PDA

View Full Version : Dance shoe shops - Hemel or Central London

JonD
12th-December-2005, 05:37 PM
A friend of mine, who started dancing in September, has just had a fairly major operation on her feet. Her consultant says that she's making an amazing recovery and can start dancing again in January but recommends that she buys some dance trainers. She wants to try some different types on to see what's best and if the split-sole will cause a problem. I suggested that adding a stiff insole might help give her feet a little more support (I don't think she'll be doing extreme pointy toes for a while yet). If anyone can speak from experience on what might be best your thoughts would be really welcome.

From what she said, I think she'll catch Kingdom of Dance at Chesham fairly soon which may solve the problem. In case it doesn't, can anyone recommend a shop where she could try on a variety of styles? She lives near Hemel and works in the City.

Thanks

Jon

LMC
12th-December-2005, 05:47 PM
In order of personal recommendation:

The Bloch shop is at 35 Drury Lane - halfway between Covent Garden (Piccadilly) and Holborn tube stations (Piccadilly/Central) - and has a good selection (my office is just around the corner from there :waycool: ). Also on Drury Lane is Dance International - don't trust them with special order stuff (*gags self*) but they do seem to know their stuff - and IIRC, trainers are cheaper in there.

There is another dance shop near whichever theatre the Mousetrap is playing in - I think it's the Freed shop, but it seemed to be mainly ballet stuff.

TiggsTours
12th-December-2005, 06:29 PM
Dance trainers with split soles may not be the best answer for her, as her feet may still be weak.

An alternative is to buy a pair of normal trainers, that will support her feet fully, or take an old pair she is used to wearing. With these she has 2 options:

Take the trainers to a shoe repair centre and ask them to put suede soles on. She may need to argue this out, some places don't like to do it, as they don't think it will work. She will need to agree that she will take full responsibility if it doesn't work, and still pay, but don't worry, it always works.
Buy some suede fabric and some superglue, stick the sole of the trainer to the suede fabric, then cut round the trainer.

Either of these options will give her the most comfortable dance shoe, with full support of the whole foot, imaginable!

Missy D
13th-December-2005, 10:06 AM
Dance trainers with split soles may not be the best answer for her, as her feet may still be weak.

An alternative is to buy a pair of normal trainers, that will support her feet fully, or take an old pair she is used to wearing. With these she has 2 options:

Take the trainers to a shoe repair centre and ask them to put suede soles on. She may need to argue this out, some places don't like to do it, as they don't think it will work. She will need to agree that she will take full responsibility if it doesn't work, and still pay, but don't worry, it always works.
Buy some suede fabric and some superglue, stick the sole of the trainer to the suede fabric, then cut round the trainer.

Either of these options will give her the most comfortable dance shoe, with full support of the whole foot, imaginable!

:yeah: plus Heavenly Dance Shoes near Watford. I dont even know i am wearing my shoes. They make them to your specification, widths, heels, colours etc,.

5 Station Approach
South Oxhey
Watford
0208 428 2006

They have a website and you could order online but i recommend you go there but, take a pack lunch and there is so much choice.

Its right opposite the train station and they can make them in a few days. They do trainers too.:clap:

clevedonboy
13th-December-2005, 11:18 AM

Totally agree - I can't get on with them as they don't support my arches. Maybe a pair of shoes with very low heels - a la Bleyer Boogie Woogies.

BTW the Kingdom of Dance store is less than an hour from Hemel and you may have the pleasure of chatting to Emma (littleemc-central) into the bargain.

I must admit that I'm tempted to go to Heavenly for my next pair of shoes though

David Franklin
13th-December-2005, 11:33 AM
There is another dance shop near whichever theatre the Mousetrap is playing in - I think it's the Freed shop, but it seemed to be mainly ballet stuff.The Freed shop is on St Martin's Lane, so I think it's the one you have in mind. They have a pretty good range of ballroom/latin shoes, but I'm not sure they do much in the way of trainers. I've always found they're actually very good if you need advice etc., though the shop looks a bit intimidating from the outside!

I'd agree with everyone doubting the wisdom of split-sole dance trainers - I find they put a lot of strain on the foot and don't offer much support. (The stealth/low-profile ones are a lot better than the standard design, but still not great).

KatieR
13th-December-2005, 12:18 PM
The Freed shop is on St Martin's Lane, so I think it's the one you have in mind. They have a pretty good range of ballroom/latin shoes, but I'm not sure they do much in the way of trainers. I've always found they're actually very good if you need advice etc., though the shop looks a bit intimidating from the outside!

I was there the other day and Im pretty sure they dont stock trainers. They dont have a huge range of sparkly shoes but they have excellent leather practice shoes/WCS style shoes. About £60 a pair. Expensive but fantastic shoes. Lots of support but still flexible enough to allow heaps of movement.

Minnie M
18th-December-2005, 01:23 AM
I just found this 'on-line' shoe site and the prices seem cheaper that the stalls at the dances and a better choice :clap: :-

http://www.thedancersshop.co.uk/acatalog/dance_footwear.html