PDA

View Full Version : How to write a forum Post: a beginners guide

El Salsero Gringo
9th-December-2005, 02:08 PM
(Shamelessly ripped off The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk), but I see an application here too...)

How to write a flame:
Leave your reason at the door. You must NOT have any form of conventional logic in your flame. If you're thinking then you're not writing a flame. This is possibly the hardest aspect of producing a flame and that is why we start with it. Unless you are suffering from a mental illness, you will have spent most of your life following a complex set of social rules. These are a hindrance when attempting a flame. You must create your own world and speak from there. There is no single way to do this, although tired and tested methods include illegal drug intake, sleep deprivation, compulsive masturbation and listening to Marilyn Manson.
Don't make it too long. This is an immediate signal that some form of reasoning is going on. A true flamer has at most three paragraphs in him/her before the sheer fury and hatred overcomes them and they pass out on their keyboard - hitting the send button with their forehead.
Pick a story to rant about but for God's sake don't read anymore than the first paragraph. And don't read this very carefully either. There are jokes and smatterings of sarcasm and irony in Register stories but these aren't for you. Everything you (don't) read is the literal truth as we see it. Once you haven't grasped the story you can start to twist the words into whatever makes you most angry.
Tie in your hatreds/prejudices. This goes with the previous point. Remember, a flame is not about responding to a story - it is merely the vehicle by which you can tell the world what's wrong with it. You must however pay the story lip service before you start to explain why kids/dogs/indians/brits/women/socks are the most useless and evil thing in existence.
For god's sake, don't start using correct grammar. Apostrophes, capital letters, full stops do not exist in your world. And why spell a word correctly when you can write it phonetically and still get the meaning across? If possible, try to make the flame one long sentence (this is not to be attempted by first-time flamers though). Also, try to write the flame as fast as possible and you'll find many mistakes just create themselves.
Be deeply and personally abusive to the person you're writing to. Try to imagine them sleeping with your partner and laughing at you at the same time. Use all the blind hatred that the government has piled into you to help it start a war - for example, repeating the word Saddam or Slobodan or commie over and over again, louder and louder. Then throw out whatever comes into your head.
Word of warning: don't use too many swear words. Odd one this, but while true flamers will not let a sentence slip past without at least one profanity, imitators put in too many. You see, the flamer will - somewhere deep deep down - have a point to make. Swear words are only to be used when the struggle to explain just how wrong the world is becomes too much to bear and a good "f**k" relieves the pressure in their skulls - briefly.
Do not reread your flame. Tell yourself you will send it as soon as you think you have finished. This will give you the element of spontaneity and will not give your rational mind time to interject.
Celebrate a successful flame by killing something. Many compulsive flamers keep a jar of insects next to their desk just for this reason.

EDIT: actually, the more I read this, the more I realise that Stewart38 is way ahead of the pack here. Keep it up, 'bro.

doc martin
9th-December-2005, 02:16 PM
I would like to stand up for Stewart38 here. I do not believe he listens to Marilyn Manson. There, I've said and I'm prepared to stand by it (unless Stewart38 tells me different).

LMC
9th-December-2005, 02:31 PM
...A true flamer has at most three paragraphs in him/her ...
A true flamer does not use paragraphs.

Anyone recognise ESG... (http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/warriorshtm/enfantprovocateur.htm) ? :devil:

David Bailey
9th-December-2005, 02:35 PM
How To Be a Pedant: compulsively examine every post in great detail, then point out some trivial grammatical error in it.

For example:

tired and tested methods
For god's sake, don't start using correct grammar.

:na:

Oh, and

Pick a story to rant about but for God's sake don't read anymore than the first paragraph.

OK, I'll hold my hand up to being guilty of this one. It's great fun though. :blush:

Anyone recognise ESG... (http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/warriorshtm/enfantprovocateur.htm) ? :devil:
"This species of Flame Warrior is almost always young and male - it could be just a hormone thing."
"Young? :whistle:

El Salsero Gringo
9th-December-2005, 02:39 PM
Anyone recognise ESG... (http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/warriorshtm/enfantprovocateur.htm) ? :devil:Cute ass.

killingtime
10th-December-2005, 03:11 AM
Blah blah

im sick of hearing marilyn manson being blamed for evrything and only an ass would try and blame him for it all anyway Its to be expected though you cant ceroc to marilyn manson and everyone here is bound to hate him.

El Salsero Gringo
10th-December-2005, 10:09 AM
im sick of hearing marilyn manson being blamed for evrything and only an ass would try and blame him for it all anyway Its to be expected though you cant ceroc to marilyn manson and everyone here is bound to hate him.Um... that's not bad for a first effort, but I think you need to up the invective a bit, and what was that full-stop doing there at the end?

Lory
10th-December-2005, 10:14 AM
im sick of hearing marilyn manson
:yeah: I couldn't agree moor

:whistle:

Tiggerbabe
10th-December-2005, 10:22 AM
you cant ceroc to marilyn manson
Next time I'm in Edinburgh I'll bring "Personal Jesus" along for the beginners class :whistle:

The question is more would you want to ceroc to Marilyn Manson? :wink: :D

killingtime
10th-December-2005, 04:48 PM
The question is more would you want to ceroc to Marilyn Manson? :wink: :D

cos hes cool and everyone should own all his albums and anyone who doesnt likes steps and...

Oh; I can't do this. It actually felt a certain mental exhaustion from actually making that last post. I'm not cut out for this flaming thing. Maybe trolling would be a better role for me. So about that Basket footwork :wink:...

I've got a couple of Marilyn Manson albums and I like a few of his songs, now, even after I left my teenage angst years behind. As for Cerocing to it... it might be amusing :D.

clevedonboy
11th-December-2005, 12:36 PM
Maybe trolling would be a better role for me. So about that Basket footwork :wink:...

It's simple - rock step triple step triple step (L R LRL RLR for men) at least that's the PROPER way to do it (good fun this Troll thing - easier than flaming)

CeeCee
11th-December-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by El Salsero Gringo
Leave your reason at the door…

Don't make it too long…

Pick a story to rant about…

Tie in your hatreds/prejudices…

For god's sake, don't start using correct grammar…

Be deeply and personally abusive to the person you're writing to…

Word of warning: don't use too many swear words…

Do not reread your flame…

Celebrate a successful flame by killing something…

Long posts make me want to weep, so I’m learning to skim read. Is this all the info I need or am I missing something?