaches and mood swings for about 2 weeks after but once they went away, I was fine and it is now very rarely that I drink Coke/ Diet Coke :clap:.

I shall now step off my soapbox. I will also add that I am addicted to chocolate - but hey, that's okay isn't it?

Um...........actually...........no. Chocolate has other additives in it that can be just as addictive, but it can also be good for you in little amounts. :wink:

El Salsero Gringo
2nd-January-2006, 03:26 PM
And anyway, why would you want to drink something that is basically a cocktail of chemicals, flavouring and colours mixed with water - god knows what it does to our liver and kidneys!Very true... so you'll be steering clear of (let's see) tea, coffee, beer, scotch, orange juice, pineapple juice, wine... I mean, at least you know what chemicals are in Coke, right? Lord alone knows what chemicals the coffee plant puts into its beans! And as for chocolate... yup - chemicals - packed full of them. Steer well clear. And food. And breathing - air's full of chemicals. Suddenly I feel very faint. Better go lie down.

philsmove
2nd-January-2006, 03:51 PM
I will also add that I am addicted to chocolate - but hey, that's okay isn't it?

Of course it’s OK

Go here

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5607&highlight=Chocolate

Mary
2nd-January-2006, 04:28 PM
Hate sweet, sugary drinks. Water or wine at all times please.:D

M

Rhythm King
2nd-January-2006, 06:15 PM
Hate sweet, sugary drinks. Water or wine at all times please.:D

M
Yes it's about this time of year that Mary likes to turn wine into water.:whistle:

(Sorry, the little voices made me type it :blush: )