PDA

View Full Version : The role of a Taxi dancer

stewart38
12th-December-2005, 01:19 PM
I always thought the Taxi dancer should encourage 'beginners' with dance /style/ technique etc

An individual who I know who went twice to ceroc, was told on the first time

Her nails were too long

The 2nd time that she was lets say

Showing too much cleavage

Now I know a number of women I dance with who have long nails ,its only a problem if they dig them in

Unless the women is half naked does the Taxis dancer have a right to tell what a newbie should or shouldn’t wear (I’m not talking about foot wear etc)

She didn’t go back for the third time which is kind of sad :sad:

Lou
12th-December-2005, 02:38 PM

Unless the women is half naked does the Taxis dancer have a right to tell what a newbie should or shouldn’t wear (I’m not talking about foot wear etc)
What about those of us who can't help showing cleavage, no matter what we put on? :rolleyes:

Maybe, as part of the taxi training course, there should be a section on fashion advice (if there isn't already). Hey - perhaps Bigdjiver could campaign to get Ceroc™ featured on What Not To Wear. That'd raise the profile...

TiggsTours
12th-December-2005, 06:33 PM
I always thought the Taxi dancer should encourage 'beginners' with dance /style/ technique etc

Her nails were too long

Now I know a number of women I dance with who have long nails ,its only a problem if they dig them in

Absolutely not! This is disgraceful behaviour!

I sometimes mention footwear to women, especially in summer, but only in as much to point out the safety aspect of wearing flip-flops, and sandals that come off too easily!

As with the nails, I have longish nails, but I know I can't have them too long because of dancing, a beginner wouldn't know this, and why should they be made to choose between long nails or dancing so soon! All that needs to be pointed out is that, due to her nails, it is even more important that she keeps a looser grip, and keeps them well out of harms way!

ChrisA
12th-December-2005, 06:37 PM
Absolutely not! This is disgraceful behaviour!

Of course it is. Telling a woman she's dressed too revealingly????

If it's a male taxi dancer, he's obviously insane. :whistle:

Edit: On reflection, of course there might be exceptions... I think we need some more info from S38 :devil:

TiggsTours
12th-December-2005, 06:45 PM
Of course it is. Telling a woman she's dressed too revealingly????

If it's a male taxi dancer, he's obviously insane. :whistle:

Edit: On reflection, of course there might be exceptions... I think we need some more info from S38 :devil:
True. I did once tell a man that perhaps his Spearmint Rhino T-Shirt wasn't quite the right thing to wear when he was going to be in close holds with women he'd never met before!

El Salsero Gringo
12th-December-2005, 07:06 PM
Absolutely not! This is disgraceful behaviour!Quite right. He or she should be boiled alive in hot oil.

(Say, it wasn't at Stevenage, was it? I hear they have some pretty ropey taxi-dancers over there.)

David Bailey
12th-December-2005, 08:04 PM
What about those of us who can't help showing cleavage, no matter what we put on? :rolleyes:
Yeah, I know what that's like, I got told off last week for displaying my man-boobs on stage. :sad:

ducasi
12th-December-2005, 08:27 PM
"This thread is no use without pictures" :D

WittyBird
12th-December-2005, 08:52 PM
Yeah, I know what that's like, I got told off last week for displaying my man-boobs on stage. :sad:
:rofl: *gags self and returns to cupboard*

Piglet
13th-December-2005, 12:24 AM
:rofl: *gags self and returns to cupboard*
WB - methinks that your PC/laptop is maybe hiding in that cupboard with you!

I've never heard any taxi dancers up here make comments to beginners about clothes or nails. Not sure how I would have taken a comment like that back in those good old days - mind you I'd be overjoyed to be told my nails were too long (like that's ever gonna happen!) Was it a female taxi dancer by any chance? - I ask cos I can't see how a male taxi dancer would have complained about cleavage being on show... hmmmmmm.

Night Owl
13th-December-2005, 12:33 AM
:

well thats my interpretation of a taxi roll ,not my place to comment on dress sense or nail lenth etc tho i did ask a young lady to remove her scarf before she got choked by it but that was a safety measure nothing else

WittyBird
13th-December-2005, 12:37 AM
I never give comments like that. :what: I try and give people confidence and also a reason to return :eek:

LMC
13th-December-2005, 09:49 AM
Fortunately Stewart38 has never been to Stevenage, so not guilty on this occasion. ESG... so funny.

I would have thought that it really depends on *how* the criticism was delivered. Telling someone abruptly in a "parental" kind of way that their nails are too long without any explanation of why long nails are a Bad Thing is bound to be offensive. Perhaps the taxi that Stewart is referring to needs to learn some tact. Believe it or not, I can do tact - I just don't always choose to...

David Bailey
13th-December-2005, 10:03 AM
I would have thought that it really depends on *how* the criticism was delivered. Telling someone abruptly in a "parental" kind of way that their nails are too long without any explanation of why long nails are a Bad Thing is bound to be offensive.
The nails thing is a practical point, as beginners can cause serious pain by DeathGripping.

So in the same way that you might advise a beginner to avoid wearing 5" stilettos, and for the same reasons, it's reasonably legit for a taxi to offer "health and safety" type advice, as long as it's done in a constructive way.

But yeah, the cleavage thing is none of the taxi's business.

LMC
13th-December-2005, 10:10 AM
... as long as it's done in a constructive way.
That was what I meant by "how" the advice is offered. Guys sometimes have over-long nails too and seem to be even more sensitive about being told about them :rolleyes:

David Franklin
13th-December-2005, 10:37 AM
The nails thing is a practical point, as beginners can cause serious pain by DeathGripping.

But yeah, the cleavage thing is none of the taxi's business.Well, I can see two "practical" points. Some garments do leave a risk of accidental exposure! (cough ... Lilia's outfit ... cough). And an outfit that's "appropriate" for normal wear might not be so when viewed in close dance position by a taller man. Tactfully warning someone of these issues is left as an exercise for the student.

stewart38
13th-December-2005, 10:57 AM
Im meeting the lady in question on Thursday

I do find (IF its true as she has said) annoying . Its a local club to me.

Hope to encourage her to come back.

David Bailey
13th-December-2005, 11:27 AM
Well, I can see two... points.
:eek: :whistle:

Yeah, OK - but really I think this type of "what to wear" advice is maybe a bit over the line - I mean, blimey, where do you stop, you'll be telling them what lipstick to wear soon.

Wardrobe malfunctions aren't really health and safety, and I think it's not really up to the taxi to comment on that area, it's just too much of a minefield.

Stewart, if it's the club I'm thinking of, bear in mind that a certain Tramp-like person may be visiting, I'm sure he'll advise on whether the lady in question shows too much cleavage. :innocent:

David Franklin
13th-December-2005, 11:42 AM
:eek: :whistle: God, some people just look for any opportunity to quote people out of context in order to get a cheap laugh, don't they... :wink:

Yeah, OK - but really I think this type of "what to wear" advice is maybe a bit over the line - I mean, blimey, where do you stop, you'll be telling them what lipstick to wear soon.Lipstick? They mustn't wear lipstick! It might make marks on the man's shirt! :eek:

Wardrobe malfunctions aren't really health and safety, and I think it's not really up to the taxi to comment on that area, it's just too much of a minefield.Disagree. I think it would have to be clearcut, rather than marginal, but if, say, you're getting your hand tangled in frondy bits every time you do a first move, or getting a full view of, um, two points every time you do a basket, I think you need to say something. (Or get the female taxi to make some general comments about suitable clothing - I grant you this is a lot safer...).

LMC
13th-December-2005, 11:48 AM
I thought of posting about making a general comment about clothing in the review class. But since I was also going to post that I'd blame the men's embarrassment/inability not to peek for the recommendation not to wear low-cut tops

hang on a second...

foxylady
13th-December-2005, 12:00 PM
IMHO any woman who wears a low cut top, and is then offended/surprised when a man (or woman) 'admires' her cleavage is living in cloud cuckoo land... If you put it on show its going to get looked at (at dancing, anywhere, whatever)... As to tellling someone that they shouldn't be 'flaunting' themselves, well that smacks of cloud cuckoo land too....

Flaunt away I say !!

There is obviously an inappropriate level of appreciation (touching, burying ones head in them...blah blah blah ), but that goes along with the general warnings of it being the whole human race out there, and one will get a smattering of 'pervs' everywhere...

CeeCee
13th-December-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Stewart38
An individual who I know who went twice to ceroc, was told on the first time...

The 2nd time that she was...

She didn’t go back for the third time...
I'm not surprised she didn't go back.
I just hope you can persuade her to pluck up the courage to try again, another time perhaps another venue so that she can get on with learning to dance and having some fun.

Originally posted by Stewart38
does the Taxis dancer have a right to tell what a newbie should or shouldn’t wear

Nope!

ChrisA
13th-December-2005, 01:27 PM
And an outfit that's "appropriate" for normal wear might not be so when viewed in close dance position by a taller man.
Erm, reality check here...

Are there any girls out there that aren't perfectly well aware of what can be seen and what can't by a guy of any height? :confused: :confused:

Flaunt away I say !!

[ Austin Powers]Yeah, baby, yeah[ / Austin Powers]

Gadget
13th-December-2005, 01:58 PM
...I'm sure he'll advise on whether the lady in question shows too much cleavage. :innocent:
Just curious... is there such a thing as "too much cleavage"?

David Franklin
13th-December-2005, 02:02 PM
Erm, reality check here...

Are there any girls out there that aren't perfectly well aware of what can be seen and what can't by a guy of any height? :confused: :confused:Back in "ye olde" days at the Central Club, it wasn't that uncommon to find people wearing totally inappropriate clothing (think too loose, rather than too tight). And I may be naive, but they didn't seem the types to have done it intentionally.

David Bailey
13th-December-2005, 02:54 PM
I dunno, but I feel it requires serious field research to determine the facts of the matter, preferably government-sponsored.

The nation must be told!

LMC
13th-December-2005, 02:57 PM
As long as there's no such thing as "not enough cleavage" ( :tears: ) - does it matter?

Gadget
13th-December-2005, 06:57 PM
Not really, but it is worth looking into :innocent:

Jeremy
14th-December-2005, 04:13 AM

Sounds like a good topic for a poll ...

David Bailey
14th-December-2005, 09:09 AM
Anyway, back to the original topic, I've changed my mind.

I don't think the taxi should ever cromment on any aspect of someone's dress or appearance, including nail size, heels, etc.

I do still think it's just about permissible to (if done correctly) to emphasize various aspects of dance etiquette based on particular clothing - for example:
- It's very important to have a loose hand-hold (for long nails)
- Don't step on anyone's feet (if wearing stilettoes)

But that's all.

ducasi
14th-December-2005, 10:08 AM
... I don't think the taxi should ever cromment ...
Are they allowed to comment? :wink:

LMC
14th-December-2005, 10:11 AM
Ignoring ducasi channelling DJ there...

Thinking about it, I agree with DJ on the appearance/dress - I don't think I'd be comfortable talking about it in any more than general terms in a review class. If someone was hurting me with long nails, I'd address the handhold issue rather than the nails issue.

David Franklin
14th-December-2005, 10:15 AM
I don't think the taxi should ever cromment[Robert E Howard]
Well, unless they're Conan the Barbarian, of course...
[/Robert E Howard]

Joking aside, a similar discussion (http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=11014) about costumes has been going on on www.dance-forums.com with a slightly different consensus. E.g.

I would tell one of the female teachers and have her discreetly mention the issue to the woman. One of the teachers at my studio told me how to improve the "bra" part of my dress and I really appreciated her taking the time to help me.

Lynn
14th-December-2005, 11:20 AM
Joking aside, a similar discussion (http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=11014) about costumes has been going on on www.dance-forums.com (http://www.dance-forums.com) with a slightly different consensus. E.g.I just took a really quick peek at that but I think it was referring to someone who was an experienced dancer? I think the issue here is someone being told things about their outfit or nails etc when in their first few weeks of dancing, or maybe even their first night. I agree most dancers would probably want to be told if their clothing was too revealing and they weren't aware of it - but this is in context of beginners being told by taxis.

Comments like that are usually taken personally. Someone who might be willing to accept a comment about their dancing when they are just starting, might not be so accepting of a comment about their dress sense.

Petal
14th-December-2005, 12:08 PM

Her nails were too long

Comments on the way people dress are out of order, the long nails i would say is a safety issue (men or women), and when you're new and nervous you tend to dig them in. I've never told someone their nails were too long, i'd rather comment on relaxing the hand grip etc and as for dress i'd say nothing unless it was about suitable shoes if they asked me.

Petal
14th-December-2005, 12:13 PM
Disagree. but if, say, you're getting your hand tangled in frondy bits every time you do a first move, or getting a full view of, um, two points every time you do a basket, I think you need to say something. (Or get the female taxi to make some general comments about suitable clothing - I grant you this is a lot safer...).

.... or maybe you should look into her eyes instead of down there!:rolleyes:

ChrisA
14th-December-2005, 12:53 PM
I don't think the taxi should ever cromment on any aspect of someone's dress or appearance, including nail size, heels, etc.

If she's wearing dangerous rings I'll quite often comment.

I've had enough lacerations in my time from sharp bits on rings to have absolutely no hesitation whatsoever if I think a lady's rings are dangerous.

Particularly if they're on her right hand, my comments have ranged from something fairly low-key if the sharp bits are avoidable with care, but sometimes I've asked her directly to take them off or put them on the other hand.

I've never thought blood and dancing were a pleasant combination.

paul stevo
14th-December-2005, 02:58 PM
About 3/4 weeks ago I said to a lady doing her first lesson "Maybe you`d find it easier if you took your handbag off your shoulder !!!" lmao

I think taxi`s need to use their own common sense in talking to beginners.....though this means picking taxi`s with common sense and not just using "shirt fillers".

TiggsTours
14th-December-2005, 03:06 PM
If she's wearing dangerous rings I'll quite often comment.

I've had enough lacerations in my time from sharp bits on rings to have absolutely no hesitation whatsoever if I think a lady's rings are dangerous.

Particularly if they're on her right hand, my comments have ranged from something fairly low-key if the sharp bits are avoidable with care, but sometimes I've asked her directly to take them off or put them on the other hand.

I've never thought blood and dancing were a pleasant combination.
I know of someone who had to have stitches from a dangerous charm bracelet, complete with anchor!

Some things do need to be commented on, but it needs to be done for the right reason, and in the right way.

Lynn
14th-December-2005, 03:08 PM
Some things do need to be commented on, but it needs to be done for the right reason, and in the right way.:yeah:
How you say it is very important!

dee
14th-December-2005, 03:40 PM
Quote me if i'm wrong and all that, but i thought all the taxi dancers T-shirts were all round necks? :confused:

s for the nails, i do tend to keep mine short as i have danced with lots of men that dig their's in and i know how it feels :mad:

Rhythm King
14th-December-2005, 04:25 PM
Further to Chris A's post when I was a taxi, I have commented to ladies about dangerous items, such as those sharp curved dagger-like hair grips, having been injured by them in the past. I made a point of doing so as politely as possible and the ladies in question, said in return that they wouldn't have thought of it themselves and seemed grateful for the advice. We also had a policy of taxis of the same sex dropping polite, but increasingly less subtle, hints to inveterate stinkers.

CeeCee
14th-December-2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Rhythm King
I have commented to ladies about dangerous items, such as those sharp curved dagger-like hair grips, having been injured by them in the past…

Originally posted by TiggsTours
I know of someone who had to have stitches from a dangerous charm bracelet, complete with anchor!

Sounds painful.

It reminds me of a few months ago when I danced with a lady in a beginners’ class. At the end of her spin my forearm was scratched by her bunch of car and house keys, which were hanging from her wrist. I was surprised how much they hurt, ouch.

There was no persuading her to put them elsewhere because she was worried about their safety.

bigdjiver
14th-December-2005, 09:42 PM
It is generally advisable not to make personal adverse comments. (Mea culpa) It is better to have such things discussed as general comments by the teacher to the class, or in the review class. We had such an instance in my local venue, when the venue manager prompted to issue a hygiene warning, obviously following a report or personal experience. Other ways to tackle the problem are to personalise it to yourself - "Sorry, did I hurt you with my nails?" "Sorry if my breathe smell of mouthwash." or to praise others "I love dancing with her, she always smells like springtime.".

bigdjiver
15th-December-2005, 11:19 AM
The only time I always give immediate negative feedback is for reasons of safety.

I have just been reading about a Ceroc Taxi Dancer allegedly stopping a dance with a lady to deliver unspecified criticism. It has not gone down too well, as might be expected, but particularly so as she teaches for that organisation. If there are any Taxi dancers that "resemble that remark" I suggest that they consult their forum, if they have not already done so.

El Salsero Gringo
15th-December-2005, 11:29 AM
... a smattering of 'pervs' everywhere...Not that I'm trying to hijack this ever-so-worthy thread or anything, but is that the correct collective noun? (A smattering of pervs ... a smattering of pervs ...)

David Bailey
15th-December-2005, 11:58 AM
Not that I'm trying to hijack this ever-so-worthy thread or anything, but is that the correct collective noun? (A smattering of pervs ... a smattering of pervs ...)
A splattering of pervs? :innocent:

El Salsero Gringo
15th-December-2005, 12:19 PM
A splattering of pervs? :innocent:The best I can come up with is "a grope of pervs".

David Bailey
15th-December-2005, 12:31 PM
The best I can come up with is "a grope of pervs".
A Pride of Loins?

CeeCee
15th-December-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by DavidJames
A splattering of pervs?

Originally posted by El Salsero Gringo
"a grope of pervs".
Ah the amusing subject of nouns of assemblage, I’m sure both of your suggestions are worthy of common usage.

I mean, whoever came up with ‘a murder of crows’ ‘a pontification of priests’ or ‘a drunkenship of cobblers’?

Rhythm King
15th-December-2005, 04:15 PM
Ah the amusing subject of nouns of assemblage, I’m sure both of your suggestions are worthy of common usage.

I mean, whoever came up with ‘a murder of crows’ ‘a pontification of priests’ or ‘a drunkenship of cobblers’?

I quite like "a mob of meerkats", which was invoked in a tv documentary earlier in the week.

Stuart M
15th-December-2005, 05:21 PM
I'm relieved that no-one has yet floated the idea of 'a rank of taxi dancers', given the thread's original subject...

D'oh!

Rhythm King
15th-December-2005, 06:24 PM
I'm relieved that no-one has yet floated the idea of 'a rank of taxi dancers', given the thread's original subject...

D'oh!
:yeah:
One would hope that taxi dancers would pay sufficient attention to their personal hygiene so as not to be rank!:whistle:

Whitebeard
15th-December-2005, 08:49 PM
A splattering of pervs?

A rummage of pervs?

El Salsero Gringo
15th-December-2005, 09:29 PM
A rummage of pervs?I think you'll find it's actually a 'rummage of foxes' - particularly the silver ones.

WittyBird
15th-December-2005, 09:31 PM
I think you'll find it's actually a 'rummage of foxes' - particularly the silver ones.
:rofl:

Whitebeard
15th-December-2005, 11:53 PM
I think you'll find it's actually a 'rummage of foxes' - particularly the silver ones.

I defer to superior knowledge. My local experience has not included observation of the oh so snakilly slippery silverfox.

stewart38
16th-December-2005, 01:17 PM
I'm not surprised she didn't go back.
I just hope you can persuade her to pluck up the courage to try again, another time perhaps another venue so that she can get on with learning to dance and having some fun.

Nope!

Spoke to her last night (face to face so too speak)

She also said her male friend of 3 yrs was told what he was doing was wrong

I have to believe her and I think i know the lady Taxi dancer in question , i just hope all joking aside its not a major issue across UK

I joked with her ,was she asked to cut her hair ,she said no , thank god for that

she did say the Taxi dancer in question was very plain but not sure if thats relevant (she certainly is not !)

CeeCee
16th-December-2005, 03:15 PM
originally posted by DavidJames
A Pride of Loins?

Brilliant!

originally posted by Stewart M
'a rank of taxi dancers',
this is great, surprised we don’t already use it

originally posted by Whitebeard
A rummage of pervs?
Perfect!

originally posted by El Salsero Gringo
I think you'll find it's actually a 'rummage of foxes' - particularly the silver ones.Oh well done!

Just more examples of why I registered on the Forum, the humour and sharp wit just crack me up. Thanks to so many of you for making me laugh.

Lee
16th-December-2005, 03:32 PM
Anyway, back to the original topic, I've changed my mind.

I do still think it's just about permissible to (if done correctly) to emphasize various aspects of dance etiquette based on particular clothing - for example:
- It's very important to have a loose hand-hold (for long nails)
- Don't step on anyone's feet (if wearing stilettoes)

But that's all.

Yer, back to the original topic.

I agree, you can use you experience as a dancer to advise new people, but i'd be surprised if 'Ceroc Management' would be happy learning people were not returning because of an over eager taxi offering advice.

Do taxis get any formal training, or just sent a word document with instructions?

If there is ever an issue with understanding the role of a taxi dancer just ask them to show you a copy of their 'job descripion summary'.

On the flips side though, I ice skate quite alot, and you are told you can not wear hats on the ice nor tie coats of jumpers etc round your waist for safety reasons (not sure whats unsafe about the hats though).

So maybe ceroc (if they think it could injure people) could advise people about wearing rings etc, but not about showing too much cleavage. :rofl: :rofl: I doubt it was done ill natured though.

Lee

dee
19th-December-2005, 02:32 PM

Oh yes please :yum: :rofl: :rofl:

Missy D
19th-December-2005, 06:19 PM

:drool: