PDA

View Full Version : If you could tell a beginner One Thing...

David Bailey
12th-December-2005, 09:47 PM
OK, for experienced dancers, you get one thing you can tell beginners, which they'll take to heart - what's it going to be, and why?

I'll kick off:

Take small steps.
Why? - because it's easy to remember, it's easy to do, and it vastly improves your starting posture, weight distribution, need for compensation, time available to do moves, and so on. And it's something that everyone seems to get wrong at the start - I certainly did - but which isn't much emphasised (AFAIK) in beginner classes.

Next?

Gadget
12th-December-2005, 11:28 PM
At the risk of klling the thread, ther are some usefull posts here:{temp URLs}
Beginner Moves: Tips & advice (http://72.232.2.194/~fpauly/forum/showthread.php?t=4946)
Tips for beginner (Guys) (http://72.232.2.194/~fpauly/forum/showthread.php?t=2548)
Top Three Tips (http://72.232.2.194/~fpauly/forum/showthread.php?t=375)
(^ the first thread in the Beginner section... and it's mine :blush: {niceley killed by CJ :rolleyes:})

Feel free to continue any of these threads here - they may be old, but a fresh slant on them may re-invigorate. :flower:

Andy McGregor
12th-December-2005, 11:37 PM
Run, run!

There's no hope for me but you can save yourself, run quickly before it's too late!

And don't look back.

.. the horror, the horror :sick:

TheTramp
13th-December-2005, 12:44 AM
Keep your weight forward. Don't lean backwards, and hence stop pulling my arm out of it's socket. Thank you....

Whitebeard
13th-December-2005, 01:00 AM
OK, for experienced dancers, you get one thing you can tell beginners, which they'll take to heart - what's it going to be, and why?

Please, please, do not ever start to keep time to the music by bouncing your hand up and down.

Take small steps.

You aren't the first to give this advice on the forum. But it puzzles me as many of the dancers I admire, just as in professional ballroom dancing, do open out and take decidedly long steps to appropriate music.

(Not that I can be called truly experienced by any stretch of the imagination.)

bigdjiver
13th-December-2005, 01:14 AM
Listen to all the advice that you can, but make it your dance.

under par
13th-December-2005, 02:21 AM
follow the hands of the leader without gripping tightly to the his/her hands.:flower:

Cruella
13th-December-2005, 09:24 AM
To the ladies, i tell them to let themselves go brain dead! (no nasty comments please) i.e Daydream or think of something else, so they are not trying to work out the move, let the man lead you into it. The man will also learn more from this cos if he doesn't lead you, you don't go!

LMC
13th-December-2005, 09:33 AM
Relax and (try to) enjoy it.

KatieR
13th-December-2005, 10:04 AM
Dont be in a hurry to learn hundreds of moves, learn fewer moves but learn them properly. Its all well and good to know every move in the Ceroc catalogue but if you cant execute them properly it is, IMO wasted knowledge.

Msfab
13th-December-2005, 10:20 AM
Try and keep your arms slightly bent! And do not allow your elbows or shoulders to be pushed past your body!

TiggsTours
13th-December-2005, 10:44 AM
Ladies: Relax, enjoy it, don't think about the moves, you don't know what's coming next, so just have fun doing what you feel is being led, if its the wrong thing, then it must be his fault!

Guys: Relax, enjoy it, but take control! Its the one place in life where you really ARE in control, so make the most of it! And don't rush it, its not a race to try to learn the most number of moves in the shortest amount of time, just use the ones you are comfortable with, that will increase in time.

Night Owl
13th-December-2005, 08:44 PM
Dont be in a hurry to learn hundreds of moves, learn fewer moves but learn them properly. Its all well and good to know every move in the Ceroc catalogue but if you cant execute them properly it is, IMO wasted knowledge.
Darn beat me to that one ,

Gents listen to the beat

KISS

Keep it Simply simple

David Bailey
13th-December-2005, 09:03 PM
You aren't the first to give this advice on the forum.
:eek: Oh well :tears: :)

But it puzzles me as many of the dancers I admire, just as in professional ballroom dancing, do open out and take decidedly long steps to appropriate music.
If you're experienced enough / good enough, you can choose to take large steps of course - and it can be good to do that for emphasis, for style or other reasons. Like all these things, you can bend or break the rules, as long as you know what you're doing.

But it's never "wrong" to take small steps at any level, it's just a style choice. That's why I picked that particular one out, because it's not one of those "lies-to-children" type of rules or guidelines which can actually hinder you after a certain point (e.g. signals). And, of course, because it's helpful, and "large steps" are a common beginner problem in any dance style.

LMC
14th-December-2005, 10:08 AM
If someone with a slightly scary glazed look in their eyes tells you about this great internet forum... RUN. Run like the wind.

David Bailey
14th-December-2005, 10:30 AM
If someone with a slightly scary glazed look in their eyes tells you about this great internet forum... RUN. Run like the wind.
:rofl: :worthy: :clap: :yeah:

Sparkles
14th-December-2005, 10:53 AM
Don't have a drink (or twelve) for dutch-courage before you attend your first few classes. You don't need it, it really won't help your co-ordination and it'll make you smell like a brewery.

Sheepman
14th-December-2005, 01:29 PM
DON'T PANIC! Just try and learn from when it goes wrong.

Lynn
14th-December-2005, 03:05 PM
If someone with a slightly scary glazed look in their eyes tells you about this great internet forum... RUN. Run like the wind. :rofl: :yeah:

Beginners - I would tell them to relax and not to worry if they get it wrong.

Rhythm King
14th-December-2005, 05:15 PM
I generally tell them it's a bit like learning to drive. At first, there's so much going on, it's information overload, with hands and feet going in different directions and trying to keep in time. then it starts falling into place, some bits quicker than others, and then the penny drops (also for leaders, not to be put off by the fact that ladies seem to get it quicker then guys). On that basis, I ask them to keep trying for at least six classes/weeks, to give it a proper go.

ducasi
14th-December-2005, 05:33 PM
If there was one thing I could go back and tell myself when I was just stating out, it'd be "keep going, you'll make it". Fortunately enough people on the forum told me that and I did keep going. :flower:

I wonder if I'll ever make it...

Lee
16th-December-2005, 03:43 PM
For new guys: (as KatieR said) learn fewer moves but learn them properly and try to dance with the beat. oh and WEAR DEODORANT!!!!

For new ladies: Relax your arms, follow the mans lead, and if it goes wrong it his fault. oh and DON'T EAT GARLIC!!

Lee

spindr
16th-December-2005, 05:11 PM
Go to different venues, different teachers, different franchises, styles, etc. -- as soon as you feel confident enough -- it'll help your lead/follow immensely.

SpinDr.

stewart38
19th-December-2005, 03:24 PM
Ive been going only 4 weeks and look how well Ive done :nice:

Or relax and enjoy it :yeah:

Lee
20th-December-2005, 02:20 PM
Ive been going only 4 weeks and look how well Ive done :nice:

:rofl: I'll try that next time

ElaineB
23rd-December-2005, 01:48 PM
As before and..........look at your partner, not over their shoulder or around the room........and if you can, try to smile! :D

Elaine

MOD
23rd-December-2005, 01:59 PM
NO THUMBS!!

Went dancing last night and now got a bruise on my hand from an overeager lead!!:tears:

I wont run away, promise. I know Ceroc is a contact sport - occasional kicks in the shins both given and received are just part of it - but bruising on the hand I have to object to.

Relax and enjoy:flower:

Baruch
26th-December-2005, 06:56 PM
ALWAYS shower before dancing, use (and reapply during the course of the evening) antiperspirant deodorant, and take at least one change of shirt/top. This applies to BOTH sexes.

Piglet
28th-December-2005, 04:39 PM
Take note of the dance partners you get in class that lead well/ follow well and make sure you get a dance from them in the freestyle.
(Take note of the dance partners that didn't lead well/follow well and don't go looking for a dance with them in freestyle, but that's not to say you refuse them) :wink:

Kay
13th-January-2006, 10:45 AM
When I'm leading beginner ladies I always encourage them to smile :) - this in turn will make them relax - and hopefully help them to enjoy themselves.
Kay.

David Bailey
13th-January-2006, 11:30 AM
When I'm leading beginner ladies I always encourage them to smile :) - this in turn will make them relax - and hopefully help them to enjoy themselves.
Kay.
Excellent point - reminds me of an occasion related to me from last Friday.

One of the taxi dancers (female) at the venue was asked how to do a particular move by a beginner-y man - 5 seconds into the description, she realised with a sinking feeling that he was describing the Tunnel :eek: (or the Evil Tunnel, Move From Hell, to give it its proper name).

She tried to diplomatically tell the guy that "No woman likes that move", when one of the other taxi dancers (a man) thankfully came in and said to the guy "Don't worry about moves, the only thing you need to worry about is this."

He took the woman taxi dancer's hand, and then he smiled.

That was it. :worthy:

Tessalicious
24th-January-2006, 12:21 PM
If you suspect that you might have issues with finding the beat or sticking to it, don't wear noisy clicky shoes, they will only accentuate the problem.

thewacko
4th-February-2006, 12:08 PM
look into my eyes and dance with me

and men . . .
look into the eyes of the lady you are dancing with cos at the time you are dancing with them they are the most important person in the world

and to both sexes . . .

dont go on Ceroc Scotland Forum or you too will be doooooomed

robd
6th-February-2006, 12:18 PM
Stand up straight.

Andy McGregor
6th-February-2006, 12:45 PM
One thing I've been telling beginner ladies recently is about asking guys to dance. New women are often reluctant to ask guys for a dance, especially the good dancers.

I tell the ladies to book their dances in the lesson. When they get a guy in the line that they'd like to dance with I tell the ladies to say something like "do you mind if I grab you for a dance later" or something similar. This seems to make it easier for them than walking up to a guy in the freestyle.

Baruch
6th-February-2006, 10:25 PM
Don't look at your feet, but give your partner eye contact.

Saxylady
7th-February-2006, 04:23 PM
give your partner eye contact.

Preferably not with your chin, elbow or fist.

Whitebeard
7th-February-2006, 04:25 PM
Preferably not with your chin, elbow or fist.

Or you'll end up on the bad lad list.

Saxylady
7th-February-2006, 04:59 PM
Or you'll end up on the bad lad list.

:eek: Oh no - I thought I'd finally escaped from the Limerick thread!!

LMC
7th-February-2006, 05:18 PM
B****y hell, I find myself agreeing with Andy M. Except I'm not going to restrict my advice to ladies as it applies to all...

Ask people to dance. As many people as possible. Everyone loves to dance with their friends and "good" dancers and 99.9% of people are sympathetic to beginners. Unfortunately, that means there's less left over for early intermediates - your smile needs to be known to make it easier for you to get the dances then. So take advantage of those first few weeks.

Minnie M
7th-February-2006, 07:20 PM
One thing I've been telling beginner ladies recently is about asking guys to dance. New women are often reluctant to ask guys for a dance, especially the good dancers..........
:yeah: but don't hog them :mad: one dance, say thank you, and hopefully next time he will ask you :flower:

Donna
7th-February-2006, 07:50 PM
:yeah: but don't hog them :mad: one dance, say thank you, and hopefully next time he will ask you :flower:

Being a demonstrator I find beginners refuse to dance because they might feel intimidated. That's other people's opinions as well...but if they don't except, then they will never learn any quicker.

2leftfeet
7th-February-2006, 10:23 PM
being a beginner, I have never refused a request to dance, but it still requires confidence to go and ask someone to dance. Thats often the problem, its gaining the confidence.
I have seen various threads about asking more experienced people for a dance as a way of learning, and in most places, as you say beginners are accepted into the "body o the kirk!". However As you will se from my previous threads I do go on my travels. I recently went to a Southern venue Freestyle with a fellow beginner. At this freestyle there was a group of about 8 female dancers who were very good. We asked these females for a dance and were refused. We decided to just go with the flow and watch what happened and found that most of the night these 8 females just went around "trapping" all the good male dancers. This also meant that the less experienced female dancers did not get a "look in" with the experienced male dancers.
I'm sure that the above is not typical of venues, however the actions of a few can spoil things for all.
2LF

Minnie M
7th-February-2006, 10:39 PM
..........what happened and found that most of the night these 8 females just went around "trapping" all the good male dancers. This also meant that the less experienced female dancers did not get a "look in" with the experienced male dancers.
I'm sure that the above is not typical of venues, however the actions of a few can spoil things for all.
2LF
http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6535
similar situation :sad:

2leftfeet
7th-February-2006, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the link Minnie.
Yeh sounds similar.
My experience happended not too far from you in Pompey!
:sick:
2LF

thewacko
8th-February-2006, 10:47 PM
being a beginner, I have never refused a request to dance, but it still requires confidence to go and ask someone to dance. Thats often the problem, its gaining the confidence.
I have seen various threads about asking more experienced people for a dance as a way of learning, and in most places, as you say beginners are accepted into the "body o the kirk!". However As you will se from my previous threads I do go on my travels. I recently went to a Southern venue Freestyle with a fellow beginner. At this freestyle there was a group of about 8 female dancers who were very good. We asked these females for a dance and were refused. We decided to just go with the flow and watch what happened and found that most of the night these 8 females just went around "trapping" all the good male dancers. This also meant that the less experienced female dancers did not get a "look in" with the experienced male dancers.
2LF

:angry: Well now you know why I dont like gong to Bromley on a Thursday night - Even as a fairly decent intermediate I just do not like the aloofness of this venue:mad:

David Bailey
8th-February-2006, 11:47 PM
:angry: Well now you know why I dont like gong to Bromley on a Thursday night - Even as a fairly decent intermediate I just do not like the aloofness of this venue:mad:
Didn't WittyBird post a thread on these lines about Bromley, a while back?

Alice
9th-February-2006, 01:22 AM
Being a demonstrator I find beginners refuse to dance because they might feel intimidated. That's other people's opinions as well...but if they don't except, then they will never learn any quicker.
Yeah, I find that too. So maybe what we should say to them is GIVE IT A GO!!! :) (Also refusing to allow them to say no helps- I have been known to drag a first timer onto the floor when he tried to refuse a dance "because he was a beginner") <evil laughter>

Also I tell them, it's ok just to stick to tonight's routine- aim small- stick to one move of it if you want, I don't mind, at least you'll be able to do a good man breakthough:whistle:

DannyFalkirk
9th-February-2006, 10:26 PM
If you are going to a dance, take a towel with you. Great for a quick mop of the brow between dances.

Whitebeard
9th-February-2006, 11:28 PM
Think the thread has reached the level where a beginner who wears his shirts tucked in might be advised to go the whole hog and do a John Major by tucking it into his y-fronts. The shirt will stay much neater through the ravages of an energetic night of dance !!!

thewacko
10th-February-2006, 09:34 PM
Think the thread has reached the level where a beginner who wears his shirts tucked in might be advised to go the whole hog and do a John Major by tucking it into his y-fronts. The shirt will stay much neater through the ravages of an energetic night of dance !!!
:what:

maybe neat but sooooooooooo uncool :cool: :waycool: :cool: :waycool:

Whitebeard
10th-February-2006, 11:22 PM
:what:

maybe neat but sooooooooooo uncool :cool: :waycool: :cool: :waycool:

That's me !

Sueann
11th-July-2006, 04:41 PM
For a woman, it's just like s.e.x.!

1 relax
2 lie back and think of England (anything except what you're doing)
3 it will all be over in 3 minutes (or however long the record lasts)

Lory
11th-July-2006, 04:51 PM
For a woman, it's just like s.e.x.!

3 it will all be over in 3 minutes (or however long the record lasts)
:yeah: and it feels like even less time, if your REALLY enjoying it! :rolleyes:

:rofl: