PDA

View Full Version : Have we run out of MJ dance topics?

Feelingpink
12th-December-2005, 06:15 PM
I've been looking at the forum in recent weeks and have been thinking that most of the threads seem to be 'social' and 'chat' ones. There's nothing wrong in that ... but have we run out of MJ topics to discuss?

El Salsero Gringo
12th-December-2005, 06:33 PM
Why don't you start one?

jivecat
12th-December-2005, 09:46 PM
I've been looking at the forum in recent weeks and have been thinking that most of the threads seem to be 'social' and 'chat' ones. There's nothing wrong in that ... but have we run out of MJ topics to discuss?

Yes, there is nothing new to be said about the old favourites and we might as well save ourselves the bother and recycle the old threads.

However, the same old things could be said by new people who would have lots of fun saying them without realising they'd been said before.

Feelingpink
12th-December-2005, 10:23 PM
Yes, there is nothing new to be said about the old favourites and we might as well save ourselves the bother and recycle the old threads.

However, the same old things could be said by new people who would have lots of fun saying them without realising they'd been said before.Except we live in the age of the Harperlink ... so, in theory, I guess we could have new threads on the old favourites, but they would be quite short as forumites link to the existing threads.

under par
12th-December-2005, 11:12 PM
Except we live in the age of the Harperlink ... so, in theory, I guess we could have new threads on the old favourites, but they would be quite short as forumites link to the existing threads.

I'm sure that this has been discussed before:innocent: .....Mr Harper where are you?:wink:

Gadget
12th-December-2005, 11:17 PM
... but have we run out of MJ topics to discuss?nope.

:wink:

David Bailey
13th-December-2005, 09:48 AM
Except we live in the age of the Harperlink ... so, in theory, I guess we could have new threads on the old favourites, but they would be quite short as forumites link to the existing threads.
Whilst it's true that no doubt most general topics have been discussed to death, it's not exactly the End Of Dance Discussions yet, anymore than it's the end of history.

Yes, there's a wealth of past discussions available, but even with Mr Harper the search / archive mechanism is pretty poor, necessarily - that's the "living" nature of any discussion group, it always moves on.

I guess you could categorise topics as:
A/ Repeats of old topics
B/ Re-interpretations of old topics
C/ New topics

Probably we'll see lots of A/ and B/, and less of C/ as time goes on, but I doubt we'll ever run out.

stewart38
13th-December-2005, 12:45 PM
.. but have we run out of MJ topics to discuss?

I can think of loads of things to discuss re dance which havent before on here

e.g Do pets make good dance partners ?

Donna
13th-December-2005, 01:17 PM

I think so. Someone else told me that the other day, and I have to agree it seems as though some of the topics are similar to ones discussed previously. I don't go to the dance topics so much now. The chat and fun and games ones are the best.

Donna
13th-December-2005, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE]e.g Do pets make good dance partners ?[QUOTE]

My dog used to be a really good spinner!! Nah really! He used to chase after his own tale and got so dizzy sometimes, he fell over. :rofl:

spindr
13th-December-2005, 01:23 PM
Is Modern Jive a Latin Dance?
If yes, why aren't we taught to step ball-flat, like all the "proper" latin dances?
If no, why are the DJs playing so much latin music?

SpinDr

Donna
13th-December-2005, 01:27 PM
Is Modern Jive a Latin Dance?
If yes, why aren't we taught to step ball-flat, like all the "proper" latin dances?
If no, why are the DJs playing so much latin music?

SpinDr

Because Latin and Blues is so IN at the moment. Maybe next year it could be something different like....hip hop and swing.

Lynn
13th-December-2005, 01:37 PM
I think so. Someone else told me that the other day, and I have to agree it seems as though some of the topics are similar to ones discussed previously. I've been on this forum for a couple of years, some have been on longer - topics will resurface and I think its fine to discuss them again espescially if its mainly newer people talking about them, or if people have had different experiences and possibly changed their mind on some issues. Saying 'actually we all talked about this 2 years ago when you lot weren't around' can sometimes give the message 'and we don't want to hear what you think about it' even though that isn't intended.

So I 'm happy enough to see some discussions resurface, esp when there are people on the forum who weren't part of the discussion and have interesting comments to add - though having links to previous discussions is extremely helpful, or even the new discussion continuing on the existing thread.

Or is another possibile reason why there isn't as many posts on dance related topics is that some of those topics can get heated/personal and that puts people off posting?

Gadget
13th-December-2005, 02:11 PM
I think that there are still roughly the same number of posts being posted about dance realted stuff as there has been in years... it's just that the number of social and non-dance posts has grown expodentially!

Normally I skip over most of the "Chit-chat" and "Fun & games" posts unless the topic catches my eye. I will always try to read any posts in the "Beginners" and "Intermediate" sections - in the hope that they will spark some understanding in me, or that I can lend some understanding to them.

David Franklin
13th-December-2005, 02:30 PM
I think that there are still roughly the same number of posts being posted about dance realted stuff as there has been in years... it's just that the number of social and non-dance posts has grown expodentially!I don't think that's right. In fact, I think the dance posts have been trending down for a while now, but my perception is there's been a particularly sharp decline over the last month or two.

As Lynn says, it seems discussions of dance technique always tend to become personal; it's a particular shame how quickly everything seems to become a discussio about elitism. At the risk of offending the current regulars, I have to say a lot of my "favourite" posters have either stopped or posting, drastically cut back, or avoid posting about dance topics.

I do hope the forum doesn't go the way of rec.arts.dance, but current trends leave me pessimistic...

ChrisA
13th-December-2005, 02:33 PM
I do hope the forum doesn't go the way of rec.arts.dance
I don't often look there... which way has it gone?

CJ
13th-December-2005, 02:36 PM
I don't often look there... which way has it gone?

*Points to the left.*
That way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FWIW, these things are cyclical. There will be more said, but for now our dancing is all perfection!!:D

'S ok.. I'll get my coat...

David Franklin
13th-December-2005, 02:44 PM
I don't often look there... which way has it gone?For at least 3 years now, there's been little to no dance content on r.a.d. There are a few adverts for WCS dances, but the few remaining regulars seem completely unaware of a world outside the US (in fact, unaware of a world outside SoCal in most cases), or of any dances other than WCS. The 2nd gulf war pretty much killed the group off, with at least 20x as many "OT: Political" posts as anything else.

So far, so bad. What's really surprising is when you look back in google groups, and see both the number and level of posts in the past - particularly given the growth of internet usage during the same period. There's all manner of interesting discussion if you look back to, say, 1998.

The parallel is that so many of the topics back then are reminiscent of what we (used to) discuss here. Competition v.s. social dance. Ettiquete of refusal. Lead and Follow. Connection. And you used to get respected dancers (e.g. Deb Szekely) posting. Now, it's full of nothing but the equivalent of our "chat" threads, and the established dancers wouldn't be seen dead posting to it.

stewart38
13th-December-2005, 05:50 PM
My dog used to be a really good spinner!! Nah really! He used to chase after his own tale and got so dizzy sometimes, he fell over. :rofl:

Did you think of spinning him/her the other way to restrict the feeling of dizzy ness?

Or he/she should 'spot' to avoid getting dizzy ,was he called spot ?

I think parrots have a good rocking motion

Just think of beetles jumping 100 times his/her own height ! See that in ceroc champs

See we could have a thread what animals/insects are the best at MJ

A millipede , and their foot work amazing :worthy:

under par
13th-December-2005, 06:01 PM
Did you think of spinning him/her the other way to restrict the feeling of dizzy ness?

Just think of beetles jumping 100 times his/her own height ! See that in ceroc champs

A millipede , and their foot work amazing :worthy:

+rep on the way for those:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Feelingpink
13th-December-2005, 06:11 PM

A millipede , and their foot work amazing :worthy:A post like this kinda proves the point of the thread, surely? :whistle:

MartinHarper
13th-December-2005, 06:13 PM
A post like this kinda proves the point of the thread, surely? :whistle:

Well, it would if this thread was about dancing.

El Salsero Gringo
13th-December-2005, 06:34 PM
I do hope the forum doesn't go the way of rec.arts.dance, but current trends leave me pessimistic...Ahh... you know, nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Feelingpink
15th-December-2005, 12:46 PM
I can think of loads of things to discuss re dance which havent before on here

e.g Do pets make good dance partners ?I hope the attached answers your question (apologies if it's been seen before). http://www.creature-creations.com/

stewart38
15th-December-2005, 12:51 PM
Did anyone see in the Evening Standard (London) paper last night re the dance scene (partner dancing) exploding in London

What annoyed me was the so called 'typical clothes' people are suppose to wear at ceroc/jive ! :angry:

Feelingpink
15th-December-2005, 01:00 PM
Did anyone see in the Evening Standard (London) paper last night re the dance scene (partner dancing) exploding in London

What annoyed me was the so called 'typical clothes' people are suppose to wear at ceroc/jive ! :angry:Because you resent being told what to wear or because the article suggested "circular peggy Sue-style 1950s skirts for the girls and Bugsy Malone-style suits and spats for the boys".

LMC
15th-December-2005, 01:01 PM
I didn't see the ES article, but was interested enough to find it:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/londoncuts/articles/21186117?source=Evening%20Standard

for anyone else who missed it :) (click on London's hot dance spots within that article for the what to wear bits :rolleyes: - no comment)

stewart38
15th-December-2005, 01:02 PM
Because you resent being told what to wear or because the article suggested "circular peggy Sue-style 1950s skirts for the girls and Bugsy Malone-style suits and spats for the boys".

It doesnt 'suggest' it states thats what people wear putting of a few 1000s who read the article no doubt

stewart38
15th-December-2005, 01:06 PM
I didn't see the ES article, but was interested enough to find it:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/londoncuts/articles/21186117?source=Evening%20Standard

for anyone else who missed it :) (click on London's hot dance spots within that article for the what to wear bits :rolleyes: - no comment)

Thanks for finding it, I think comment like below for Jive/ceroc defeats the purpose of the article.

----------------------

What to wear Circular Peggy Sue-style 1950s skirts for the girls and Bugsy Malone-style suits and spats for the boys.

----------------------

LMC
15th-December-2005, 01:15 PM
Agree that's offputting - luckily, circular skirts are trendy, but how many guys own Bugsy suits & spats ***? :mad: - and it's guys we need more of, but that's a whole other argument :na:

Feelingpink
15th-December-2005, 01:16 PM
It doesnt 'suggest' it states thats what people wear putting of a few 1000s who read the article no doubtEither way, I've just emailed the news desk pointing out that their "suggestion" is somewhat inaccurate and suggesting that the author of the main story on the page should write about going to an MJ night (although I'm sure that's been done before) or they could pop on this forum to ask what to wear.

So what would we recommend for feeling part of the crowd? Black for the guys and sparklies for the girls?

LMC
15th-December-2005, 01:18 PM
I don't "do" sparkles and won't until I've lost a few more pounds - black for the girls as well :D

DavidB
15th-December-2005, 02:08 PM
Either way, I've just emailed the news desk pointing out that their "suggestion" is somewhat inaccurate and suggesting that the author of the main story on the page should write about going to an MJ night (although I'm sure that's been done before) or they could pop on this forum to ask what to wear. Better hope they don't assume that everyone dresses like the DJs:
"The dress for men appears to be an intriguing mix of paisley hats, LOUD Hawaiian shirts, old cardigans and leather kilts."

ducasi
15th-December-2005, 02:18 PM
Thanks for finding it, I think comment like below for Jive/ceroc defeats the purpose of the article.

----------------------

What to wear Circular Peggy Sue-style 1950s skirts for the girls and Bugsy Malone-style suits and spats for the boys.

----------------------
I don't think they were being entirely serious... E.g., for salsa... "Ladies: skimpy, with ruffled skirts. Men: should be in black with slicked-back hair."

Oh, and what was the purpose of the article?

Feelingpink
15th-December-2005, 02:28 PM
Better hope they don't assume that everyone dresses like the DJs:
"The dress for men appears to be an intriguing mix of paisley hats, LOUD Hawaiian shirts, old cardigans and leather kilts."Preferably all worn at the same time.

Feelingpink
15th-December-2005, 02:29 PM
I don't think they were being entirely serious... E.g., for salsa... "Ladies: skimpy, with ruffled skirts. Men: should be in black with slicked-back hair."

Oh, and what was the purpose of the article?An excuse to have a dance with Anton DB. :devil:

stewart38
15th-December-2005, 03:10 PM

Oh, and what was the purpose of the article?

The whole article is about dancing and where to find it

I think they were serious

ducasi
15th-December-2005, 03:19 PM
The whole article is about dancing and where to find it

I think they were serious
That might be what the article was about, but I don't think that was the purpose. I think the purpose was to entertain, to sell more newspapers, to sell more advertising...

See, the purpose, as far as the reader is concerned, is to entertain. It's not to get more people to try Ceroc or any other kind of dance. That would be up to the dance companies, who could advertise in the newspapers. Hey – it all fits together!

Were they serious? "Tango: Skirt slit to the thigh. Rose optional." I detect a tongue in a cheek...

Rhythm King
15th-December-2005, 06:14 PM
I don't know, Feelingpink tries to start a sensible thread and everyone goes off at a tangent as usual :rolleyes: Anyway I don't think dogs make good dance partners, after all they've got two left feet....

David Bailey
15th-December-2005, 08:56 PM
That might be what the article was about, but I don't think that was the purpose. I think the purpose was to entertain, to sell more newspapers, to sell more advertising...

See, the purpose, as far as the reader is concerned, is to entertain. It's not to get more people to try Ceroc or any other kind of dance. That would be up to the dance companies, who could advertise in the newspapers. Hey – it all fits together!

Were they serious? "Tango: Skirt slit to the thigh. Rose optional." I detect a tongue in a cheek...
I think you're right - the author sounds reasonably authoritative (e.g. getting both MJ and Ceroc well-defined, difference salsa styles, difficulty of learning AT, etc.) that it's difficult to believe the dress code stuff. In fact, the non-dress-code stuff reads like it was written by a forumite to me.

Although then again, the author did call Hammersmith the happening place in London for MJ, so who knows :devil: