PDA

View Full Version : METRO scotland

Dreadful Scathe
30th-January-2003, 10:37 AM
I got a letter published in todays METRO mentioning the merits of ceroc/jive with a link to this site. Hopefully there will be a massive upsurge of people,10 new venues will follow and Franck will mostly administer the forum from a new massive second home in the South of France. (mind you, maybe he already has one !? :))

Franck
30th-January-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
I got a letter published in todays METRO mentioning the merits of ceroc/jive with a link to this site. Hopefully there will be a massive upsurge of people,10 new venues will follow and Franck will mostly administer the forum from a new massive second home in the South of France. (mind you, maybe he already has one !? :)) Excellent stuff DS, and thanks for taking the trouble to write to the METRO... :nice:
I'll keep an eye on the website traffic and hopefully we'll get even more new members soon!

As for the other 10 venues, well, they are already in the pipeline :D
Now that Perth is open, Stirling is next followed by another 2 nights (details to be revealed in due time).

However, no second home in Southern France, it's far too hot down there, I much prefer the Scottish climate :waycool:

Franck.

P.S. I am off to update the website now! :nice:

TheTramp
30th-January-2003, 10:52 AM
Good job DS.

So, do we get to see what your letter says then?? (Those of us who aren't quite in the Scotland Metro circulation area!!).

Steve

Dave Hancock
30th-January-2003, 11:15 AM
Congratulations from up here as well DS, but like Steve I don't think the Metro is published up in Aberdeen so it would be nice if you published your letter on the forum.

Think if everyone made as much effort then Ceroc would be even bigger and better than it already is in Scotland, although I only hope that your article appeals to members of both sexes as we seem to have been swamped by a disproportionately high number of extra ladies joining since Xmas and it seems to be the norm since then to have about 20 ladies moving round at a time which must be both disappointing and tougher for them to learn the moves when they have to stand out so much during classes.

PeterL
30th-January-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Dave Hancock
we seem to have been swamped by a disproportionately high number of extra ladies joining since Xmas and it seems to be the norm since then to have about 20 ladies moving round at a time.

Why oh why did I ever leave Aberdeen???;) ;)

Dreadful Scathe
31st-January-2003, 09:00 AM
yesterdays metro

:)

TheTramp
31st-January-2003, 09:03 AM
And if you go, do you get to meet Pete Sloss???

Cos that'd make me wanna go sooooo bad :D

Steve

Sandy
31st-January-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Dave Hancock

Think if everyone made as much effort then Ceroc would be even bigger and better than it already is in Scotland, although I only hope that your article appeals to members of both sexes as we seem to have been swamped by a disproportionately high number of extra ladies joining since Xmas and it seems to be the norm since then to have about 20 ladies moving round at a time which must be both disappointing and tougher for them to learn the moves when they have to stand out so much during classes.

Good point Dave. The Aberdeen class must have doubled since I joined last Feb and there is lot of extra women. I guess the number of guys attending has increased somewhat as well and there seems to be a wider cross section of ages which is great but we still need more men. The venue is going to get a bit cramped shortly, the beginners bit at the back is getting swamped and the taxi dancers must be dancing their socks off! Just goes to show what a fab hobby/addiction Ceroc is!:grin:

Sandy:wink:

Sandy
31st-January-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by PeterL
Why oh why did I ever leave Aberdeen???;) ;)

Whatever the reason was, COME BACK, WE NEED THE MEN!

Gus
31st-January-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Sandy
Whatever the reason was, COME BACK, WE NEED THE MEN!

If anyone ever cracks the secret of how to get more men to Ceroc ... please tell me and I'll put you on a bonus:wink: Never cracked out how to get more men 'cause I dont think anyone has really sussed exactly what it is that stops men coming ... you would have thought the opportuntity to dance with hordes of women would be incentive enough?

TheTramp
31st-January-2003, 12:09 PM
If anyone ever cracks the secret of how to get more men to Ceroc ... please tell me and I'll put you on a bonusActually, I spend most of my time telling men not to come dancing. So that there's more ladies for me :devil:

Steve

Sandy
31st-January-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Never cracked out how to get more men 'cause I dont think anyone has really sussed exactly what it is that stops men coming ... you would have thought the opportuntity to dance with hordes of women would be incentive enough?

Maybe it depends on what your background is and the kind of folk you work with eg if you worked as a labourer in the shipyards in the West of Scotland i think you would get quite a hard time from some of the workmates. A silly macho thing which is just ridiculous but the film "Billy Elliot" touched on it with the boy's family although that was ballet but same concept. I could understand the ballet thing but there were so many good films with great male dancers who didn't look "mamby pamby". Is it a particular kind of guy who is attracted to dancing? something in the genetic makeup? Or is it just plain fear for a lot of guys, frightened of making a fool of themselves. Could it be back to school days? The whole psychology behind it could be fascinating.

Did you notice that the lover of Mrs Simpson (married to Edward) was a wonderful dancer! If only those ignorant guys realised what a sensuous wonderful thing dancing is.

Dreadful Scathe
31st-January-2003, 04:46 PM
what a sensuous wonderful thing dancing is.

its sensuous ? damn now i cant go back :(

John S
31st-January-2003, 07:27 PM

........... the lover of Mrs Simpson .........

All those years and I never knew!!!!!:sad:

horsey_dude
31st-January-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Gus
If anyone ever cracks the secret of how to get more men to Ceroc ... please tell me and I'll put you on a bonus:wink: Never cracked out how to get more men 'cause I dont think anyone has really sussed exactly what it is that stops men coming ... you would have thought the opportuntity to dance with hordes of women would be incentive enough?

You could change the dress so that women could only dance in mini skirts/sexy longerie/see through tops etc... Of course the problem would then be less women wanting to come.

At the end of the day some men would crawl across broken galss to get up close to an attractive woman. So a good incentive would be for the women in the class to dress up and look as nice as possible in class rather than wearing comfortable casual sensible clothes.

This may sound horrible but I have noticed that women being asked to dance is often about 30% actual dance ability 40% looks and 30% niceness (approachable, friendly, laughs if it goes wrong).

As in the rest of life you will discriminated against based on what you look like......

TheTramp
31st-January-2003, 11:29 PM
I don't think that you're actually right there.

I think the looks percentage is (sadly) much higher than that.

I've seen girls who are gorgeous looking, but can't dance for toffee, not be allowed off the dance floor - while other girls who are much better dancers, and much easier to approach, stand on the side, waiting.

Steve

horsey_dude
31st-January-2003, 11:56 PM
If a woman is too good looking then no one will ask her (just like in nightclubs etc). What is unfair is that to get better you need practise and if no one asks you to dance then what chance do you have?

The other thing makes me glad I am not a woman is that if they are asked to dance by someone who has not washed in a year and who wrenches their arms around then most will feel obligated to say yes.

I think the solution is to have the occasional "ladies night" where only the women are allowed to ask!

Gadget
1st-February-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by horsey_dude
I think the solution is to have the occasional "ladies night" where only the women are allowed to ask!
Good idea, however I think that (sadly) it may lead to the 'lack of men' problem being emphisised even more.

John S
1st-February-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
...... other girls who are much better dancers, and much easier to approach, stand on the side, waiting.

No-one (man or woman) who really wants to dance needs to just stand around and wait to be asked.

(And I know all the stuff about how some women are socially imprinted that they feel they have to wait to be asked, but if they go to Ceroc for any time at all they'll soon realise that they'll get more fun if they ask for it!)

Gary
1st-February-2003, 06:18 PM
Maybe it depends on what your background is and the kind of folk you work with eg if you worked as a labourer in the shipyards in the West of Scotland i think you would get quite a hard time from some of the workmates.

My workplace is pretty white-collar and I still get a hard time. Like that's gonna stop me.

I think if there were a pill guys could take that would instantly turn them into great dancers, they'd take it and start turning up, but the initial period of being a sucky dancer, feeling like you're boring/annoying your partner, obviously failing at something with a girl right there, ... is pretty hard on the male ego. I almost quit (glad I didn't). I guess that's the best thing about modern jive: that initial "being sucky" period for the guys is weeks or months, not years.

I also think that marketing dancing as an opportunity to get close to gorgeous girls would be a bad plan. You'd get guys turning up for the wrong reasons. They'd soon leave, and might scare off some of the girls in the process.

Sandy
3rd-February-2003, 05:21 PM

I think most nights, at Aberdeen anyway, it is the women who do most of the asking! Get in quick before someone else does!

Once you accept this, it is fine. If you want to dance ASK:wink:

Cheers

Sandy

PS sometimes worry I might be a bit pushy:sorry

Tiggerbabe
4th-February-2003, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by John S
No-one (man or woman) who really wants to dance needs to just stand around and wait to be asked.

Amen to that John S. :kiss:

And if I can't see a man to ask :tears: and it's a really good record :D then I just find myself another girl to dance with.:wink:

Jayne
4th-February-2003, 09:43 AM
You could change the dress so that women could only dance in mini skirts/sexy longerie/see through tops etc... Of course the problem would then be less women wanting to come.

PLEASE tell me you're being ODA here!? (she says whilst trying to suppress the feminism rant gathering pace inside her...)

J :what:

TheTramp
4th-February-2003, 10:07 AM
I think it's a great idea Jayne, and I look forward to seeing you in a mini-skirt and see-through top with sexy lingerie on Saturday :wink:

Steve

horsey_dude
4th-February-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Jayne
PLEASE tell me you're being ODA here!? (she says whilst trying to suppress the feminism rant gathering pace inside her...)

J :what:

What does ODA stand for?

TheTramp
4th-February-2003, 11:32 AM
Well, it could stand for Odious Deviant As****e.

But I think that it actually stands for Official Devils Advocate :D

Steve

Jayne
4th-February-2003, 11:51 AM
I think it's a great idea Jayne, and I look forward to seeing you in a mini-skirt and see-through top with sexy lingerie on Saturday :wink:

Steve

:reallymad

TheTramp
4th-February-2003, 11:55 AM
:reallymad Guess not then!! :rolleyes: :D

Steve

Graham
4th-February-2003, 12:19 PM

Steve

HD is on the other side of the world and as far as I'm aware anonymous as far as Jayne et al are concerned. Aren't you being a little too bold? :wink:

TheTramp
4th-February-2003, 12:33 PM
HD is on the other side of the world Ummm. What's HD?

As for being too bold, it wasn't meant to be serious. Hence the :wink: I'm also taking Jayne's :reallymad as not being done in a serious manner either.

I hope this isn't going to develop into a 'kick the English' thread. Else everytime people make a tongue in cheek comment on this forum we'll be getting out the PC police!!

Steve

Graham
4th-February-2003, 12:40 PM
Ummm. What's HD?

As for being too bold, it wasn't meant to be serious. Hence the :wink: I'm also taking Jayne's :reallymad as not being done in a serious manner either.

I hope this isn't going to develop into a 'kick the English' thread. Else everytime people make a tongue in cheek comment on this forum we'll be getting out the PC police!!

Steve

horsey_dude

I wasn't being serious either!! Hence the :wink: in my post!

Kick the English?? You've lost me there.

TheTramp
4th-February-2003, 12:47 PM
Aha. You're saying that it's only safe to post comments like that if you're on the other side of the world, and not likely to meet Jayne in Aberdeen on Saturday. Wonder if I can exchange the flight to Aberdeen for one to Sydney.... :waycool:

As for kicking the English, there's a thread all about it. I could look it up, and post the link. But I'm feeling too lazy. I think it got moved 'Outside'.

Steve

Graham
4th-February-2003, 12:58 PM
Aha. You're saying that it's only safe to post comments like that if you're on the other side of the world, and not likely to meet Jayne in Aberdeen on Saturday. Wonder if I can exchange the flight to Aberdeen for one to Sydney.... :waycool:

By Jove, I think he's got it!

horsey_dude
5th-February-2003, 07:26 AM
Aha. You're saying that it's only safe to post comments like that if you're on the other side of the world, and not likely to meet Jayne in Aberdeen on Saturday.

Steve

Interestingly enough I am not remaining on the other side of the world.... I arrive in London on the 10th of April and some time shortly after that I will be appearing at english and scottish ceroc venues.

I am sure that Jayne is not that fearsome in real life.....

HD
(Still not entirely sure on what ODA is.....)

TheTramp
5th-February-2003, 08:22 AM
I am sure that Jayne is not that fearsome in real life.....She's actually 6'10" with 2 heads and eats small children for breakfast.....:wink:

Look forward to (hopefully) meeting you HD, where I can take some time to explain the principles of the ODA to you.

Steve

Jayne
5th-February-2003, 09:49 AM
She's actually 6'10" with 2 heads and eats small children for breakfast.....:wink:

Yep. That's me. Although I've recently been supplementing my diet with ex-dance-partners...

J :wink:

Gus
5th-February-2003, 10:25 AM
(Still not entirely sure on what ODA is.....)

Dear HD ... re ODA, fear not ... Tramp is only trying to attain imposter level regards this activity and is failing dismally
:wink:

ODA stands for Official Devils Advocate ... dating back to my earlier days on the Forum when I made a point of trying to put forward views whch may have been ignored, missed or too easily written off. All in the great British tradition of supporting the underdog.

Gus .... the only Official Devils Advocate :waycool:

SwingSwingSwing
5th-February-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Gus
Gus .... the only Official Devils Advocate :waycool:

Yeah, but are you a qualifed ODA? Member of the SODA? (society of ODAs). Attend twice yearly training sessions with Yoda?

:wink:

SwingSwingSwing

Dreadful Scathe
5th-February-2003, 10:41 AM

I am sure that Jayne is not that fearsome in real life.....

P.W.T

(pixie with teeth) :)

Graham
5th-February-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
P.W.T

(pixie with teeth) :)

I hope you learned more from Bruce Lee than the nice quote! :wink:

horsey_dude
5th-February-2003, 10:50 AM
She's actually 6'10"
Steve

I just danced tonight with someone who is 6'4" plus and found it no problem.. I havn't seen her for several years but my technique must be better since I don't stand on tip toes when dancing with her now (unless I have grown?).

I went to intermediate class instead of advanced and it was really a relief. People in Advanced class take it all soooo seriously....

horsey_dude
5th-February-2003, 10:52 AM

Look forward to (hopefully) meeting you HD, where I can take some time to explain the principles of the ODA to you.

Steve

Its a deal. I have noted down all of your self deprecating comments so I have a picture in my mind of a cripppled hunchbacked dwarf that dances like gollum having a seizure.

Of course if you were actually just being modest then I will have a hard time recognizing you!

Gus
5th-February-2003, 11:00 AM
Its a deal. I have noted down all of your self deprecating comments so I have a picture in my mind of a cripppled hunchbacked dwarf that dances like gollum having a seizure.

By gum lad, an amazing description of Tramp on a good day ... are you Uri Gellar in disguise??:wink:

Jayne
5th-February-2003, 12:06 PM

As Gus says, you've got Steve spot on!!

(And steve, if you come back saying that you're "just a beginner" you'll get a clip round the ear when I see you on saturday!!!)

Jayne :devil:

TheTramp
5th-February-2003, 12:14 PM
Its a deal. I have noted down all of your self deprecating comments so I have a picture in my mind of a cripppled hunchbacked dwarf that dances like gollum having a seizure.Ummm. That'd be me. Except you forgot the bit about being a beginner....

(And steve, if you come back saying that you're "just a beginner" you'll get a clip round the ear when I see you on saturday!!!)Look forward to seeing you on Saturday Jayne!! :drool:

Steve

Graham
5th-February-2003, 12:19 PM
Roll up! Roll up! Get your tickets here! Only a quid to see the hunchbacked dwarf beaten to a pulp by the giant baby-eater! Chance of a life time! Tell your grandchildren!

Jayne
5th-February-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Graham
Roll up! Roll up! Get your tickets here! Only a quid to see the hunchbacked dwarf beaten to a pulp by the giant baby-eater! Chance of a life time! Tell your grandchildren!

errrmm... do I get a cut of the profit from these tickets??

See you on saturday Tramp - and you can forget about any shoulder rubs!!!

Jayne
:nice:

TheTramp
5th-February-2003, 06:16 PM
See you on saturday Tramp - and you can forget about any shoulder rubs!!!:tears:

How about if I beg???

Steve

Jayne
5th-February-2003, 06:41 PM
:tears:

How about if I beg???

Steve

The way things are going at the moment it'll be me who'll need the shoulder rub... :tears:

As for the begging, you could try it. The thing with dealing with women is you never know what the answer might be - it why you (plural) like us!

TheTramp
5th-February-2003, 06:43 PM
The way things are going at the moment it'll be me who'll need the shoulder rub... I'm sure I could be persuaded.

As for the begging, you could try it. The thing with dealing with women is you never know what the answer might be - it why you (plural) like us!Umm. Is that the reason why I (singular) like you (plural) :D

Steve

Jayne
5th-February-2003, 06:49 PM
I'm sure I could be persuaded.

Umm. Is that the reason why I (singular) like you (plural) :D

Steve

It (singular) is one of many reasons (plural)...

Than there's our ability to time things so we're running fashionably late; the way we take half a dozen bottles into the shower (and don't we (plural) look great for it? :wink: ); the excitment of guessing what mood we'll be in in five minutes time... the list goes on but time runs out...

more pills. need more pills....

TheTramp
5th-February-2003, 06:50 PM
the way we take half a dozen bottles into the shower (and don't we (plural) look great for it? ); Wine? Whisky? Vodka? Lager?

Steve

Jayne
5th-February-2003, 06:53 PM
Wine? Whisky? Vodka? Lager?

Steve

you forgot the rum and tequila! And that's a quiet night in!

TheTramp
5th-February-2003, 06:55 PM
And death in the morning after??? :D

Steve

Jayne
5th-February-2003, 06:58 PM
And death in the morning after??? :D

Steve

only if you're a big jessie!

TheTramp
5th-February-2003, 07:00 PM
only if you're a big jessie!Okie. I freely admit it, I'm a big jessie!!

But you love me anyhow, right Jayne?? :wink:

Steve

Jayne
5th-February-2003, 07:03 PM
But you love me anyhow, right Jayne?? :wink:

That depends on how many spins you make me do on saturday...

J :nice:

TheTramp
5th-February-2003, 07:04 PM
That depends on how many spins you make me do on saturday... Does the amount increase or decrease along with the number of spins, cos I have a feeling that you'll either end up doing 0 spins. Or 298529365927365987460384659263530 :D

Steve

Jayne
5th-February-2003, 07:08 PM
Does the amount increase or decrease along with the number of spins, cos I have a feeling that you'll either end up doing 0 spins. Or 298529365927365987460384659263530 :D
Steve

mmmmm... well, I quite impressed at how many I managed last time (and that fact that you continued to turn me, despite the screams!!! :what: ) but having said that, I couldn't dance for the rest of the record....

I think I'll go with less is more.

J :nice:

more pills, more pills...

TheTramp
5th-February-2003, 07:09 PM
but having said that, I couldn't dance for the rest of the record....Me neither. Or the first part either!! <-- JaB :D

Steve

Jayne
5th-February-2003, 07:11 PM
Me neither. Or the first part either!! <-- JaB :D

Steve

good grief (she says whilst picking herself off the floor)!!! where was your trademark phrase Tramp???!!!

:nice:

TheTramp
5th-February-2003, 07:21 PM
where was your trademark phrase Tramp???!!!Umm. It's there. JaB <-- Just a Beginner :D

Steve

Jayne
5th-February-2003, 07:27 PM
Umm. It's there. JaB <-- Just a Beginner :D

Steve

doh! I thought that was a "jab" as in "pulling a leg"...

I need to go home.... well I'm supposed to be going dancin' tonight but I'll probably just collapse on the sofa when i get home... :tears:

See ya t'row!

J :o (that's me yawning...)

Graham
5th-February-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Jayne
doh! I thought that was a "jab" as in "pulling a leg"...

Good to see our future health is safe in the hands of our finest minds. :wink:

Jayne
6th-February-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Graham
Good to see our future health is safe in the hands of our finest minds. :wink:

Be afraid.

Be very afraid. :what:

TheTramp
6th-February-2003, 06:28 PM
I (singular) am, Jayne.

Very afraid. :na: